Page 173 of 226 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175176177183223 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 2253

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Summer Practice (low-oil synthetics)

437 Series: 150-145-142
    Just insanely poo-tastic. The Reax Pearl was hooking the lane...even with me standing with my posterior up against the ball return targeting 20 at the arrows. Switched to the 300A in Game 3...but it wouldn't move at all.

504 Series: 196-152-156
    Figured carrydown might be the culprit...so I switched to the Innovate and moved back to the track. Managed to finally put a decent game together...but the line didn't last long. By the second game, my poo factory was back up against the ball return and I was targeting 17...not to mention they turned the lights out for cosmic bowling. Tried the 300A again in the 3rd game...tried to straighten the line out a bit...but it still wasn't moving for me.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 7.95 pins
    Strikes: 29% (1 4-bagger, 3 doubles, and 9 singles)
    Spares: 48% picked up

Single Pin spares: 44% (4/9)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 5-pin, 6-pin, and 7-pin (2x each)
    Never left a single 2-pin, 4-pin, 8-pin, nor 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (17/34)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-4 (4x)

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 4 games: 156.83.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 165.83.

Gave another center a try. I asked the guy at the counter for a fresh lane and he said they hadn't been oiled since the night before. So, in other words...I was bowling on lanes that got fried in league play and then had cosmic bowlers throwing plastic balls on them till midnight.

So. my THEORY. is that the league play fried the midlane...and the cosmic bowling pushed oil down to the breakpoint. So, if you use a ball that is too strong or has too much surface...or you pull the shot...you'll be lucky to hit brooklyn. One of my pulled shots with the Reax Pearl took out the 7-pin clean. If you miss right...or ball down too severely (300A)...there's too much oil around the breakpoint and ball never reacts. I threw the 300A up 5-6 and it didn't make it back to the pocket.

The Innovate was able to work for awhile...because the surface was alot less than the Reax Pearl (4000 Abralon vs 2000/Step 2 buff/resin polish)...which allowed it to make it through the midlane. And, then it had alot more bite with a stronger cover and stronger/lower RG (2.49 RG VS 2.58 RG) core. Unfortunately, once the line started to transition...there wasn't much oil left in the middle until you got to the center of the lane.

Not a great day...and a pretty bad debut for this center...which now isn't very high on my list. It came in at 2nd (out of 6 possibles) and now I'd say it's probably in the 4th to 6th range depending on how the next two centers look.
    Last edited by Aslan; 06-16-2017 at 01:25 PM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

So what is harder in your opinion Aslan,,,,,,,, day old bread,,,, or sporting patterns? LOL.... Maybe a new truly rough pattern for REAL MEN TO BOWL would be Day old used bread! LOL
    If you want to put "THE" sport back into the league bowling, just put a house pattern down, then let a grade school class with the bumpers up roll a dozen games or so.

I swear, even a fresh house pattern can be very challenging as it proved to me last Wendsday. Some good bowlers on the league, and lanes I was on. NO ONE was able to get even close to their average!!! I think the house pattern varies VERY much, week to week, and its not at all the ((((easy piece of cake many claim!)))

Do we all have 230 or higher averages..... hell NO! Its a unique challenge each and every week! So says ICEMAN,,,, and I am a Bowling God!

Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    So what is harder in your opinion Aslan,,,,,,,, day old bread,,,, or sporting patterns?
    Actually, day-old burnt patterns with substantial carrydown are far, far more difficult than a sport pattern.

1) With a sport pattern, you KNOW what the pattern is supposed to be and how it's supposed to be played.

2) A sport pattern still has hold in the middle and a dry breakpoint.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Actually, day-old burnt patterns with substantial carrydown are far, far more difficult than a sport pattern.

1) With a sport pattern, you KNOW what the pattern is supposed to be and how it's supposed to be played.

2) A sport pattern still has hold in the middle and a dry breakpoint.
    Especially in the summer. I'm not sure if its just a thing around here but the patterns put out in the summer even for the leagues tend to play drier. Not sure if it's because the building temp or that the lanes may not be oiled every day or that it's just really lower volume patterns but you can tell the difference.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Especially in the summer. I'm not sure if its just a thing around here but the patterns put out in the summer even for the leagues tend to play drier. Not sure if it's because the building temp or that the lanes may not be oiled every day or that it's just really lower volume patterns but you can tell the difference.
    Obviously not all centers do the same thing , but I think many if not most of them figure with fewer leagues in the summer and probably a smaller number of total games bowled per week, they oil much less often. Even with no games being bowled they may be losing some fraction of the conditioner to evaporation.
    John

Summer Practice (wood lanes, 43ft THS pattern, moderate-heavy oil volume)

Warm-Up Game: 147
    Gave myself a warm-up game on account of this being my first set on wood lanes in probably 4 years. Started out with the 300A thinking the lanes would play dirt dry...but they didn't seem that bad. Switched to the Innovate in frame 3 and took the rest of the time moving right and finding my line. I was SHOCKED at how far right I ended up playing...we're talking my "B-Game" of playing first arrow!!

588 Series: 226-181-181

Game 1 I started with the Reax Pearl...but in the 3rd frame it left a pocket 7-10 so I switched back to the Innovate and moved out near first arrow. Made a bad shot in the 6th frame...then left a pocket 10-pin in the 7th...but otherwise I was striking like crazy.

Game 2 I started losing my line...tried to stick it out with the Innovate but finally switched to the Scandal Pearl in the 7th frame. I moved 2:1 inside thinking the Scandal Pearl would be stronger...but it ended up being my only open of the game; a 2-8-10 split.

Game 3 I was able to stay in the same general area...struck more often...but a few opens on some bad shots.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.48 pins
    Strikes: 45% (1 4-bagger, 1 turkey, 3 doubles, and 8 singles)
    Spares: 54% picked up

Single Pin spares: 71% (5/7)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (6x)
    Also left a single 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 46% (7/15)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 2-8-10 split (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Average over 4 games: 183.75.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 186.00.

This was an interesting little 12-lane center with wood lanes and some old scoring equipment I'd never seen before.

The guy working the place was knowlegeable and gave me some league information. An old guy was watching me bowl. Friendly atmosphere...and it's nearby where I live without having to deal with Des Moines traffic. Not to mention...no league bowlers had a 200+ average there last fall...so I'd be one of the better bowlers in the center.

The downside is wood lanes. Even though I was able to adjust and am confident I could do well on those conditions due to the heavier volume of oil and medium/long pattern...LOTS of hold in the middle...wood lanes make you play differently and they don't prepare you very well for sanctioned play in tournaments or at other centers. If I did do a league at this center, which I'd like to, I'd almost HAVE to do a league at a center with synthetic lanes...if for no other reason than to:
    1) Keep my synthetic game current.
    and
    2) See the difference between wood/synthetics will all things (skill level, bowler, arsenal) being kept constant.

I always though Amyers and other were full of it when they talked about playing outside on wood lanes. But, now I'm a bit more of a believer. On synthetics, outside of Vegas or sport patterns, I can never play outside of 10. Back on the old wood lanes I used to bowl on...I only was able to play outside of 10 because I had a very high speed, low revs, and weak equipment. But on THESE wood lanes...I was doing quite well playing 4-7 up and in.

Interesting.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Summer Practice (medium-oil synthetics)

Warm-Up Game: 191
    Had 4 games...so I used the first one as a warm-up. This center forced me just a shade outside of 10...about 2 boards right of where I usually play. This center does a great job at lane maintenance and put a decent amount of oil down.

641 Series: 214-217 (clean)-210

Game 1 was very strong. Either a strike or 9 count on every first ball except the 5th where I pushed the shot 3-5 boards right and left a 1-2-4...which I chopped for my only open frame.

Tried sticking with the Reax Pearl...but after two frames in Game 2, I finally gave up and made the move to the Innovate...moved my line 2:1 outside...then another 1:1 outside...played up and in up the 8-9 board. Couldn't run many strikes together...but kept things clean.

Game 3 I was able to stay with the Innovate...but wasn't making as good a shots as Game 2. A 5-10 split in the first frame and a missed 4-pin in the 10th cost me a chance at a much better score.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.30 pins
    Strikes: 52% (1 5-bagger, 1 4-bagger, 1 turkey, 2 doubles, and 7 singles)
    Spares: 80% picked up

Single Pin spares: 93% (14/15)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (6x)
    Never left a single 1-pin nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (3/6)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 4 games: 208.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 211.00.

I can see why this is the place that most of the high-level talent in the area bowls. Doesn't look like much from the outside...but I nice place on the inside, well-lit, well-maintained, and they put a decent volume of oil on the lanes.

The problem is "distance". For a guy spoiled by having a bowling alley that he could hit with a spitball from his balcony...driving 30 minutes to the bowling alley is a downer. If fall league started next week, I think this would be my choice for one league and the other 30-min away center my choice for a second league. But...the two leagues I'm most interested in for this center have waiting lists and I'm not sure if they're handicap leagues. I want to get at least 6 more games in at each of the 6 centers before making any decisions. Still plenty of time before Fall/Winter.

Summer Practice (carrydown)

Warm-Up Game: 162
    Had 4 games...so I used the first one as a warm-up. Never really found a good line to the pocket. Only a couple opens...but only one strike.

492 Series: 169-121-202

Early in Game 1 I moved out to the 5-board and started throwing the Innovate. Eventually I had moved all the way out to the 3-board...still couldn't seem to find a consistent line.

Game 2 I tried the Scandal Pearl for a couple frames...but still nothing...so I went back to the Reax Pearl and tried to move my line inside...throw straight up the 3rd arrow to the pocket. 3 splits and I didn't pick up ONE spare the entire game.

I finally got dialed in Game 3. Moved my angle outside a bit...laying down around 8-9 at the dots...throwing straight at the pocket. It was really the only shot that was there. There was no break downlane...not even out in the 1-5 area. Any attempt to play a hook shot just sent the ball well right and left 2-pin combos and washouts. Pulled shots never made it left of the headpin...usually resulted in splits.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.51 pins
    Strikes: 25% (1 turkey, 1 double, and 6 singles)
    Spares: 60% picked up

Single Pin spares: 85% (12/14)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (4x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 6-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 37% (6/16)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 0% (0/5)

Average over 4 games: 163.50.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 169.50.

I asked the lady why the lane played so differently than last weekend and she said they hadn't oiled the lanes since the morning yesterday.

So, for all of those who don't believe carrydown exists...if it weren't for carrydown...I'd have been throwing my Track 300A for sure. Instead, I had to resort to throwing the Reax Pearl straight at the pocket and couldn't get movement...even outside of the 5-board.

This was disappointing. This center was in the lead for where I was planning on bowling this fall...it's a nice center that puts down a decent amount of oil. But, not oiling your lanes for over 24 hours is inexcusable. This wasn't a holiday weekend...no excuse other than a lazy center.

Why don't bowlers "practice" anymore? Why do they just show up on league night? THIS is why...because what's the point of practice if you're bowling on lanes that have no pattern...just carrydown?? Sure, you can work on timing and release...technique stuff....but what other sports do this to their participants? Do basketball hopes get lowered to 5 feet during practice? Do ice hockey players have to run around in their shoes? Do football players have to practice with Nerf balls? It's a joke.

Next time I return...I'll ask when they oiled their lanes last...and if it's > 24 hours, I'll ask that they oil a lane for me to practice on. Bonus points (customer service) if they do...loss of a potential league bowler if they don't.

Summer Practice: medium-oil synthetics

Warm-Up Game: 197 (clean)
    Almost a Dutch 200. /, X, /, X. /, X, /, /, X, /, X.

535 Series: 122-215-198

No carry in Game 1. The guy had just oiled, so the conditions were fresh...but I think there was more oil down than I was used to. I ended up sticking with the straight shot...but there was some dry out there...so I could target around the arrows rather than the dots. But, 2 splits, a washout, and a couple single-pin misses did me in early.

Took a break after Game 1...just needed to gather my thoughts and settle down. The straight shot was there...I just needed to stay focused and stop trying to MAKE things happen. Made a 2-10 split in the first frame and would have been clean except for a missed 10-pin in the 3rd frame...all 9-counts or strikes from then on, and finally managed to find some carry.

Game 3 only had one open as well...a 4-6 split in the 2nd frame. But, I didn't find my carry until the 7th frame...one strike shy of Game 2 cost me the 200+.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.82 pins
    Strikes: 38% (2 turkeys, 2 doubles, and 7 singles)
    Spares: 69% picked up

Single Pin spares: 75% (9/12)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (4x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 5-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 64% (9/14)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-4, 1-2-8, and 1-2-4-10 (2x each)

Splits: 25% (1/4)

Average over 4 games: 183.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 191.25.

This place hadn't oiled their lanes since the night before...probably just before league play...so about 22 hours before. She put me on a lane that they had just oiled for league play...which was nice of her...but kinda poo-tastic for the team that now needs to bowl on the pair where I burnt a line one one of their lanes.

This place remains on the bottom of my list of potential centers for fall leagues...but if I did end up bowling here...I think I'd need to add some surface to my equipment...they put down a decent amount of oil on their THS and my pearls....even the non-buffed/non-polished Reax Pearl...just didn't seem to pick up and do anything until far too late.

Summer Practice: wood lanes

Warm-Up Game: 209
    Rough start....the lanes played a good deal drier than when I played here last week. But once I got dialed in...smooth sailing from there on.

700 Series: 224-277 (clean)-199

Wasn't too consistent in Game 1. Struggled to keep the Reax Pearl from jumping inside and at times it seemed to hit weak...probably burning up. Switched to the Innovate in the 5th frame...but made a couple bad shots to ruin a pretty good game.

Game 2 the Innovate was just perfect for the lane conditions. Straight up the 9-11 boards....clean through the heads and mid-lane...nice, controllable move to the pocket on the backend. A couple lucky breaks...a couple big misses right that I had enough hand in to get the ball back to the pocket. One miss right left a 2-4-8....so no perfect game for me. The local that was watching me bowl gave me a hand though...nice to have a fan!

By the start of Game 3...seemed like the line was finally giving out...so I switched to the Scandal Pearl and finished strong. Only opens were a couple splits.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.30 pins
    Strikes: 63% (1 6-bagger, 1 5-bagger, 1 4-bagger, 4 turkeys, 1 double, and 1 single)
    Spares: 53% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (6/6)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (5x)
    Also left a single 4-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 22% (2/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-3-9 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/5)

Average over 4 games: 227.25.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: n/a.

Gotta love wood lanes! A miss right with some decent hand in the ball...and that baby comes back with a vengeance! And, the Innovate may be the weak point in the arsenal on synthetic lanes...but it's a great match-up for wood lanes.

This center only has 82 league bowlers and the highest average last season was 191. That's about half of one league back in Cali. It'd certainly be a change of pace...and having a chance at being one of the top 5 bowlers in a league just seems strange.

Still early. Right now this center is ranked 5th out of 6 options...but it's WELL ahead of option 6...and 1st though 5th are pretty close. Probably give the other 3 North Des Moines centers a try next week.

Page 173 of 226 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175176177183223 ... LastLast