Page 56 of 226 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Tuesday League Night: medium-heavy oil synthetics

510 Series: 172-167-171

Trivia. Whats the lowest you can score in a game with only 1 open frame? 90. But if I had to guess the average score…I'd say it's 181 on the low end to probably 226 on the high end. I got a 172. Two frames away from an all-spare game. I struck in the 5th and opened with a 3-7-10 split in the 6th.

Game 2 was similar to Game 1; lots of spares and few strikes…but it was slightly different in that I struck twice and opened twice…including a 4-6 split in the 10th.

Game 3 the lanes finally started breaking down enough where my shot carried. I struck more often but early on had some issues with splits…a 2-9 in the 1st and a 3-10 in the 4th….and missed my second make-able spare of the series, a 6-10 in the 2nd.

Arguably significant/insignificant Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.62 pins
    Strikes: 25% (1 double and 6 singles)
    Spares: 73% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (10/10)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 4-pin and 7-pin (3x each).

Multiple Pin spares: 53% (7/13)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Pocket Percentage: 50%
    Pocket Carry: 50%
    Double Percentage: 0%

Average over 3 games: 170.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 170.00.

Played one of the other top teams/contenders so it was a big game. The competition wasn't unbeatable and both teams struggled with the oil volume/length. I was able to survive with solid spare shooting, but it wasn't until about the 5th frame of Game 3 that my ball showed any noticeable down lane movement.

We lost all 4 points…the last two games they beat us by 2 pins then again by 2 pins. Another consistent night…but not that memorable. I was happy with the spare shooting; especially the singe-pins.
    Hey what you should have been happy with was at least managing 50% pocket percentage on what's adverse conditions for you. Take your victories where you can get them. still should be much higher but a lot better than 30-35% crap you did have going on.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Hey what you should have been happy with was at least managing 50% pocket percentage on what's adverse conditions for you. Take your victories where you can get them. still should be much higher but a lot better than 30-35% crap you did have going on.
    I've found the pocket more the last couple outings. For me, the best part was the 100% single-pin spare shooting. Especially when about 70-80% of those were corner pins. I gotta be patient and hope that the strikes will eventually come...but I need to keep my spare shooting game at a high level while I'm waiting.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I've found the pocket more the last couple outings. For me, the best part was the 100% single-pin spare shooting. Especially when about 70-80% of those were corner pins. I gotta be patient and hope that the strikes will eventually come...but I need to keep my spare shooting game at a high level while I'm waiting.
    Wait, if you can hit the head pin 70-80% of the time now, we need to cut your handicap down 50 %

Chats: 0

I gotta be patient and hope that the strikes will eventually come...but I need to keep my spare shooting game at a high level while I'm waiting. Aslan you hit the bulls eye with this sentence. Grow that mental game.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Monday Practice: medium oil synthetics

Warm-Up Game: 163

530 Series: 188-157-185
    Missed a single 6-pin in the 4th and chopped a 3-5-6 in the 9th...so it was a rather disappointing result given the overall performance. By the 4th frame of Game 2 I was coming in right. Sometimes it was not getting my shoulders square and pushing the ball right...sometimes it was just a flat release. But could only convert half of the 4 washouts. Game 3 I started out with a 4-bagger but then chopped a couple make-able multi-pin spares and left a 4-6 split to bring that score down to sub-reality level.

600 Series: 204-213 (clean)-183
    Game 4 I chopped a 1-3-6-9 leave in the 3rd frame; my only open. Game 5 I picked up a 1-2-10 in the 5th to save a clean game. And Game 7 was a lot of 9 /s where my only open was a missed single 7-pin in the 8th.

Arguably Useful Statistics:
    First Ball Average: 8.54 pins
    Strikes: 36% (1 4-bagger, 2 turkeys, 5 doubles and 9 singles)
    Spares: 71% picked up

Single Pin spares: 86% (19/22)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (6x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 5-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 56% (13/23)
    Most common multi-pin spare leaves: 2-4-5 (3x).

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Pocket Percentage: 44%
    Pocket Carry: 82%
    Double Percentage: 34%

Average over 7 games: 184.71.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 188.57.

This practice the lanes weren't quite so heavy/long in terms of oil...and my adjusted, less aggressive lines seemed to play better. I was playing more of a straight line into the pocket...laying it down about the 6-board and about 7-10 board area at the arrows. Even playing that far outside...any attempt to just play it up the 5-6 boards and have it catch dry downlane...it wasn't going to happen. Misses even 2 boards right were at best a 2-4-5 leave and at worst I'd only knock over the 6-9-10 or 6-8-9-10.

But, the drawback to a straight at the pocket kinda shot is you have carry issues and very little room for error. > 1 board miss left and I'd go brooklyn. > 2 board miss right and I'd be lucky to hit the headpin. Carry seemed "okay"...I definitely had a few collapsed pockets that padded the numbers. And playing this type of game...with less carry and very little room for error...the difference between bowling in the 170s/180s versus 140s/150s/160s is how good your spare game is that particular day.

The stats were improved over last practice. Strikes were up, single-pin spare shooting was solid, and I was hitting the pocket a fair amount...and I'm always glad to bowl a clean game...I'm just still struggling with consistency. Something is still not right with my timing, thumb fit, release, and shoulder position that is causing me (even when I hit my mark) to miss the headpin. Sometimes timing is off and I pull it, sometimes I drop the ball as it is about to come off my hand, sometimes I get very little rotation, sometimes I come over the top, and sometimes it just seems like I don't get square/parallel with the foul line...so the ball isn't going in the direction you want it to...even if you hit your mark.

We'll see how Tuesday league play goes. It would be nice to roll a few 180+ games, or maybe a 535+ series, maybe a couple clean games, or maybe just a 245+ game. But, I'm worried that usually after a good practice I have a league night letdown.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Tuesday League Night: medium-heavy oil synthetics

Had time for a few warm-up games: 514 Series: 179-168-167

This was good because even though it wasn't on the lanes I was playing on...it gave me a good idea what ball to start with and how the lanes were playing. I didn't have to waste 1/2 of Game 1 figuring that out.

456 Series: 186-116-157

In practice I threw 6 straight strikes to start. 4 of them I wasn't even trying, I was just trying to burn in a line to the right of my line for 'miss room'. So obviously, I was feeling pretty good and pretty confident that it would be a big night.

Game 1 was 'okay'. I chopped a 6-10 in the 4th and then couldn't convert the 1-2-10 washout in the 8th...otherwise clean with a decent amount of striking.

Game 2 was 2 splits, 2 missed single-pin spares, and 3 washouts. Didn't strike once. Opened every frame after the 4th.

Game 3 I finally broke down and put the wrist brace on. I just wasn't getting hardly any axis tilt on the ball and zero axis rotation. And I was QUITE tired of watching my ball hit right of the headpin. Well, that was a disaster. It took me a frame or two to get used to it...and the ball was hooking SO much off my hand that I was missing WAY left. I tried to move in, I tried to ball down to the Encounter and then to the less aggressive Encounter...no luck. And I didn't have time to switch lines...because I'd have needed a drastic shift to counter what the wrist brace was doing. EVERY shot was left. I had 3 strikes, ALL brooklyns. I only hit right ONCE and that was with the weakest Encounter when I missed my target about 3.5 boards right and it left me the 1-2-4.

First Ball Average: 8.44 pins
    Strikes: 26% (5 doubles and 7 singles)
    Spares: 53% picked up

Single Pin spares: 75% (12/16)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 7-pin (5x).

Multiple Pin spares: 41% (13/31)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2 (4x)

Splits: 20% (1/5)

Pocket Percentage: 25%
    Pocket Carry: 106%
    Double Percentage: 11%

Average over 6 games: 161.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 168.33.

Miserable. My release is just NOT right. Something is VERY wrong with it. Another night of leaving the 7-pin (for a righty?) a bunch of times and my most common multi-pin leave was the 1-2...unable to get back to the pocket. And it's GOTTA be release oriented...because as soon as I put the wrist brace on...I was having trouble picking up the 3-6 because the Rhythm wanted to hook SO much. The same Rhythm that PRIOR to wearing the wrist brace...was consistently missing right in Game 2.

We'll see. I have my lesson this evening.

And the REAL frustration...is I'm just tired of trying to do things the RIGHT way yet see LESS results than bowlers out on the lanes throwing the WRONG way. I'm tired of watching bowlers just go up there and drop the ball...and wow...they got a nice 7-bagger going!! Yet here I am...trying to not loft the ball...trying to stay behind the ball rather than up the side...and I'm bowling in the 150s. And when you strike roughly 25% of the time...that means your spare shooting has to be perfect. It's REALLY hard to relax...when you KNOW your spare game has to be perfect JUST to salvage a score in the 180s.

We'll see. Something has to change though. I've passed on the sport shot league for the summer and if this continues I won't bother re-joining in the Fall. I was thinking of trying my luck in some tournaments...but that seems like a silly fantasy at this point. And to be honest, if I can't fix this in time for the Summer season...I might not bowl any league. Put my effort into something else. Because at the end of the day, it's supposed to be fun. And 116-157...NOT fun. Embarrassing. And rediculous. The team has absolutely POOed the bed...went from 1st place to last I checked 12th. Our two good bowlers have slumped. Our two horrible bowlers are unable to improve. And I haven't improved at all. So...I know...mini rant...but what a frustrating way to end a night that at the onset looked like it was going to be a good evening. Only took 1 point from a team that was horrible.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Monday Practice: medium-heavy oil synthetics

Warm-Up Game: 157?? 159??
    I didn't keep score. Was trying to find my line and ball.

482 Series: 192-162-128
    In Game 1 I missed a single 2-pin in the 5th and then chopped a 2-8 in the 9th. Otherwise clean even though I didn't strike much. A couple 1-2-10s and a chopped 6-10 kinda killed me in Game 2. Game 3 I only made one spare. Granted, 2 were washouts and 3 were splits.

571 Series: 168-204-199
    Game 4 I was 2 splits away from a clean game…but mostly spares. Game 5 I ran a few strikes together late and was only a couple splits away from a clean game. Game 6 I started with a 4-bagger but left a 4-7-9-10 split in the 7th and chopped the 1-2-4 washout in the 10th.

515 Series: 159-173-183
    Game 7 I had a washout and a couple chops to deal with. Game 8 I still couldn't strike; but only opened on a 1-3-5-6-9-10 chop in the 6th. Game 9 I chopped a 6-10 in the 4th and then a 1-2 in the 8th…otherwise clean.

Arguably Useful Statistics:
    First Ball Average: 8.60 pins
    Strikes: 35% (1 4-bagger, 2 turkeys, 3 doubles and 18 singles)
    Spares: 60% picked up

Single Pin spares: 83% (20/24)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 4-pin (8x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, nor 5-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 45% (17/37)
    Most common multi-pin spare leaves: 1-2-8 and 1-2 (4x each).

Splits: 0% (0/7)

Pocket Percentage: 43%
    Pocket Carry: 80%
    Double Percentage: 20%

Average over 9 games: 174.22.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 176.44.

Similar to last week's practice. Despite the positive lesson, I was struggling to find a release that consistently got me to the pocket.

Much of that was thumb fit. The new IT insert gor the Bullet Train is too small. The ball kept getting hung up. I tried powder, I tried thumb tape…I tried switching inserts…adding tape to the next biggest insert…just a nightmare. I also had to add some tape to each of the other balls I was throwing as well. Trying to find that dang "perfect fit"…not dropping it…not throwing it through the ceiling.

And the lane conditions weren't helping. I ended up playing with my left foot on the 10-board and targeting just outside of the 5-board. To pick up left side multi-pin spares using my strike ball…I had to loft the right gutter. NOT the ideal entry angle to strike! But there wasn't much dry and my release was screwed up trying to get my thumb situation fixed…so it was either move way right and throw straight at the pocket…or miss right constantly and get the 1-2-8 or 1-2. Left a lot of 4-pins….more than usual. That makes me think the straighter entry angle is coming in high and kicking the headpin sideways, clipping the 2-pin, but not driving it into the 4-pin. More splits than usual because a miss slightly left and you're in splitsville. A miss slightly right and it's the 1-2-8. Maybe a board each way to work with.

Tuesday League Night: medium oil synthetics

460 Series: 194 (clean)-121-145

Game 1 I didn't strike much; but it was clean and I was happy about that. Figured once the strikes started coming, I'd be golden.

Game 2 was a collapse, just like last week. 4 splits, a 1-2-8-10 washout, and a stone 8 in the 10th that I missed. I was disappointed, for sure, but this was BETTER than the 116 I threw in Game 2 last week. It was better, because I really only missed 1 make-able spare…and that was on a bad luck stone 8. Only one strike though.

Game 3 I opened on a 3-6-10 in the 3rd by missing right with my spare ball. Then in the 5th I opened with a 3-6-10 again and used my strike ball and clipped the 3 off. In the 6th I left a 1-2-3-5-7 because the ball got stuck on my thumb. Then I managed to strike a couple times before I chopped a 1-2-4-8 washout in the 10th.

First Ball Average: 8.10 pins
    Strikes: 19% (6 singles)

Single Pin spares: 87% (7/8)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (4x).

Multiple Pin spares: 47% (8/17)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 3-6-10 (4x)

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Pocket Percentage: 41%
    Pocket Carry: 46%

Average over 3 games: 153.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 157.00.

Miserable AGAIN! I mean, I like the clean game, I like the spare shooting…but the carry was non-existent.

This time was different than last time. I wasn't missing right…I was missing left. Again…these dang lanes…if they don't oil before league play…there's no way to plan for what you're going to get. Monday I practiced and adjusted my approach due to how slick the conditions were. I de-oiled the Bullet Train and even gave it a once over with a 500 Abralon pad. Used the Bullet Train in Game 1…balled down to the Rhythm in Game 2…then the more aggressive Encounter in the first half of Game 3 and the less aggressive Encounter the last half. The lanes were slightly drier to start with…and just seemed to transition quicker than what I'm used to.

I guess I'm not out of the slump yet. Too bad with the OC Open this weekend. : (

OC USBC Open Tournament: low oil synthetics

Doubles:
    473 Series: 182-162-129

Started out 9 /, 9 /, X, 9 /, 9 /, X…then a converted washout, then I picked up a 1-2-10 washout…looking forward to a clean game…but I chopped the 2-5 in the 9th…ended clean in the 10th for an 'okay' 182.

Game 2 was a mirror of #1…X, X, 9 /, X, 9 /, 9 /...but then I missed a single 10-pin in the 7th and mentally collapsed ending with a washout, split, washout.

Game 3 I just couldn't snap out of it. split, missed single 4-pin, washout, split, washout to start. I managed to get a few marks before chopping a 2-4-8 in the 9th. Salvaged a 129 with a decent 10th.

Singles:
    529 Series: 186-154-189

Strike rate went up when we switched to the singles pair. In Game 1, I only opened with a 6-7-10 split in the 2nd and a chopped 1-2-8.

Game 2 I only made one spare but struck a bit to combat all the opens.

Game 3 I felt I was getting lower and making better shots…only had 2 opens; a 4-6 split I nearly converted in the 4th and chopped 1-2-4 washout in the 10th.

PinPal (and other) Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.52 pins
    Strikes: 34% (2 turkeys, 3 doubles, 10 singles)
    Spares: 48% picked up

Single Pin spares: 75% (12/16)
    Most common single pin leaves: 5-pin (4x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 32% (8/25)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-8 (3x)

Splits: 0% (0/7)

Pocket Percentage: 41%
    Pocket Carry: 84%
    Double Percentage: 36%

Average over 6 games: 167.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 172.83.

I was happy with my single-pin spare shooting. The lanes were drier than usual so I couldn't play too far outside….and more splits than usual. Still wrestling with an inconsistent release. Not sure if it's a wrist position issue, or a thumb issue, or a relaxation issue, or what. But I'm just not seeing a good roll.

Tuesday League Night: medium oil synthetics

458 Series: 144-170-144

Good times.

Game 1: A whole game of missing right…only 2 strikes.

Game 2 was clean through 9 frames except for a chopped 1-3-6 in the 3rd. I decided to put the wrist brace on…I mean I had my most aggressive ball sanded down and was still missing right…so the only option I had was putting the wrist brace on and try to create some revs. Didn't shoot at my first single-pin spare until the 5th frame of Game 2. Missed left every frame until the 8th…when I balled down and then started missing right including a 1-2-10 in the 10th.

Game 3 I opened with a missed single 10-pin…so that didn't put me into a good mood/mindset. Had to ball down again and while the less aggressive Encounter seemed to do fine on the left lane (X, 9 /, X, 3 /, X 7 /)…the more aggressive Encounter missed left all 3 frames; all 3 open (5 2, 7 2, 7 2).

First Ball Average: 7.69 pins
    Strikes: 21% (7 singles)

Single Pin spares: 75% (3/4)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (2x).

Multiple Pin spares: 57% (12/21)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 6-10, 3-6-10, 1-2-4, 1-2-3-4-5-7-8 (2x each)

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Pocket Percentage: 31%
    Pocket Carry: 70%

Average over 3 games: 152.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 156.33.

Mudpuppy Cliff Notes: Garbage.

Page 56 of 226 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast