Page 57 of 226 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Thursday Practice: medium-heavy oil synthetics

Warm-Up Game: 176
    Wasn't trying too hard...just warming up and looking at a couple different lines.

552 Series: 209-174-169
    Game 1 I only opened on a 1-2 leave in the 2nd. Hit the pocket well...only a couple washouts and I actually picked up the 1-2-4-10. Game 2 I had a couple missed single 6-pins; otherwise clean. Again, a couple washouts...still found the pocket okay...but less carry than game 1. Game 3 I left a 1-2-4-8-10 washout in the 2nd that I couldn't convert...then chopped a 3-5-6 in the 8th...otherwise clean.

556 Series: 179-179-198
    Game 4 was okay; but missed a couple single-pin corner spares. Score would have been higher but my only other open was a chopped 2-5 in the 10th. Game 5 I opened on a 1-2-5-7-9 in the 1sr frame and then a 6-7 split in the 3rd...otherwise clean and was hitting the pocket really well...just not much carry. Game 6 my only open was on a 1-2-7 washout in the 9th.

On a league night...I might see that 179-179 and start thinking about perhaps playing for a triplicate...especially when I'm staring at a 179 after an open 9th. All I would have had to do is gutter twice in the 10th for 179-179-179. But in practice who cares? Besides...I don't think thats in the "spirit" of the triplicate...to essentially take a dive in the 10th just to acheive it.

570 Series: 187-199-184
    Game 7 was my best game in terms of hitting the pocket. Only missed the pocket twice. Just missed a single 4-pin in the 1st and chopped a 2-4-5-7-8 in the 8th; otherwise clean. Game 8 was my WORST game in terms of hitting the pocket...only 3 times...but I kept things clean until a chopped 1-2-4 in the 10th. Game 9 I still wasn't hitting the pocket very well, but managed to strike enough to keep the score respectable despite 3 open frames.

543 Series: 202-167-174
    Game 10 was clean except for a missed single 6-pin in the 6th frame followed by a 4-6 split in the 7th and was making it to the pocket well. Game 11 was a few open frames including a missed single 10-pin. Game 12 was okay until the last few frames when I chopped a 1-2-4, then chopped a 2-7-8 split in the 9th, then couldn't convert the 9-10 split in the 10th.

Arguably Useful Statistics:
    First Ball Average: 8.83 pins
    Strikes: 39% (7 turkeys, 9 doubles and 17 singles)
    Spares: 62% picked up

Single Pin spares: 71% (27/38)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (11x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 53% (22/41)
    Most common multi-pin spare leaves: 1-2-4 (5x).

Splits: 25% (2/8)

Pocket Percentage: 56%
    Pocket Carry: 70%
    Double Percentage: 35%

Average over 13 games: 184.38.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 192.62.

While statistically I was disappointed in the single-pin spare shooting and the lack of games in the 210-250 range...I really like:
    1) Every game was above my current average.
    2) The pocket percentage was improved.

I'm continuing to work on my pushaway/first step. Continuing to try and stay fluid (not step, then pause, then step, etc...) without rushing my feet. Still trying to get lower...both in the knees and bending over. And still working on a more relaxed shot...slow it down...easy release without grasping it.

Still working on thumb fit...as my release gets "better"...and the thumb comes out better...I have to keep adding tape or getting smaller inserts. If I don't...I've had problems where I just'll drop it and thats where I end up with the really bad first shots where I get a 3-count or 5-count on the first ball.

Going to change my lines a bit...I feel like as I'm getting better...my arm swing is getting closer and closer to by slide foot. That has led to some lines where I feel like I'm throwing across my body (because my left foot is too close to my target) and that leads me to drift left to try and compensate. So I'm gonna try and give myself a 4-board cushion from my left foot to my target board....which is a lot less than what I used to do...but hopefully enough room that it doesn't make me want to drift left.

Need to work on the single-pin spares some more...I can't settle for anything less than 80% until I get to the point where I strike more than 35% consistently. And I'm kinda mixed on the consistency issue. I like that the scores were relatively consistent...hopefully that is evidence that my approach and release and timing are getting more consistent...but I'm also a bit frustrated that maybe I've hit a ceiling of some kind and all I'll ever be is a 180s average bowler at best.
    Last edited by Aslan; 03-04-2015 at 02:16 PM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

Pretty nice set of games their Aslan keep it up! By the way being a 180 average bowler is much better than being a 150-160 average bowler where you were for a while.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I saw your post the other day talking about your foot position and target board. I refrained from comment because i get you want to do your own thing and learn from your experiences. But you made a very good point and i think you are really on to something in relation to your drifting and throwing across your body. I do think it is beneficial to drift at least a little, i like to consistently drift about 2 boards and use shoulder positions at set up to see my angles the right way. You mentioned 4 boards at set up difference between i'm assuming the middle of your left foot and target board with your eyes. That would be impossible to hit walking straight and not play down and in or pulling the ball. Your mind and body because of hand eye coordination makes you drift to compensate for that. Next time you go bowling stand on the approach with your target foot on whatever board and lay the ball next to your ankle at whatever distance right you think it passes. You should be able to see it pretty closely by watching one of your videos. You will see the middle of the ball is going to be i'm guessing for you 7-8 boards. If i'm trying to play pretty straight my my buffer is never less than 6 boards and that is really rare for me to do that and factoring in 2 boards of drift. Generally i like the look of 8-8 1/2 boards on a normal house shot which makes me feel confident with my swing plain. It is all about making that angle in front look comfortable and fit your eye. It is going to make it much easier to keep that elbow inside if you are directing your pushaway towards a target a little farther right. Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by fortheloveofbowling; 03-01-2015 at 03:56 PM.

@ftlob-

Yeah. Initially I measured the difference between my swing plane and my left starting foot...and it was about 10 boards. On drier conditions...I might target a spot 14-16 boards right of my plant/slide foot. On slicker/heavier conditions...that might shrink to 8-10 (essentially straight at the target from laydown).

As I've been improving my approach, timing, release...I find that I'm releasing the ball much closer to where my plant/slide foot is. On a couple occasions I've even hit myself in the inner part of the leg during the swing because I'm THAT close to my slide/plant foot. So NOW, I can't target 10 boards out unless the lanes are really dry. Now I'm targeting more like 2-6 boards right of my slide/plant foot.

I think this is also why I'm still missing right a lot. I'm still trying to hit a target that is too far right of my laydown spot...too far for my low rev rate. And it's also why I'm struggling with consistency and will sometimes miss way left. Because, if I don't release it close to my foot...if I don't get low and revert back to my old lofty ways...I'm then throwing at a target inside my swing plane...which will always pull the ball left.

I think one thing I need to work on, in addition to Rob's advice about keeping my arm behind the ball...is to keep the ball under my head...in line with my head. I know thats a big part of Mark Baker's program. But if my head is in line with the ball...and the ball is swinging 5" right of my slide foot...then I should be in a good position.

I agree that a little, consistent drift isn't necessarily a bad thing. But I only feel that way if it's very consistent and just part of your approach. As soo as people start drifting when they don't normally...there's usually "off" that they are compensating for. For me...it's targeting inside my swing plane. My mind is able to see that target...and while I'm stepping...is making an educated guess that if I don't move left...we'll be throwing the ball directly at the 4-pin...so my feet adjust left to compensate. Just like we subconsciously may stop/start during our approach...slow/speed up....etc... Sometimes our mind knows that the ball isn't where it's supposed to be relative to the foul line...and it makes the adjustments subconsciously.

Since drift isn't something I usually have in my approach...then I should probably fix it. Given my struggles right now...I certainly don't need another variable (drift) to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    but I'm also a bit frustrated that maybe I've hit a ceiling of some kind and all I'll ever be is a 180s average bowler at best.
    Wait Wait Wait.... you are frustrated you think you've peaked with a 180 avg?? I thought you averaged in the 150's/160's?? I have been following your Pinpal statistics for well over a year now. This may be one of your most consistent 13 game sessions I have seen you post! I am not being harsh, but usually there are many 130's, 140's and 150's in there. I would think you would be ecstatic. Furthermore, I could also understand if you have been averaging a 184 for the past few years. Then one needs to question why they are not improving and can "hit a ceiling". This was one session...greatly above your average, and you are questioning if you've maxed out?? Wow. This would be like a 200 avg bowler, rolling a 700 series and saying, "Well, I guess I've maxed out at a 233 Avg." No, that is NOT there average and I'd bet they'd be pretty happy rolling this series (if for at least one day). First, I would say..... Let's try to maintain that 180's average, huh?

Like I said, I've read you for awhile and know how you've dedicated yourself to this sport. I do admire that and your writing style. You should be celebrating your improvements not questioning it. It's still a mystery to me how your mind works Aslan.
    Last edited by bubba809; 03-03-2015 at 01:32 PM.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by bubba809 View Post
    Wait Wait Wait.... you are frustrated you think you've peaked with a 180 avg?? I thought you averaged in the 150's/160's?? I have been following your Pinpal statistics for well over a year now. This may be one of your most consistent 13 game sessions I have seen you post! I am not being harsh, but usually there are many 130's, 140's and 150's in there. I would think you would be ecstatic. Furthermore, I could also understand if you have been averaging a 184 for the past few years. Then one needs to question why they are not improving and can "hit a ceiling". This was one session...greatly above your average, and you are questioning if you've maxed out?? Wow. This would be like a 200 avg bowler, rolling a 700 series and saying, "Well, I guess I've maxed out at a 233 Avg." No, that is NOT there average and I'd bet they'd be pretty happy rolling this series (if for at least one day). First, I would say..... Let's try to maintain that 180's average, huh?

Like I said, I've read you for awhile and know how you've dedicated yourself to this sport. I do admire that and your writing style. You should be celebrating your improvements not questioning it. It's still a mystery to me how your mind works Aslan.
    Have to agree Bubba.

Aslan, you have made some really good progress with your game, to quit now, since you think you may have hit a plateau, would certainly be very early in your bowling "career". You have a ways to go, but don't give up. You have shown that with hard work you can get that improvement. Keep at it and maintain now, then add some more to you get that increase in. Not going to happen over night as you have experienced.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Apparently Bubba and VDub are more "glass is half full" types.

But thanks for the encouragement.

I was certainly happy with that practice and how every game was above my average. And patience has never been one of my strong points.

I guess I was more frustrated with the "background" and not the "scores". Since it's practice...everyone tells me to ignore the scores anyways...and they're right...I just keep track of the scores because it's automatically kept track of when keeping track of more useful data. I was more frustrated with primarily 2 things:

1) My single pin spare shooting was a little off. It's probably the biggest focal point of mine now and lately.

2) I'm still wrestling with the concept of a "more relaxed shot".

Everyone keeps telling me I need to relax and not try so hard and that I don't need muscle or speed, etc... And my coach...it seems like every time I "drop" the ball...according to the coach "that was a good shot". And I've even seen more rpms come from a more relaxed shot. So, there's something to the idea for certain. But it's very difficult to "try and relax".

Also, I'm experimenting with getting low, and trying to have that more protypical style that most high level bowlers have nowadays....BUT...I seem to perform better when I emulate a style like Mika or Earl Anthony...a very relaxed, precsision-based style.

And also my release...trying to get to more of a "Tweener" release where maybe on favorable conditions I can start opening up the lanes a bit rather than playing between the 5-12 boards every night. And I don't want to wear the wrist brace...even though my team is a big fan of it...but I still haven't got that good release with the right amount of axis tilt, axis rotation, and staying behind the ball.

So yes...I'm happy with the practice...I am pleased to see the pocket % number moving up a bit...and consequently the strike rate up slightly. I think I'll be a better and happier bowler (and community/forum member) once I start hitting the pocket consistently and striking in the 40-45% range. Those of you with higher averages and strike rates have no idea how hard bowling can be if you only strike 10-20%. If I have a game of all spares and a strike...clean game...I've thrown the ball 20 times and scored a 186. In contrast...a thumbless bowler steps up...and despite their muscling and weird timing/approach...and all the "fundamentals issues"...and their inability to pick up even single-pin spares...a couple open frames....they score a 233 and only threw the ball 14 times. So imagine...at the end of the night...the physical and MENTAL exhaustion of having to throw the ball 60 times during league play AND if you're not PERFECT....in every single spare opportunity...your 186 games quickly become 165...155.

Got my results for the OC USBC Open:

- Doubles 78th
    - Singles 108th (of 298)

My doubles partner got 29th in singles which was pretty good. It was just something to try for fun so the goal for next year will be to do a little better...maybe even find a couple more interested parties so we can do the team event as well.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Weekday Practice: AMF Carter Lanes: heavy oil synthetics

I threw 4 games while waiting for a league meeting to start. I didn't have my equipment so I just threw the urethane ball I keep in my trunk…conventional drilled…14lber.

Hit the pocket 7 or 8 out of 10 frames. But when I left 2 or more pins…I couldn't convert.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.60 pins
    Strikes: 10% (1 single)
    Spares: 65% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (6/6)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 4-pin and 10-pin (2x each).
    Only left the 4, 5, 7, and 10-pins.

Multiple Pin spares: 0% (0/3)
    Most common multi-pin spare leaves: n/a.

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 1 game: n/a
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: n/a

I like the single-pin spare shooting. Not too concerned about the rest since I wasn't throwing my usual equipment. It'll be interesting to see if my average differs in this new center. I'll still be in the league at my other center…I just wanted to give another center a try. And while it's too early to really make a decision…I must say some of the building improvements this AMF house has made recently..WOW. The outside of the building is all re-painted and has neon lights. They re-did alot of the interior as well.

Thursday Practice: medium oil synthetics

Warm-Up Game: 167
    Wasn't trying too hard...just warming up and looking at a couple different lines.

573 Series: 187-186-200
    Game 1 I had a couple opens but good carry. Game 2 I only opened on a 1-2-4-8-10 washout in the first…clean the rest of the way but not much carry. Game 3 was clean except for a chopped 2-4-5 in the 9th.

467 Series: 140-176-151
    Games 4 and 5 I lost the pocket…but I managed to strike more in Game 5. Found the pocket in Game 6 but after being perfect on single-pin spares through warm-up and 5 games…I managed to miss 3 in the final game.

Arguably Useful Statistics:
    First Ball Average: 8.49 pins
    Strikes: 33% (2 turkeys, 4 doubles and 11 singles)
    Spares: 60% picked up

Single Pin spares: 80% (12/15)
    Most common single-pin leave: 7-pin (6x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 6-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 51% (17/33)
    Most common multi-pin spare leaves: 1-2 (3x).

Splits: 33% (2/6)

Pocket Percentage: 58%
    Pocket Carry: 56%
    Double Percentage: 28%

Average over 7 games: 172.43.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 177.29.

Kind've a bummer after last week's practice. The two games below my average were disappointing. And despite being automatic on single-pin spares for 6 games…missed 3 in Game 7. But…not terrible. Worked on my push away and staying low. Worked on a more relaxed release. Still struggling with timing/consistency though. Seems like my feet were fast…but then when I tried to slow them down…seemed like it wasn't fluid. Also was experimenting with varying different amounts of forward tilt.

Sunday Practice: AMF Carter Lanes: low oil synthetics

Was kinda bored after watching some disappointing hockey, so I decided to go practice. I'm joining a 2nd league next season and it's at a different center. I wanted to get exposure to more than one environment and haven't found a travel team yet…so I joined a league at a nearby center. Thought I'd go there and get some practice…see if the lane conditions were drastically different.

Warm-Up Game: 212
    Once I got dialed in, I struck out with a 5-bagger.

550 Series: 234-168-148
    Continued to pound the pocket and strike in the first game. Game 2 I lost the pocket a bit. And Game 3 it felt like I couldn't get the pocket back so I balled down to the Rhythm…but had to make a couple adjustments before I could find both the pocket and the carry.

689 Series: 300-176-213
    !!!

Really?!

Yes kids and ladies…Aslan has finally done it. Finally, Iceman's gift has wore off on him. I must say…it really didn't occur to me that I'd be throwing a perfect game until after the 4th frame…which was my only non-pocket strike. But even after the first 8…I was pessimistically thinking that I'd eventually leave a 7-pin or a 10-pin. Game 5 I had to make a ball change early…and that was just not working. Neither Encounter would stay right of the headpin. I finally was able to find the pocket with the Slingshot to finish strong in Gamea 5 and 6. Game 6 was quite strong, but I left a 6-7-10 in the 10th.

Marginally Interesting/Useful Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.15 pins
    Strikes: 60% (12-bagger, 6-bagger, 5-bagger, 3 turkeys, 5 doubles, and 6 singles)
    Spares: 48% picked up

Single Pin spares: 76% (10/13)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (6x).
    Never left a non-corner-pin spare.

Multiple Pin spares: 27% (5/18)
    Most common multi-pin spare leaves: 3-10 split (3x).

Splits: 14% (1/7)

Pocket Percentage: 70%
    Pocket Carry: 85%
    Double Percentage: 56%

Average over 7 games: 207.29.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 211.71.

Spare shooting was a bit off, but I found the pocket and I struck.

So…not sure if I wanna further re-cap here…nah…I think I'll start an "Iceman-esque" thread thats a little more entertaining to do justice to THIS topic!!

Page 57 of 226 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast