Page 106 of 226 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 2256

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Polish it once on a spinner and clean it after each use, and the polish will last at least 30 games. As for the whole solid, pearl, hybrid nonsense, take a pearl and hit it hard (on a spinner) with 500 abralon, and take a solid with a similar core at 2000 and add polish, and I'll bet you that the solid with the polish gets further down the lane. The material might account for 25% of the cover reaction, but the surface accounts for the other 75%!
    I'm gonna try it.

Not the polished solid versus sanded pearl experiment. That sounds interesting, but non-productive. Whats the point of making my solid behave like a pearl and my pearl behave like a solid? I mean, okay...if I only have 1-2 balls I guess I'm stuck doing a lot of surface manipulation if I'm playing in multiple houses...but with a 190 average...my tournament play is on hold for 1-3 years while I recover to normalcy.

But I will hit the Le. Revolver with a 2000 abralon pad by hand and have the D. Encounter polished per your and Amyers' recommendations. Worth a try.

The problem with surface is like you've said about OOB. Sure, you can try to re-create any surface...but how long will it last? You can't re-surface between games. So you polish up a Mastermind and after 1-4 frames realize it's going longer than you want...I guess you gotta start altering your speed/release/approach because you're stuck with it. At least for that series.

And I agree that surface trumps cover. And cover trumps RG. I was just saying that I'd rather have more than one ball to go to than try to figure out the best surface for 1-2 balls before throwing the first shot of the series and then being stuck with it. Kinda like, you can alter your speed, your release, your loft, or your line. Most people have 1-3 they prefer FAR more than messing with the other 1-3.

Me, I'd rather move laterally than switch balls...especially if it makes me use one ball on one lane and another ball on the other lane.
    BUT...only until I'm about 20-21 with my left toe. Once I get further inside....where I'm not comfortable....my next choice is a ball change.
    IF I CAN'T change balls because I'm at the top or bottom of my progression...then it's like a presidential race....choosing the best of a few bad options.
    I'd PROBABLY go speed next...but I'd be worried about my timing.
    I MIGHT try a change in release (axis tilt)...but that's a pooshoot.
    And I USUALLY stay away from altering my loft because it's just too easy to get back into old, bad habits if I start throwing like I'm playing horseshoes.

But that's not any more or less correct than anyone else's list of preferences. It's all about how big of a skill set you have and how big a comfort zone that allows you. The pros can play gutter to gutter with any ball...especially on a THS. Most can bowl with the wrong hand and beat most amateurs on a THS. And that's reason #1116 why I am not a pro. My range is 6-12 boards. Outside of 6...it's gonna be a night with 1-3 gutters. Inside of 12....the scores are gonna be lower.

And the sad thing is, I've been bowling for 27 months and my comfort zone is 6 boards...yet the vast majority of league bowlers I see have been bowling 27 years and their range is about 3 boards...9-11.
    Last edited by Aslan; 12-03-2015 at 06:52 PM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 176; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I'm gonna try it.

Not the polished solid versus sanded pearl experiment. That sounds interesting, but non-productive. Whats the point of making my solid behave like a pearl and my pearl behave like a solid? I mean, okay...if I only have 1-2 balls I guess I'm stuck doing a lot of surface manipulation if I'm playing in multiple houses...but with a 190 average...my tournament play is on hold for 1-3 years while I recover to normalcy.

But I will hit the Le. Revolver with a 2000 abralon pad by hand and have the D. Encounter polished per your and Amyers' recommendations. Worth a try.

The problem with surface is like you've said about OOB. Sure, you can try to re-create any surface...but how long will it last? You can't re-surface between games. So you polish up a Mastermind and after 1-4 frames realize it's going longer than you want...I guess you gotta start altering your speed/release/approach because you're stuck with it. At least for that series.

And I agree that surface trumps cover. And cover trumps RG. I was just saying that I'd rather have more than one ball to go to than try to figure out the best surface for 1-2 balls before throwing the first shot of the series and then being stuck with it. Kinda like, you can alter your speed, your release, your loft, or your line. Most people have 1-3 they prefer FAR more than messing with the other 1-3.

Me, I'd rather move laterally than switch balls...especially if it makes me use one ball on one lane and another ball on the other lane.
    BUT...only until I'm about 20-21 with my left toe. Once I get further inside....where I'm not comfortable....my next choice is a ball change.
    IF I CAN'T change balls because I'm at the top or bottom of my progression...then it's like a presidential race....choosing the best of a few bad options.
    I'd PROBABLY go speed next...but I'd be worried about my timing.
    I MIGHT try a change in release (axis tilt)...but that's a pooshoot.
    And I USUALLY stay away from altering my loft because it's just too easy to get back into old, bad habits if I start throwing like I'm playing horseshoes.

But that's not any more or less correct than anyone else's list of preferences. It's all about how big of a skill set you have and how big a comfort zone that allows you. The pros can play gutter to gutter with any ball...especially on a THS. Most can bowl with the wrong hand and beat most amateurs on a THS. And that's reason #1116 why I am not a pro. My range is 6-12 boards. Outside of 6...it's gonna be a night with 1-3 gutters. Inside of 12....the scores are gonna be lower.

And the sad thing is, I've been bowling for 27 months and my comfort zone is 6 boards...yet the vast majority of league bowlers I see have been bowling 27 years and their range is about 3 boards...9-11.
    If I polish my Mastermind it doesn't take 3 or 4 frames to figure it's to long more like 1 to 2 balls at most. If it is odds are good I'm throwing it in the wrong spot on a THS pattern and that's why you carry multiple balls.

I've been back bowling for a little over 2 years and my areas is from 5-17 although it's rare I'm outside 10. I think more important is how much can you vary your breakpoint I can change from 5-14. It doesn't really matter where it starts its where it ends up.

If your at the end of your progression during league somethings wrong. Your playing the lanes in the wrong spot with a four ball Arsenal.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

My current theory is that as my release improves, it's going to be more and more common that I'm near the end of my progression on league night.

And realize this is just the current theory...
    ...but I think solids and sanded balls are a crutch for people that can't generate rpms and stay behind the ball. Throwing a solid allowed me to come more up the side of the ball or do a suitcase release...and most of the time on a THS the ball could find the pocket. Some nights, carry. Some nights not so much.

But it allowed me to play WHERE I wanted to play, HOW I wanted to play. Moving to the pearl side of the progression...I had to move inside...and I don't like the inside. I lose my miss room. I have to lower my speed. I have to improve my release. Most bowlers don't want that...that's too much work. It's easier to buy the newest, strongest ball and sand it down...and keep firing it up the 5-10 boards.

As my release improved...the light hits went from me "missing right" to me just not carrying. And that's more indicative of a bad ball/lane reaction...so as I ball down...suddenly I'm using the Jab on the same line I used to use the solids.

At my last lesson with Mr. Baker...he saw my progression and suggested I get some balls that are a bit weaker. WEAKER!!? But that makes sense. I'm not bowling on the PBA Shark pattern or USBC White pattern. I'm bowling on a THS. With a good release and timing...you shouldn't need a Guru or Mastermind or Hyper Cell to get to the pocket....and you're just as likely to lose energy before hitting the pocket with those balls up the outside.

And I'm not what I'd call a "Breakpoint bowler" at this point in time. I still subscribe to the concept that the closer the target, the easier it is to hit it. I can't get past that to the point where I'd suggest to someone that they aim for a target 40ft away. And that's one of my problems with being able to "read" a lot in practice. You say you can tell everything in two shots. That's one shot per lane. That assumes, I think, that you can execute a shot in an above average way...hitting your target both times...and off those two shots see what you need to see. Man, if I could execute like that and always hit my target...who knows...maybe I could try multiple lines and every ball in my arsenal in a 15-minute practice. But, like most bowlers...my first shot is usually a "getting used to throwing a ball"...then 3-5 shots where hopefully a few of them are good enough that I can make some kind of determination...and then maybe I get a shot to try a different line or another ball...maybe not...depends on how many of the 8-10 bowlers are practicing on the pair.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

What you will find as you continue to improve your release is not that you go through your balls faster (unless your being stubborn and trying to stay in the same spot) but that your game changes and you start to play more right to left instead of straight down the lane. You will also find a new use for those solid balls as you will need equipment the reads the oil in the correct spot on the lane once you start actually using the oil.

I wasn't referring to targeting the break point but you still have to pay attention to where the ball is when it starts to hook. Just because you it your target at the dots or the arrows do you really believe that the ball is in the exact same spot 43 ft. down the lane every time? it's not just about being accurate at the arrows or whatever you use you have to be accurate down the lane too. THS blends that out some so you don't have to be as accurate down lane as you do on a sport pattern but how often is it that you leave a weak 10 and think your lines burnt and in reality you missed down lane the ball went 3 boards farther right and that's what caused the problem.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    What you will find as you continue to improve your release is not that you go through your balls faster (unless your being stubborn and trying to stay in the same spot) but that your game changes and you start to play more right to left instead of straight down the lane. You will also find a new use for those solid balls as you will need equipment the reads the oil in the correct spot on the lane once you start actually using the oil.

I wasn't referring to targeting the break point but you still have to pay attention to where the ball is when it starts to hook. Just because you it your target at the dots or the arrows do you really believe that the ball is in the exact same spot 43 ft. down the lane every time? it's not just about being accurate at the arrows or whatever you use you have to be accurate down the lane too. THS blends that out some so you don't have to be as accurate down lane as you do on a sport pattern but how often is it that you leave a weak 10 and think your lines burnt and in reality you missed down lane the ball went 3 boards farther right and that's what caused the problem.
    As I talk with more of the 200 plus average bowlers I find that the majority of them are playing a line, as opposed to a spot. I bowled Friday and while I was hitting my spot and adjusting my feet, I was missing the pocket. One of the guys watching down lane noted that that where the ball finished skidding and started to roll differed considerable shot to shot even though I was hitting my mark. I discovered the problem in this case was a difference in follow through but the lesson I learned is that even if I am not targeting the break point I need to watch where the ball transitions to understand what is happening. I also believe that in my case learning to target the line instead of only a spot is the key to pushing my game to the next level

Monday League: long/wide THS, synthetics, plays like a longer sport (48-51ft) with some out of bounds at 1-4.

456 Series: 134-151-171

Lowest score since the end of April....well played.

Game 1 sucked hard. Game 2 sucked in a slightly more malleable way...like how hard a soft metal or maybe like a pine board would suck. And then Game 3 was more like an uneven haircut that you just decide to live with because you don't want to complain.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.40 pins
    Strikes: 26% (1 double and 6 singles)
    Spares: 50% picked up

Single Pin spares: 66% (6/9)
    Most common single-pin leave: 2-pin and 5-pin (2x each)
    Never left a single 3-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 38% (5/13)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 1-2-4 (2x).

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 152.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 162.00.

Wednesday I get to pretend I'm a good bowler. Mondays I get reminded that I'm not. Although it does sting more when I bowl average on Wednesday, then get a bowling lesson on Sunday from one of the most renowned coaches in the World, things seem to be going great...then Monday...is Monday.

Why? What ball? What line? What pattern? Execution? Timing? Bah Humbug. Iceman is right. There's those that got the gift and those that don't. Maybe if I accept that I might be able to bowl in a league where we just all drink and play cards and bowling is something we barely pay attention to where the highlight of the season is the one week I win 50/50. YAY!!!!!! (imagine a bunch of party and celebration emoticons...)

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    As I talk with more of the 200 plus average bowlers I find that the majority of them are playing a line, as opposed to a spot. I bowled Friday and while I was hitting my spot and adjusting my feet, I was missing the pocket. One of the guys watching down lane noted that that where the ball finished skidding and started to roll differed considerable shot to shot even though I was hitting my mark. I discovered the problem in this case was a difference in follow through but the lesson I learned is that even if I am not targeting the break point I need to watch where the ball transitions to understand what is happening. I also believe that in my case learning to target the line instead of only a spot is the key to pushing my game to the next level
    I'm 200+, and have, for the better part of the past 15 years (subtract the 6 I was out) played the break point. I've never used arrows in my life. I line myself up with dots, and my sole purpose after that is to hit that spot down the lane. That gets determined in practice, although the house I bowl at is pretty consistent. To me, it's been the most forgiving shot I've ever used. You just need to be careful to stay ahead of transitions.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    I'm 200+, and have, for the better part of the past 15 years (subtract the 6 I was out) played the break point. I've never used arrows in my life. I line myself up with dots, and my sole purpose after that is to hit that spot down the lane. That gets determined in practice, although the house I bowl at is pretty consistent. To me, it's been the most forgiving shot I've ever used. You just need to be careful to stay ahead of transitions.
    Thanks for the input, I started another thread ( can't hijack a fellows bowling scores ! ) and am getting some very informative responses.

I used to aim at the arrows. Not anymore. I aim down lane mostly at break point.

And for spares I did the same. Used to aim at arrows but now just look at the pins.

Wednesday League: Easy THS, heavy oil volume in the middle, (38-42ft) length, very dry outside.

Warmed up a couple games before hand. First game I didn't keep track of the score but when I glanced up at the monitor I think it was in the 190s.

Practice Game #2: 242 Front seven and then 3 bad shots to end things. But it definitely boosted the confidence pre-league play.

626 Series: 202-235-189

Game 1 I balled down from the Lethal Revolver to the Dark Encounter...just thought the lanes were transitioning a bit too much in practice...and figured I'd rather make the move a little early than a little late. Should have balled down to the Asylum after a flush hits in the 7th and 8th frame left a 10-pin and 7-pin (respectively)...but lucked out in the 9th and struck Brooklyn...my only 'bad' strike of the night. Hate to switch balls in the 10th, but it was overdue.

Game 2 was decent through 7 frames; a couple bad shots. Then I left a single 10-pin in the 8th (and missed it, of course) on a flush hit so again I decided to ball down in the 10th to the Melee Jab and struck out.

Game 3 I stuck with the Melee Jab the entire game...but it's a tricky ball to figure out. Some shots were so perfect it was scary...other shots seemed decent but either over or under reacted. I ended up moving inside about 3 with my eyes and 4 with my feet...but it was just weird that I had to move like that on the right lane...but didn't make one lateral move on the left lane until mid-late 3rd game.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.11 pins
    Strikes: 57% (2 4-baggers, 1 turkey, 3 doubles, and 3 singles)
    Spares: 64% picked up

Single Pin spares: 66% (4/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x)
    Only left the following single pins: 3-pin, 7-pin, 9-pin, and 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 62% (5/8)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 3-6-10 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/1).

Average over 3 games: 208.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 216.33.

And the roller coaster continues. The team took 3 of 4 points but should have taken all 4 against a very weak team. Didn't make any money but got winnings from last weeks final poker hand and took 2nd place in one of my 3 brackets so what would have cost $50 (Wednesday League + drink + side pot + brackets + skins) only cost me $30 after tips. My 235 scratch wasn't enough to take side pot ...I think the guy that won it bowled a 249 scratch. Lots of above average bowlers in that league so side pots are difficult to win as is skins (being the only person to strike out in the 10th).

And hey, it took me 20 months to go from averaging 121 to rolling a 600 series...I've rolled 12 since in the last 8 months...so thats not terrible.

Might need to figure out why my last game score is so bad. Thats 3 straight weeks where the 3rd game was the weakest. It'd make sense if I had a small arsenal to work with and too much revs/not enough speed....and maybe thats it...maybe I tired from the warm-up and my speed dipped a bit. I didn't drink, so it can't be that. And I gotta figure out why spare shooting is so good during lessons and then more of a liability on league night. I can't expect to ever sniff 700 if I miss 2/3 of my 10-pnis.
    Last edited by Aslan; 12-10-2015 at 02:30 AM.

Page 106 of 226 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156206 ... LastLast