Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dilemma emulating pro bowler's styles...

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    If you go back and reread the majority of your posts you will see how conflicted you really are. And, oh, by the way - it's getting a bit old...every post seems to turn into your conflicting this and that. I was this, but now I'm that, but that didn't work, so I'm doing this...and on and on.
    Point taken...I will no longer discuss my bowling struggles on bowlingboards.com. If I get the urge, I will find a way to just say something non-offensive and maybe educational or inspirational...something non-related to my current struggles. I apologize that a person struggling with their bowling game is so boring and offensive to you.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 184; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Aslan,

For the record, this isn't a personal attack nor a personality conflict. Feel I have to say something with the statement you made towards classygranny.
    Why? Why do you feel you have to say something regarding what I said to her?

I am done giving advice to you.
    Thank You

I truly hope you find success in your bowling and you find whatever works for you. Best of luck!!
    I doubt you feel that way. But I agree and also hope I find the success I'm looking for.

On a side note...would it be possible if those that dislike me just "PM" me this kinda stuff. I don't want to clog the forum with this nonsense. Bowl1820 has already asked 1-2 times that this kinda stuff not be aired publically and I 100% agree. Please feel free to PM me with whatever "hate" or "personal criticisms" you might have. I am older than 13 so if you're "mean to me" online/via PM I won't get suicidal or anything...I promise. I just think it's getting old for everyone else. Some people are here to chillax and try to win a free ball...they don't want an episode of "As the World Turns" every time Aslan is dimwitted enough to make a post on the forums. Thanks in advance.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Good, it's much better to dress like Guppy Troup!
    Actually...those killer plaid pants he wore weren't much worse than what you see on the pro golf tour.

One thing I like about going back to old videos is seeing how styles have changed (fashion). I've been watching a lot of Earl Anthony and to see him with the feathered hair and the giant spectacles...totally 80s look. Then you go back to the golden era...all the guys are wearing essentially "uniforms"...just plain shirts with thier names on the back. Then fast forward to today and it looks like the bowling ball manufacturers are having a contest to see who can make the most fluorescent and distracting bowling jersey. Whino (I meant Rhino but mis-typed...but I'm leaving it because it's funny) Page looks like a creamsicle exploded!!

Also...sidenote...Earl Anthony's wife...HOT. They usually show the wives during the matches, at least they used to. Parker Bohn's wife got interviewed and she seemed really nice. But Suzie Anthony, circa 1981...wowsers.

I think I'm gonna go old school and try to watch some old Carmen Salvino...see if I can pick anything up from an old school great.
    Last edited by Aslan; 10-02-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Default Wrw!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I picked my personal favorite pro bowler...Walter Ray Williams Jr. Future hall of Famer...most titles...and a good guy overall.
    Man…this still bugs me. Been watching a lot of WRW…we're similar in height, both right handers…and I gotta think if there's a pro bowler to emulate…nobody alive has the hardware that Walter Ray does. But man…I just CANNOT see how that guy gets the consistency he does with that delivery. Must be his horseshoe throwing background or something. I watched the Wichita Open where they actually slow motioned his swing and WOW…that thing he does where his right hand snaps up and his right leg swings up…Wow!

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Walter Ray has the ability to accelerate his release even though his hand is not in a very strong position. He does so by getting pretty much his whole body into it at the foul line. If he simply released it smooth with his hand where it is, he would have a weak end-over-end roll with far less revs or else he would have to throw it slow and the ball would likely roll out.

As with many top pro bowlers he has many great things about his delivery but also has one oddball thing that is almost impossible to imitate and it makes him great. He also has incredible hand eye co-ordination which he has always had, probably genetics, but has been greatly enhanced by his millions of horse shoe tosses.
    Ball speed: 17 - 18.5 mph Rev rate: 400ish
    PAP 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
    13° axis tilt / 30°-60° axis rotation
    Thumbless bowler
    High game: 300 High series: 804 High average: 217

Yeah. I've found that to be rather frustrating about "emulating the pros". No matter who you pick..there's something that they do or don't do that makes it hard to just "emulate them". With WRW it's that funky sort of "jump release". With Earl Anthony it's the way he leans over the foul line. Even PDW…he has that sort of old skool "side release"….where after releasing the ball his arm goes off to the side and he sort of moves off to the right.

I'm gonna try to watch Parker Bohn or Mika and see if maybe they have styles that are a little easier to emulate. Doubtful about Mika though…I have no idea how he can get a low enough speed to make the ball hook with that high of a backswing.

The announcers were talking about Mika's style one time in a show he made...

Something along the lines of his bowling style was heavily influences by his height and the lanes he learned/bowled on where wood with dry heads.

Those things (combined with others of course) are the reason he lofts the ball so much and is so good at doing so consistently and accuractely.
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Perrin View Post
    The announcers were talking about Mika's style one time in a show he made...

Something along the lines of his bowling style was heavily influences by his height and the lanes he learned/bowled on where wood with dry heads.

Those things (combined with others of course) are the reason he lofts the ball so much and is so good at doing so consistently and accuractely.
    Thats a good point. I am also tall and started on dry/wood lanes so I tend to loft it more as well. Thats why I was thinking maybe he'd be a more natural one for me to emulate.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Mika lofts the ball a long ways but it still lands soft like a plane coming in for a landing. He does this by hitting out, not up, on the ball and he releases the ball from a fairly high point. Since his ball is released so far above the lane, the only way possible for it to land soft is if he lofts it a long ways. The less his loft, the steeper the downward angle and the harder the ball is going to hit the lane. It takes great athletic ability to do that and also long arms and a lanky frame. So forget it if you think his style is anything but very difficult to emulate.

Parker Bohn's delivery isn't going to be easy to copy either. How many other pros throw it like him? He has tremendous knee bend and continuation, especially considering his age, and a golden armswing that never at any point relies on cupping or cocking the ball. He just has incredible release timing where he is able to hit the ball effortlessly without ever changing the tempo of his swing. Like Weber, he doesn't really play the inside of the ball. His hand gets to the side before release and like Weber he has a very soft release with no grab. His flawless timing allows him to generate speed and a powerful roll. Good luck trying to do what he does. If you could throw it like Parker Bohn you would BE Parker Bohn.

If you want to see a delivery that you could actually try to emulate watch David Ozio. He doesn't do anything remarkable except that he does everything very, very well.
    Last edited by sprocket; 12-26-2013 at 06:45 PM.
    Ball speed: 17 - 18.5 mph Rev rate: 400ish
    PAP 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
    13° axis tilt / 30°-60° axis rotation
    Thumbless bowler
    High game: 300 High series: 804 High average: 217

Now you're gonna make me watch even MORE video (kidding).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123