Page 153 of 226 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163203 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 2253

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Okay, let me set a few things straight. First, I don't have unlimited access to bowling balls. I pay for bowling balls like everyone else. I keep a PBA membership despite the fact that I am no longer physically capable of being competitive for the simple reason that for my $25 monthly dues, I am able to purchase new release balls at a discount and get them prior to their public release date. My arsenal is currently comprised of six balls, four of which go with me to any one of the six or seven centers where I occasionally bowl. If I only bowled in one center, I would have a three ball arsenal that would go with me all of the time.

If that were the case (bowling in one center exclusively), I would still have a three ball arsenal that would give me the widest range of reactions possible. It is not possible to "know" what ball you are going to start with and what line you are going to play. The factors that will tell you how to play the lanes include the oil pattern used (only a fool assumes that it will be the same as last week), the brand of oil used (ditto), the weather, the topography of the particular lanes on which you are to bowl, who has bowled on the lanes before you (if the lanes are not freshly oiled), and who is bowling on the lanes with you. Given all of these variables, why would I possible bring three balls with similar RG's? Personally, I only use two layouts; and tend towards balls with solid covers simply because I have no problem changing the surfaces during practice when the situation warrants it. Right now, for a three ball arsenal to bowl at most of the centers where I frequent, I would take the Storm Code Black (RG 2.51 asymmetrical), the Storm Rocket Ship (RG 2.54 symmetrical), and the Brunswick Fanatic BTU (RG 2.51, symmetrical). In fact, today I am bowling in a "Double Trouble" Tournament using a 45' sport pattern on one lane and a 35' sport pattern on the other lane. I am still taking these same three balls, and adding a Storm Phase II (RG 2.48 symmetrical), and a Storm Fight (RG 2.61 symmetrical).

If you can just get rid of your preconceptions about how you are going to play the lanes and trust your ability to listen to what the lanes are telling you, you don't need a ton of bowling balls; just a range of balls that give you a range of reactions with which to work.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Because you are Rob have conspired with Iceman to ruin my bowling game

It's like a bowling version of The Twilight Zone.
    lol I did live in Missouri for a while and will be going back for Christmas.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Actually I understand what you were trying to do with the Arsenal. You were trying to give yourself multiple looks with different balls in your comfort zone. Unfortunately we can't always stay in our comfort zone. You have to go to where the lanes are one getting to the pocket and two carrying.

My balls aren't free either. I typically drill 2-3 a year. I make mistakes with balls too I don't remember the last time I used the virtual gravity. It just doesn't match up to me. I'll save it for one of the kids when they move up to 15 lbs.

I highly doubt they are only oiling 15-25. Could be they didn't oil at all could be the pattern is much shorter than you are used too. One of my houses has an oil machine from 1992 (I actually asked the other day). You really never know what it's putting out so you have to find the shot every night. Some nights I do it better than others. I'm averaging 197 there this year.

There is some truth to what your saying about oil and balls. My wife has been injured most of the year and we have a bowler subbing for her that typically bowls in only two of the houses here. He averages 210+ in both houses he normally bowls in. The back ends just absolutely fly in my Saturday night league house and I'm struggling with it some myself. He's averaging barely over 160 in this house. No spare ball because he can get away with it in other houses mostly agressive pearls in his three ball bags. It's actually kind of sad to watch because I know he knows how to bowl but due to an imbalanced Arsenal he looks like he doesn't know what he's doing in that house.

I'm not familiar enough with track to tell you too much about the 300a. I looked it up on line and from what it said and the numbers it could be ok. Personally myself I can get a rhino or tropical breeze that I know fills the bill drilled and all for $130 so I'd just get one of those punched up rather than guessing.

At the end of the day maybe think of it like this a higher Rg less agressive cover you can play in the 5-7 area. A medium Rg ball with a medium cover that you can play your favorite 9-11 area. And a stronger ball with length you can play in that 15 area

Something one of my old coaches taught me when I was struggling to play farther left. Move as far left as you can with your feet aim across twenty getting the ball as far right as possible adjust your speed until the ball hooks all the way across the lane. You just learned to play inside when you can do it.

Current arsenal

Rob, I bought a Storm Code Black and had it drilled up 50 x 5 x 35. It rolls very nicely for my style as I need as much help as I can get. I tend to be speed dominant. How did you have yours laid out? And how do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    Rob, I bought a Storm Code Black and had it drilled up 50 x 5 x 35. It rolls very nicely for my style as I need as much help as I can get. I tend to be speed dominant. How did you have yours laid out? And how do you like it?
    I really like the Code Black on certain conditions. I'm not 100% sure of the layout, but it seems to me it was something like 60 X 5 X 35. The main thing was that I drilled the MB out with the thumb hole to tame down the reaction, and made sure not to add a weight hole. The ball is certainly smooth, getting through the heads easily, but maintains a little "POP" at the back end to carry the corners. When it works, it works very well!

Thanks Rob!
    My Code Black doesn't have a weight hole either. The pin, CG and MB look as though they're in line with each other. I'm only on THS and got this ball on the day it was released. I think I'd like to use it after starting out with my Hy-Road or IQ Tour 30 with nearly the same cover. Use Reacta Shine on all of them. The Code Black has one heck of a pop on the backend. I usually will wait till I see the review from BTM, but I liked what I saw already by some other reviews.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Okay, let me set a few things straight. First, I don't have unlimited access to bowling balls. I pay for bowling balls like everyone else.
    You've tested how many bowling balls for Bowling Journal? You bought every single one? THAT folks, is dedication. I hope RobM at least got an honorable mention as employee of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    It is not possible to "know" what ball you are going to start with and what line you are going to play. The factors that will tell you how to play the lanes include the oil pattern used (only a fool assumes that it will be the same as last week), the brand of oil used (ditto), the weather, the topography of the particular lanes on which you are to bowl, who has bowled on the lanes before you (if the lanes are not freshly oiled), and who is bowling on the lanes with you. Given all of these variables, why would I possible bring three balls with similar RG's?
    Because...while "yes", conditions CAN and DO change for a variety of reasons...the changes not only aren't as drastic as you suggest...but cannot logically be as drastic as you suggest.

A house uses the same lane surfaces, so thats constant. Temperature factors vary a small degree and are often time mostly accounted for with AC. A center 'could' change an oil from season to season...but not night to night. The oil machine is the oil machine. The techs are the techs. I agree that these factors can change a line...but logically...even worst case scenario...as long as they oil the lanes...it's gonna be within a 6-board area of where you usually play. You may need a 3:3 move or a 2:1 move or a 2:2 move or a 3:2 move...or maybe you start out with your ball #2 instead of your ball #1...again, a minor adjustment...that hopefully you are able to make in practice/warm-ups.

Now, the reason i said it CANNOT logically be any more than a minor adjustment...is that IF IT IS as bad as you suggest...and that any little change in barometric pressure could cause the lanes to play entirely different...then bowling has no legitimacy whatsoever. It's an elaborate game of beanbag horseshoes. To have conditions change SO dramatically for very minor reasons...reasons that occur on an hour by hour basis globally...would completely delegitimize the sport...because there is no ability to guarantee that two bowlers are bowling on the same conditions from second to second.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    lol I did live in Missouri for a while and will be going back for Christmas.
    Yes Iceman. I've now uncovered your secret identity. I thought it was NewtoBowling that was Iceman's new name...but it actually makes more sense that it's you.

My balls aren't free either.
    And I don't want to know how much it costs to rent them. (cymbal hit)

According to your and Rob's stories...apparently I am the only one with access to free equipment...since most of my bowling balls are already purchased. However, for ME, it's more the cost of drilling than anything else. Sure, most of the balls I've purchased I've gotten for $59-$105...the only exceptions being the $120 I paid for my Frantic that I bought at a pro shop and the $205 I paid for the Scandal Pearl...but those both included drilling. But today I'm gonna get the 300A drilled up...that'll run me > $55 with inserts and what not.

I highly doubt they are only oiling 15-25. Could be they didn't oil at all could be the pattern is much shorter than you are used too.
    Not sure. In an ideal World, I could just ask them for a spec sheet on their lane conditions...which they are 'supposed' to have but I've yet to see one center have. But, I've asked at LEAST 4 centers what pattern they put down and I've yet to receive an answer better than, "Ummm...I don't know for sure, I think just a regular one." Most answers are "what? Umm, I have no idea." They then supposedly leave a note for the tech and by next week you start the entire process over again.

The back ends just absolutely fly in my Saturday night league house and I'm struggling with it some myself. He's averaging barely over 160 in this house. No spare ball because he can get away with it in other houses mostly agressive pearls in his three ball bags. It's actually kind of sad to watch because I know he knows how to bowl but due to an imbalanced Arsenal he looks like he doesn't know what he's doing in that house.
    Well, thats me on Tuesdays. I am supposed to be a 180-200 average bowler that subs routinely for the team anchor who is absent frequently. And I'm struggling mightily to reach a 500 series. I've tried just about everything I can do i terms of lateral adjustments, physical adjustments, targeting adjustments, ball adjustments, etc... At this point, the 300A is going to be my "last shot" at finding a ball I can throw...even if I have to me a little inside of my comfort zone. If this doesn't work and the 300A rolls out at 45ft...I'm just gonna have to average in the 160s throwing the spare ball at the pocket...or maybe throw a 10lb house ball thumbless or something...I'm out of options if the 300A doesn't work.

Personally myself I can get a rhino or tropical breeze that I know fills the bill drilled and all for $130 so I'd just get one of those punched up rather than guessing.
    Those are both more aggressive options than the 300A...those are more like what I'd get from the 706A. The anchor on the team averages around 200 with an Ebonite Cyclone...so, 'maybe'...at this hose, less is more. Hopefully I find out tonight.

Something one of my old coaches taught me when I was struggling to play farther left. Move as far left as you can with your feet aim across twenty getting the ball as far right as possible adjust your speed until the ball hooks all the way across the lane. You just learned to play inside when you can do it.
    I'd have to drastically drop my speed to attempt that little drill. But it's something to think about.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Because...while "yes", conditions CAN and DO change for a variety of reasons...the changes not only aren't as drastic as you suggest...but cannot logically be as drastic as you suggest.

I've seen some pretty drastic changes from night to night myself but we tend to have older lanes and oiling machines here but that's again missing the point. The point is that you won't have the best ball reaction every night if you think your going to play the exact same ball path and break point every night. You're not going to find that perfect place where you have miss room right and left at the exact same break point every night it just won't happen. Even in the best house we have which has newer lanes and a newer oil machine where the lanes are scoring best still moves around. Most of the time I play straighter with a breakpoint around 8 in this house. Last week in warm ups I left 2 ten pins and a pocket 7-10 in warm ups obviously I could get to the pocket from there but It wasn't going to be a good night if I played my usual line. I moved 6-2 left moving my break point to 6. Shot 237-211-189 should have changed balls earlier in the 3rd I had a board right and 2 boards inside I could miss and still have a good shot at getting a strike but If I stayed trying to play the line I originally tried like I used too I would have been lucky to break 200 any of the games.

As I've said watch the top bowlers for a month or so where they play I bet it's not in the same spot every night because they know better.

Now, the reason i said it CANNOT logically be any more than a minor adjustment...is that IF IT IS as bad as you suggest...and that any little change in barometric pressure could cause the lanes to play entirely different...then bowling has no legitimacy whatsoever. It's an elaborate game of beanbag horseshoes. To have conditions change SO dramatically for very minor reasons...reasons that occur on an hour by hour basis globally...would completely delegitimize the sport...because there is no ability to guarantee that two bowlers are bowling on the same conditions from second to second.
    Nonsense every sport has its variables. Baseball is effected by the temperature and stadium sizes and no one quits watching or playing over it. My favorite football games to watch are played in the snow. Tennis has courts made of completely different materials the effects who has an advantage people still watch and play. Is every golf course the same? No. the only sport I can think of that's not overly effected by outside variations are Basketball, Hockey, and maybe Soccer.

According to your and Rob's stories...apparently I am the only one with access to free equipment...since most of my bowling balls are already purchased. However, for ME, it's more the cost of drilling than anything else. Sure, most of the balls I've purchased I've gotten for $59-$105...the only exceptions being the $120 I paid for my Frantic that I bought at a pro shop and the $205 I paid for the Scandal Pearl...but those both included drilling. But today I'm gonna get the 300A drilled up...that'll run me > $55 with inserts and what not.
    I'm not sure how this counts as free when your still buying them and paying to drill them?

Those are both more aggressive options than the 300A...those are more like what I'd get from the 706A. The anchor on the team averages around 200 with an Ebonite Cyclone...so, 'maybe'...at this hose, less is more. Hopefully I find out tonight.
    I'm not a Track expert but from everyone I've ever talked to the Tropical Breeze is the weakest reactive ball made not sure how it compares to the Rhino but from seeing them I would guess about 2-1 different. The Cyclone is actually strongest of all the entry level balls and most of the EBI people I know say it's more of a true medium than lighter oil ball.

I'd have to drastically drop my speed to attempt that little drill. But it's something to think about.
    I have to have drier lanes and drop my speed to do it also on oiler conditions if I can get it to the 4-7 range I'm happy

Current arsenal

Yes Iceman. I've now uncovered your secret identity. I thought it was NewtoBowling that was Iceman's new name...but it actually makes more sense that it's you.

I wish I had Iceman's arms

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    I wish I had Iceman's arms
    Yeah but I can't bowl in sandals

Current arsenal

Page 153 of 226 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163203 ... LastLast