Page 211 of 225 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214215221 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,110 of 2245

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Tuesday Pepsi Master's Trios: THS

Week 16 Final Night

610 Series: 168-122-170-150

A split to start, 2 for 3 on single-pins, and a split in the 10th.
    7 -, 9 /, X, X, 7 /, X, 9 -, 7 /, 9 /, 8 1.

This time I was an impressive 1 for 4 on single-pins. Another open in the 10th.
    X, 7 /, 9 -, 9 -, 9 /, 6 3, 9 -, 8 1, X, 6 -.

And ANOTHER open in the 10th...
    9 /, 8 /, X, X, 6 /, 7 -, X, X, 7 1, 6 3.

And 2 for 4 on single-pins...but at least I finally marked in the 10th!
    X, 7 1, X, X, 9 -, 9 /, 9 -, 9 /, 6 -, 7 / 7.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.41 pins
    Strikes: 25%
    Spares: 42% picked up

Single Pin spares: 50% (6/12)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 4-pin and 10-pin (3x each)
    Never left a single 2-pin, 3-pin, 6-pin (2x), and 7-pin (2x).

Multiple Pin spares: 37% (6/16)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 2-4-5 (3x)

Splits: 20% (1/5)

Average over 4 games: 152.50.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 167.75.

It was hot, humid...my team didn't show up...it was the last night (fun night) so nobody cared...and I just couldn't get anything to work.

I tried to move in and lower my speed...but when I move in...I leave 2-pin combos. This is the frustration that is at the core of my arguments with Rob over progressions and what not. He stubbornly insists that bowlers watch the balls, the reactions, and move inside to take advantage of the oil to attain carry by preserving the power. In other words...not bowling out in that track and having the energy get sucked out of you bowling balls as the balls interact with the lane surface. And I get that...I totally understand the science behind what he is saying.

It's the EXECUTION...it's the "putting into practice" what he preaches...the "pen to paper" where everything falls apart. I can't move in...the bowling balls will leave 2-pin combos. That means they are not aligned with the pocket when you factor in my speed and RPMs. It has nothing to do with humidity, bird migrations, topography, radon, or the mating habits of elmwood beetles. If I move in and am leaving 2-pins...I am too far in for that ball...my hand...my speed.

So, what can I change?
    - Do I have a stronger ball? Nope.
    - Do I have more hand? Nope.
    - Can I slow the ball down? Maybe...if I want to risk screwing up my timing AND lose the only physical advantage I have over the older bowlers; i.e. speed.

Instead, I've tried to "surface my way" to success...thinking maybe if I can drop the surface down...I can move inside and the bowling balls will move early enough to compensate for my speed/hand. Well, that didn't work. Surface is a big factor...but it's not a 2-5 board factor. And to make matters worse...surface actually worsens the problem if you're out in the dry...because it sucks even more energy out of the ball than previously...so you're hitting even weaker than before.

So...I don't know. I'm gonna have to fix the surface on the Optimus Solid...bring it back to 2000 and see if I can slow my feet down. Speed is the only thing I can change if I want to move inside. And this arsenal is garbage playing 5-7. I can't spend the entire fall season shooting 25-35% strikes. If this doesn't get better, I'll need to experiment with unretiring some balls that I know worked well in the past and give up prematurely on these experiments. I hate to give up on balls without a coach looking at my game and agreeing that its the ball and not something I'm doing though. When I gave up on the Asylum and Defiant Edge...I had a coach looking at me throwing those balls and telling me they weren't working for me. Now I don't have that.

I was hoping to head into the fall on a high note...fixing my spare issues...maybe even hit a 190 average. Instead, I'm limping in with a 188 and a sub-50% single-pin spare conversion the last couple games...with an arsenal I have very little confidence in.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Tuesday Men's League: THS

Week 1

569 Series: 211-180-178

Throwing the old Mystic felt good. I was considering starting off with the Optimus Solid...but glad I didn't. Unfortunately, I made a couple bad shots later in the game that killed an otherwise great start to the season. X, X, X, X, X, 8 -, X, 6 /, 9 -, 9 / 9.

Game 2 I stuck with the hot hand, but the lanes were transitioning like mad. I think I ran right into my other players' lines making things even worse.
    8 -, 8 /, 8 /, X, X, 9 /, 8 /, 8 1, X, 8 / X.

Was thinking carry down might start being an issue...besides, it's never a 'bad time' to bring out the red ball of fire. Unfortunately, you need to actually make good shots...and I was bowling like garbage...pulling shots, pushing shots, my thumb sticking...just miserable. Not even the Exile could help me. Thank Christ I only had one open to salvage the 178. 9 /, X, 6 /, 9 /, X, 7 1, 7 /, 3 /, X, 9 / X.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.73 pins
    Strikes: 42%
    Spares: 72% picked up

Single Pin spares: 83% (5/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: n/a.
    Only left a single 3-pin, 7-pin, and 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 66% (8/12)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 (3x)

Splits: 100% (2/2)

Average over 3 games: 189.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 193.33.

Not a bad night, not a good night.

I'm happy that the arsenal looks better than what I was throwing.

However, my execution was off. The Mystic was so good, that I ended up using it for almost all of Game 2 and never got many shots with the Optimus Solid before switching to the Exile. So, no good data on how the new surface on the Optimus is going to work with the Optimus as a "ball down" option...and didn't get to use the Force Pearl at all...which is a bummer because that ball has really worked well for me over the summer.

Don Breeden (PBA50) shot a 300-game to open the season...second time he's done that...he did that last year in this league. And it probably won't be his last one this season...he's good for a couple a year. And, our team...as returning champions...certainly have a target on your backs...so, gonna be an interesting season!
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Week 2

538 Series: 190-181-167

Wasn't making good shots. Switched to the Optimus Solid a little earlier (frame 8) than last week, but it didn't really help. Can't score well if ya can't run strikes together. 6 3, X, X, 7 1, 9 /, X, 7 /, 9 /, X, X 9 /.

After 3 straight weak hits resulting in 9-counts, I decided to give the Force Pearl a try. But, even the Force Pearl was deflecting. I made a good decision to switch to the Exile in the 10th and struck out to salvage the 181. 9 /, 9 /, 9 -, 8 /, 7 2, 9 /, 9 -, 8 /, X, XXX.

Put my faith in the Exile to turn things around, but was just not making good shots. Had a chance to salvage a 200-game if I could strike out again in the 10th, but I left another 10-pin and missed it for the 3rd time that evening. 8 /, 9 /, 7 /, X, 6 3, 9 /, 7 2, X, X, 9 -.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.79 pins
    Strikes: 36%
    Spares: 61% picked up

Single Pin spares: 72% (8/11)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin.
    Also left a single 3-pin (2x), 4-pin, and 5-pin (2x).

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (5/10)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 25% (1/4)

Average over 3 games: 179.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 190.00.

CAN'T go 50% on 10-pins!! CANNOT...go 50% on 10-pins!!

That is ridiculous!

County Wide Boys: THS
    New Synthetic Over Old Wood Lanes

476 Series: 187-134-155

Was hoping to sub in this league this fall. Was surprised to get a call on opening night. This is a unique house. It's a 12-lane center, so rather small for what I'm used to. The scoring equipment is very old and the cameras don't work very well. It was wood lanes right up until recently (this summer) when they put synthetics over the wood lanes. The pins seem 'old' so they carry "funny".

I always seem to bowl better when I sub...because I feel "obligated" to bowl better when I'm essentially being relied on to help a team out. Plus, you want to impress that team and other teams so they'll ask you to sub for them in the future.

Game 1, I felt great up until the 8th frame. Then, I lost my line. And, I couldn't get that line back until about the 5th frame of Game 2.
    X, X, 7 /, X, X, X, 8 /, 8 - 5 2, 9 -.

Switched to the Optimus Solid because my move inside with the Aura Mystic was leaving me weak hits...but I moved right to adjust for the difference (usual) between the two balls. Well, that move I estimated to be a 2:4 right and it really just needed to be a 1-board targeting change. But, it took me 4 frames to figure that out. By the time I figured it out, the lanes were transitioning and I had run into my partners' tracks. 9 /, 8 -, 3 5, 6 2, X, 9 /, 9 /, 9 /, 7 1, 5 4.

Switched to the Fortera Exile in the 2nd frame. Had to REALLY move inside. I was playing 17 and standing about 29...whcih is a really, really tight line for me. Not much room for error. 9 -, 8 /, 7 /, 7 2, 7 /, X, 8 /, X, 9 -, 6 / 5.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.00 pins
    Strikes: 25%
    Spares: 50% picked up

Single Pin spares: 57% (4/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 9-pin (3x)
    Also left single 3-pin, 4-pin, and 10-pin (2x).

Multiple Pin spares: 46% (7/15)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-4 and 6-9-10 (2x each).

Average over 3 games: 158.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 168.00.

It was a disappointing night...from a score standpoint. But, I was asked to sub for the team the week after next so hopefully I can get things figured out.

Need to find my line, need to figure out my adjustments, and I MUST be able to pick up a 10-pin. Was 0-2 tonight and 0-3 on corner pins. Gotta figure that out or I'm gonna have no choice but to get coaching. I can't be a sub-75% single-pin spare shooter.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

Need to find my line, need to figure out my adjustments, and I MUST be able to pick up a 10-pin. Was 0-2 tonight and 0-3 on corner pins. Gotta figure that out or I'm gonna have no choice but to get coaching. I can't be a sub-75% single-pin spare shooter.
    Do you have the time/money to practice? I know I don’t have to tell you there’s a huge difference between practicing and just bowling a lot of games. If you can get some practice in here are some of my thoughts on spare shooting.

Figure out a system that works for you, and then write it down.

On corner pins it looks really cool to pick just the ten or the seven off the rack. Your system, assuming it involves throwing straight at the corners, should not result in a clean pick on a perfect shot. If you hit your target practicing with a full set of pins the ball should catch a piece of the 6 pin or the four pin when you roll over your target. Gives you a bit of room to miss right without going in the gutter.

I like Low Ball for practicing corners but given that I’m trying to clip the 6 or 4 each time I’m shooting for a score of about 60.

I also like the 5 ball drill. This gives you at least 80% spare shooting and rewards you with a chance to throw a strike every time you successfully complete the first 4 shots.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Do you have the time/money to practice? I know I don’t have to tell you there’s a huge difference between practicing and just bowling a lot of games. If you can get some practice in here are some of my thoughts on spare shooting.
    Usually, if I'm having a bad 3-4 weeks of single-pin spare shooting...I'll reserve time after the night is over to practice. And I also usually play low-ball...just purely trying to hit those corner pins.

My "plan" is fine...it's my execution. It's kinda like when you hit a golf ball and it flies over into the woods and the people you are golfing with say, "you actually hit it exactly where you were aiming." It's the same thing with my single-pins. All I need to do is throw the ball straight at the pin. The ball isn't moving and pin isn't moving. Either I miss my target due to bad concentration or I hit my target and still miss because I'm "lined up wrong". Usually it's the second one.

I tend to miss inside...which makes me think that I am lining up right but then squaring my shoulders at the foul line. So, I'm walking towards the target...everything is lined up...and then just as I throw...I'm turning my shoulders. The other likely scenario is that I am lined up wrong. So, I'm throwing it straight...hitting my target...but my line is off and I don't realize it. That used to happen quite a bit when I was receiving coaching. My coach would have to "correct" my line even though I thought I was lined up properly.

And it's REALLY frustrating...because I REALLY worked on this over the summer and had a >5% improvement in single-pin conversion % over the summer.

Week 3

565 Series: 183-193-189

Same as last week and the week before. Started out with the Aura Mystic....switched to the Optimus Solid...but couldn't run any strikes together. Only opens were on splits...including the pocket 8-10 split that forced me to make the ball change. X, X, 9 /, X, 8 1, 8 -, X, 9 /, 8 /, X 9 /.

More of the same. I kept things clean, but couldn't carry. Only open was a missed 6-10 in the 6th frame. After moving left and leaving a 2-4-7, I decided it was time to pull out the Exile. X, X, 8 /, 9 /, 8 -, 7 /, 6 /, X, X 7 2.

A lot more carry with the Exile, but I opened the game with two splits and missed a 6-pin in the 5th to really put a wet blanket on the scoring.
    8 -, 7 -, X, X, 9 -, 9 /, X, X, X, 7 / 9.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.88 pins
    Strikes: 42%
    Spares: 61% picked up

Single Pin spares: 83% (5/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 3-pin and 6-pin (2x each).
    Also left a single 2-pin and 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 83% (5/6)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Average over 3 games: 188.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 192.00.

Take out my high and low game from the past 9 games to start the season and my seven games would all fall in the range of 178 to 193. I actually bowled better than usual because we were bowling the PBA50 pro and his team...and I usually bowl "up" to my competition. Just can't run those strikes together like you need to in order to get in the 200s.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Usually, if I'm having a bad 3-4 weeks of single-pin spare shooting...I'll reserve time after the night is over to practice. And I also usually play low-ball...just purely trying to hit those corner pins.

My "plan" is fine...it's my execution. It's kinda like when you hit a golf ball and it flies over into the woods and the people you are golfing with say, "you actually hit it exactly where you were aiming." It's the same thing with my single-pins. All I need to do is throw the ball straight at the pin. The ball isn't moving and pin isn't moving. Either I miss my target due to bad concentration or I hit my target and still miss because I'm "lined up wrong". Usually it's the second one.

I tend to miss inside...which makes me think that I am lining up right but then squaring my shoulders at the foul line. So, I'm walking towards the target...everything is lined up...and then just as I throw...I'm turning my shoulders. The other likely scenario is that I am lined up wrong. So, I'm throwing it straight...hitting my target...but my line is off and I don't realize it. That used to happen quite a bit when I was receiving coaching. My coach would have to "correct" my line even though I thought I was lined up properly.

And it's REALLY frustrating...because I REALLY worked on this over the summer and had a >5% improvement in single-pin conversion % over the summer..
    I would say that if if you are hitting your target and missing your single pin spares it’s the system.

However if it’s sort of random, sometimes it hits the pin - sometimes it doesn’t, there’s a fundamental flaw in your technique. It’s quite possible you are not sliding in the same place for each spare.

On the misses that you know were caused by missing your target to the inside there are a couple of possibilities. With me the most common cause is my feet getting ahead of the swing, I then try to force the swing to catch up. The result is never pretty. The other possibility is with the swing itself. We’ve had a number of kids who hold the ball too close to their center rather than being in line with their shoulder.

My suggestion for your next practice session is to write down where your slide foot winds up for every shot.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    My suggestion for your next practice session is to write down where your slide foot winds up for every shot.
    I'll have to remember to do that. Thanks.

Week 4

552 Series: 189 (clean)-160-203

Had to start with the Optimus Solid due to the Aura Mystic being cracked when I opened my bag. That meant some adjustments early on that I wasn't planning on.
    X, 7 /, 8 /, 9 /, 8 /, X, 9 /, X, 9 /, 8 / 6.

Stuck with the Optimus Solid hoping I could see a bit more carry if my shots got a little better and I started to move inside a little. Unfortunately, the "cues" to move left usually result in some bad leaves. Couple that with my spare shooting failing me temporarily...and no bueno.
    7 2, X, 9 -, X, 8 1, X, X, 8 1, 9 /, 9 / X.

Probably stayed with the Optimus a 'bit' too long, but finally made the move to the Fortera Exile in frame 3. A 1-2-9 washout in the 4th and 3-10 baby split in the 10th were my only opens.
    9 /, 9 /, X, 7 2, 7 /, X, X, X, X, 8 1.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.88 pins
    Strikes: 40%
    Spares: 66% picked up

Single Pin spares: 87% (7/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 7-pin (5x)
    Also left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, and 10-pin.

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 184.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 188.00.

Felt good about Games 1 and 3. My spare shooting was above-average in Game 1 and I ran some strikes together in Game 3. Unfortunately, my inability to run many strikes together means I can't afford a 160-game. Any opens just kill ya when you're not carrying.

Have to come up with a new plan for Thursday after the loss of the Aura Mystic...but thats for another thread...

The team I bowled for a couple weeks ago asked me to sub for them again.

535 Series: 157-179-199 (clean)

Very difficult first game as I tried to find a line with the Grudge Hybrid with the polished surface.
    9 /, 7 /, 6 3, 9 /, 7 /, X, X, 9 /, 5 2, 7 -.

Switched to the Optimus Solid in the 3rd frame and opened my angle up a little. X, 6 -, 7 2, X, X, 9 /, X, 8 /, 9 /, X 9 /.

Switched to the Fortera Exile in the 4th frame. 8 /, X, 9 /, 8 /, 8 /, 9 /, 7 /, X, X, 7 / X.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.53 pins
    Strikes: 34%
    Spares: 76% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (8/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x)
    Also left single 4-pin (2x), 6-pin (2x), and 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 61% (8/13)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-8 and 6-9-10 (2x each).

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 178.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: n/a

I 'was' a little disappointed that I couldn't get a good line going with the Grudge Hybrid. But, I always say that if I go 100% on single-pin conversions...it's a good night...so I'm going to say it was a good night despite the struggles with carry.

Week 5

652 Series: 226-222-204

Started out with the Grudge Hybrid with the new polished surface. Moved out about 1:2 right of normal to the 7-8 board after what I saw last Thursday. The 1:2 move right probably cost me a strike in frame 2 and should have only been about a 0:1 move right to strike in frame 1. The lanes started to transition in the 7th, but I made the adjustment and everything looked good from there on out.
    9 -, 9 /, X, X, X, X 7 -, X, X, X X 6.

Made the move to the Optimus Solid in Frame 3. Struck on all 5 shots...but, the first couple were Brooklyn and the last two were extremely weak. So, I switched to the Exile in the 9th frame.
    8 /, X, 6 1, X, X, X, X, X, 9 /, X 8 1.

Lanes were transitioning...but I was doing a decent job of staying ahead of things.
    X, X, 8 /, X, 9 -, X, 8 1, 6 /, X, X X X.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.23 pins
    Strikes: 65%
    Spares: 45% picked up

Single Pin spares: 50% (2/4)
    Most common single-pin leave: n/a
    Also left a single 4-pin, 6-pin, 9-pin, and 10-pin.

Average over 3 games: 217.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 224.67.

I told myself last week that from here on out...I was playing to win. So, from here on out...nothing but HIGH SCORES!!!

Really wanted a 700 series. But, it's kinda like me and golf. It usually takes me 3 shots to get to the fringe...then I need a 35 foot chip for par or a 25 foot putt for par. I never put myself in position where par is very realistic. Needing a 252 game isn't very "realistic". Even had I kept things clean I wouldn't have made it out of the 220s.
    Last edited by Aslan; 09-23-2021 at 12:08 PM.

Page 211 of 225 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214215221 ... LastLast