Page 175 of 225 FirstFirst ... 75125165171172173174175176177178179185 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 2246

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Ha,,,,,ha,,,,,, LOL,,,,, I hope you have looked at the scores I have been rolling lately and posting pictures of as proof! Practice is for the needy, not a God! Give me the gift any-day-vs-practice!

I do, a lot of mental bowling in my minds eye! Some times I will roll 10 to 20 games at a time, using nothing but my mind! In reality that's where its all at anyway! Think about what it would be like to practice without your mind. Its all there Aslan! Instead of wasting money on a fatal attempt to Beat The Iceman, why not just do as I do along with all the other bowling gods! "Bowl in your Mind!"

I do look forward to the day we meet again, and This Retired broken Down, Old Iron worker shows you who The REAL Bowling God is!!! Maybe this winter on the sacred Wood 6 lanes of Plattsburg! Half way between your place and mine. The highest game I rolled then on league was a 279! There has NEVER been a sanctioned 300 in its long 50 year history! Maybe you could be the first Aslan?

You keep on practicing, and I will keep on working out at the gym and doing mental bowling, then lets see who's, who's, DADDY!! LOL......

Mark My words I will roll another 300 soon on the Gladstone lanes! ( the lanes where I rolled the (277, and then 276) last week.... Then Iceman will have 3 different houses where he conquered the lanes and rolled yet another 300.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    I do look forward to the day we meet again, and This Retired broken Down, Old Iron worker shows you who The REAL Bowling God is!!! Maybe this winter on the sacred Wood 6 lanes of Plattsburg! Half way between your place and mine. The highest game I rolled then on league was a 279! There has NEVER been a sanctioned 300 in its long 50 year history! Maybe you could be the first Aslan?
    Well, I gotta say...these Midwest lanes are certainly a breath of fresh air!! I'm starting to see that "God Status" in the Midwest seems to take less practice than "God Status" in California (see below)!

Summer Practice: low-oil synthetics

Warm-Up Game: 180
    Got there only an hour or so after the place opened...so I got lanes with a decent amount of oil on them. Actually had to move outside the track. A lot of 9 counts early on and single-pin spare shooting wasn't looking good early.

725 Series: 247 (clean)-200-278 (clean)

Switched to the Innovate in the last frame of warm-ups so I needed to make a few adjustments early. But, was able to put up a 6-bagger before missing right and leaving a 10-pin.

Kept playing 1st arrow...up and in...it was working well. By the middle of the game, I had to move between 1st and 2nd arrow. Couldn't keep things clean in Game 2 and thus missed out on my first ever clean series.

Game 3 I was playing around 7-8...which was a little more comfortable for me. Playing out in the 4-6 area makes me nervous and I end up pulling shots out of fear that a miss right puts me in the gutter. Made some good shots with decent and consistent speed...until a little bit too much of a miss right in the 10th.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.25 pins
    Strikes: 63% (1 9-bagger, 1 6-bagger, 1 4-bagger, 2 doubles, and 5 singles)
    Spares: 66% picked up

Single Pin spares: 71% (5/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (5x)
    Also left a single 4-pin and 7-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 62% (5/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a.

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 4 games: 226.25.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 232.00.

I was going to take a week off from bowling...maybe hit the golf ball a bit today given that wet weather is on the way...but I just needed to roll that rock!!

I'm used to bowling 2-3 times a week...maybe mixing in a tourney or a practice from time-to-time. This hiatus from league play is KILLING ASLAN (<---using Iceman 3rd person speak)!!

Today was another trip to the 2 South Des Moines centers. Couldn't practice at the 2nd center due to them doing some unscheduled cosmic bowling...which, given they were already on the verge of elimination from contention for my league business...means the list of potential league homes for Aslan's Greatness is now down to FIVE!!!

The center I DID get to bowl at...almost putting up ANOTHER 300...and getting my SECOND 700+ series in ONE WEEK (thank you Midwest!)...is STILL in the lead for my league business. I stopped by the desk to get some league info...looks like they have a couple good leagues that I can take part in. Still giving FOUR other centers a shot at 1 or both of my league business...but it looks like this center is gonna get at least 1 of my league nights. It kinda sucks because this center is the furthest away from me of the six...but I gotta reward centers for taking care of their lanes, taking care of their centers, and having a strong commitment to league play. Fortunately, the two centers currently tied for 2nd place on my list are both the closest centers to my residence...so maybe I end up having one league close and one league further away...we'll see.
    Last edited by Aslan; 06-27-2017 at 07:23 PM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Summer Practice: low-medium oil synthetics

Warm-Up Game: 160
    Was all over the place. Not sure why.

572 Series: 200-170-202

Had to move outside a bit more than I had planned. Was doing okay...but later in the game the shot really seemed to dry up so I switched to the Innovate.

The Innovate was just not matching up well. The line was very tight...and I just didn't have any miss room anywhere (left nor right).

Switched to the Scandal Pearl and tried to see if I could get a little more "umphh" on the backend...but it still wasn't there.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.77 pins
    Strikes: 38% (1 4-bagger, 3 doubles, and 4 singles)
    Spares: 60% picked up

Single Pin spares: 83% (10/12)
    Most common single-pin leave: 7-pin and 10-pin (3x each)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 5-pin, 6-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 38% (5/13)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-4 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Average over 4 games: 183.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 187.75.

I gave the #5 center another chance today...but nothing impressive...so I think it's almost eliminated from contention. I can't blame the lane conditions this time around...I just wasn't making good shots at ALL! Probably my worst bowling as far back as I can remember. I was amazed that I only missed 2 single-pins...they must have stood out in my mind because I somehow thought I missed like 7.

Gonna give the other two North Des Moines centers a try...maybe this weekend...maybe next week. Might have my league center candidates down to 4 sometime next week. Also looking to drill up the Thug Life and Ebonite Warning Sign next week...retire the Reax Pearl and Innovate. I probably got 204-240 games on the Reax Pearl and about 173-230 games on the Innovate. The Scandal Pearl I added to the arsenal later...only about 99-132 games on it so I'll keep it as the #3 ball in my progression. Not to mention, it's been my best ball...I've been striking at a 50% pace with the Scandal Pearl! I'll also keep the Track300A in the progression...I've barely even used that ball to date...maybe 10-20 games at most. This'll be the last of my 16lb equipment in the closet of destiny...might consider adding one more...maybe retire the Scandal Pearl and shuffle the arsenal a little...but at this point I'm fine with these options. After Fall/Winter league season, I'll probably make the move to my very anticipated 15lb arsenal featuring some much stronger equipment...maybe the combination of weight and ball strength will allow me to open up the lanes a little more.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Summer Practice: low- oil synthetics

Warm-Up Game: 172
    The lanes were decent. Just wasn't making decent shots early on.

630 Series: 180-224-226

Game 1 I had a couple bad frames where I left splits....otherwise the shots were solid.

Game 2 the shots were much better...had either a 9-count or 10-count on the first ball every frame. A missed 7-pin in the 5th frame away from a clean game.

Game 3 was just like Game 1...a couple bad shots resulting in opens...but I was able to run a string of strikes together to salvage a decent score.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.14 pins
    Strikes: 52% (1 6-bagger, 3 turkeys, 1 double, and 6 singles)
    Spares: 52% picked up

Single Pin spares: 66% (8/12)
    Most common single-pin leave: 2-pin (5x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 5-pin, 6-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 28% (2/7)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 20% (1/5)

Average over 4 games: 200.50.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 211.75.

This center came in as #4 on the list. It's a bigger, nicer center...but a bit far away and not in the greatest area. But, the lanes have been in good shape all 3 times I've visited...so thats a big positive...and currently I have it at #2 on my list. Next time I visit, I gotta try and get some info on their fall leagues. They have more leagues than any other center...but I don't know the details of the leagues other than when they start, whether they are sanctioned, and the men/women make-up.

I DID notice on the way out the door...that they have a summer color-pin program where a strike when there is a red pin as the head-pin...wins you a free game of bowling! I didn't even see that sign until today! I could have had like 18 free games by now! I guess I should read the fliers when I'm walking in and out of the center from now on.

Summer Practice: dry synthetics

Warm-Up Game: 144
    The lanes were really burnt. Looks like this center decided not to oil in the morning.

533 Series: 169-171-193

Games 1 and 2 I was just really struggling to find a good line to the pocket. Some of my shots were off...but some of the shots were decent and I just could NOT get right of the headpin.

I was mentally 'spent' by Game 3...but switched to the Track 300A just to see if a much weaker ball could give me a decent shot. It actually worked quite well...almost all 9-counts and 10-counts...unfortunately opened on a single 7-pin in the 10th frame.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.41 pins
    Strikes: 36% (2 turkeys, 3 doubles, and 4 singles)
    Spares: 51% picked up

Single Pin spares: 44% (4/9)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (5x)
    Also left a single 6-pin, 7-pin, and 4-pin (2x).

Multiple Pin spares: 55% (10/18)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-3-6 and 3-6 (2x each)

Average over 4 games: 169.25.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 181.25.

This center was tied for 2nd on my list coming in. The place is the closest serious center with synthetic lanes...it's a big center...decent website...decent facility...and a very friendly staff. The lady actually remembers my name and I only bowled there 3 times this month. After 3 visits, she's now asking me about joining a league there. The downside is the facility itself. I've had numerous problems with the pinsetters dropping pins and last time I had a ball return issue like 3-5 times over 4 games.

But, this is the first time I had issues with the lanes themselves...and thats a bigger deal. A center that doesn't oil it's lanes properly or frequently...is a sign of a center that really doesn't care. I think these folks that run this center are good people and really are trying hard to make this center a success. They might even be willing to bring the oil machine out for me to practice if I asked and they weren't busy. I just worry that the combination of the lane issues today and the persistent equipment issues...just really giving me a bad feeling about this center.

These lanes were really, really dry. It even made practicing single-pin spare shooting practice difficult, if not impossible, because the ball hooked away from the pin...even when thrown straight. I had to actually aim for the 1-2 boards, at the tracers, and let the plastic spare ball straighten out into the 10-pin. I made a perfect shot at the 4-pin that hooked into the gutter just before where the 7-pin would normally have stood. Just absurd. And there's no excuse for that. I'm sick and tired of the USBC whining about the decline of the sport of bowling...yet the few of us that actually take the sport seriously and actually try to PRACTICE (not just show up on league night)...we have to deal with this nonsense. It's just disappointing...especially because this center has fallen from tied for 2nd to a solid 4th...and it means I may have to do leagues at the centers that are the furthest away from me...despite this particular center having a really nice staff.

Summer Practice: wood synthetics

562 Series: 185-221-156

First time testing out the new Thug Life...probably the best ball I've ever thrown, in terms of initial results. The reaction was so angular...that I kept thinking I was going to miss the pocket...and suddenly the ball just turned and slammed into the pocket.

In Game 3 I tried out the new Ebonite Warning Sign...definitely the worst debut, in contrast to the Thug Life...I can remember. I couldn't play the same line as the Thug Life...was missing WAY right. I tried to move out to the track...still very little reaction. To make matters worse, it seemed like every one of my misses was some split or disasterous washout...no easy spares.

439 Series: 147-145-147

Decided to continue to work with the Warning Sign...ended up playing straight at the pocket...which was slightly better, but even pocket hits tended to leave 10-pins.

Game 2 was more of the same. Switched to the Scandal Pearl to see if I could figure out of the problem was the Warning Sign or the lines that I was playing. Still no luck...tried moving left and playing a bit more aggressive of a line...still not luck.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.54 pins
    Strikes: 40% (2 turkeys, 5 doubles, and 10 singles)
    Spares: 40% picked up

Single Pin spares: 54% (6/11)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (6x)
    Also left a single 3-pin, 4-pin, 5-pin, and 2-pin (2x).

Multiple Pin spares: 34% (9/26)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 2-8 and 2-4-8-10 split (3x each)

Splits: 10% (1/10)

Average over 6 games: 166.83.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 175.33.

Gave this center serious consideration for being one of the centers I bowl at come fall leagues...despite it being a rather small house with wood lanes. But, this is the second time I've tried to bowl there in 2 weeks...and one time it was closed and today it didn't open till 3PM. This is the problem with small, country centers...you can't really rely on them to be staffed and open. The lanes play okay...despite them being of wood construction....and it's a nice little center with a knowledgeable kid running it. And, the major selling point is that it's very close by...less than 15 minutes...in a decent area. I'm just worried that the lane conditions are going to be too unpredictable. One minute I'm shooting a 279 and 700+ series and the next minute I'm going for a 145-145-145 triplicate.

Not sure what the problem was. Might have been me being out of practice...having not bowled in almost 2 weeks...a LONG break in Aslan terms. Might have been the new arsenal...still trying to sort out the progression. The Warning Sign looks to be a challenging ball, just like the Innovate was...maybe even more so. And this is the first time I've thrown a DV8 ball despite having thrown Radical and quite a few Brunswick balls.

This progression was sort of 'haphazardly' put together...just a 'semi'-arsenal change replacing two of the four balls....mainly just to use up my stock of 16lb balls I still have left in "the closet of destiny." Ideally, I'd have replaced the Scandal Pearl with the Thug Life...I like the skid/flip properties of the Thug Life more than I like it as a "1st ball out of the bag." The Warning Sign should be a decent replacement for the Innovate...same manufacturer and similar release dates...almost identical specs. But, it adds a hybrid coverstock to a primarily pearl progression...and although the Innovate wasn't very popular...the Warning Sign was probably one of the least popular ball releases in history.

I'll be experimenting a lot with surface in this progression...trying to make everything 'fit' together. I changed the surface on the Thug Life immediately after it was drilled. The OOB surface was perfect for a #3 skid/flip ball...but I put a 3000 abralon surface on it to make it more useful as a ball #1 in the progression. I was worried it would dull the backend reaction...hook too early, lose power...but not based on how it performed this afternoon.

I'm thinking the 3000 surface on the hybrid cover of the Warning Sign will allow me to stay in the same place when I ball down...rather than move 1:2 right like I had to do with the polished Innovate. Might even let me change my strategy a bit and make a 1:1 move inside; stay in the oil more. But, so far...although it's early...the progression isn't firing on all cylinders.

Summer Practice: medium-oil synthetics

Warm-Up: 185

587 Series: 187-219-181

Game 1 I only opened on a couple splits. Game 2 my only open was a 1-2-4-6-10. Game 3 I had to switch to the Warning Sign and also had some spare shooting issues.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.14 pins
    Strikes: 54% (3 turkeys, 2 doubles, and 7 singles)
    Spares: 52% picked up

Single Pin spares: 66% (6/9)
    Most common single-pin leave: 2-pin and 10-pin (3x each)
    Also left a single 9-pin and 7-pin (2x).

Multiple Pin spares: 40% (4/10)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 3-6-10 and 6-10 split (2x each)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 4 games: 193.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 199.00.

My single-pin spare shooting wasn't good. I stayed and played a game of lowball...didn't do that great. Apparently I can take some time off and get my strike game back rather quickly...but the spare shooting was rusty.

This center was in contention to be one of the centers that gets my league business...I figured one night of two. But, the league I was interested in is full...so I'll probably just do two leagues at the other center...as long as those don't fill up before I find a job. And then, of course, I have to hope I end up with a day shift job that will allow me to make it to a 6:00PM bowling night twice a week...don't know that yet. If the other center's leagues fill up, there are a couple other leagues at this center that would be acceptable.

This is only the second time throwing the new equipment. Same review as last time...the Thug Life is snappier on the backend...makes me nervous to see it gliding right...not knowing if it'll make the turn. But, it usually makes the turn and hits with authority.

The Warning Sign...not so glowing reviews. The Warning Sign should move sooner than the Innovate...but the Warning Sign doesn't seem to move at ALL. Going from the Reax Pearl to the Innovate I usually had to make a 1:2 move right...because the Innovate was just much weaker than the Reax Pearl. But, when going from the Thug Life to the Warning Sign...I actually have to move my target left about a half board...and move my feet 2.5 boards right...creating a very straight shot into the pocket. Not a huge surprise...of every ball I've ever purchased...the Warning Sign was the one I was least excited about. Gonna have to figure out how to throw it though...or it's gonna get retired early...and I don't really have a good 16lb option in that spot unless I unretire the Innovate.

Warm-Up: 175

546 Series: 199-167-180

Game 1 I only opened on a couple splits. Game 2 my only open was a 1-2-4-6-10. Game 3 I had to switch to the Warning Sign and also had some spare shooting issues.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.52 pins
    Strikes: 40% (1 turkey, 3 doubles, and 8 singles)
    Spares: 62% picked up

Single Pin spares: 85% (6/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x)
    Also left a single 2-pin, 6-pin, and 4-pin (2x).

Multiple Pin spares: 52% (9/17)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-4 (4x)

Average over 4 games: 180.25.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 183.25.

My spare-shooting was better...but the strike rate and ability to string strikes together was brutal.

I mainly focused on accuracy because I was really struggling at hitting my target. Also focused on the other physical and timing related things...but missing 3-4 boards right was really frustrating me. Didn't pull many shots...so I think my timing was halfway decent...but I don't know why I was missing right, especially by so many boards, all of the sudden.

I used the Thug Life for all 4 games...didn't move much laterally. Perhaps I should have tried to straighten out my line and ball down...but I just didn't have enough feel for what was going on to be confident in any changes/moves.

Mentally I think my current "situation" is hampering me. Bowling is, in many ways, a "mental game"...and I'd be more "comfortable" mentally if I was preparing for league play that starts in a matter of 2 weeks. I'd like to know that I'm preparing for the next phase in my bowling career, as a high average bowler, in a new region, against new challengers, in a larger handicap league; where maybe I can take that next step to become a "league leader" or a bowler competing for the "high-average" position and perhaps the > 200 average (THS) phase of my career. I don't like this uncertainty where I don't know if I'll be bowling this Fall/Winter or where I'll be bowling this Fall/Winter.

But, after 4 weeks off...it was good to get some time in on the lanes this week.

Warm-Up: 254

435 Series: 153-136-146

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.73 pins
    Strikes: 36% (1 8-bagger, 1 double, and 6 singles)
    Spares: 44% picked up

Single Pin spares: 61% (8/13)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 4-pin and 7-pin (4x)
    Also left a single 2-pin, 5-pin, 9-pin, and 6-pin (2x).

Multiple Pin spares: 28% (4/14)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 2-4-5-8 bucket (3x)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 4 games: 172.25.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 186.75.

Just a miserable practice. I started out with good results...but my accuracy and timing was off...it was just good carry from the Thug Life.

Once that carry disappeared...I couldn't seem to open the lanes up. I'd move 1:2 inside, and leave a bucket. Then, move 1:2 right...and go through the nose.

I finally switched to the Warning Sign midway through Game 2...and that was an unmitigated disaster. The Warning Sign is quickly becoming my least favorite ball of all time. For a Hybrid with a 2.49 RG...this ball does NOT move. I had to move outside to inside of the 5-board just to see the ball make a noticeable move. I could put more surface on it...but then I risk it burning up.

The dang Ball #2 in my progression has always been a problem. First I couldn't get the Dark Encounter to work. Then the Innovate was challenging. Now the Warning Sign. I'd like to blame it on EBI...but honestly the Scandal Pearl (EBI) is one of the better balls I've ever thrown.

I think I just need more frequent practice. With my job search and writing in full swing...and my league bowling up in the air...and more family commitments...and a longer distance to the bowling center...I just don't have the time to practice the way I used to. I've been considering joining a couple leagues...just to stay active as a bowler and keep my skills in tact. But, if I join a league...then I'm committed...and should I need to move or take a job with problematic hours...I'd have to quit. Smarter to just wait this out and try to get in as much practice as I can.

Personally I would just join a league, you need competition, and league prepped lanes.

Just be upfront and tell them your position / hours / location could change before the end of the season and force you to leave the team, it happens all the time, it's life.
    If a team is short a guy they will take a chance, really what do they have to lose......

Practicing by yourself is great but you need league play also, just my take on it......

Page 175 of 225 FirstFirst ... 75125165171172173174175176177178179185 ... LastLast