Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dilemma emulating pro bowler's styles...

Chats: 204

Post Dilemma emulating pro bowler's styles...

Okay, so I've been struggling with my game on synthetic lanes. I seem to do really well on wood lanes where the oil is more soaked into the wood...but on slick synthetic lanes...horrible. We're talking at LEAST a 10-30 pin difference in average.

So I tried to get professional coaching...but the first guy (bronze certified, 210 USBC sanctioned average) advocated a upright, high loft, shortened backswing, shortened approach...and the second guy (hall of famer PBA bowler) advocated a much more traditional stay low, release earlier type of approach.

But thats neither here nor there...the overall point I'm getting at is I'm really, really struggling. I can go bowl 165-185 on wood lanes...bowl series ranging from 411-500...then I go bowl on sythetics with the same approach, swing, release...just changing my target due to my ball having ZERO reactivity on the back end...and I'm bowling 97-134...series in 300-380 range. And I'm struggling with the advice of BOTH pros because if I shorten everything and do high loft...there are advantages...but disadvantages as well. Same with setting the ball down earlier...advantages...but disadvantages. For example;

If I go "high loft" (15ft out) I take out any possiblity the ball will hook. It doesn't get spinning early enough and the impact takes away it's energy. However, because I'm upright...it helps me keep my shoulders straight and I'm more consistent at hitting the head pin.

If I release earlier (traditional "setting it down just past the towel" type of release)...I have to target the dots instead of the arrows and if you "miss" by just one board...you miss the head pin. Simple physics/geometry...take 2 points that are close together...try to draw a line between them that hits the target...now move those dots apart and draw the line...if you "miss" you still can hit the headpin; it's more forgiving. Plus, I have REAL problems either rotating my shoulders too much or too little when I release early...which leads me to not just "miss"...but miss huge...like hitting the 4-pin kinda miss.

So...long backstory to a much simpler question...but I decided maybe I can learn to tweak my approach/swing/release/follow-through by watching pro bowlers. I picked my personal favorite pro bowler...Walter Ray Williams Jr. Future hall of Famer...most titles...and a good guy overall. The PROBLEM is...his approach is FUNKY. I mean, if he wasn't Water Ray...and he took a lesson from a pro..the pro would want to change his approach/swing. Why? Well...most obvious...look at his sweeping/balance leg. Just youtube him...his approach/swing is always the same from year to year tournament to tournament. After he releases...he's standing on one foot like a flamingo. That...and he does a "jerky" release/follow-through.

So I think I'll takle a look at my 2nd favorite bowler's (Earl Anthony) approach and see if I can learn something from him. Because trying to emulate Walter Ray...I just think that has disaster written all over it.

So the question for the forum is...do you guys/gals ever emulate a pro bowler? Have you tried to emulate one and it did/didn't work out? Is there any pro bowler you root for/like but his style is just too quirky/weird for you to emulate?
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 256

I have taken bits and pieces from several different bowlers and adapted those tweaks into my approach etc. In the end though, I just made the tweaks and adjusted them to my liking and how my game is.

I like Mike Fagan, but his approach and HIGH back swing is something I couldn't adjust to.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    I have taken bits and pieces from several different bowlers and adapted those tweaks into my approach etc. In the end though, I just made the tweaks and adjusted them to my liking and how my game is.

I like Mike Fagan, but his approach and HIGH back swing is something I couldn't adjust to.
    I'm amazed with his 'no pause' motion

Chats: 221

If I were trying to copy an aproach and armswing I would look at David Ozio , smooth and controlled. Was coached by one of the best , JohnJowdy. As for your synthetic league you will probably need to get something stronger than your Frantic due to the harder surface , and therefore less friction than wood of the synthetic surface
    Last edited by Stormed1; 09-30-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Chats: 55

Ozio is good. Think about watching Chris Barnes for his approach and timing. Chris can change between 5 steps, 4 steps, even 3 steps when in front of ball rack, because he KNOWS where the ball is and where it needs to be at each point of the approach.

Until your approach is consistent and your timing is good, it won't help too much to work on other things (this according to my coach). And I see he is right. What I worked on prior to getting my approach consistent has now changed somewhat, so I am starting over in some areas.

If you haven't read The Game Changer by Mark Baker, you may want to pick up a copy and give it a read.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Chats: 506

any coach will say chris barns has the best forum out of any bowler hands down and easy
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Ozio is good. Think about watching Chris Barnes for his approach and timing. Chris can change between 5 steps, 4 steps, even 3 steps when in front of ball rack, because he KNOWS where the ball is and where it needs to be at each point of the approach.

Until your approach is consistent and your timing is good, it won't help too much to work on other things (this according to my coach). And I see he is right. What I worked on prior to getting my approach consistent has now changed somewhat, so I am starting over in some areas.

If you haven't read The Game Changer by Mark Baker, you may want to pick up a copy and give it a read.
    Quote Originally Posted by noeymc View Post
    any coach will say chris barns has the best forum out of any bowler hands down and easy
    Both of you absolutely correct. When I have trouble with my timing and need to tweak it, I always look at Chris Barnes' timing video on Youtube. Very good video and shows both 4 and 5 step approaches broken down and clear.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post

Just finished reading it. Great Book!!

My husband has his private lesson with Mark on Friday. He's pretty excited.

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Just finished reading it. Great Book!!

My husband has his private lesson with Mark on Friday. He's pretty excited.
    OOOOhhhhh, I am sooooooo jealous!
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Chats: 243

im not sure if my form looks the same as some of the people i try to emulate but yes pretty much different bits of my form are taken from pros

when i first started i watched a lot of dick weber and as i result i used to do that "ta da" thing he would do with his hand at the end of his follow through
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast