Page 214 of 225 FirstFirst ... 114164204210211212213214215216217218224 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,140 of 2246

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    At this point I have to wonder how much of your problems and your teammates problems are being caused by the friction between team members.
    You aren't wrong.

Tuesday Men's League: THS

Week 15

610 Series: 195-204-211

The sanded (800 Siaair) Optimus Solid had horrible carry. In order to strike, I had to move 1:2 right...and then had to move my vertical target out significantly. By the later part of Game 1 I was aiming about halfway down the lane and putting significant loft on the ball. This also caused my speed to drop to 12.8-13.4mph.
    9 -, X, 9 /, X, 9 -, 9 /, X, X, X, 9 /9.

Was worried when I switched to the Force Pearl that my teammate was going to throw a temper tantrum...but he wasn't having a great Game 1 so he was a bit distracted. Unfortunately, I aggravated my Achilles early in Game 2 so I was struggling with that again.
    X, 9 /, X, 9 -, X, X, X, 9 /, X, 9 /7.

Things were working well, but I was really battling my Achilles pain.
    X, 5 3, 6 1, X, X, X, X, X, 9 /, 9 /X.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.27 pins
    Strikes: 54%
    Spares: 61% picked up

Single Pin spares: 72% (8/11)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 6-pin, nor 8-pin.

Makeable spares: 66% (8/12)
    Multiple Pin spares: 0% (0/1)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-3-6-9 (1x).

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 203.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 214.67.

The sanded Optimus Solid sanded worked about as well as I thought it would. Actually, better than I thought it would because I under-estimated my ability to make small changes to my game to adapt.

The leg fell apart though. Got a doctor's appointment tomorrow to see what's going on. It's very difficult to make good shots when you can't get any power from your push-off leg.

2 for 5 on corner pins didn't help either...
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    The leg fell apart though. Got a doctor's appointment tomorrow to see what's going on. It's very difficult to make good shots when you can't get any power from your push-off leg.
    I hear ya - having problems with your slide leg is bad too. Good luck with the doc!

Decided to bowl...DESPITE having either a real bad cold, bronchitis, or mild pneumonia. So, not at my best physically. Surprise, surprise.

Week 16

497 Series: 157-160-180

Started out with the Grudge Hybrid. Was having trouble hitting my mark consistently. If I was balanced and my timing was good...and I hit my mark...I actually did quite well. Unfortunately, that was < 50% of the time.
    X, 7 2, 9 -, X, 8 1, X, X, 8 1, X, 8 /,6.

More of the same in Game 2. I knew I needed to make a ball change in the 10th, but wasn't sure if I should ball down to the Optimus Solid or switch to the Fortera Exile. But, I had lost my line and had moved too far inside...out of my comfort zone...so now I was essentially screwed.
    7 2, 8 -, X, X, 8 /, 9 /, 8 /, 7 /, 6 3, 7 / 6.

Decided to use the Fortera Exile. Moved significantly right on the right lane...but tried to stay left on the left lane and play the tighter 3rd arrow line.
    9 /, 9 /, X, 7 /, X, 6 /, X, 7 1, 8 /, 7 /8.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.27 pins
    Strikes: 30%
    Spares: 60% picked up

Single Pin spares: 75% (3/4)
    Most common single-pin leave: n/a
    Left a single 3-pin, 4-pin, 5-pin, and 6-pin.

Makeable spares: 68% (11/16)
    Multiple Pin spares: 66% (8/12)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-8, 3-6-10, 6-10, and 1-2 (2x each).

Splits: 25% (1/4)

Average over 3 games: 165.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 169.33.

This is a continuance of me trying to understand what in God's name Rob is talking about regarding playing in the oil. I mean, I genuinely don't understand.

On the left lane...I moved in to 31-32 (feet) targeting 15-16 and in the second game and started missing right of the head-pin and leave the 1-2-8. But, if I moved right...I'd hit too far inside and leave the 4-pin. So, I ball down to the Fortera Exile and move my feet to 30-31 and my target to 14-15...and move my target in (between the dots and arrows).

Now, IF I throw a PERFECT shot on this line...it strikes....on the left lane. But it's gotta be PERFECT. If I miss 2 boards right...5-pin. If I pull the shot...even 1 board...through the nose and I leave the 6-10. NO ROOM for error playing that line. "But"...I 'did' strike 3 out of 5 times playing that line...AND...they were SOLID strikes. I'm talking 10-in-the-pit.

On the right lane....that same line missed well right and left me a 1-2-8. I tried to move 1:2 right....it left me a 1-2-4-8. I never actually figured out what line to play on that right lane...because I ended up making bad shots near the end of the game and pretty soon the game was over. Maybe it was because my vertical target on the right lane was at the arrows and I needed to move it in (like on the left lane). Maybe I made one too many adjustments right. Maybe I should have brought my target in and made an adjustment left?

All I know is...I watched a guy throw a 270 with a Pyramid Force Gold and my teammate throw a 296...and they both threw up the track all night. So, why am I trying to "get fancy"? Sometimes I'm tempted to get my grandpa's old 1-ball leather bowling bag...put the old Track 300A ball in it...and just throw that weak *** ball up 2nd arrow all night long.

Bowling with pneumonia...and a right Achilles that can only last 1 game with out acting up.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Week 17

551 Series: 146-223 (clean) -182

Started out with the Grudge Hybrid. It seemed clear early on that it wasn't going to be a good choice...but I didn't want to make a premature move so I tried to stick it out for a handful of frames...then switched to the Optimus Solid. Just never found a line that worked. Same problem as usual. Both balls tended to go through the nose...but if I moved inside...both balls would miss well right.
    9 /, 7 2, 7 1, X, 9 /, 8 -, 9 /, X, 9 -, 9 /8.

Switched to the Force Pearl and everything fell into place. Once I made the switch...if I hit my mark, in time, I struck. So, the line and ball suddenly were working.
    X, 8 /, 9 /, X, X, 7 /, X, X, X, 9 /8.

Made the mistake of switching to the Fortera Exile in the 5th frame. I'm not sure if it was a "mistake"...but I thought I needed to also made a slight adjustment right when I made the ball change...which I definitely didn't need to do. By the time I figured that out, the game was over and I had fought my way into a 182.
    X, X, 7 2, X, 7 -, 8 /, X, X, 8 /, 7 /8.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.82 pins
    Strikes: 39%
    Spares: 64% picked up

Single Pin spares: 85% (6/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 6-pin (2x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 3-pin, nor 8-pin.

Makeable spares: 83% (10/12)
    Multiple Pin spares: 80% (4/5)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 20% (1/5)

Average over 3 games: 183.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 187.33.

Not sure why I tend to throw "skid/flip" balls well and have so much trouble throwing other types of balls.

And, bowling balls aside, I'm not sure what is wrong with my game. I'm tempted to video tape my bowling and see if I can send it to my former coaches (who have previous experience with me) and maybe they can see some areas where I've gone off the rails. I'm only hesitating because I have a promising job interview in the first week of January and I may be finally moving back to Michigan. And, I think there's a bowling center with a decent coach that will be near where I'm moving to. So, thats probably preferable to video coaching.

And, as much as I am trying to dance around the 800lb elephant in the room...I'm 1/3 of the way through physical therapy with this leg issue. How much of this struggling is physical? I know one of my open frames was because my left ankle "suddenly hurt". It went away the following frame...but it was one of those "physical ailments". And, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Either I push through with physical therapy and hope this achilles problem gets fixed...or its surgery. And if its surgery...thats months of no weight, no bowling...months and months of physical therapy...and there's no guarantee it won't plague me due to the surgery.

But, I gotta find a way to consistently delver the ball. This 150s, 220s, 180s, 130s, 210s roller coaster is nonsense.
    Last edited by Aslan; 12-22-2021 at 07:49 PM.

Week 18

539 Series: 183-222-134

Started out with the Optimus Solid. It was actually a decent game if it weren't for a terrible shot in the 10th that left me with a 1-2-4 I ended up chopping.
    7 -, 9 /, X, 9 /, X, X, 9 /, 9 /, X, 7 2.

Stuck with the Optimus Solid. Things seemed to be working fine. Had to make a couple adjustments...but things were generally working. Thought about making a ball change in the 9th, but stuck it out until the end.
    X, X, X, 9 -, 9 /, X, X, 9 /, X, X 6 /.

Pretty much everything went wrong at this point. Was missing my mark and not squaring my shoulders. By the time I fixed that, the line was transitioning...which meant I was leaving spares. And, I wasn't picking those spares up...so...not a good combination.
    8 /, 6 3, 7 -, 7 2, 9 /, 9 -, X, 8 -, 9 /, X 6 3.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.81 pins
    Strikes: 40%
    Spares: 52% picked up

Single Pin spares: 80% (8/10)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, nor 4-pin.

Makeable spares: 55% (10/18)
    Multiple Pin spares: 25% (2/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-10 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 179.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 187.33.

The most interesting stat is that, had I made all my single-pin spares, I'd have averaged the same as last week (had I made all my single-pin spares).

The "good news", is my leg (achilles) has now been good for two straight weeks. The issue is still there and I'm only halfway through physical therapy, but this is the first time I've made it two straight weeks with no significant pain.

No bowling next week (holiday break). I have a job interview in a couple weeks that might take me back home to Michigan where I can re-start my coaching and get back on track.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Good luck with both the leg healing and the interview!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Good luck with both the leg healing and the interview!
    The Achilles actually felt great. Not sure if it was the week off or if the physical therapy is helping or both.

As for the interview, I'll be braving the cold weather and highway this morning and the interview is scheduled for tomorrow morning...so we'll see what happens. I'm trying not to get too far ahead of myself. I've been down this path before.

Week 19

496 Series: 166-161-169

Started out with the Optimus Solid, but made the rare move of balling "UP" in the 9th because it seemed like my line was just too far inside for some reason. I had started standing 18-19 and targeting 8-9 just past the arrows...which is NOT an aggressive line by any means. But, I was coming in light shot after shot: 1-2-8, 7-pin, 2-4-5, 2-pin, 2-pin, strike, 1-2-10, 10-pin.
    7 /, 9 /, 7 /, 9 /, 9 /, X, 7 -, 9 -, 8 /, X 7 2.

Unfortunately, things didn't improve much. I think the ball change and move right was the right move...but by the second game, the lanes were starting to transition. Couple that with me just not making good shots and you aren't going to score very high.
    X, 9 -, 6 /, 9 /, X, 9 /, X, 7 2, 8 /, 7 2.

Was tempted to switch to the Fortera Exile at some point, but I stuck it out with the Grudge...mostly out of frustration.
    X, X, 8 1, 7 2, 9 /, 7 2, X, 9 /, 9 -, XXX.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.67 pins
    Strikes: 33%
    Spares: 54% picked up

Single Pin spares: 70% (7/10)
    Most common single-pin leave: 7-pin (5x)
    Also left a single 2-pin (2x), 4-pin (2x), and 10-pin.

Makeable spares: 63% (12/19)
    Multiple Pin spares: 55% (5/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 3-9 and 1-2-10 (2x each)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 165.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 175.00.

Can't blame tonight on health. The achilles was fine. Whatever I once "had", I've lost. I'm now arguably a worse bowler than I was when I got my first ball in 2014 and was able to average in the high 160s.

Week 20

566 Series: 182-170-214

The Grudge Hybrid was finding the pocket pretty good...except for the times when I'd make a terrible shot...which seemed like half the time. Managed to stay mostly clean with the exception of a 2-8-10 split in the 4th. Just never put any strikes together.
    9 /, 8 /, X, 7 -, 9 /, X, 7 /, X, 9 /, X 7 /.

Was tempted to switch balls late in the 1st game...and maybe I should have. But, I held out until the 4th frame of Game 2 before making the move. Too many opens to score well.
    7 /, 6 3, 9 -, 9 /, X, 3 /, X, X, 8 1, 9 / X.

Started really pushing the ball out vertically in Game 3....avoiding making the ball change to the Exile. After a pocket 10 in the 8th, on an otherwise perfect toss, I decided I needed to make the change...but again was hesitant...so I stuck it out with the Optimus Solid. BAD mistake. Received the maximum penalty for that mistake in the 10th with a pocket 8-10 split.
    X, 7 /, X, X, X, X, X, 9 /, 8 1, 8 -.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.72 pins
    Strikes: 43%
    Spares: 66% picked up

Single Pin spares: 85% (6/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 2-pin and 10-pin (2x each)
    Also left a single 4-pin, 6-pin, and 7-pin.

Makeable spares: 73% (11/15)
    Multiple Pin spares: 62% (5/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 33% (1/3)

Average over 3 games: 188.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 192.00.

Achilles felt pretty good. I tried to focus on my push away and my balance. Also noticed that I made much better shots if I made an effort to stay down after releasing the ball (versus popping back up) and keeping that sweep leg on the approach. My one teammate was continually commenting that my strikes were really "loud" tonight...whatever that means.

I think I could have shot better if I had made ball changes when I felt it was needed rather than being timid about it. My bad there.

I informed my team, over a round of shots, that I have 3 more weeks left on the team as I've accepted a position in Michigan. Time to take my bowling career home. I'll be out of bowling for a short time as fall leagues finish up...but that'll give me time to get settled in, get some new equipment, and get some much needed coaching. I'll be within 30 minutes of a PBA level center and at least 2 high quality coaches that I think can get my game back on track.

So, things are looking up. IF the Achilles can stay healthy...AND the knee can stay healthy...AND the new job doesn't work me to death...I'll be making 110% more than I'm making now which will give me the money I need for a new arsenal and the coaching I need to get back to that mid-190s level I was at in 2017.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Glad to hear things are looking up. I wonder if having good news from the job interview put you in a better state of mind to execute good shots.

It’s very hard to stay down when your subconscious thinks it has to protect the knee.
    John

Page 214 of 225 FirstFirst ... 114164204210211212213214215216217218224 ... LastLast