Page 186 of 191 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 1909

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

  1. #1851
    High Roller
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,890
    Chats: 13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Adult PBA Weekly Tournament: Brunswick 39ft Inferno 3:1 ratio

    Who'd have guessed that I'd be the 'star' bowler after two weeks?? Not me...
    Me neither!

    Let the accusations of sandbagging begin. Im kidding about this but after two weeks in row of good finishes, dont be surprised to find people calling you the s word behind your back or, if theyre a real sorehead, to your face.
    John

  2. #1852
    High Roller vdubtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Rockwall, TX
    Posts
    2,793
    Chats: 256

    Default

    Congrats on the win Aslan!
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

    Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

  3. #1853
    Bowling God Aslan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    6,296
    Chats: 204

    Default

    Thanks VDub.

    Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Me neither!

    Let the accusations of sandbagging begin. Im kidding about this but after two weeks in row of good finishes, dont be surprised to find people calling you the s word behind your back or, if theyre a real sorehead, to your face.
    I think things will tighten up when they adjust handicap. First 3 weeks are book...then its what you've established.

    And I haven't been at the "sandbag" level. I mean, I shot a 116 and 123 last week. I missed a single 5-pin and single 8-pin in the championship game this week. Only averaging around 160...about 173 if you adjust it.
    In Bag: (: .) Brunswick Aura Mystic; (: .) DV8 Grudge Hybrid; (: .) Brunswick Fortera Exile; (: .) Brunswick Vintage Gold Rhino Pro; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 187; Lifetime Average = 169;
    Ball Speed: 18.84mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (689); Clean Games: 141

    Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

  4. #1854
    Bowling God Aslan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    6,296
    Chats: 204

    Default

    Wednesday Miller/Coors Master's Trios League: THS

    This scoring update will be a SPECIAL EDITION: Going into tonight, the two top teams were facing off.

    On one side, Aslan's trio including himself, a talented, young 2-hander, and an anchor with a lofting hook. Aslan's team has won 40 of 51 points and is in first place by a mere point.

    On the other side, a team of ladies in their 50s-70s. Their anchor carries a 204 average with a high game (thus far) of 235. Her teammates both have scored 215 games thus far this season. They have won 39 of 51 points thus far this season...and even brought a PBA50 coach along with them to help them with their lane play.

    I started out strong. X, X, 9 /, X and was leading over my opponent. My opponent has the 4th highest average in the league behind her team's anchor, our team's anchor, and ME.

    My opponent had an open early, but kept pace. Then, she went a 4-bagger run while I opened on a 4-10 split then X, 8 /, 7 -. I managed to recover and struck in the 9th...but I was behind the 8-ball going into the 10th. Fortunately, my opponent left a 4-6-10 split while I struck. All she needed was two pins to guarantee the win...one to guarantee a tie...and she guttered. I threw my 2nd ball in the 10th and left a 1-2-10 washout. If I picked it up, I win by a point. If I gutter or only get 1 pin, I lose. I hit the 1-2 but couldn't pick up the spare = TIE 185-185.

    Now I was worried. The Thug Life wasn't working well with it's new 2500 surface. I had to make a ball change...and that meant moving right...right of where the ladies were playing. I could almost hear Rob in my head telling me it was an idiotic move...but I had to. I haven't rolled the Scandal Pearl since putting the more aggressive surface on it...so I had no idea what it'd do.

    My opponent doubles to start...while I lead off with a 9 - on a missed 10-pin. Then...I remembered what Mark Baker used to tell me..."Walk past the ball". I have a tendency to "dive" toward the foul line and rush. It throws my timing off, throws off my balance, and usually causes me to pull my shot. Next 9 shots = X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X until I leave another 10-pin in the 10th: 9 /. My opponent shot a 208 and I beat her by 60...my highest game ever.

    Game 3 continued the trend: X, X, X, X, until 2 straight bad shots left me a 7 - before another X, X, X, X. All I needed was a X, 6 / or better and I'd have my first ever 700 series! After about 2-3 frames of trying to make small adjustments so I didn't need to switch balls...I finally couldn't best the lanes and it went through the nose leaving me a 4-7-10 split.

    679 Series: 185-268-226

    PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.41 pins
    Strikes: 71%
    Spares: 33% picked up

    Single Pin spares: 66% (2/3)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (2x)
    Also left a single 3-pin.

    Multiple Pin spares: 16% (1/6)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a.

    Splits: 0% (0/2)

    Average over 3 games: 226.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 230.00.

    Our team took 15.5 (of 17) points. The ladies were only 6.5 points ahead of the 3rd place team, so with this loss they may have fallen into 3rd place. Not the night they were hoping for. They were good sports, but you could tell they were disappointed.

    Can Aslan maintain a 200+ average? Or will he lower his game to match the weaker opponents he'll face over the next 4 weeks? We shall see...we shall see...
    Last edited by Aslan; 05-15-2019 at 11:56 PM.
    In Bag: (: .) Brunswick Aura Mystic; (: .) DV8 Grudge Hybrid; (: .) Brunswick Fortera Exile; (: .) Brunswick Vintage Gold Rhino Pro; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 187; Lifetime Average = 169;
    Ball Speed: 18.84mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (689); Clean Games: 141

    Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

  5. #1855
    Bowling Guru Amyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    3,962
    Chats: 32

    Default

    Wow congrats on a great night bud. Now if you had started with that Scandal Pearl lol
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

    Current arsenal

    900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

  6. #1856
    Bowling God Aslan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    6,296
    Chats: 204

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Wow congrats on a great night bud. Now if you had started with that Scandal Pearl lol
    Thanks.

    To be HONEST...had I tried the Warning Sign in warm-ups...it may have given me a better 1st game.

    BUT AGAIN...these are the two top teams...so EVERYONE is taking part in practice...6 bowlers...10 minutes...most taking 2 shots. I barely had time to throw 2 shots on each lane.

    It was also a MISTAKE to drastically change the Scandal Pearl surface and NOT take it out for some practice shots. My progression...due to using balls of varying manufacturers and age...requires a slight adjustment as I 'progress'.

    For example, the Thug Life at 800/1000/1500/2000...to step down to the Warning Sign at 500/1000/1500/Step 2 compound requires I move my line right 1.5 boards with my eyes and 1.5 boards with my feet. Ebonite goes longer...and it's an older technology.

    IDEALLY, I'd surface each ball to the point that the step down is 0...where it's just a ball change on the same line as the previous ball...but that takes a lot of trial and error.

    The Scandal Pearl at 180/360/Step1 only required a 1 board move right with my feet (from the Warning Sign). It's a much more powerful and newer ball...and a sooner hooking Hammer brand...but it has a LOT of games on it and has really lost it's 'pop'. So, I decided to sand it with 100-grit sandpaper, do a much longer de-oiling step, then surface it with 180/240/Step 1. Well...given the surface change, the ball is noticeably duller...and I can still see some scratches from the sandpaper. I figured a one board right move with my feet was gonna be disaster...and was tempted to make the change and do a 1:2 move left instead....but that was just a 'guess'.

    But how do you change balls when you're opening Game 3 with X, X, X, X ? I KNEW the Warning Sign wasn't working great on the right lane...but I couldn't change with a perfect game possibility...ESPECIALLY when the ball I was going to switch to...I hadn't even thrown since making a noticeable surface change.
    In Bag: (: .) Brunswick Aura Mystic; (: .) DV8 Grudge Hybrid; (: .) Brunswick Fortera Exile; (: .) Brunswick Vintage Gold Rhino Pro; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 187; Lifetime Average = 169;
    Ball Speed: 18.84mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (689); Clean Games: 141

    Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

  7. #1857
    Bowling Guru Amyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    3,962
    Chats: 32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Thanks.

    To be HONEST...had I tried the Warning Sign in warm-ups...it may have given me a better 1st game.

    BUT AGAIN...these are the two top teams...so EVERYONE is taking part in practice...6 bowlers...10 minutes...most taking 2 shots. I barely had time to throw 2 shots on each lane.

    It was also a MISTAKE to drastically change the Scandal Pearl surface and NOT take it out for some practice shots. My progression...due to using balls of varying manufacturers and age...requires a slight adjustment as I 'progress'.

    For example, the Thug Life at 800/1000/1500/2000...to step down to the Warning Sign at 500/1000/1500/Step 2 compound requires I move my line right 1.5 boards with my eyes and 1.5 boards with my feet. Ebonite goes longer...and it's an older technology.

    IDEALLY, I'd surface each ball to the point that the step down is 0...where it's just a ball change on the same line as the previous ball...but that takes a lot of trial and error.

    The Scandal Pearl at 180/360/Step1 only required a 1 board move right with my feet (from the Warning Sign). It's a much more powerful and newer ball...and a sooner hooking Hammer brand...but it has a LOT of games on it and has really lost it's 'pop'. So, I decided to sand it with 100-grit sandpaper, do a much longer de-oiling step, then surface it with 180/240/Step 1. Well...given the surface change, the ball is noticeably duller...and I can still see some scratches from the sandpaper. I figured a one board right move with my feet was gonna be disaster...and was tempted to make the change and do a 1:2 move left instead....but that was just a 'guess'.

    But how do you change balls when you're opening Game 3 with X, X, X, X ? I KNEW the Warning Sign wasn't working great on the right lane...but I couldn't change with a perfect game possibility...ESPECIALLY when the ball I was going to switch to...I hadn't even thrown since making a noticeable surface change.
    Yeah I can see that. Even if your just updating the current surface the first time you try them out it makes you worry about your adjustment. Don't fret moving right early on. Rob aversion to that is trying to adjust right later in a set throwing a weaker ball not making an early change in the first game of the set. In my opinion anyway.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

    Current arsenal

    900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

  8. #1858
    Bowling God Aslan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    6,296
    Chats: 204

    Default

    I recall hearing the PBA50 pro telling the ladies on the other team: "Okay, you need to move right now...because there's a lot of carrydown out there..." and I thought..."If Rob was here, he'd punch that guy in the mouth!"

    And I'd be more inclined to side with Rob on that given night...because I didn't notice carrydown at all until 'maybe' midway through Game 3 on the right lane. This guy was talking about carrydown about a game earlier than that on both lanes.
    In Bag: (: .) Brunswick Aura Mystic; (: .) DV8 Grudge Hybrid; (: .) Brunswick Fortera Exile; (: .) Brunswick Vintage Gold Rhino Pro; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 187; Lifetime Average = 169;
    Ball Speed: 18.84mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (689); Clean Games: 141

    Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

  9. #1859
    Bowling Guru Amyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    3,962
    Chats: 32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I recall hearing the PBA50 pro telling the ladies on the other team: "Okay, you need to move right now...because there's a lot of carrydown out there..." and I thought..."If Rob was here, he'd punch that guy in the mouth!"

    And I'd be more inclined to side with Rob on that given night...because I didn't notice carrydown at all until 'maybe' midway through Game 3 on the right lane. This guy was talking about carrydown about a game earlier than that on both lanes.
    It amazes me how people think that things that were true 30 years ago still are today even though technology has completely changed. It's almost like waiting on a telegraph today lol
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

    Current arsenal

    900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

  10. #1860
    Bowling God Aslan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    6,296
    Chats: 204

    Default

    Adult PBA Weekly Tournament: Brunswick 37ft Rhino pattern

    437 Series: 136-131-170

    Pinpal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.00 pins
    Strikes: 29% (2 doubles, and 5 singles)
    Spares: 40% picked up

    Single Pin spares: 50% (2/4)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (2x).
    Also left a single 2-pin and 7-pin.

    Multiple Pin spares: 38% (7/18)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 1-2-8 and 1-2 (3x each).

    Splits: 0% (0/3)

    Average over 3 games: 145.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 152.67.

    Stayed home from work today to take a sick kid to the doctor...gave me a chance to compare some of the video I had taken a couple weeks ago...to the Mark Baker video I took with me from California. Got to the center early to catch the pro shop guy before he closed so I could get a couple VISE IT rings re-glued.

    Practiced a few games to see how each of my balls looked relative to one another. Also brought the Innovate and Columbia Blue Knight with me...worried that on this shorter pattern I might need some weaker stuff and/or more options.

    Nope...just like last time I played in a sport league...the shorter patterns didn't play any shorter for ME. The THS shot at this house is generally up the 6-9 board...standing left foot on 16-20. Well, I was playing every line from the 1st arrow to the 2nd arrow to the 3rd arrow...stood everywhere from 8 to 26...couldn't find a reliable line. The Thug Life, even at 1000 Siaair...just never grabbed. No dry on the outside...anything straight up 4-9 would be right of the headpin. Anything up the middle would find enough dry to either go through the nose or go brooklyn. I ended up having to stand 8-13 and trying to straight at the pocket over the 4-10 area.

    Add to that nightmare that my speed was up in the 17.2-18.3 range...and I just couldn't do anything. Managed to finish 7th out of 11...missed the stepladder finals for the first time.
    In Bag: (: .) Brunswick Aura Mystic; (: .) DV8 Grudge Hybrid; (: .) Brunswick Fortera Exile; (: .) Brunswick Vintage Gold Rhino Pro; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 187; Lifetime Average = 169;
    Ball Speed: 18.84mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (689); Clean Games: 141

    Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Page 186 of 191 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •