The Roto Grip Rumble is HP-2 line along with the Shatter and the Wrecker. The Rumble is a Solid cover stock that complements the Shatter which is a pearl cover stock and Wrecker which is a Hybrid cover stock. The Rumble does not have the skid flip motion of the Shatter or the Wrecker but it does have decent length and a very continuous backend motion.

The Layout that I used for the Rumble is 45 X 5 ½ X 45 with an X hole 7 inches from the center of my grip or the Pin Above the fingers with a 7 inch hole. My PAP is 5 5/8 over and ¾ up, rev rate around 300, ball speed around 15MPH and I am right handed.

For my review I threw the Rumble and the Shatter and compared the differences. Both balls have similar layouts (Pin over the fingers with an x hole) and I kept them at box finish so with the Rumble being at 2000 and dull and the Shatter at 1500 and Polished there was a noticeable difference in length. The Rumble rolled earlier and more continuous were as the Shatter was a more Skid Flip ball motion. On the Typical House Pattern were I was throwing the two balls, I was farther left with my feet and my target line was also a little farther left with the Rumble compared to the Shatter. The reason is the Rumble at box surface needs some oil in the front part of the lane in order to store energy for the best results. I decided to polish the Rumble and see what would happen. The polished Rumble did skid more through the front part of the lane and more energy for the break point. However, the continuous ball motion was still there compared to the Skid Flipping ball motion of the Shatter.

I also used the Rumble on various tournament conditions and was surprised by the versatility. The Rumble is a solid ball that gives you enough length and backend motion to use when the pattern is “tricky” or transitioning. My best results have been later in the block (games 3 to 4) especially on medium length patterns with medium volume. What I have noticed is that for me it is a good in between ball. When the Disturbed or IQ solid is too much ball but a pearl cover is too jumpy… That is where the Rumble fits for me. The Rumble provides that consistent but strong ball motion.

The Rumble will always be in my bag when I going to a tournament.

Dan Schaden Jr
Storm/ Roto Grip Staff
Vise Grip Staff