Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Bowling Ball

Default First Bowling Ball

Hey everyone. This is my first post. I've done some research on here but the search for "First Bowling Ball" and "Entry level ball" don't quite get me where I want to be so I thought I'd ask directly.

Ok, so let me preface this: This is my third year bowling in a league. It's not very competitive but there are a handfull of decent bowlers and a couple good ones. Also there are some bad ones...

Anyway I'm currently about a 130 average and I typically bowl anywhere from 130-160 with a 14lb house ball on synthetic lanes. I'm going to talk to the pro shop about what the oil conditions are on our normal league day to get a better idea.

I throw a 'straight' ball. I use the quotes because I dont necissarily throw straight my natural throw has a little bit of right to left into the pocket.

I want to get my own ball and learn to throw a hook. But looking online at balls has me confused. I'd like to get something I could use for a while. Whatever I get I want to get fingertip drilled. And I don't want to wind up with something that's too much to start with. Should I look at something like a Tropical Storm or a Strike King?

What other balls might you suggest.

A friend I bowl with who's one of the better bowlers in our league recommended getting something with a symetrical weight and pearl finish. But when I search bowlingball.com I find many balls and I just really don't know how to narrow it down.

I'm sure that after speaking with the pro shop I might have more of an idea. I just thought I would reach out here first for help as I don't want to get in over my head on my first ball

Thanks in advance

You have exactly the right Idea

Strike king, Tropical Storm, Misfit pearl, Cyclone, Ascent.

Those are your basic entry level balls. I am sure I am leaving out some manufacturers.

Start with one of those.

welcome to the boards
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Perrin View Post
    You have exactly the right Idea

Strike king, Tropical Storm, Misfit pearl, Cyclone, Ascent.

Those are your basic entry level balls. I am sure I am leaving out some manufacturers.

Start with one of those.

welcome to the boards
    Agreed - start with a beginner's hook ball that is a step up from the house ball or plastic entry level ball - level II. Drilled for your hand and a beginning hook. Any good pro shop should be able to set you up. Somewhere in the $100 range drilled with finger tips. The beginning hook should be hand flat as you start the approach and end up like you are shaking someone's hand.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

As your friend suggested anything with a symmetrical core would be good for you as they seem to be more forgiving of inconsistent releases. I'm just getting used to throwing a ball with a pearl finish, and I don't bowl at the same center that you do so I don't know how well a pearl will work for you.

The Storm tropical line and what ever preceded the Strike King for Brunswick have a good reputation as entry level balls.

If you're throwing a 14 pound house ball with no problems I would suggest trying 15 pounds for your own ball. Having it drilled to fit your hand will make it as easy to hold as the lighter house ball.

Being new to fingertip grips you won't really have a positive axis point to measure before they drill the ball for you. You don't have to get caught up ball layouts, pin up, pin down, dual angle, none of that stuff will make any difference for right now.

Some drillers will even have a lane turned on for you when you get the ball and will give you five or ten minutes of watching you, making suggestions and also making sure the grip feels good to you when you start throwing it.
    John

Thank you all for the suggestions I appreciate it

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Welcome And thanks for asking the question!

Everyone here has given you great advice, a Storm Tropical Breeze is a great choice I encourage newer bowlers towards for their first fingertip ball.

Make sure you work with a pro shop who is IBPSIA certified! http://www.ibpsia.com

This will ensure your driller knows how to fit you properly and make your experience a positive one.

Please ask around here with any questions you might have!

Columbia Freeze is a great choice as well. A guy in league had a new one that is cool. It looks pretty sweet rolling down the lane. And, it's a pearl which tend to be more forgiving.

Another guy throws one and it slams the pins hard. I was surprised by how hard it hits.

http://www.bowlingball.com/products/...therInCategory

Chats: 4

Wow, lots of good advice given already. I'd second the Columbia300 Freeze to your list of recommendations. Whether you choose the pearl, hybrid, or "regular" version is something the pro shop and your better league bowlers can help you to decide. I own the hybrid and think it outperforms its price point quite well.

I know you're going to do this already, but let me emphasize knowing whether your league's oil is considered light/medium/heavy. It's no fun to throw a ball designed for light amount of oil on a heavy pattern. You won't know if the oil or your developing technique is keeping the ball from hooking (speaking from personal experience). As long as your ball choice generally matches to the volume of oil, you should get a lot of use out of your first ball as you learn to throw a hook. Good luck!

Chats: 506

brusnwick sling shot is the best out there if u ask me =D its what i got my buddy to start with and he still throws it
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Quote Originally Posted by dnhoffman View Post
    Welcome And thanks for asking the question!

Everyone here has given you great advice, a Storm Tropical Breeze is a great choice I encourage newer bowlers towards for their first fingertip ball.

Make sure you work with a pro shop who is IBPSIA certified! http://www.ibpsia.com

This will ensure your driller knows how to fit you properly and make your experience a positive one.

Please ask around here with any questions you might have!
    Interesting, I live in Pittsburgh and it seems the only IBPSIA pro shops are quite a ways away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast