Page 183 of 226 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185186187193 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,830 of 2251

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Sounds like a rough day, we all have them.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Sounds like a rough day, we all have them.
    Pretty much. The real tragedy is that I'm starting to get used to the bad days as the new normal.

Thursday Men's League: low-oil synthetics

557 Series: 139-193-225

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.12 pins
    Strikes: 54%
    Spares: 53% picked up

Single Pin spares: 62% (5/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 6-pin (5x)

Multiple Pin spares: 42% (3/7)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a.

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 185.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 196.33.

Games 1 my timing was just really, reallly awful. Spare shooting was horrid...missed two single-pins, a Big 4, and two washouts from yanking the shot.

Game 2 I switched to the Warning Sign. I didn't really add any strikes...but I made all but one spare to salvage a respectable score.

Game 3 I switched to the Scandal Pearl. I moved well inside (targeting 14 at the arrows, standing 24) of my usual position (targeting 10 midway between the dots and the arrows, standing 18). The strikes were "questionable"...a couple Brooklyns before I made the move left and a couple really light hits that carried. The only open was a 4-6-7 split in the second frame.

As the night went on, I tried to remember all my training and tried to fix the issues. Mainly;

- Forward spine tilt and the line with good form/balance.
    - Keep my sweep leg foot on the floor.
    - Watch the ball go over the target (to avoid rising up out of the shot or jerking my head up).
    - Stay under the ball.
    - Follow-through.

I even used Rob's advice that he gave me WAY back when....when he told me to get to the line and before I started my approach, to imagine a STOP sign. Then, think about the shot and what you need to work on...then start your approach. I have the tendency, especially when I'm struggling...to hurry up and get set...then immediately start my approach (hoping to quickly fix my shot). When I do this, I often forget at least 1-2 things I was planning on focusing on.

Still haven't managed to get the ball spinner up and running...but need to. The balls really could use a surfacing. The Scandal Pearl has nowhere near the performance it had OTB. It used to by a ball I KNEW was going to make that nice move at the end and carry well. Now, it limps into the pocket.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

592 Series: 212-179-201

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.12 pins
    Strikes: 53%
    Spares: 40% picked up

Single Pin spares: 57% (4/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x)

Multiple Pin spares: 25% (2/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-10 washout (3x).

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 197.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 205.33.

Games 1 it was back-to-back 1-2-10 washouts and a missed 10-pin on the 3rd shot of the 10th frame that held me back.

Game 2 was a 5-10 split in the 6th frame, a missed 4-pin in the 2nd, and a missed 10-pin on the 2nd shot of the 10th that really hurt me.

Game 3 I pulled a shot in the 4th and was rewarded with a 4-6-10 split, then missed right in the 5th and chopped a 2-4-8. Another 1-2-10 on the 2nd shot of the 10th didn't help either.

My spare shooting was unacceptable, and obviously I need to do some practicing after leagues for the rest of the season if I continue to have that issue. But, that is an issue hopefully practice can fix.

While the spare shooting upset me, because I know I can do better, I really learned a lot about what my struggles may be since starting back up bowling. Leaving 3 1-2-10s...on lines that also struck...made me take a look at my hand position. And, I found that when I got low enough that my hand naturally was under/behind the ball...I would usually strike or leave either a ringing or flat 10. A flat 10 just meant that I probably needed to either get the ball out on the lane a bit further or I needed to make a slight adjustment left. If I didn't get low enough...my release would be more like a suitcase style release...and I'd get very little movement downlane....thus leaving the 1-2-10.

So, the 1-2-10 leaves were actually a good thing from the standpoint that it helped me realize what my problem may be. Leaving less subtle things...like flat 10s...is harder to diagnose...because there is more than one reason you might have left it. But, a 1-2-10...on a line that was striking on the previous shot...when you seem to be hitting your mark...that's not a changing lane condition or slight speed increase.

So...if I'm right (and I rarely am)....I just need to focus on getting lower. Your hand will naturally get behind/under the ball when you are low...just like your hand will naturally move out of position and towards the top of the ball if you raise up out of your finishing stance. To keep you hand under/behind the ball while upright would require a good deal of loft. So... a little more knee bend and forward spine tilt...focusing on my hand position...and staying down in my stance (no popping up or lifting my swing leg)...and I may be headed back towards the 195 average target.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

Better day at least.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Better day at least.
    Yeah...no I just gotta keep inching back towards that 195 average level.

583 Series: 212-199-172

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.09 pins
    Strikes: 42%
    Spares: 63% picked up

Single Pin spares: 81% (9/11)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (5x)

Multiple Pin spares: 37% (3/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 194.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 202.00.

Games 1 I started off with a 4-10 split...opened on a 10-pin in the 3rd...but was clean the rest of the way.

Didn't strike as much in Game 2, but only open was on a 3-9-10 split in the 5th. Was hoping to strike out in the 10th and have a chance at a 212-212-212 triplicate...but a 1-2-10 washout on the second shot destroyed that idea.

Game 3 I left a 4-9 split in the 3rd and missed a 10-pin in the 9th. Otherwise clean...but, with only 3 strikes and an open in the 9th...my scoring was abysmal.

Spare shooting was better. Still not perfect...but better. Gotta stay focused on the release...and not just go up there and suitcase it. And, I still pulled more than a few shots which tells me my timing still isn't completely back. But...I averaged > 180...only a handful of open frames...so we're getting there.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Pretty decent night!
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    Pretty decent night!
    Thx

544 Series: 157-190-197

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.62 pins
    Strikes: 40%
    Spares: 72% picked up

Single Pin spares: 62% (5/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 2-pin and 6-pin (2x each)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 80% (8/10)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 4-7 (2x)

Splits: n/a

Average over 3 games: 181.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 192.67.

Game 1 I just couldn't get dialed in. Timing was still a bit off as well. Only a couple opens, but also only a couple strikes.

Game 2 was / X X / then an open, then X X / X until an open in the 10th on a missed single 2-pin of all things.

Game 3 I was working on a Dutch 200 until I missed a single 7-pin in the 7th. Finished clean with a X, X, 9 /, X...but it wasn't enough to get to 200.

Just never figured things out the whole night. The line or ball or something...was just off. No miss room right or left. I switched balls midway through Game 2...with much less of a reason than usual. I think the same thing happened last time were on this pair...but I don't remember for sure.

440 Series: 138-178-124

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.31 pins
    Strikes: 28%
    Spares: 43% picked up

Single Pin spares: 54% (6/11)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 33% (4/12)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 3-6-10 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 146.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 162.33.

Game 1 I couldn't figure out the left lane: 7 2, X, 9 -, X, 7 2, X, 9 -, X, 7 2, X, 5 2. Due to the way bowling is scored...a strike every other frame coupled with an open every other frame, doesn't tend to score well.

In Game 2, I fixed the tape in my thumb hole on my spare ball...which helped me pick up my spares. If it weren't for a 1-2-10 washout in the first frame (that I almost picked up throwing a back-up ball)...it'd been a clean game. Only 2 strikes...but a clean game.

Game 3 everything just fell apart. I was back to missing single-pin spares, I threw a first shot into the gutter in the 3rd frame, splits in the 6th and 10th...it was just abysmal. One of those games (and series) that make you start to question whether to continue bowling or not.

It just seemed like I was pulling my shots again...missing left...going through the nose...then I'd move left and leave washouts, 3-5-9s, and 3-9s. I don't know how to get my timing back and get back to the consistency I'm used to. I don't care if I can't throw a 260 game...as long as I know every game is above 170 with 0-3 open frames. Very disappointing.

570 Series: 196-172-202

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.94 pins
    Strikes: 50%
    Spares: 50% picked up

Single Pin spares: 50% (3/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (2x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 5-pin, 7-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (4/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 3-6-10 (2x)

Splits: 50% (1/2)

Average over 3 games: 190.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 201.00.

Six strikes in the first 7 frames of Game 1. Screwed myself out of a good score by missing a 10-pin in the 9th and missing right on the first ball of the 10th...leaving me a 2-8-10 split.

Game 2 was some bad spare shooting early, then X, /, X, / X, / over the last 6 frames. Not condusive to high scoring.

Game 3 was similar to Game 1. Five strikes over the first 6 frames...then a missed 10-pin...missed right in the 9th to leave a 2-4-5-7-8.

I think I figured out my problem (which I keep saying but then have to figure out a new solution the following week). In Game 3...I tried to just relax and let the swing happen. If I can get in a balanced position at the end...and I just let the swing happen...with my hand behind or under the ball...good things tend to happen. Games 1 and 2 I was trying HARD to "make shots". Trying to be super precise. That led to pulling shots or throwing the ball down into the lane (double dribbling) with my hand on top the ball.

Once I relaxed and stopped trying to force things...the ball speed came down...the revs seemed to increase a little (better hand position)...and I was able to move inside of the 10-board and open my shot up a little bit.

Not sure what my deal is with the 10-pins. I felt like last week the thumb hole was sticking and that was messing with my release. This week, it felt like the thumb hole was a little too big...which led to me grabbing the ball. But, it's also just watching the ball go over the target and not pulling my head and torso up...kinda like my golf game...if I keep my head down during my swing...straight shot. If I pull my head up and turn to look where the ball goes...I slice the ball 1-2 fairways over.

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I think I figured out my problem (which I keep saying but then have to figure out a new solution the following week). In Game 3...I tried to just relax and let the swing happen. If I can get in a balanced position at the end...and I just let the swing happen...with my hand behind or under the ball...good things tend to happen. Games 1 and 2 I was trying HARD to "make shots". Trying to be super precise. That led to pulling shots or throwing the ball down into the lane (double dribbling) with my hand on top the ball.

Once I relaxed and stopped trying to force things...the ball speed came down...the revs seemed to increase a little (better hand position)...and I was able to move inside of the 10-board and open my shot up a little bit.
    Nice observation of your own game and one of the exact same things I tell some of my team mates when they are struggling a bit. Get back to basics, let the ball do the work for you and just let your arm naturally swing. When you force things, it never turns out the way it is wanted to.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Page 183 of 226 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185186187193 ... LastLast