Page 55 of 226 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Lunchtime Practice: medium oil synthetics
    LaHabra 300 Bowl

539 Series: 170-202-167

Lunchtime practice session #3. I lucked out and the guy running the desk asked me if I wanted to have some practice/warm-up time before my games started. I was SHOCKED! I've bowled in 19 different centers all this area and some in Nevada...and not ONCE has a person asked if I wanted warm-up time before my games started. Not ONCE! Cudos to this establishment! That allowed me to at least get a general idea of what ball and line I wanted to play on the right lane before my games started. I still needed a few shots on the left lane to see if I wanted to go with the Rhythm or the Bullet Train...but it was nice to know my ball and line choice midway through game 1 rather than midway through game 2.

Game 1 I had 3 opens...an 8-10 split and two single 3-pins. NOT a usual pin I miss...I'm over 80% on that one...but...I did. Game 2 I only opened once when I barely missed converting a 3-10 baby split. Game 3...only two open frames...both splits...another 3-10 baby split in the 3rd and a 4-7-10 in the 9th.

PinPal Stats et al:
    First Ball Average: 8.73 pins
    Strikes: 39% (1 turkey, 1 double, and 8 singles)
    Spares: 68% picked up

Single Pin spares: 71% (5/7)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 3-pin, 6-pin, and 10-pin (2x each).
    Only other single-pin leave was a single 7-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 66% (13/32)
    Most common multi-pin spare leave: 3-10 split (2x).

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Pocket Percentage: 36%
    Pocket Carry: 108%
    Double Percentage: 23%

Average over 3 games: 179.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 187.67.

A MUCH better practice than yesterday that's for sure. It isn't at the 600+ level series that I'll probably need to win...but it was helpful to give me a little confidence boost and to help me figure out what I should probably do tomorrow and Sunday in the tournament.

One thing I've decided, as much as I stubbornly hate giving up on certain things...I have to go back to a 2-line system and abandon the "inside" line. I just don't have the rev rate to make the turn with this set of equipment. Sure, sometimes it works just perfectly and I cross "just" over the middle and into the pocket...but far too often it hits brooklyn or goes through the nose. As MWhite would say, "you gotta have some dry to get the ball to turn!" Throwing it up the 18-board...hoping it catches a little dry just in front of the pindeck is just too risky at this stage in my bowling development.

It also helped to de-oil the Rhythm. I de-oiled it before practice...and again after practice...and there was so much oil in that ball that both times some was dripping off of it.

I'm in 2 squads tomorrow and 2 squads on Sunday. I think on these lanes I'm capable of maybe rolling a low 580s series. Anything higher than that and I'm gonna have to catch some breaks. And I think I'll need to be at LEAST mid-590s to take 1st place. I might be able to win some $ in sidepots or even take some bracket money rolling in the 550-590 range...but in this tournament it's really all or nothing because 1st place goes to the state tournament (from each division) and 2nd place and lower go home.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by mc_runner View Post
    Good luck, let us know how it goes!
    OCUSBC BVL Tournament: medium oil synthetics

SQUAD 1
    447 Series: 198-117-132

Pretty epic fail after a decent start to Game 1. I was clean through 9 in Game 1 and then pulled my shot in the 10th and chopped the 1-3-6. And that led to just a complete collapse. I mean, it was just sad. The other players on the pair were actually feeling sorry for me. Game 3 was better, but my spare shooting was off.

SQUAD 2
    527 Series: 170-175-182

Better. I was struggling in practice so I completely changed my lines. My lines have been getting tighter and tighter to the point that I think I was pulling shots left trying to hit a target that was inside my body/swing plane. So, needless to say…I didn't get much practice shots in because I was messing with my paperwork trying to write down stuff.

Game 1 I opened twice to start but turned things around and was clean until the 9th when I missed a single 4-pin. Then I couldn't convert the 4-6 split in the 10th to finish with a very unexciting 170. Game 2 was better, but I chopped a 6-10 in the 4th and then couldn't convert the 1-5-7 in the 5th. But I was clean the rest of the way. Game 3 I was a missed single 2-pin in the 7th away from a clean game.

I was semi encouraged after Squad 1 because the highest series in my division was a 509. That definitely left the field wide open. In addition, they announced that the state tournament would be on March 21st…same weekend as my league sweeps in Vegas…which was kinda a bummer…but also took some pressure off because if I lost I go to Vegas…if I won I go to the state tournament.

I outperformed the one guy I knew for sure was in my division…but I have a feeling one of the other guys was in my division as well and he had a heck of a series; in the 640 range.

PinPal (and other) Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.11 pins
    Strikes: 30% (1 turkey, 4 doubles, 8 singles)
    Spares: 53% picked up

Single Pin spares: 67% (8/12)
    Most common single pin leaves: 6-pin and 10-pin (3x each).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 5-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 48% (15/31)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-3-4-5-7-8 (3x)

Splits: 40% (2/5)

Pocket Percentage: 33%
    Pocket Carry: 90%
    Double Percentage: 26%

Average over 6 games: 162.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 168.67.

In the first Squad, I was missing right…leaving washouts…especially when I switched from the Rhythm to the Encounter. So, I sanded the heck out of the Encounter to try and get it back into the pocket better. But then…they didn't re-oil the lanes between Squads so that ball became less useable…especially on the right lane that seemed to hook much more than the left.

As for technique…I was really trying to relax in Squad 2…just let the ball do the work….try not to muscle the swing at all…but stay focused.

I'll be back again tomorrow…but I think I'll need a near career high series at this point IF the guy I think was in my division, that rolled a 642-647, was in fact in my division. Broke even in brackets though. Got in 2 the first squad and 3 the 2nd squad…spent $25…won $25. Actually I guess I lost $5 since I tipped them $5. Oh well.
    Last edited by Aslan; 01-25-2015 at 02:12 AM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

OCUSBC BVL Tournament: medium oil synthetics

SQUAD 1
    460 Series: 138-146-176

Started Game 1 with a couple washouts, then pulled a couple shots, then 2 more washouts, a strike, 2 more washouts, a pulled shot, and a strike. I wasn't happy…but I thought I could turn things around in Games 2 and 3.

Game 2 I started out by missing 2 straight single 10-pins, then a few spares, then a missed single 2-pin in the 6th…finished okay but another disappointing score. I knew I couldn't pull anything off in the 3rd game…but I was still alive in a bracket and figured a good game might give me momentum for Squad 2.

Game 3 I started out clean through 5 before a 6-7 split. Then a 1-2-4-7 washout…then finished clean, but a disappointing 176.

SQUAD 2
    435 Series: 169-145-121

This is where things went really downhill. Other than a missed single 10-pin in the 3rd and single 7-pin in the 4th…I was clean through 9 and even picked up a 4-9 split. Then in the 10th; chopped the 4-7.

Thats when I got worried. I knew I needed to average about 190 each game to get first place. I was feeling good because I was really finding the pocket…about 70%..but knew I needed 200+ games the rest of the way and would need to strike eventually.

Game 2 I watched as my potential score slowly fell from the 260s to 220s to 190s. Started off with a 4-7-10 split…but was then clean for a few frames…then a missed single 3-pin, then a couple more clean frames…but NO strikes. Finally struck in the 9th but then a chopped 5-6-10 split in the 10th for a mere 145.

Game 3 I knew I'd need something like a 236 to keep my hopes alive…and the last game knocked me out of my last bracket…so I had the daughter go get my Grandpa's old, 14lb, urethane ball from my trunk…figured I'd just finish throwing that. Started with a 5-10 split…spare…then chopped a 6-10. I was out of 1st place after 5 frames but didn't switch to the urethane in the 6th because I had struck with the Rhythm in the 4th frame so I threw it in the 6th. But when I threw a - - in the 8th…I was done. I threw the urethane ball in the 9th and converted the 1-2-4 leave. Then left a pocket 10-pin in the 10th and missed it.

PinPal (and other) Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.16 pins
    Strikes: 17% (2 doubles, 7 singles)
    Spares: 55% picked up

Single Pin spares: 64% (14/22)
    Most common single pin leaves: 5-pin and 10-pin (5x each).
    Never left a single 1-pin nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 48% (14/29)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-4 (4x)

Splits: 33% (2/6)

Pocket Percentage: 35%
    Pocket Carry: 50%
    Double Percentage: 18%

Average over 6 games: 149.17.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 163.34.

What was truly disappointing is the leading scorer was only a 550 series after the first day. I rolled a 593 when I was in the Citrus Belt BVL…I knew I was capable of it. I don't know. I'm at the point now where this might be my last season of bowling. It's just not fun bowling like this. I've put as much time and $$$ into getting better as anyone…and I'm worse this year than last. And I'm tired of learning how to bowl properly and then watching bowlers with worst form in the world rolling 600 series.

I mean, I'll be back at it tomorrow…getting my Monday practice in (if the lanes aren't packed)…but at this point…I don't really want to bowl…I don't want to watch bowling or hear about bowling or read about bowling. Maybe I'll practice tomorrow…maybe not. I'll bowl Tuesday night…and that'll be the end of the marathon.

Monday Practice: low oil synthetics

Warm-Up Game: 199
    Clean except for a chopped 2-8 in the 5th frame. Not bad for a warm-up game.

562 Series: 146-202-214
    Game 1 was a letdown. Only threw 1 strike and spare shooting was off. Game 2 wasn't great, but a 5-bagger helped to keep the score high. Game 3 went better with only one open frame (missed single 4-pin) in the 4th. Switched to the Rhythm for the right lane midway through Game 3 and it was hitting pretty strong…even playing my most inside line…which I usually don't have much luck with. Too bad I couldn't shoot a 562 over the weekend…might have won my division.

583 Series: 174-193-216
    Game 4 I was a 7-10 split in the 2nd frame and a missed single 10-pin in the 10th away from a clean game. 4/5 shots on the right lane struck versus zero of the 5 shots on the left lane. Game 5 I opened in the first frame with a missed single 7-pin…but was clean the rest of the way. Game 6 was clean through 9 frames…but I missed a single 7-pin in the 10th.

Arguably Useful Statistics:
    First Ball Average: 9.01 pins
    Strikes: 43% (1 5-bagger, 1 4-bagger, 1 turkey, 4 doubles and 12 singles)
    Spares: 67% picked up

Single Pin spares: 70% (14/20)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 7-pin (6x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 65% (13/20)
    Most common multi-pin spare leaves: 1-2-4 and 1-2 (3x each).

Splits: 25% (1/4)

Pocket Percentage: 62%
    Pocket Carry: 70%
    Double Percentage: 31%

Average over 7 games: 192.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 201.57.

Well, it was a good enough practice to snap me out of my depression and back into my hopeful, bowling self.

The main things I was working on was my balance arm and less muscling of the swing. It seems that if I remember to use my balance arm…it pushed my head over the ball and keeps me from pulling or pushing shots…and that helps me stay consistent and find that pocket.

Since I was finding the pocket okay…I played a game of low-ball and scored a 63. Only hit the gutter once and only missed what would have been a corner pin spare one other time.

Finished off by just messing around a couple games throwing a 10lb house ball thumbless. I think I scored a 118 and 136.

Downsides? Well, I have a feeling the lanes had a lot of action during the day…that may have soaked up some of the oil and given me more ideal conditions for my game. And none of this matters if I can't duplicate it when it counts. We'll see tomorrow.

Nice shooting Aslan. Glad to see you "like" bowling again.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Chats: 32

Looks like some good scores and actually finding the pocket some Nice!!!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Tuesday League Night: medium oil synthetics

534 Series: 149-224-161

Game 1 was clean though 6...then a 1-2-7 washout, a 4-6-7 split, a missed single 2-pin, and a 7-10 split in the 10th. So, obviously a huge disappointment after a decent start...but really it was only the single 2-pin that really stung.

Game 2 was clean through 7 including converting the 3-10 baby split in the 7th. Then I whiffed on converting the 6-10 in the 8th...my only open frame...but that was all it took to kill any chance at beating my season high 233.

Game 3 was 9 /, 9 /, 9 /, 9 / then a strike...so I was clean through 5. Then back-to-back 1-2-4-10 washouts...a spare, a strike, then I missed a single 5-pin in the 10th to add further insult to injury.

Arguably significant/insignificant Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.77 pins
    Strikes: 35% (1 5-bagger and 6 singles)
    Spares: 60% picked up

Single Pin spares: 80% (8/10)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 6-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 40% (4/10)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-4-10 (2x)

Splits: 33% (1/3)

Average over 3 games: 178.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 185.00.

I didn't keep track of pocket hits...I forgot until Game 2 and just said, "screw it"...but it was better than the recent league nights.

Positives:
    - I went 5 for 5 on single-pin corner spares.
    - My average was up.
    - 2nd highest series this season.
    - Met my 2nd (of 2) goal of a 525+ series.
    - Was hitting the pocket more.

Negatives:
    - Not ONE clean game.
    - Team (currently #4 and 1 point out of a 3-way tie for 1st) only managed 1 point against the 1st place team.
    - Outside of Game 2, strike rate was rather low (2x per game). Seems like I had trouble striking on the fresh oil...then got in my grrove as the lanes broke down...but then struggled to make necessary moves later as the lanes broke down even more.
    - This SHOULD have been a 596-598 series had I picked up a few easy spares (2-pin, 5-pin, 6-10) and not left washouts (1-2-4-7 and 1-2-4-10 (2x)).
    - Really struggled when I balled down to the Encounters...my release is still a bit too erratic for the assymetric cores...I threw the less aggressive Encounter 3 times...hitting my mark all three times...and the ball went left of the headpin twice and right of the headpin once.

Overall it was a decent night. I seemed to have fixed a lot of the issues I was having most of January. It was a bummer to have our team bowl as well as we did...yet still lose 3 of 4 points to the 1st place team. But their lead-off guy only opened twice the whole night and their anchor was in the running for a 300-game in the 5th frame of every game...in the last game he made it to the 10th before opening. Thought it might be the first 300-game of the league/season...but he over-powered it and left the 3-6.
    Last edited by Aslan; 01-28-2015 at 04:13 PM.

Monday Practice: heavy oil synthetics

464 Series: 167-174-123
    Game 1 I started off okay; only a few opens...but the lanes were slick/heavy/long (whatever you wanna call it) and it was clear it was going to be a long evening of practice. Game 2 was more of the same...lots of 1-2s, 1-2-8s, 1-2-10s, 2-4-5s, etc.. Game 3 I was all over the map. I tried to combat the weak reaction...but would pull the shot and miss left...then I'd fix that...weak reaction...miss right. And mentally, it killed me.

378 Series: 99-166-113
    Game 4 I struck once and spared once...continuation of Game 3. Game 5 I had more of the same...but managed to pick up some spares. I think I only hit the pocket once. Game 6 was more of the same.

553 Series: 199-176-178
    Game 7 I was still struggling, but I calmed down, my release improved, and I started to see some ball reaction down lane. Clean until a 5-10 in the 10th...even picked up a 1-2-10 en route. Game 8 was a 6-7 split in the 2nd (which I almost picked up) and a missed single 4-pin in the 6th away from being clean...but not much striking. Game 9 was much of the same...a chopped 2-5 in the 2nd and a missed single 10-pin in the 7th away from clean...but not a lot of striking.

Arguably Useful Statistics:
    First Ball Average: 7.95 pins
    Strikes: 25% (7 doubles and 11 singles)
    Spares: 51% picked up

Single Pin spares: 68% (11/16)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (6x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 3-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 46% (24/52)
    Most common multi-pin spare leaves: 1-2-8 (7x).

Splits: 0% (0/6)

Pocket Percentage: 36%
    Pocket Carry: 71%
    Double Percentage: 20%

Average over 9 games: 155.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 159.67.

Haven't had a practice this frustrating in a long, long time. Obviously, one of my longer term goals is trying to figure out how to play heavier volumes of oil or longer patterns of oil and still find some success. Last week I averaged nearly 200 on lanes that had been bowled on and broken in...then I go in for practice last night and there's no movement at all. At one point I was standing with my left foot on the 8-board trying to throw it straight at the pocket. I tried to bring my speed down to compensate...but then you run into timing issues and suddenly I'm yanking the ball and pulling shots and then the next shot I don't get turned and throw it in the gutter.

And I have to work on my relaxation and my mental game. Once I threw the 123 game (#3)...I was so frustrated and just upset...that I punched the couch...and I NEVER take out my frustration on equipment...as a rule...but I was on the verge of just throwing the ball 25mph or going out and getting the urethane ball out of the trunk and doing some 15ft lofts. But...once I calmed down...once I got my concentration back...suddenly the game became better, my release got better, my targeting got better, and I started hitting the pocket 62.5%.

So...who knows what the conditions will be tonight for league play. But we have the most crucial game of the season...probably will determine our fate...so hopefully I got at least something in the tank.

Tuesday League Night: medium-heavy oil synthetics

510 Series: 172-167-171

Trivia. Whats the lowest you can score in a game with only 1 open frame? 90. But if I had to guess the average score…I'd say it's 181 on the low end to probably 226 on the high end. I got a 172. Two frames away from an all-spare game. I struck in the 5th and opened with a 3-7-10 split in the 6th.

Game 2 was similar to Game 1; lots of spares and few strikes…but it was slightly different in that I struck twice and opened twice…including a 4-6 split in the 10th.

Game 3 the lanes finally started breaking down enough where my shot carried. I struck more often but early on had some issues with splits…a 2-9 in the 1st and a 3-10 in the 4th….and missed my second make-able spare of the series, a 6-10 in the 2nd.

Arguably significant/insignificant Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.62 pins
    Strikes: 25% (1 double and 6 singles)
    Spares: 73% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (10/10)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 4-pin and 7-pin (3x each).

Multiple Pin spares: 53% (7/13)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Pocket Percentage: 50%
    Pocket Carry: 50%
    Double Percentage: 0%

Average over 3 games: 170.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 170.00.

Played one of the other top teams/contenders so it was a big game. The competition wasn't unbeatable and both teams struggled with the oil volume/length. I was able to survive with solid spare shooting, but it wasn't until about the 5th frame of Game 3 that my ball showed any noticeable down lane movement.

We lost all 4 points…the last two games they beat us by 2 pins then again by 2 pins. Another consistent night…but not that memorable. I was happy with the spare shooting; especially the singe-pins.

Page 55 of 226 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast