Page 138 of 226 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148188 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 2253

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Friday Night Practice: older Brunswick synthetics

595 Series: 175-201-219 (clean)

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.88 pins
    Strikes: 44% (6 doubles and 3 singles)
    Spares: 82% picked up

Single Pin spares: 87% (7/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 4-pin and 7-pin (2x each)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 6-pin, and 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 77% (7/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 4-7 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/1).

Average over 3 games: 198.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 202.33.

Mainly practiced out of anger for not being picked up tonight. I guess I wanted to prove the people wrong that decided to pass and take their -30 pin penalty. But, also wanted to practice because I had severe thumb issues on Wednesday, got the thumb hole on my spare ball widened, and wanted to see if the thumb issues were resolved. And...the answer is, "pretty much". I was back to using my usual size VISE insert...and even put some tape in the thumb hole on the spare ball...so I don't why I was so bloated on Wednesday...must have been the fact that I hadn't really eaten that day...maybe I was retaining water or something.

But, with the heat...it was only 98 today...but with 38-55% humidity...so it felt hotter than 98....I was still having some thumb issues. Mainly sweating and having trouble keeping the VISE thumb tape on my thumb. But...much better than Wednesday.

So..the takeaway is...this sub business is for the birds. It's just a popularity contest...and 95% of the teams are too stupid to do simple math...because unless you're talking about a 208 average bowler who was absent...I'd have definitely helped a team tonight. So...*#&$ em.

My old Tuesday team at my old home center wants be to bowl with them again because a guy quit the team rather suddenly. It'll take some time to get used to those conditions again...but at least it'll be a weekly thing rather than a daily popularity contest.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Friday Night Practice: older Brunswick synthetics

595 Series: 175-201-219 (clean)

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.88 pins
    Strikes: 44% (6 doubles and 3 singles)
    Spares: 82% picked up

Single Pin spares: 87% (7/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 4-pin and 7-pin (2x each)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 6-pin, and 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 77% (7/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 4-7 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/1).

Average over 3 games: 198.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 202.33.

Mainly practiced out of anger for not being picked up tonight. I guess I wanted to prove the people wrong that decided to pass and take their -30 pin penalty. But, also wanted to practice because I had severe thumb issues on Wednesday, got the thumb hole on my spare ball widened, and wanted to see if the thumb issues were resolved. And...the answer is, "pretty much". I was back to using my usual size VISE insert...and even put some tape in the thumb hole on the spare ball...so I don't why I was so bloated on Wednesday...must have been the fact that I hadn't really eaten that day...maybe I was retaining water or something.

But, with the heat...it was only 98 today...but with 38-55% humidity...so it felt hotter than 98....I was still having some thumb issues. Mainly sweating and having trouble keeping the VISE thumb tape on my thumb. But...much better than Wednesday.

So..the takeaway is...this sub business is for the birds. It's just a popularity contest...and 95% of the teams are too stupid to do simple math...because unless you're talking about a 208 average bowler who was absent...I'd have definitely helped a team tonight. So...*#&$ em.

My old Tuesday team at my old home center wants be to bowl with them again because a guy quit the team rather suddenly. It'll take some time to get used to those conditions again...but at least it'll be a weekly thing rather than a daily popularity contest.
    Only in So. Cal. is 38-55% humidity considered humid. Try 92 with 90% sometime lol

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Only in So. Cal. is 38-55% humidity considered humid. Try 92 with 90% sometime lol
    I'm pretty sure Nevada, Arizona, and maybe New Mexico would consider 38-55% humid as well.

I suppose next you're going to say -30 degrees is cold.

All us So Cal people could say is... oh, ok, I'll take your word for it.

P.S. I lived in Florida (back when Hurricane Andrew came along)... I know a thing or two about 90+ temp and 90+ humidity.

Unless you live on flat land (rare for West Virginia) you've got plenty of trees around you for shade.

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    I'm pretty sure Nevada, Arizona, and maybe New Mexico would consider 38-55% humid as well.
    Yep, in Phoenix/Scottsdale, it is currently 9am - 97 degrees - 28% humidity - and it feels awful. (Reminds me of being on the Gulf of Mexico in mid-summer-only hotter). Yesterday morning was the same for me as Aslan's Wednesday night. It's such a difference than what we are use to, it really reaks havoc on your bowling - and lane conditions! Although, only a high of 114 expected for today.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Saturday Weekly Color-Pin Tournament:

492 Series: 177-161-154

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 7.91 pins
    Strikes: 25% (3 doubles and 2 singles)
    Spares: 60% picked up

Single Pin spares: 50% (3/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 6-pin and 9-pin (2x each)
    Also left a 2-pin and 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 64% (11/17)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 1-2-4 (3x)

Splits: 0% (0/3).

Average over 3 games: 164.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 174.33.

No sense doing a game-by-game recap. The stats tell the story rather well...inability to strike and abysmal single-pin spare shooting. The only thing worth mentioning is that in Game 3 I had all 3 of the splits including one in the 10th....so the 154 really wasn't 'quite' that bad.

And the struggles on Saturday night continue. The weather didn't help...had to take all my thumb tape out of my spare ball and it was still sticking a bit. Had to again use my largest VISE insert...plus I had to wear the VISE thumb tape to keep my thumb from sticking.

But, it wasn't all weather. The weather screwed up my single-pin spare shooting...but it had less effect on my strike shots. My timing was just messed up...same as last week.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Monday Pre-Lesson Practice: easy THS

704 Series: 159-189-156-200

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.80 pins
    Strikes: 43% (1 5-bagger, 1 turkey, 1 double and 8 singles)
    Spares: 47% picked up

Single Pin spares: 71% (5/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x)
    Also left a single 4-pin, 5-pin, 6-pin, and 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 37% (6/16)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 4-7 (3x)

Splits: 0% (0/6).

Average over 3 games: 176.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 181.75.

Got to the lesson early so I decided to get some practice in and figure the strike line out since I haven't bowled there in 2-3 months. Nothing too noteable, a lot of trouble shooting spares. And a lot of ugly spares since these lanes are a bit wider (THS) than my usual center, but a much drier backend...so I struck a lot on shots that missed right...but went through the nose or hit left of the head-pin when I missed left or pulled it.

Tuesday Night League: Fairly new synthetics, tougher house pattern

My Tuesday league team from my old house/center lost a player and needed someone to fill out their roster so they asked me.

550 Series: 150-192-208

Game 1 I had a few tough multi-pin spares...so a rather lackluster start. But, we won the game.

Game 2 I was doing well...only open was a 4-9 split in the 5th...but mostly spares.

Midway through Game 2 I switched from the Lethal to the Loaded Revolver...and I really started to feel comfortable...also I switched to a bigger VISE insert and I think that mentally allowed me to relax. But, another solid game; the only open was on a terrible attempt to convert a 10-pin in the 8th.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.70 pins
    Strikes: 36% (1 turkey, 2 doubles, and 5 singles)
    Spares: 63% picked up

Single Pin spares: 66% (6/9)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (2x).
    Also left a 3-pin, 4-pin, 6-pin, and 7-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 60% (6/10)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: n/a.

Splits: 50% (1/2)

Average over 3 games: 183.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 191.33.

The team took 3 out of 4 points. This house is tougher...I have to play a much tighter line. Started feeling more comfortable in Game 3. The thumb difficulties continue...had to put away the spare ball early on in Game 3 because it was starting to stick...even with my VISE thumb tape on. But, hooked into the 7-pin with no problem.

I got to start this league with my old 162 average from that house last season. So, that was helpful. Not sure if I keep it for next week or have to use my 183 from today...but it's still better than having to establish or use my 190-192 average.

Older Brunswick synthetics: low-moderate oil

508 Series: 158-165-185

Got asked to sub again on Wednesday...and am still anxious to work on the stuff I learned in my lesson on Monday.

Just miserable spare shooting in Game 1.

I settled down in Game 2 and switched my insert out for the largest size...still having thumb stick issues with this heat wave. Switched from the Lethal to Loaded Revolver midway through Game 2.

Game 3 started with Big 4 in frame 1...but from then on I stayed clean until the 9th frame when my thumb finally swelled enough that my spare ball got stuck on the shot....looks like I'll have to ask the pro shop guy to widen it a little bit more.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.66 pins
    Strikes: 40% (2 turkeys, 1 double, and 6 singles)
    Spares: 50% picked up

Single Pin spares: 62% (5/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x).
    Also left a single 2-pin, 3-pin, 4-pin (2x), and 7-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 41% (5/12)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 2-4-5 (3x)

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 169.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 178.67.

Still battling the heat...the lanes are transitioning faster...gotta play more inside than I'm used to...even though it was nice to leave single-pins instead of so many multiple-pin spares...it still adds up to just having trouble holding the pocket and poor carry. I was surprised the strike rate was even that high. It was frustrating for two reasons...first...many of those single-pin leaves...were great shots. And not quite as frustrating, but to be honest; many of those strikes were really, really weak.

But hey....I got to play...helped the last place team take 3 points (or at least didn't cost them enough to lose any)...lowered my average 4 pins...and if I can sub 3 more times...I'll have 21 games in.

Older Brunswick synthetics: low-moderate oil

484 Series: 133-178-173

Got to sub on Friday again:

Once again, I get brought in after the teams have already started and then need to "catch up"...no practice, no warm-up...nothing. Over the first 9 frames I left a 4-6-10 split, a 3-6-9-10, a 1-2-4-10 washout, and a 1-5-7. In the 10th frame I left a 10-pin...and OF COURSE missed it.

Game 2 I only had two opens; a weird 1-2-7-9 in the 2nd frame and a 3-10 baby split in the 7th frame. But just couldn't seem to get dialed in nor carry.

Game 3 was similar to Game 1; 4 open frames including a missed 3-pin, a 4-9 split, a 1-2-4-8-10, and another 1-2-4-10 washout. The only reason the score is 40 pins higher is I was able to run some strikes together.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.30 pins
    Strikes: 30% (1 turkey, 2 doubles, and 3 singles)
    Spares: 50% picked up

Single Pin spares: 71% (5/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 6-pin (3x).
    Also left a single 3-pin, 7-pin, and a pair of 10-pins.

Multiple Pin spares: 40% (6/15)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 1-2-4-10 washout (3x)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 161.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 168.57.

Glad I got some practice in...but obviously I'm not happy with the performance. Still working on an altered approach that I learned on Monday...and I still had "thumb difficulties" with this friggin weather.

Tuesday Night League: Fairly new synthetics, tougher house pattern

Second night filling in on my old Tuesday team. Now they are down 2 people because one guy is getting divorced from his girlfriend (or something like that) so he has given up bowling...with like 6 weeks left in the summer season.

493 Series: 166-174-153

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.50 pins
    Strikes: 17% (2 doubles and 2 singles)
    Spares: 68% picked up

Single Pin spares: 69% (9/13)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 6-pin (5x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 66% (8/12)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 5-7 split (3x).

Splits: 50% (2/4)

Average over 3 games: 164.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 177.33.

No need for a game-by-game summary. The stats tell the story. I could just never find the strike line. This center plays SO different than my Wednesday/Friday/Saturday center. It plays wider...it seems to have a drier outside and a drier break point. Meanwhile, my usual center plays much narrower...but isn't very 'dry' on the outside or at the breakpoint. So, on Wednesday/Friday/Saturday...I stand about 23-24...aim in the 12-14 area...if my timing is good...I do okay. But on Tuesdays...I can't play inside of 10 or I miss right of the headpin. If I get too close to the 6-board...the ball loses energy and starts the roll phase about 20ft too soon.

So, at this point...my options appear to be:
    1) Find out more details about the patterns so I'm not just guessing.
    2) Get input from the experts on how to attack this different pattern (once I figure out the pattern details).
    3) I might need to increase my speed to get the ball to get further down the lane before it starts to hook.
    4) I might need to move inside and improve my axis tilt/rotation.
    5) I might need to go and get a much weaker ball than I am using...something that won't react too early.

Only positive is I left a 5-7 split 3x and actually picked it up twice...and my strike rate wasn't 'great'...but it was okay given I had to spend SO much time and effort shooting spares.

Page 138 of 226 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148188 ... LastLast