Page 160 of 226 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161162163164170210 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,600 of 2253

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Wednesday League Night: dry synthetics, older brunswick lanes

584 Series: 193 - 206 (clean) - 185

Game 1 I couldn't seem to carry. An open on a single 3-pin in the first frame, a strike in the second frame, then 7 straight 9 /s until I struck out in the 10th.

Game 2 was clean...but could only manage a double.

Started out Game 3 I ran into some split issues. A 5-6-10 in the 4th that I missed...a 5-6 that I was able to convert in the 9th...and a 3-10 baby split in the 10th that I chopped. Again, I could only manage a couple doubles.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.06 pins
    Strikes: 36% (1 turkey, 3 doubles, and 3 singles)
    Spares: 85% picked up

Single Pin spares: 91% (11/12)
    Most common single-pin leave: 3-pin and 10-pin (3x each).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 5-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 75% (6/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 3-6 (3x)

Splits: 33% (1/3)

Average over 3 games: 194.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 198.33.

Again, really dry lanes...playing on the high side of the center. Started out with the Reax Pearl and stayed with it all 3 games. Ended up pretty far inside...outside my comfort zone.

Made some really good shots...took 2 firsts and a second in brackets...paid for the majority of the league night expenses...so I can't complain.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Friday League Night (subbing)
    Older Brunswick synthetics: low-moderate oil

521 Series: 173 - 185 - 163

Game 1 I had some early spare shooting issues due to thumb fit. Struck out in the 10th to salvage the 173.

Game 2 I only had one open frame, a 3-10 baby split in the 5th. Only 3 strikes the entire game.

Game 3 I had four open frames. A missed 9-pin, another 3-10 baby split, and both the 2-8 and 3-9 sleepers. Struck out again to salvage the 163.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.00 pins
    Strikes: 40% (2 turkeys and 8 singles)
    Spares: 61% picked up

Single Pin spares: 78% (11/14)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (8x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 5-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 28% (2/7)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 3-10 baby split (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 173.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 184.67.

Just couldn't seem to carry. Each game I only had a couple strikes...but managed to strike out in the 10th of games 1 and 3. Single pin spare shooting should have been 13/14, but I had too much tape in the hole of the spare ball and missed 2 spare attempts early in Game 1. Once I fixed the tape, I was automatic on corner pins with the spare ball. Shooting the 10-pin 8 times...not sure if I've ever done that before.

The lanes played differently than I expected; probably because of all the rain we had today. And, my physical game was off...some shots looked great...other shots I pulled or was off balance or was too upright...all kinds of issues. I needed to average 186 in order to help this team I was subbing for and I just couldn't seem to hit that number. And, my hopes of being a 200-average bowler...well, I'm down to 196 after my 207 average start to the season. I guess that's 'good news' given I'm one week away from this league average actually counting toward future tournaments and such.
    Last edited by Aslan; 02-18-2017 at 01:03 AM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Older Brunswick synthetics: low-moderate oil

521 Series: 173 - 185 - 163

Game 1 I had some early spare shooting issues due to thumb fit. Struck out in the 10th to salvage the 173.

Game 2 I only had one open frame, a 3-10 baby split in the 5th. Only 3 strikes the entire game.

Game 3 I had four open frames. A missed 9-pin, another 3-10 baby split, and both the 2-8 and 3-9 sleepers. Struck out again to salvage the 163.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.00 pins
    Strikes: 40% (2 turkeys and 8 singles)
    Spares: 61% picked up

Single Pin spares: 78% (11/14)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (8x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 5-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 28% (2/7)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 3-10 baby split (2x)

Average over 3 games: 173.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 184.67.

Just couldn't seem to carry. Each game I only had a couple strikes...but managed to strike out in the 10th of games 1 and 3. Single pin spare shooting should have been 13/14, but I had too much tape in the hole of the spare ball and missed 2 spare attempts early in Game 1. Once I fixed the tape, I was automatic on corner pins with the spare ball. Shooting the 10-pin 8 times...not sure if I've ever done that before.

The lanes played differently than I expected; probably because of all the rain we had today. And, my physical game was off...some shots looked great...other shots I pulled or was off balance or was too upright...all kinds of issues. I needed to average 186 in order to help this team I was subbing for and I just couldn't seem to hit that number. And, my hopes of being a 200-average bowler...well, I'm down to 196 after my 207 average start to the season. I guess that's 'good news' given I'm one week away from this league average actually counting toward future tournaments and such.
    Most of the really good bowlers that I know throw at least one shot a ten pin or a seven pin during warm-ups. The guys and gals who are only good on the THS seem to quickly find the combination of ball and line that gets to the pocket well and then they waste the rest of the time throwing strikes.
    John

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Most of the really good bowlers that I know throw at least one shot a ten pin or a seven pin during warm-ups. The guys and gals who are only good on the THS seem to quickly find the combination of ball and line that gets to the pocket well and then they waste the rest of the time throwing strikes.
    I always throw at least one shot at the 10 in practice. Still manage to miss one here and there. after the past few weeks, it would appear I need to do the same on 7's as well.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    I always throw at least one shot at the 10 in practice. Still manage to miss one here and there. after the past few weeks, it would appear I need to do the same on 7's as well.
    Just in warm ups I have practiced shooting the 10pin over 4000 times right handed. The only time I practice shooting the seven pin in warm ups is when I'm bowling left handed. There is no doubt in my mind as to why I would rather shoot at a ten pin in competition than a seven.
    John

Wednesday League Night: dry synthetics, older brunswick lanes

562 Series: 185 - 156 - 221

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.94 pins
    Strikes: 44% (1 4-bagger, 3 doubles, and 5 singles)
    Spares: 58% picked up

Single Pin spares: 71% (5/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x).
    Also left a single 2-pin, 6-pin, and 7-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (5/10)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 4-7 and 2-8 (2x each)

Average over 3 games: 187.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 194.67.

Again, really dry lanes...playing on the high side of the center. It took me 2 games just to get dialed in and the stats don't lie; my spare shooting was awful.

We took 2.5 points (out of 4), but I'm not used to being the weak link on the team. One more week, then sweeps. I got a tournament this weekend, a lesson next weekend, then it's (probably) one of my last trips to Vegas for sweeps. Both leagues where I'm eligible to bowl sweeps...are at Sam's Town...my first time bowling at that center. So, if RobM or any Vegas guys/gals have any advice on Sam's Town...I'd appreciate it!

Older Brunswick synthetics: low oil synthetics

542 Series: 182 - 201 - 159

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.91 pins
    Strikes: 40% (2 turkeys, 1 double, and 5 singles)
    Spares: 57% picked up

Single Pin spares: 62% (5/8)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (4x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 6-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 54% (6/11)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 6-10 (2x)

Average over 3 games: 180.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 190.00.

Was off my game for some reason. I was supposed to be out of town Thursday and Friday, but weather cancelled my trip. So, I figured I'd sub Friday as a "warm-up" for the OC USBC Open this weekend. Obviously, it wasn't the huge confidence-builder I had hoped.

Scratch Saturday Tournament:
    Older Brunswick synthetics: medium-heavy oil

984 Series: 234-194-175-138-243 (clean)

About 7 months ago, I tried my hand at a 5-game scratch tournament and was rather embarrassed.

Despite not being at the "top" of my game right now, I was on the way back from the OC USBC Open Team Event and saw that this scratch tournament was about to start and decided to try my luck.

What I didn't realize, was:
    1) Due to the high rev players and 5-game format, I confirmed with the maintenance person that they actually increased the volume of oil a great deal.
    2) I would be bowling against some of the best bowlers in the area, including many former PBA regional guys, and, one of my coaches (a current PWBA pro).

I almost asked for my money back...but decided to stick it out and get some practice in...although my expectations of winning were rather slim (to put it lightly).

As is often the case with my game...the tougher the competition and tougher the environment, the more I seem to elevate my game. In game 1, I had the 4th highest score or the field of 29. I moved outside of the 9-board and played out-and-in...something I don't often do anymore. I was a missed 4-pin in the 5th frame away from a clean game.

Game 2 wasn't bad...strikes weren't as plentiful, but I was making my spares. The only open was a a chopped 1-2-10 washout in the 4th frame. I was no longer in the top 6...but I had bowled two games and both times outscored my coach. Despite this feat...I KNEW that I wouldn't be able to count on the experience and consistency that she had...I figured it was only a matter of time before my carriage turned into a pumpkin.

Game 3 was more of the same...struggling to adjust to the heavier oil volumes...unsure whether I was missing right due to playing too aggressive a line...or because my ball was burning up and i needed to move left. A pocket 8-10 in the 4th and a missed single 7-pin in the 9th did me in. I was now about middle-of-the-pack and my coach bowled a 218 to close on me.

Game 4 I finally made a ball change...but the damn Innovate and it's lower differential meant I had to make some additional adjustments. I struck in the 2nd frame...and that was that. I chopped a 3-6, chopped a 2-8 sleeper, chopped a 2-4-8, chopped another 1-2-10 washout, and missed a single 10-pin in the 10th...to finish with the lowest game of the entire field...of the entire tournament...the only participant to shoot below a 140. And my coach...well, she rocked out with a 249 and moved solidly ahead of me in the standings.

Game 5 I gave up on trying to play inside...moved back outside to the track...and just played out and in...like I did in Game 1. My 243 was the second highest score of Game 5 and moved me back to the middle of the field.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.09 pins
    Strikes: 47% (2 5-baggers, 3 doubles, and 10 singles)
    Spares: 60% picked up

Single Pin spares: 81% (13/16)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 6-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 33% (4/12)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-10 washout (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 196.80.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 203.80.

Several months ago, I posted "Okay, note to self, "You're not ready for scratch tournaments.""

While I still think I'm a bit outmatched in this field...at least I can honestly say I'm a better bowler now than I was several months ago.

Am I tired? After 3 games of a mentally challenging OC Open Team Event from 9AM-12PM...then an exhausting 5-game scratch tournament from 12:30PM until 3:30PM? Yes...because I'm old. I had only had a Monster energy drink and about 50 ounces of diet cola...so I scarfed down some chicken tenders from KFC...and will now take a hot bath...and maybe a nap...maybe just an early bedtime...but I am now physically and mentally EXHAUSTED...

OC USBC Open Tournament: low oil synthetics

Day 1
    Team Event:
    571 Series: 210-189-172

Game 1 felt great. Games 2 and 3 I lost my carry. Spare shooting was above average...but only so much you can do when you can't seem to strike.

Day 2
    Doubles Event:
    604 Series: 209-186-209

Same as the day before...good carry in Game 1...above average spare shooting in Game 2...but couldn't seem to carry. Then, I managed to carry again in Game 3. Good enough to win back the $50 I had invested in brackets. I had little chance of winning in the scratch brackets...got paired up against a regional PBA pro once in round 1 and again in round 2.

Singles Event:
    479 Series: 182-172-125

Same as last year (and the year before for that matter). Once the lanes started to breakdown...there's only so far I can move inside before losing my ability to play. When I missed a single 7-pin in the 10th during Game 2...I was just mentally spent. Once again, OC USBC Open, I go in with an inflated average (192) and really have no shot of winning. I was hoping to get some experience...but I bowl at that house once a month when I take lessons...and the THS there plays very much like most OC centers...very dry outside, very low volume in the middle, breaks down quickly, minimal carry-down.

The 125 was probably my most embarrassing game of the past 3 years.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.87 pins
    Strikes: 42% (2 5-baggers, 1 turkey, 6 doubles, 17 singles)

Single Pin spares: 70% (14/20)
    Most common single pin leaves: 2-pin and 10-pin (7x each).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 4-pin, 5-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (16/32)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 3-6 and 6-10 (3x each)

Splits: 0% (0/8)

Average over 9 games: 183.78.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 190.56.

Still have a lot to learn. I just can't seem to move inside of 15 without missing right. And if I stay outside...I either can't stay right when the lanes transition...which they do quickly around here...I either go through the nose or can't carry.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    You asked a while back for high average leagues to watch. Check out the Bud Almost Scratch League on Tuesdays at seven at Southpoint. I have to miss next week for a hospital procedure, but I'll be back the following week. This is the ultimate high average league in Vegas. Hope to see you while you're in town.
    I'll be in Vegas a couple times in March...might be my last trip for some time...as I plan to move to the Midwest in March-May of this year.

Friday March 3rd and Friday March 17th. If either of those work for you...I'd like to take you out for steaks (on me) if you're interested. I'll be staying at Sam's Town both times...not sure if you know of a good steakhouse around there. I've ate at the Silverton and the steakhouse inside the South Point...both were excellent. Not sure if there's something decent near the Sam's Town area or not.

OC USBC Open Tournament: low oil synthetics

Day 1
    Team Event:
    571 Series: 210-189-172

Game 1 felt great. Games 2 and 3 I lost my carry. Spare shooting was above average...but only so much you can do when you can't seem to strike.

Day 2
    Doubles Event:
    604 Series: 209-186-209

Same as the day before...good carry in Game 1...above average spare shooting in Game 2...but couldn't seem to carry. Then, I managed to carry again in Game 3. Good enough to win back the $50 I had invested in brackets. I had little chance of winning in the scratch brackets...got paired up against a regional PBA pro once in round 1 and again in round 2.

Singles Event:
    479 Series: 182-172-125

Same as last year (and the year before for that matter). Once the lanes started to breakdown...there's only so far I can move inside before losing my ability to play. When I missed a single 7-pin in the 10th during Game 2...I was just mentally spent. Once again, OC USBC Open, I go in with an inflated average (192) and really have no shot of winning. I was hoping to get some experience...but I bowl at that house once a month when I take lessons...and the THS there plays very much like most OC centers...very dry outside, very low volume in the middle, breaks down quickly, minimal carry-down.

The 125 was probably my most embarrassing game of the past 3 years.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.87 pins
    Strikes: 42% (2 5-baggers, 1 turkey, 6 doubles, 17 singles)

Single Pin spares: 70% (14/20)
    Most common single pin leaves: 2-pin and 10-pin (7x each).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 4-pin, 5-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (16/32)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 3-6 and 6-10 (3x each)

Splits: 0% (0/8)

Average over 9 games: 183.78.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 190.56.

Still have a lot to learn. I just can't seem to move inside of 15 without missing right. And if I stay outside...I either can't stay right when the lanes transition...which they do quickly around here...I either go through the nose or can't carry.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    You asked a while back for high average leagues to watch. Check out the Bud Almost Scratch League on Tuesdays at seven at Southpoint. I have to miss next week for a hospital procedure, but I'll be back the following week. This is the ultimate high average league in Vegas. Hope to see you while you're in town.
    I'll be in Vegas a couple times in March...might be my last trip for some time...as I plan to move to the Midwest in March-May of this year.

Friday March 3rd and Friday March 17th. If either of those work for you...I'd like to take you out for steaks (on me) if you're interested. I'll be staying at Sam's Town both times...not sure if you know of a good steakhouse around there. I've ate at the Silverton and the steakhouse inside the South Point...both were excellent. Not sure if there's something decent near the Sam's Town area or not.

Page 160 of 226 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161162163164170210 ... LastLast