Page 169 of 226 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172173179219 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 2255

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Tuesday Night League: newer synthetics, narrow THS

566 Series: 179-183-204

Missed a 7-pin in the 4th frame and then chopped a 2-4-5 in the 9th. No carry to speak of.

Switched to the 300A for Game 2, but still no carry. Only open was a single 8-pin in the 7th.

Opened in the 1st frame of Game 3; chopping a 4-7. Opened again in the 6th on a single 9-pin...but managed to put 4 strikes together to salvage the 204 and help the team take at least one point on the evening.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.00 pins
    Strikes: 38% (1 hambone, 1 double, and 7 singles)
    Spares: 73% picked up

Single Pin spares: 78% (11/14)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (6x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, nor 5-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 60% (3/5)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: N/A

Average over 3 games: 188.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 199.67.

Another frustrating Tuesday night. A miss right was left of the headpin. A miss left was a 4-pin or 4-7 or 6-10. I was 6 for 6 on 10-pins...but a strike rate under 40% is exhausting. Some really nice pocket shots that left a stone 8-pin...a couple 9-pins. One of my better pocket hits actually left a 4-7...somehow??

The Reax Pearl was useless in practice so I switched to the Innovate after a couple frames. The Innovate was too erratic. The Track 300A allowed me to find the pocket...but there's just no carry with that ball. The Scandal Pearl turned out to be my best option...but I had to throw it perfectly...and even then it was only 65/35 that I'd strike.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 172; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Have you ever run into a condition where the Track carried? If not why do you keep trying it? Looks like you would do just as well throwing a White Dot or a Maxim.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Have you ever run into a condition where the Track carried? If not why do you keep trying it? Looks like you would do just as well throwing a White Dot or a Maxim.
    I wonder if it's being stuck in the system, start with this ball, switch to this ball next, then to the next ball in the predetermined order of progression.

Besides the Track ball never working....
    It seems the ball mentioned as working most of the time is the Scandal Pearl, I asked why not just use it the whole night......

We all have balls that never seemed to work that well or balls that become the go-to ball at least for a period of time, personally I give away the balls that
    don't work for me and use the balls that are working.

Rather than sticking with a predetermined progression of balls, it seems more advantageous to use the ball that works on the lanes that day.

I know some guys that want to use all the balls in their bag, personally I don't care, if a ball is working, I'll use it all night.

Everyone has to do their own thing, whatever works for them is good, it just pays to adapt as you learn what works and what doesn't work for your game.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I wonder if it's being stuck in the system, start with this ball, switch to this ball next, then to the next ball in the predetermined order of progression.

Besides the Track ball never working....
    It seems the ball mentioned as working most of the time is the Scandal Pearl, I asked why not just use it the whole night......

We all have balls that never seemed to work that well or balls that become the go-to ball at least for a period of time, personally I give away the balls that
    don't work for me and use the balls that are working.

Rather than sticking with a predetermined progression of balls, it seems more advantageous to use the ball that works on the lanes that day.

I know some guys that want to use all the balls in their bag, personally I don't care, if a ball is working, I'll use it all night.

Everyone has to do their own thing, whatever works for them is good, it just pays to adapt as you learn what works and what doesn't work for your game.
    I would have to agree with Tony here. I understand you have a progression that you want to use, but it seems that you are consistently having issues when using this progression. Seems like you are fighting against something that isn't working because that's what you think you "should be doing". As Tony said, everyone should do their own thing and what works for them, but it seems like maybe you'd benefit from an attempt to change it up. Maybe give tony's suggesstion(using the Scandal Pearl right away and possibly the whole night) a try. What's the worst that will happen? You either have one bad night and can then put that test to bed or it could end up working out. Just a thought.

Here's the problem with the "progression" concept. I will use my own preferences as an example. I like to start with the Fanatic BTU to take advantage of shim that the THS gives us in the track area. When that area starts to dry up, either over-hooking or burning up, I like to switch to my Rocket Ship and move about 5 and 3 left. When that starts to go away, I like to jump another 3 and 2 left and switch to the Code Black. I continue with the Code black until I reach the end of my comfort zone, and then ball down to the Fight until that no longer works. At that point, I will move back right about five boards, and go back to the BTU, making sure to be more up the back of the ball. I don't have a whole lot of carry, so my spare shooting better be really good.

This is what happens in a perfect world, but, as we all know, the world is rarely perfect! What happens when everyone else on the pair is starting on the track area? BTU at the beginning is out the door! What happens when my original line goes away and my "usual" move puts me smack dab on top of someone else? Rocket Ship stays in the bag and I go directly to the Code Black, or the Fight, depending on where others are playing at the end of the pattern.

A "progression" is like a pair of handcuffs that keep you from listening to what the lanes are telling you. Not listening to the lanes is like not listening to your wife; it rarely ends up well!

Chats: 32

I suggested this same thing back a while ago and fear of getting to deep for him to be able to play the area he wants to play was the reasoning behind sticking to the progression. I don't agree and think he should try it. I also believe aslan has stumbled upon what types of balls that work for him over the last two seasons. From what I've been able to tell lower to mid rg equipment with strong covers and less surface. Just my thought be interesting if he sees a similar conclusion.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Brite1 View Post
    I would have to agree with Tony here. I understand you have a progression that you want to use, but it seems that you are consistently having issues when using this progression. Seems like you are fighting against something that isn't working because that's what you think you "should be doing". As Tony said, everyone should do their own thing and what works for them, but it seems like maybe you'd benefit from an attempt to change it up. Maybe give tony's suggesstion(using the Scandal Pearl right away and possibly the whole night) a try. What's the worst that will happen? You either have one bad night and can then put that test to bed or it could end up working out. Just a thought.
    He indicated that I wasn't the first to suggest it, Amyers had previously said the same thing, I don't remember what exactly he said about why, I think it was something about that wasn't the right time / fit for that ball.
    For me even if it didn't work one time doesn't mean it won't another. I have had nights I've thrown a single ball all or most of the night, it depends on how it's performing and besides me and how I'm rolling the ball,it's also the lane and the other players on the lane that make a difference. Other nights, same lanes,
    Last edited by Tony; 05-24-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    He indicated that I wasn't the first to suggest it, Amyers had previously said the same thing, I don't remember what exactly he said about why, I think it was something about that wasn't the right time / fit for that ball.
    For me even if it didn't work one time doesn't mean it won't another. I have had nights I've thrown a single ball all or most of the night, it depends on how it's performing and besides me and how I'm rolling the ball,it's also the lane and the other players on the lane that make a difference. Other nights, same lanes,
    Ah yeah my bad. I hadn't looked back far enough to see that Aymers suggested it first. I see he replied just before you though. Either way, I agree with both of you. And all I'm saying is I would think it's worth giving it a try. Again worst that happens is Aslan finds out it doesn't work. If that's the case, he can always go back to trying his progression. On the other hand it could work out and be the magic solution to put him over the top!

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I suggested this same thing back a while ago and fear of getting to deep for him to be able to play the area he wants to play was the reasoning behind sticking to the progression. I don't agree and think he should try it. I also believe aslan has stumbled upon what types of balls that work for him over the last two seasons. From what I've been able to tell lower to mid rg equipment with strong covers and less surface. Just my thought be interesting if he sees a similar conclusion.
    I know he's spoken many times about carrying all pearl balls, so I suspect he does. I was also in a zone where I was primarily using pearl balls, and found with some experimentation on surface changes, to my surprise that other surfaces worked for me too, I mentioned this might be something to consider if the new locations he plays use more oil on the house pattern.

I have a friend who is a very, very good bowler. He is a past ABC Nationals all-events Champion. He is very old school in terms of bowling balls, preferring to stick with one ball and continuing to move left (yes, he has the rev rate to do it!). One night, after he shot 260-280-200, I suggested that the reason that he averages 23 pins lower the third game than he does the first is his refusal to change balls, he responded, "Rob, I had 540 turning. What was I supposed to do, change balls?" I replied, "Being that hindsight is always 20/20, I think the obvious answer is Yes!"

Page 169 of 226 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172173179219 ... LastLast