Page 31 of 226 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Aslan, With you being a speed dominant bowler, why do you ever get inside 9 or 10 at the arrows? Being that you are on the lower side of rev rate the angle from the outside is your greatest asset. On some of your videos i have seen some great looking shots when you get the ball out to 5-6 and hit that friction. I would always start way out playing like 8 to 5 or 7 to 4 meaning at the arrows to the break point. Just saying.

OMG, Mike White and I agree on something! Take your four ball roller (like the one I have), and get one of those single ball bags with the velcro to attach it in front of the handle on the four ball roller, and add a plastic spare ball! Watch your average go up 10 to 20 pins in a heartbeat.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    If I leave my hand behind the ball, it rolls end over end over the thumb/finger holes. I just haven't been able to master that inside to outside release. I can "sort of" do it when I throw a back-up ball.
    Why not just try the simple beginners 45 degree release, it's one of the first releases you learn and it will give you a good basic roll on the ball, with some hook.

Just hold the ball with a firm straight wrist,

and hold the hand at a 45 degree angle

and hold this position through the swing and stroke it down the lane.

The will give you around 45° of rotation. With only a little tilt to start, but once you have it down you can start adding some later if needed.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-08-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 204

Friday League Night (substitute): low-medium oil synthetics

517 Series: 183-169-165
    Game 1 was clean except for a 2-5-7 split in the 9th. Game 2 was even a little better, but I got a 4-7-10 in the 4th and chopped a 1-3-6 in the 7th. Game 3 was also pretty good but I "barely" missed a single 7-pin in the 3rd, got a 6-7-10 in the 7th and a 2-4-10 in the 10th.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.24 pins
    Strikes: 30% (2 doubles and 6 singles)
    Spares: 72% picked up

Single Pin spares: 83% (5/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x).
    Only left a 5-pin, a couple 7-pins, and a few 10-pins.

Multiple Pin spares: 68% (11/16)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 3-6 and 6-10 split (2x each).

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Average over 3 games: 172.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 175.00.

So there it is….a better night than last night. I made some changes to my targeting system and switched balls on the outside line after last night's debacle. Also, we had the pair closest to the door which are usually a "tad" drier. We took 3 of 4 points, but I can't take credit for that since I decreased their handicap and only bowled just shy of my league average. But since I averaged about 25 pins per game higher than last night I'll take it.

Due to my rev limitations and the apparent "slick-ness" of the lanes as of late…I made some targeting adjustments. Like last night, the outside line seemed to be working best in practice. But, since I just recently changed my targeting system…I kinda made a mistake when it came time to start bowling and used the right ball…but played the wrong line. I used the more aggressively drilled Encounter and played the middle line instead of the outside line.

So instead of laying down on 11 and aiming up 10…I was laying down and targeting straight up 12. That explains why my struggles seemed to be more related to going through the head than the usual "missing right". I was using the ball that would be my MOST aggressive ball for the middle line…but playing the line I would use for the less aggressive Encounter. It's too bad…because I think had I played the right line, I'd have scored much better. The more aggressive Encounter up 2nd arrow was very effective in practice.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    Aslan, With you being a speed dominant bowler, why do you ever get inside 9 or 10 at the arrows?
    I'm no longer "speed dominant". I changed my approach after working with Rob. My speed is now about 6-7mph slower and my loft is 1-6ft lesser and much closer to the lane surface (projection more than loft).

I agree, that my most successful line seems to be a solid cover stock ball up the 8-6 boards. But there's some concern that that shot is hitting weak because the ball is already "rolled out" by the time it hits the pocket. And because the lanes have become heavier in oil volume lately, anything outside the 8-board seems to be a death sentence. So more recently I've been laying it down around 11-12 and letting it go across 10 at the arrows and a little outside as it finds the break point…then it comes back into the pocket a little more flush.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    OMG, Mike White and I agree on something! Take your four ball roller (like the one I have), and get one of those single ball bags with the velcro to attach it in front of the handle on the four ball roller, and add a plastic spare ball! Watch your average go up 10 to 20 pins in a heartbeat.
    Thats called a "Joey" and I have one already. It holds my Slingshot. The 4-ball roller holds both Encounters, the Frantic, and the Rhythm.

I KNEW I was going to regret not just biting the bullet and getting a 6-ball roller!! Note to everyone looking for bags…just get the 6-ball roller…whatever size you get less than that you'll just wish you had bought larger.

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Why not just try the simple beginners 45 degree release, it's one of the first releases you learn and it will give you a good basic roll on the ball, with some hook.

Just hold the ball with a firm straight wrist,

and hold the hand at a 45 degree angle
    and hold this position through the swing and stroke it down the lane.

The will give you around 45° of rotation. With only a little tilt to start, but once you have it down you can start adding some later if needed.
    I think thats sort of what I do now. I start out about 45 degrees and as I release…it becomes more of suitcase release with a follow-through up the side.

I think what Mike is talking about is…due to "trying" to add revs…I got into a bad habit of coming over-the-top of the ball. I've fixed that as of late. I also got to work a lithe with Barry Asher at a clinic recently and he had me focusing on keeping my elbow in and having a "quiet shoulder"…which kind of forces you to stay behind the ball.

I tried FTLOB's suggestion of practicing with a 7-9lb plastic house ball…thumbless…in an attempt to stay under the ball. But it hurt my wrist to cup it that way and release like that.

I'm sure in Vegas, Rob will help me with the release. He wanted me to work on my approach, speed, loft, timing, and rolling the ball first. I think those things are better now so we might get to release during lesson 2.

Just to let you know, i didn't mean anything bad saying your were speed dominant. Some people are and some people are rev dominant. Obviously a consistency between the 2 is what you are looking for.

Sunday Sport League: PBA Wolf Pattern

603 Series: 127-163-162-151
    Game 1 I was constantly missing right. Same thing in Game 2 except I actually had a few strikes. More of the same in Game 3 except after the first few frames I managed to finish clean. Game 4 was more of the same except I only managed 1 strike, a lot of spares.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 7.95 pins
    Strikes: 20% (1 double and 7 singles)
    Spares: 52% picked up

Single Pin spares: 87% (7/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: n/a (I left each pin once except below).
    Never left a single 1-pin nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 42% (11/26)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 1-2 (4x).

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 4 games: 150.75.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 153.75.

Well, 3 weeks on the PBA Wolf pattern and I've shot a very consistent 591, 601, and 603 (4 game series)…averaging a 150.

The pros, power players, crankers, and rev dominant folks don't like the Wolf because the pattern isn't very long and they have trouble staying right of the headpin. I have the opposite problem in that while it is a short pattern, it has significant volume of oil channel to channel. So my ball can't start making it's turn into the pocket until it gets to the end of that oil…and thats not enough time, even with this short of a pattern.

But, this morning wasn't "all" bad. I won my first bracket!! Despite not bowling "great", it was enough to get me $25 in a bracket. Next week is Beijing Pattern which I think plays similar to the Wolf…but hopefully with a little more help earlier on the outside.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Tuesday Practice: low oil synthetics

515 Series: 173-170-172
    Pretty much played the more aggressive Encounter up the outside line (T9). Spotty spare shooting in Game 1; but I managed to strike. Better in Game 2; but I left a couple splits. Then Game 3 was back to my "old ways" of leaving a washout, missing a single-pin spare, and only 2 strikes...but a LOT of spares.

477 Series: 161-159-157
    Game 4 was back to some spotty spare shooting; but more strikes. Then Game 5 was 8 frames of spares, a 6-7-10 split in the 5th, and a missed single 10-pin in the 7th. A perfect example of my current scoring dilemma...a nearly clean game...8/10 frames where I picked up the spares...but I had to work THAT hard for < 160. In game 6, more of the same except I struck once and left an additional open as I chopped the 4-7 in the 9th.

493 Series: 169-176-148
    In game 7 I managed to get some strikes; but also left a couple splits. Same thing in Game 8. And then spare shooting sort of fell apart in Game 9.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.42 pins
    Strikes: 30% (2 turkeys, 4 doubles and 15 singles)
    Spares: 57% picked up

Single Pin spares: 65% (13/20)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (4x).
    Never left a single 1-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 54% (24/44)
    Most common multi-pin spare leave: 4-7 (9x).

Splits: 9% (1/11)

Average over 9 games: 165.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 172.44.

Stats very similar to last Wednesday's practice. Identical strike rate, nearly identical first ball average. Single pin spare shooting dropped a bit, which is troubling since I'm really focused on keeping that closer to 80% from here on out. But much of that was actually left side pins which I normally am nearly automatic at. I left the 7-pin and 4-pin 3x each and was 1/3 with each of them...which is odd. I think it is the change to the more aggressive Encounter which isn't making the predicted movement on the backend when I have to throw it through the heart of the oil pattern from further right. Something I may need to adjust for...or stop hooking my strike ball into left side leaves and start using the spare ball OR further develop a "back-up ball" shot.

Really anxious to find a "break-through" to get me back into the 170s average...and get me to start throwing 190s-200s games more consistently. 5-6 weeks left in league play and our team is 1 point back of the leader. I got sweeps in late September in Laughlin. And I got the Iceman VS. Aslan Las Vegas challenge. I need that "ah-ha" moment to happen sooner rather than later!

Wednesday Practice: medium-low oil synthetics

495 Series: 125-201-169
    Game 1 spare shooting was abysmal...but the leaves weren't very friendly. I mean, 2 washouts, a sleeper, and 2 splits...finally left a single pin in the 10th which I picked up. Other than a 1-2-7-8-10 washout in the 2nd frame, Game 2 was clean. A lot of spares..but some strikes to help things out. Game 3 was very similar except I left a 4-7-9 in the 7th and 2-7-8 in the 9th.

519 Series: 158-205-156
    Game 4 I was actually clean if you take out the 1 washout and FOUR splits! I mean, I have I standards for where I want my spare shooting to be...but converting 4 splits and a washout is a rather tall order. Game 5 I missed a single 7-pin in the 1st frame but was clean the rest of the way....including converting a baby split in the 8th and a 4-9 to close out the 10th. Game 6 was sort of an experiment; trying to keep my hand more under/behind the ball. It started out okay, but was just too eratic.

520 Series: 134-217-169
    Game 7 I was continuing to try and improve my release, but it was getting worse rather than better. Just couldn't seem to strike and the inaccuracy made the spare game non-existent. Finally I scrapped the whole idea after 9 frames. Game 8 I managed to put together a 4-bagger and was clean except for a missed single 4-pin in the 9th. Game 9 I was getting tired (8 games is about my limit) and in Game 9 I only struck once...but was generally clean except for a missed single 7-pin in the 4th and I left a 7-10 split in the 10th.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.68 pins
    Strikes: 33% (1 4-bagger, 1 turkey, 5 doubles and 16 singles)
    Spares: 54% picked up

Single Pin spares: 82% (23/28)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 3-pin (6x).
    Never left a single 1-pin nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 33% (12/36)
    Most common multi-pin spare leave: 4-7 (9x).

Splits: 16% (2/12)

Average over 9 games: 170.44.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 176.44.

Was almost perfect on single-pin spares. And it's mainly the left side guys like the 4-pin and 7-pin that are giving me trouble lately. My left side system is based solely on lateral movement from my strike line. And that seemed to work well throwing the solid coverstock Rhythm. But I think with the Encounters...the more aggresssive core and less aggressive coverstock is being more affected by the midlane oil...causing the ball to either delay too long before hooking or it's hitting the dry and making too aggressive a move into the gutter. I may have to start using my spare ball for leaves on all sides. Something I may try tommorrow during league play and see how it goes.

I was able to "sort of" get my hand more under/behind the ball by focusing on snapping my wrist as soon as the thumb comes out. The "up"side of this was more power and carry...even if it wasn't a good pocket hit. The "down"side was inaccuracy. With that emphasis on "flipping" my hand once the thumb came out...I had trouble hitting my mark AND I would sometimes come over the top of the ball. And "adding hand" is counter to what Rob was trying to get me to work on...so I went back to the basics in Games 8 and 9 and really tried to slow things down even more. It led to late timing...but almost an "intentional late" timing. I didn't pull or push any shots...it was just much more controlled and focused and casual...and it allowed me to really make repeatable shots.

Hopefully the practice can carryover into some better scoring during league play.

Thursday League: medium oil synthetics

534 Series: 211-152-171
    Game 1 I actually felt like maybe things had FINALLY come together. My revised approach...focus on accuracy...slowing the feet down...it just felt like I finally "got it". After a washout in the 1st, I was clean the rest of the way; including a 4-bagger. Tied the guy on our team with a 209 average.

Game 2 I had some difficulties. Seemed like the ball wanted to start moving left. Was still pretty much clean except for 3 splits and a 3-6-9-10 that I couldn't convert. But, I was doing "okay"; just needed to get a "little" more angle and project the ball a bit more...keep from getting impossible splits.

Game 3 was actually the disappointment of the evening. Everything was going quite well, but I missed a single 7-pin in the 5th and a single 9-pin in the 7th and finished with a 4-9 split in the 10th. Splits I can't help...and I made the right adjustments to get rid of them. But single-pin spare misses are unacceptable.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.81 pins
    Strikes: 40% (1 4-bagger, 1 double, 7 singles)
    Spares: 55% picked up

Single Pin spares: 75% (6/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 6-pin and 10-pin (2x each).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 4-pin, nor 5-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 40% (4/10)

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Average over 3 games: 178.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 185.33.

The only stat that was really improved was the strike rate. But it just goes to show you how much easier, more fun, and higher scoring bowling can be if you can throw 4 strikes a game versus 1-2 strikes per game. Met my goal of 525+, but not one clean game is disappointing.

I used the aggressively drilled/surfaced Encounter up the outside line (10-board). I know most people wouldn't consider the 10-board (outside)...but I've moved my targets in from 7-9 to 9-10 for the outside shot and 10-11 to 11-13 for the middle shot since I've had some real trouble hitting light as of late. Playing my inside line at the 17-board (laying down about 18) also seemed "decent" in practice...but the outside line, on both lanes, was really the one that was working. The lesser drilled/surfaced Encounter up the middle was still not moving enough. Once I decided on the line, I employed the technique of throwing sequential shots just to the right of my line to give me a "cushion". Not sure if it worked...not sure if it didn't.

Still not sure if I'm gonna stick with using the Slingshot for left side leaves. I tried it this time and it's hard to say if it was preferable or not...because it was difficult to just switch to something like that overnight...I didn't really have my targeting set up. It was the first night I was more afraid of left side leaves than right side leaves. And it goes to show the "League of Extraordinary Plastic Spare Ballers"...it ISN'T that I don't use a plastic ball PER SE. The shots that missed...were essentially straight shots and I just didn't have a good shot that went straight.

It was a team victory...all 4 points! And with only 5 more weeks left in the season and us trailing the leaders by a point...we NEED to keep this momentum going. Next week we face a team of bowlers where 2 of them average <100 and 2 others average <120. BUT...they bring to the table 526 pins of handicap. Thats a helluva hole to dig out of!

Page 31 of 226 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast