Right Handed
Ball weight: 14
Rev Rate: 378
Ball Speed: 18.2
Axis Tilt: 6.67
Axis Rotation: 45*
PAP: 3 7/8 horizontal, 1 up
Layout: 5 x 3 1/8 x 3 7/8

My plan for this ball was to have a high-end ball for burned up patterns, when everything wants to check up early. Not the best idea I’ve ever had…

I’ve used this ball on a couple of THS and a 39’, 3:1 sport pattern.

The first night out of the bag was on older HPL synthetics on a late-shift league. This league tends to give me problems as the lanes break down and the ‘major’ transition occurs. At the beginning of league, I was standing about 25-28, rolling at about 13-15 at the arrows with my normal cupped wrist position. I had a great look as long as I got the ball out of the oil by 30 ft. If I tugged the ball inside or it didn’t make it out early enough, it would skate through the breakpoint or finish in the hole for a flat 10. As the lanes broke down, I continued to move deeper, but the look got nasty fairly quickly. Instead of making a ball change, I changed my wrist position to flat, making sure the ball was resting on the ball of my index finger. I was able to move a little right and keep my look about the same. I continued to have the problem with missing inside, but as long as I used the friction to the right of puddle, the ball rolled quite well.

My second league with this one was in a different house on HPL synthetics with a fresh THS. I didn’t start with the Totally Defiant, but my first ball choice was just ringing 10s, so around frame 5 in the first game, I pulled the trigger on the Totally Defiant. Right out of the bag, I was standing 27, rolling 14 with a swing. The room right this ball created was absolutely amazing! If the trajectory was off and I missed right, it came screaming back, if I tugged it, it held and crushed. Started game 2 with front 10 and a flat 10 for 289. The amount of room this ball gave me on a fresh house pattern was crazy. As the third game started, I had to chase the shot left and begin hitting some burn. As it was checking up early, or leaving a half 10, I had to make a ball change.

Using this one on the 39’ sport pattern was quite unsuccessful. I was really hoping for more length, but the ball just didn’t want to get down the lane. I believe this is more due to the layout than the ball itself. The layout made the ball more of a banana than skid/flip.

All of that said, this ball has a place in my bag. It rolls quite well on various levels of the THS, but I’m still looking for a tourney pattern that it will hit as well as the THS. My only complaint is that I missed the layout, which has created duds in the past, but with the Totally Defiant I still have a ball that will be quite useful.

I may have to drill another one of these just to try a more angular layout. I believe this ball wants to make the left turn, so why limit it to the banana shape?