Page 65 of 226 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115165 ... LastLast

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    If it's a round thumb hole, I charge a whole $5 to drill the thumb hole in the slug, drill the hole in the ball for the slug, and glue the new slug into place.
    I thought it was $10 just to have it filled? And I'm kinda lost on the "slug" part. Mine don't have "slugs" inserted in them...just the hole in the ball (lined with a great deal of tape). I know many people insist on actually adding "slugs" to a drilled ball. So are you saying to fill it in and redrill the hole it's only $5? How can it be $55 to drill 3 holes but $5 to drill one? Mathematically it's going to make my head explode.

Chats: 32

Plug- pour liquid in hole wait for drying then redrill takes about two days

Slug- Drill out hole to the size of slug, insert slug, drill hole takes 5 minutes. Most people only slug thumb holes.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I thought it was $10 just to have it filled? And I'm kinda lost on the "slug" part. Mine don't have "slugs" inserted in them...just the hole in the ball (lined with a great deal of tape). I know many people insist on actually adding "slugs" to a drilled ball. So are you saying to fill it in and redrill the hole it's only $5? How can it be $55 to drill 3 holes but $5 to drill one? Mathematically it's going to make my head explode.
    Well first off, I charge $45 to drill.

That includes placing the grip center line in such a way that gives you the layout you've selected.

That also includes marking up the spans so the ball feels right.

Converting from the straight thumb hole into the ball is FAR easier than 1/3 of drilling the whole ball.

Using the Ferrari Jig, I drill a thumb hole of a specific size into the center of a slug (no pitches).

Then I measure the pitches and size of your current ball's thumb hole.

I position the ball in the jig such that I would drill right into the center of your current thumb hole.

Then drill a larger hole to fit the slug size.

Glue the slug into place, then cut the part of the slug off that is sticking out of the ball.

Finally I bevel the new thumb hole.

Now that I list it out, I should charge $10 for it as a stand alone option.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Now that I list it out, I should charge $10 for it as a stand alone option.
    Or make it $12...give ole Aslan a $2 kicker for helping you realize more profit potential. Hmm??

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Or make it $12...give ole Aslan a $2 kicker for helping you realize more profit potential. Hmm??
    Well if you like the kicker, lets make it $15

And Aslan learns something new today

Current arsenal

Tuesday League Night: low-medium oil synthetics

532 Series: 163-176-193

Disappointed that scores weren't higher wearing the wrist brace. Game 1 I was doing 'okay'…just had a couple splits I couldn't convert and then pulled a shot at the 1-3 in the 10th and opened. Game 2 was similar but no splits. My only open cost me big though; a - 9 following a spare. Game 3 I was about ready to just give up after starting out with 3 splits in the first 4 frames and then missed a 6-10 in the 6th. But I managed to string a 4-bagger together to end things and salvage a decent 190s game.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.39 pins
    Strikes: 36% (1 4-bagger, 1 double, and 6 singles)
    Spares: 65% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (5/5)
    Most common single-pin leave: n/a.
    Left a 1-pin, 2-pin, 3-pin, 6-pin, and 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 53% (8/15)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 (4x).

Splits: 20% (1/5)

Average over 3 games: 177.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: n/a.

Expectations are pretty high…so it took a little retrospection to appreciate that tonight wasn't as bad as it seemed.

1) My strong performance at the end of Game 3 helped our team take 3 points.
    2) I was 100% at single-pin spares.
    3) All my pinpal stats were positive including a respectable strike rate of nearly 40%.
    4) I nearly threw 2 clean games…only 3 non-split frames where I opened.
    5) I met my goal of 525+ and bowled my highest series that I've bowled in this league this season and 3rd highest since I joined the league last season.

I wore the wrist brace and got better revs…but I'm not sure it served it's main purpose of keeping my release consistent. By the end of the night I was standing straighter and lofting a little bit. It just felt more natural and allowed me to be balanced and follow-through and get good motion on the ball.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Wednesday League Night: low oil synthetics

To clarify…a pattern with light oil on the outside, probably a bit shorter than standard, and a good deal of oil volume in the center.

614 Series: 221 (clean)-212-181

Game 1 was clean. I missed right on a few shots but was able to pick up the spares. Game 2 started out even better until I opened for the first time in the 6th frame on a single 4-pin…then released a shot flat and left the 2-8 which I chopped. But, I finished strong and 'almost' stole the point for our team…had I struck out I think we'd have tied. Game 3, again, looked even better; clean through 6. But then I left a 5-10 split in the 7th and again in the 9th. Both times the ball stuck just a little. I was having VISE IT grip issues as my usual one was getting tight but the next size up was too big.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.12 pins
    Strikes: 45% (3 turkeys, 2 doubles, and 2 singles)
    Spares: 76% picked up

Single Pin spares: 90% (9/10)
    Most common single-pin leave: 7-pin and 2-pin (3x each).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 5-pin, 6-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 57% (4/7)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 5-9 split (2x).

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 204.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 208.00.

Temper the excitement for a moment….
    1) This is in the AMF house that has ideal conditions for my game…
    and 2)…I am 'sorta' cheating by wearing my wrist brace.

But…
    - it's my highest sanctioned series ever.
    - it was my first sanctioned 600.
    - our team took 3 out of 4 points (they lost all 4 against a bye team last week when I skipped)

The Pinpal stats seem to paint an accurate picture. The previous league night I struck about the same…but tonight I just ran them together better. The previous league night my spare shooting was off and tonight it was 76%. Whats weird is the previous league night I picked up a few hard ones; 2-8, 2-7-8 split, and 3-9-10 split. Tonight my only multi-pin misses were the 2-8, 5-10 split, and 5-10 split.

But, it felt good. The other team was stacked with a good female player and two 180s/190s guys and I beat everyone on their team and my team scratch. I was bummed I couldn't get just one more clean game. I've never had 2 or 3 clean games in one series. And I missed men's side pot AGAIN…this time by 26 pins. The wrist brace was cumbersome and I don't like it…but it keeps my hand from breaking backwards. Breaking isn't a bad thing if you can get it back to cupped as it releases the ball (like Mike Fagan does)…but it was wreaking havoc on my game as sometimes I'd get it partially back and then the next shot it would be releasing the ball from above. The brace just keeps the release relatively consistent shot to shot.

And remember…as the season started I made the bold prediction that I'd average 30 pins higher in one house versus my home center…and while so far it's been more like 12 pins higher…tonight makes it 20 pins higher. This house re-oils before league play…the pattern is very heavy in the middle and dry outside and it seems about 1-2ft shorter than a THS. I missed right on a few shots by 3 boards and still struck or hit the headpin. And if I slightly pulled the shot…it held at the 11-17 board area. This league is going to be FUN! The other one will be more of a challenge.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Hey not bad. Quit sweating the wrist brace I know some seriously talented guys and gals who use them. I've considered trying one myself I have the opposite problem I tend to over cup my wrist If I ever find one I'm comfortable with I'd use it. Congrats on the sanctioned 600

Current arsenal

Nice bowling Aslan.

Page 65 of 226 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115165 ... LastLast