Page 174 of 226 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184224 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 2251

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Summer Practice (carrydown)
    I asked the lady why the lane played so differently than last weekend and she said they hadn't oiled the lanes since the morning yesterday.

So, for all of those who don't believe carrydown exists...if it weren't for carrydown...I'd have been throwing my Track 300A for sure. Instead, I had to resort to throwing the Reax Pearl straight at the pocket and couldn't get movement...even outside of the 5-board.

This was disappointing. This center was in the lead for where I was planning on bowling this fall...it's a nice center that puts down a decent amount of oil. But, not oiling your lanes for over 24 hours is inexcusable. This wasn't a holiday weekend...no excuse other than a lazy center.

Why don't bowlers "practice" anymore? Why do they just show up on league night? THIS is why...because what's the point of practice if you're bowling on lanes that have no pattern...just carrydown?? Sure, you can work on timing and release...technique stuff....but what other sports do this to their participants? Do basketball hopes get lowered to 5 feet during practice? Do ice hockey players have to run around in their shoes? Do football players have to practice with Nerf balls? It's a joke.
    Why don't bowlers "practice" anymore?

Because the league shot is on a relatively easy house pattern. We don't have to be good spare shooters because because we can string 3 or 4 strikes and make up for the open.
    Because all I have to do to raise my average ten pins is to buy a new ball. (left over thinking from the late 80s early 90s)
    Because if I don't bowl well it must be the fault of the guy who runs the lane machine. or the pins are "bad", or the approaches were too sticky or too slippery.........

Do basketball hopes get lowered to 5 feet during practice?

If this was the equivalent of 5' basketball hoops why didn't you shoot a 900 series? Sorry, I couldn't resist the cheap shot. I do get that you were trying to get a feel for the bowling center and not just working on your game, and there are times when you need a down lane reaction to work on certain things. I would think that after a game of not finding any sort of reaction you would have just picked one or two non lane dependent aspects to work on.
    John

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post

Because the league shot is on a relatively easy house pattern. We don't have to be good spare shooters because because we can string 3 or 4 strikes and make up for the open.
    Because all I have to do to raise my average ten pins is to buy a new ball. (left over thinking from the late 80s early 90s)
    Because if I don't bowl well it must be the fault of the guy who runs the lane machine. or the pins are "bad", or the approaches were too sticky or too slippery.........

Do basketball hopes get lowered to 5 feet during practice?

If this was the equivalent of 5' basketball hoops why didn't you shoot a 900 series? Sorry, I couldn't resist the cheap shot. I do get that you were trying to get a feel for the bowling center and not just working on your game, and there are times when you need a down lane reaction to work on certain things. I would think that after a game of not finding any sort of reaction you would have just picked one or two non lane dependent aspects to work on.
    I practice as much as I can during the summer, on whatever lane condition is available. Last week, it was on lanes that hadn't been oiled in two days, I had never bowled there, and shot 665. During the summer here, there's just not enough traffic to warrant hauling out the lane equipment, or wasting the electricity. Found out this particular house will be shutting down the entire month of July. There are a couple of houses that are always open on the weekends, but you can't count on what shot will be there. A lot of times, you're the only person there.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I would think that after a game of not finding any sort of reaction you would have just picked one or two non lane dependent aspects to work on.
    I could talk ALL DAY about the need for the USBC to increase pattern difficulty and lower ball performance/specifications.

However, UNTIL those changes take place (if ever), it is not unreasonable to expect that a league bowler (or prospective league bowler in this case) should have some ability to practice on the conditions they will encounter during league play.

Your argument is essentially that bowling has become so easy...we don't need to "practice" anymore....just show up on league night and bowl. But, that is often also noted as one of the reasons the "sport" of bowling is in decline and is not on par with other sports.

Now, I 'somewhat' agree with your take...that if the pattern is so screwed up...ya might just want to work on some physical aspects of your game. The difficulty is how the sport has become SO pattern dependent. Examples;

- Let's say I notice the carrydown early and decide to work on my release. I throw the ball with a bad, suitcase release and it leaves the bucket. I throw the ball the next frame with what 'seems' to be an improved release...and it leaves the 3/4 bucket. I try harder and harder....try to put more and more hand into the ball...yet I continue to leave 2-pin combos.

- Let's say I want to work on my timing. Same problem. My timing is off....I miss and leave a 1-2-4-10 washout. I post a good shot and feel my timing was good...I leave a 2-4-5 3/4 bucket.

In the 'old days'...the bowler controlled the ball reaction. If you made a good shot....you got a good result. If you made a bad shot...you got a bad result. You could "practice"....anytime...anywhere. If the lanes hadn't been maintained very well or it was a holiday weekend and they hadn't oiled them....the shot was still similar enough that you could work on physical aspects of your game.

In that horrible practice session....I finally had to resort to a straight shot at the pocket...and just work on my timing, release, and accuracy. I couldn't tell if there was a problem with the release....per se. But, if the timing was off I usually pulled the shot...so I could see that. And, on a straight shot, I certainly could tell if the accuracy was off.

As disappointing as the afternoon was, it served a purpose. I am currently evaluating centers to determine where I want to spend two league nights a week for the foreseeable future (probably the next 4 years or so). The center I evaluated performed quite well during my initial evaluation...but horribly during the follow-up evaluation. I'll be giving it at least one more evaluation...maybe more...and this is how you weed out the good from the bad.

Unlike Timmyb, I won't waste my time nor money on a center that doesn't meet my standards. When I return to this center, I now know to ask them, "When were the lanes oiled last?" If the answer is, "I don't know."; that's a bad sign. If the answer is, "last Thursday"...I'm going to ask that they oil at least one lane with their standard league pattern so I can practice and get a feel for their league shot. It's likely they will say, "no". Not a problem....that limits my search from 6 centers to 5.

Bowlers have tolerated this laziness, stupidity, and lack of respect for the sport for far too long. And, we reward this behavior and reinforce it when we simply hand them our money and say, "oh well...I guess this is the most I can expect." The electricity it takes, time it takes, and amount of oil used to oil a lane is miniscule in comparison to the amount of money a league bowler will spend on a given league night...much less two league nights per week. A quality center, with quality management, and a commitment to league bowlers...will understand this.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I wasn't really trying to argue that bowlers don't need to practice because the THS has made the game too easy. All my reasons for not practicing weremeant to be tongue in cheek.

Seriously, most league bowlers do not practice. I would suspect that most of these people are bowling as a social activity, and as long as their scor es aren't too embarassing, don't feel a need to improve.
    Of those who do practice most seem to think just bowling a lot of games is enough.
    Even with the kids in youth league only about a third stay after league to work with the coaches or come to the free bowling clinic on Wednesdays. And of those that do come to practice, only a third of them actually work the problems or weak spots in their technique.
    John

I think "practicing" is the first step. "Better practicing" is the next step.

If we can't get conditions that mimic league or tournament conditions...and we can't meaningfully practice...thats pretty much the end of the line. Even if we CAN get conditions for practice...and get more people practicing...then we get to the "better practicing" side of things. That is going to be difficult as well....because many bowling practice techniques involve doing things on the lanes or the approaches...maybe setting up video cameras...setting up little targets/tape/towels ON the lanes. Will a center allow that? Will a center help by not placing a birthday party right next to you?

If they won't even put a THS pattern down every morning...expecting a center to go that 'extra mile' is almost dreaming.

Summer Practice: low-oil synthetics

Warm-Up Game: 190
    The lanes were a little drier than last time I bowled at this center. Had to move around a bit trying to find the right line. Spare shooting wasn't good at all.

557 Series: 146-178-233

Abysmal spare shooting and bad shot-making in Game 1.

Game 2 was better than the score indicates. A couple splits and missed single-pin spares in both the 9th and 10th frames kinda ruined things.

Game 3 was even better. A spare in the first frame then a switch to the Scandal Pearl got me 7 strikes in the next 8 frames. Unfortunately, the line died out in the 10th and a 4-6-10 split ruined my 250+ bid.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.17 pins
    Strikes: 47% (1 6-bagger, 1 turkeys, 4 doubles, and 3 singles)
    Spares: 42% picked up

Single Pin spares: 53% (7/13)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (9x)
    Also left a single 3-pin, 6-pin, 7-pin, and 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 25% (2/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Average over 4 games: 186.75.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 203.25.

This center was one of the top contenders after round 1. Currently still in the running in 4th place. Tied for best in terms of the facility itself. Nice center, good staff, great bar. But, it's tied for worst in terms of distance and one of the 4 centers where the "area' leaves something to be desired.

Averaging 191 after 8 games...but yet to bowl on fresh conditions. Decent amount of oil; should be able to start just outside the track and work my way into around 13-14.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Summer Practice: dry synthetics

Warm-Up Game: 116
    Couldn't keep the Reax Pearl from hooking into the 7-pin. Figured the lanes were fried, so I switched to the 300A in the 3rd frame. Still couldn't seem to make contact with the head pin. Ended up with a couple strikes...one brooklyn.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 6.64 pins
    Strikes: 18% (2 singles)
    Spares: 22% picked up

Single Pin spares: n/a

Multiple Pin spares: 22% (2/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 5-6 split (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/2

Average over 1 game: 116.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: n/a.

I bowled one game, then went up to pay. I asked the gal at the center when the lanes were oiled last and she couldn't recall. She said, "Well, the lanes on the other side were oiled last night....because we had a league." I pressed again, "But, when were the lanes over on this side oiled last?" She responded, "Ummm....probably like 4 days ago." FOUR DAYS!?? FOUR DAYS!!? What a JOKE!!

She went on to say that they don't really oil them in the summer...because none of the serious bowlers really bowl there during the week...only occasionally in leagues. She added, "If the more serious bowlers want to practice, they usually call ahead and we oil for them."

Really?? Hmmm. I guess I'll be testing that little policy. Next time I decide to bowl there...I'll make that phone call. If they actually DO it...that's a plus in terms of customer service for sure. If they don't....well, disqualification as a potential center for my fall/winter league play.

This center was one of the top contenders after round 1. Currently still in the running in 5th place...but really took a hit after today's waste of time.

Averaging 211 after 4 games there last time; my 2nd best performance...but we'll see if they put oil down for me when I call in the coming weeks. If they do, and the pattern looks good...this center could still be in the running. If not, this center will be disqualified from consideration.

Summer Practice: low-oil synthetics

Warm-Up Game: 170
    The lanes were a LOT drier than last time I bowled at this center. I got there later in the afternoon/evening...so even if they oiled them in the morning...I wasn't gonna get a great pattern. But, it was the last of the 6 centers for Round 2 evaluation.

563 Series: 248 (clean)-131-184

Had to play 13-14...standing with my left foot nearly on 30...but I was able to keep using the Reax Pearl for the entire game. My timing and release were much better than usual...only two bad shots the entire game.

Had to switch to the Innovate in the 3rd frame and just wasn't carrying as well...nor making as good of shots. An open on a 1-2-4-7 washout in the 10th didn't help.

Game 3 was more of the same. Switched to the Scandal Pearl...but my shots were inconsistent.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.73 pins
    Strikes: 45% (1 5-bagger, 1 turkey, 1 double, and 10 singles)
    Spares: 62% picked up

Single Pin spares: 70% (7/10)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 4-pin and 10-pin (3x each)
    Also left a single 2-pin, 3-pin, and 7-pin (2x).

Multiple Pin spares: 57% (8/14)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 4-7, 2-8, and 6-7-10 split (2x each).

Splits: 40% (2/5)

Average over 4 games: 183.25.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 190.50.

This center was also one of the top contenders after round 1. Currently still in the running in 2nd place. Probably the best in terms of lane conditions. Well lit, well-maintained, and seemingly oiled each morning. Nice center, good staff, good bar. But, it really took a hit in terms of the facility today. Both times I've went there, it's smelled like mildew. The pin setter kept 'forgetting' to put down a 10-pin. The scoring system scored incorrectly a couple times. Twice it 'forgot' to set the pins after a strike. And I needed my ball rescued a couple times. All of these things happen from time to time when bowling...but to have this many problems over the course of 4 games is a bit ridiculous.

Averaged 185 after 8 games...consistent scoring most likely due to the consistent conditions. Not a lot of oil, but I've yet to bowl on truly fresh conditions there.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

What is practice??? Iceman never does any practice?? I bowl on my leagues, and honestly that's it! If I practiced WHO KNOWS what heights The Iceman could reach! Only the Gods know!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    What is practice??? Iceman never does any practice?? I bowl on my leagues, and honestly that's it! If I practiced WHO KNOWS what heights The Iceman could reach! Only the Gods know!
    And THAT...is why the next Aslan vs. Iceman Challenge will not go so well for you!

Page 174 of 226 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184224 ... LastLast