Page 180 of 225 FirstFirst ... 80130170176177178179180181182183184190 ... LastLast
Results 1,791 to 1,800 of 2246

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Pre-League Practice: low-oil synthetics

115-146

Just horrible...but I need as much practice as I can get at this point.

Thursday Men's League: low-oil synthetics

480 Series: 134-172-174

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.69 pins
    Strikes: 37%
    Spares: 31% picked up

Single Pin spares: 57% (4/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x)
    Also left single 3-pin, 4-pin (2x), and 7-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 16% (2/12)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 4-9 and 4-6-7 splits (2x each)

Splits: 0% (0/5)

Average over 3 games: 160.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 169.33.

Odd that the first ball average was actually slightly up from last week while most stats were in the toilet. A rare sub-500 series. The first game I was just very out of sync. Game 2 wasn't much better...but I strung a 4-bagger together near the end of the game. Game 3 I did much better; I just had a really bad 9th and 10th frame that kinda lowered the score.

Oddly, switching to the Warning Sign is when things really started to improve. The Warning Sign just seemed to fit the lanes better. I moved 3:2 right and was throwing it up and in...right up the 10-board. Misses right still usually carried...but misses left were punishing.

I'd like to think the timing is back in sync....but obviously it wasn't the case after last week, so I doubt it will be a flip of the switch this time. I'd like to get back to at least a respectable level soon. This is kinda embarrassing and this league has some really good players including a couple pros. I saw Tom Hess bowling a couple lanes over.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

I gotta ge there early if I wanna practice from now on...the other side of the house has another league coming in from here on out.

135-183

Just lucky the second game was better...because I was really getting discouraged after the first practice game.

590 Series: 159-231-200

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.70 pins
    Strikes: 45%
    Spares: 62% picked up

Single Pin spares: 33% (1/3)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (2x)
    Also left a single 5-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 69% (9/13)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 2-4-5 (3x)

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 196.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 202.00.

First game sucked....but I managed to make spares...only 3 open frames; unfortunately one was in the 10th.

Game 2 I started off with a 4-bagger before running into some trouble. I moved inside because my line seemed to be transitioning...but then the Thug Life didn't want to come back and I left a 5-9 and a 2-4-5 then a 3-10 baby split. I made the move to the Warning Sign and ran another 4 strikes together before making a bad shot on my 3rd ball in the 10th.

Game 3 was probably my best game...only one open on a barely missed 10-pin in the 6th frame. I just lost my ability to strike midway through but wasn't sure if it was the ball or just some bad shots so I never made the move to the Scandal Pearl.

I went into the night knowing that the key was balance. When I was in balance and posting my shots...I did very well...9 or 10 pins every time. As the night went on, I realized a major part of the problem was not getting low enough. It's hard to stay balanced when you're upright...but when you're low enough, your/my body just tends to balance itself.

All the training from the past is starting to come back...get low gradually...sweep the back leg (don't kick it)...forward spine tilt...RELAX....let the ball do the work...watch the ball roll over your target...watch the ball go through the pins. All things that were getting to be second nature in 2017...now I gotta think about them

The arsenal is still a work in progress. I was hoping to get to the ball spinner this weekend. The Thug Life just isn't a great first ball out of the bag option...even having the surface dulled to a 4000 abralon finish and no buffing/polishing. I thought the Warning Sign would be the weak part of the new arsenal...but the Warning Sign has been crushing it from the track.
    Last edited by Aslan; 09-08-2018 at 08:22 PM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

516 Series: 153-192-171

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.25 pins
    Strikes: 31%
    Spares: 66% picked up

Single Pin spares: 87% (7/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x)
    Also left a single 2-pin, 4-pin, 6-pin, and 7-pin (2x).

Multiple Pin spares: 53% (7/13)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10, 1-2-4, and 1-2-4-7 (2x each)

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 172.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 174.33.

First game I just couldn't get the ball back to the pocket...way too many 2-pin combos. While I was struggling...Tom Hess was shooting a 300-game on the lanes next to me.

Game 2 was a 4-10 split in the 3rd frame away from a clean game...but was still struggling to get to the pocket and hitting light when I did.

Game 3 was more of the same. I was clean through 8...but then opened in the 9th and 10th to ruin my chance at a decent score.

I had some comp time I had to use up so I went to the lanes a little early. As usual, practice was just brutal and really discouraging.

470 Series: 150-155-165

Just really had trouble getting the ball back to the pocket. Just embarrassing. Plus, this humidity...I was about drenched.

567 Series: 151-224-192

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.85 pins
    Strikes: 44%
    Spares: 64% picked up

Single Pin spares: 85% (6/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 2-pin and 10-pin (2x each)
    Also left a single 6-pin, 7-pin, and 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (5/10)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Average over 3 games: 189.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 192.67.

Once AGAIN....first game I simply could NOT get the ball back to the pocket. I'm really starting to wonder if this isn't a ball issue. More on that below.

Second game I switched to the Warning Sign...a game earlier than usual. Managed a 5-bagger...although I think a couple were Brooklyn. Only open was a baby split in the 4th frame.

Third game I lost the pocket about 7th frame and just couldn't get it back. My spare shooting stayed solid though. Only open was a 6-7-10 split in the 2nd frame.

I'm beginning to think the timing it "okay"...but the arsenal is **** poor. I knew this arsenal was going to be a challenge...it's a piece mail arsenal to use up the last of my 16lb balls...but I expected way more from the Thug Life. I was actually really looking forward to throwing DV8...and thus far it has been horrid.

Over 5 games, I am averaging:

First Game (Thug Life): 148
    Second Game (Thug Life/Warning Sign): 201
    Third Game (Warning Sign): 184

The Thug Life is just not making it back to the pocket the way the Reax Pearl was able to two seasons ago. I tried putting a 4000 surface on the Thug Life...similar to the Reax Pearl...but it hasn't helped.

The Warning Sign (like the Innovate two seasons ago) was supposed to be the weak point of the arsenal...yet, it has been surprisingly good. I usually move 3-4 boards right with it...because it is a weaker ball per the specs...and it just plays nicely up and in. It just destroys the pins.

The Scandal Pearl was my best ball two seasons ago...but I've only used it one night thus far. The Warning Sign has been alot more versatile than the Innovate was...so by moving out right...I have plenty of room to move left over Games 2 and 3.

I figure I'll try to dull the surface down to 3000 on the Thug Life and maybe put a 3000 polished on the Warning Sign. Try to get the Thug Life to move sooner..and try to get the Warning Sign to play more like the Innovate used to so I don't need to make such a drastic adjustment right from the Thug Life. Only problem is my ball spinner blew the motor...so I need to go out to the garage one of these nights and try to take that thing apart and get a new motor.

If the Thug Life continues to be horrible...I may have to start with the Warning Sign and use the Thug Life as the ball down option.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I realy think you need to go into warm ups with more of an open mind. Even Norm Duke says that he lets the lane tell him how it should be played. This means he’s open not just to using different areas of the lane, but also seeing what ball is going to give him the best pin carry. I do admit that when I’m on familiar lanes with relatively fresh oil, I know which ball should work and won’t try anything else until that ball proves to be a bad choice. Just because I’m occasionally stupid and stubborn doesn’t mean you have to be too.
    John

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Just out of curiosity, in the 10-15 minutes of warm up, do you throw every ball or just the thug life? I would suggest throwing all 3 balls a few times if time allows and even on different parts of the lane. That way, you know which ones is working best and what part of the lane to play.

Has the Thug Life ball been effective for you in the past or has it been junk from day 1 ?

Perhaps if the ball has never performed well for you and continues to work poorly you should take it our of your rotation
    until a time when the conditions are more flavorful for that ball.
    Quite a few of the guys I bowl with throw 2 to 3 different strike balls IN PRACTICE and use the one that seems like it's working the best for that days lane condition.

All suggestions below...absolutely valid.

Normally;

1) I have quite a few more options for arsenal creation. Like I said, this was kinda just piecing this one together.

2) I'd have spent a LOT of time practicing with the arsenal and figuring out how they interact. Versus this time...where I essentially quit bowling for 9 months.

3) I had a coach that would essentially correct me if I put them in the wrong order or could recommend different options. Now I only have Mark Baker's DVD...which doesn't address arsenal/equipment at all.

4) I usually had balls from the last arsenal I could use if I needed to. This time...the Reax Pearl cracked in two places...and thats the one I need.

342 Series: 178-164

Experimented with a shortened approach. My speed seems to be WAY up...like 19.5-21mph at the pins. The shortened approach actually looked pretty good.

456 Series: 128-184-134

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.32 pins
    Strikes: 29%
    Spares: 47% picked up

Single Pin spares: 75% (6/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 4-pin and 6-pin (2x each)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 7-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 30% (4/13)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 148.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 155.33.

Worst series I've thrown since 8/9/2016. Absolutely embarrassing. I finally join a legitimate men's league and I bowl like someone that should be bowling in one of those leagues where ya get a strike for knocking over 9 pins. When I tried a sport league, I went in KNOWING it was just a learning experience...so it didn't matter if I stunk. Now I'm going in feeling like I should average 180-200 and I'm averaging 172.

Ughhh...

I tried the shortened approach...but it threw my timing off. I couldn't seem to get the ball back to the pocket without moving outside to the 5-6 boards. That meant playing my "B-Game" the entire night...which makes me pull too many shots...afraid that a miss right will put me in the gutter. And, when the ball does hit the pocket...it doesn't have a ton of energy given it spent so much time out in the dry. Ughhhh!!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    All suggestions below...absolutely valid.

Normally;

1) I have quite a few more options for arsenal creation. Like I said, this was kinda just piecing this one together.

2) I'd have spent a LOT of time practicing with the arsenal and figuring out how they interact. Versus this time...where I essentially quit bowling for 9 months.

3) I had a coach that would essentially correct me if I put them in the wrong order or could recommend different options. Now I only have Mark Baker's DVD...which doesn't address arsenal/equipment at all.

4) I usually had balls from the last arsenal I could use if I needed to. This time...the Reax Pearl cracked in two places...and thats the one I need.

342 Series: 178-164

Experimented with a shortened approach. My speed seems to be WAY up...like 19.5-21mph at the pins. The shortened approach actually looked pretty good.

456 Series: 128-184-134

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.32 pins
    Strikes: 29%
    Spares: 47% picked up

Single Pin spares: 75% (6/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 4-pin and 6-pin (2x each)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 7-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 30% (4/13)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 148.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 155.33.

Worst series I've thrown since 8/9/2016. Absolutely embarrassing. I finally join a legitimate men's league and I bowl like someone that should be bowling in one of those leagues where ya get a strike for knocking over 9 pins. When I tried a sport league, I went in KNOWING it was just a learning experience...so it didn't matter if I stunk. Now I'm going in feeling like I should average 180-200 and I'm averaging 172.

Ughhh...

I tried the shortened approach...but it threw my timing off. I couldn't seem to get the ball back to the pocket without moving outside to the 5-6 boards. That meant playing my "B-Game" the entire night...which makes me pull too many shots...afraid that a miss right will put me in the gutter. And, when the ball does hit the pocket...it doesn't have a ton of energy given it spent so much time out in the dry. Ughhhh!!
    While the old days of throwing the ball slow so it could hook are firmly over it takes a lot more hand than I've seen from you in the past to make that work at 20 m.p.h. would love to have that problem for a day though lol. You haven't had your normal practice and don't have a lot of coaching right now not sure but personally don't think this is the time I would be making major changes to my game that will effect something as basic as timing.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    While the old days of throwing the ball slow so it could hook are firmly over it takes a lot more hand than I've seen from you in the past to make that work at 20 m.p.h. would love to have that problem for a day though lol. You haven't had your normal practice and don't have a lot of coaching right now not sure but personally don't think this is the time I would be making major changes to my game that will effect something as basic as timing.

479 Series: 141-170-168

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.90 pins
    Strikes: 35%
    Spares: 40% picked up

Single Pin spares: 45% (5/11)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x)
    Also left a single 2-pin (2x), 4-pin (3x), 5-pin, and 7-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 33% (3/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 3-10 baby split

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 159.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 178.33.

This is really frustrating. These last two weeks I've been seriously thinking this may be the last season I bowl. I mean, I've probably spent $5,000 just on bowling lessons...and after a 9-month break...I can't barely average 170.

Game 1 I either struck or took down 9 pins in every frame except the 9th. BUT...two problems:
    1) You shouldn't be getting 9 on 6 first balls in a row. I mean, figure out the lanes for ****s sake!
    2) Ya can't rely on 9/ if ya miss 2/3s of your single-pins!

I was hitting the pocket...but there wasn't any carry. I kept moving further outside...trying to get some angle...but the more outside I moved, the less energy the ball had when it hit the pocket. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. If I stay around 9-11...I barely can get back to the pocket. If I move outside to 7...it hits dead.

Game 2 I struck twice as much as Game 1 (still not much) and picked up 2/3 of my single pins...but it was X, X, 8 1, X 9/, 8 1, 9 /, X. 8 1, X9-. Breaking up marks every third frame doesn't score well in bowling.

Game 3 started out the same: X, 8 1...but then I marked 6 frames in a row. Then, for some reason, I just threw two horrible shots in a row and opened in the 9th and the 10th (also not good for scoring in bowling).

I used the Thug Life the whole night...stayed out in the 7.5-9.5 area...played very "up and in"...my "B-Game". I think my next move is move up a step and slow my approach down. Amyers is correct...I don't have the hand for 19-21mph at the pins (assuming thats close to accurate). I've obviously re-developed a bad approach...too big of steps...running to the foul line...and last time that was a problem my coach had me move up in front of the dots..which automatically slows me down. The trick will be to stay in time with that adjustment.

If I keep having games like Game 1...where I'm hitting the pocket and getting a 9-count...and my shot feels good...then I gotta change my arsenal. Either start with the hybrid Warning Sign and ball down to the Thug Life...or start with the Warning Sign and ball down to the Scandal Pearl. It 'may' just be that the Thug Life isn't a good ball for me. Thats what happened with the Rotogrip Asylum...I seemed to be throwing it well...but it'd never work for me. I didn't think that'd be a problem with DV8 since I throw Brunswick so well...but maybe.

This is embarrassing though. Pretty soon our team will be going up against Tom Hess's team and I'm gonna look like a damn fool in front of him. Maybe that'll be the one of the two weeks I'm out of town and I'll luck out.

Page 180 of 225 FirstFirst ... 80130170176177178179180181182183184190 ... LastLast