Thread: Releases

Default Releases

This video (not mine) is pretty well done, showing slow-motion shots of releases of various RPM (rotations per minute) rates from low to "medium".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNPA0...eature=related

While some comments on the site itself complain about these not being "professional" or "well-developed" releases, there is much to be learned by understanding why a certain release technique is bad. Notice how some of the releases - regardless of rev rate - are launched at an upward angle, some even with the surface of the lane, and some with a downward angle. Some of them bounce, which is actually counter-productive to consistent ball reaction and hook.

My hat is off to the maker of the video - nicely done.
    JJ "Better than Jello" Anderson - Kill the Back Row

I assume the tape on the ball is a measurement for RPM? I've got the motioncoach software and it's hard to get the RPM from the video, but with tape, I can see it being easier. I'll give this a shot.

While I was watching this video, I found a Expert Village video of Follow through correctly and incorrectly. He shows the differences of following through and Short Arm/Chicken Winging (which I do both at times). This is starting to show me how easy this game should be - but the obstacle I am faced with is the muscle memory of my long term approach and release. This will take time to rid the old way and do it correctly - it will be good in the long run but I can tell a lot of the team members I bowl with now are starting to get frustrated with me a little - my 210 average is dropping like 2 - 3 pins a evening. I do have 1 team on my executive league that is fully supportive. They understand what I'm trying to do and commend me on working on it so consistently. We are not winning all the games we should be (mostly by a 10 - 20 pins) and usually shows in my score, but we all miss a few spares each evening that could be the difference and they see it.

I know I can't do my old way on certain nights, and my new technique other nights, I'd never get the muscle memory going. Any suggestions here besides bowling everyday?

Good points, Iceman.

You are correct in your assumption that the tape helps in measuring rev rate. The tape is placed on the ball such that one end of the tape is on the bowler's positive access point and the other end of the tape on the bowler's track. There is a method by which a video camera is used in conjunction with the tape to more accurately measure rev rate. I wish I could give you the specifics, but in general it works like this.

Using a video camera that films at 30 frames per second, the bowler throws a shot with the tape on the ball and the video camera filming from behind the bowler. After the shot, the video is paused just as the ball is released and the location of the tape is noted. Then the camera is moved forward one frame at a time for 15 frames (that's a total one half second at 30 frames per second) while watching the tape rotate. How many rotations the tape makes in that time is noted. Thinking of the dial of clock with the tape as one of the clock hands helps. If the tape starts at 7 o'clock and ends at 7 o'clock going around only once, it has made 1 rotation. If the tape starts at 10 o'clock rotates all the way around once going past 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock, it has rotated 1 1/2 times.

Now we know how many rotations the ball has made in a set period of time (one half second). Multiply the number of rotations by 120 (the number of half-seconds in a minute) and you have your rotations per minute (RPM).

So in the above examples, 1 rotation in one half-second times 120 half seconds per minute = 120 rotations per minute. 1 1/2 rotations in one half-second times 120 half seconds per minute = 180 RPM.

It is done immediately after release to get the initial release RPM. That is because as a bowling ball encounters friction, it and its rotation rate slows down.

The best place to get your RPM rate measured is by one of the CATS (Comptuer Aided Tracking System) or by a knowledgeable coach with the right tools.
    Last edited by JAnderson; 12-30-2008 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Better explanation of RPM measurement technique

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

As far as changing muscle memory, does Ron have any drills posted on his site that might help? I know what he's had me and/or the wife do, but I can't recall if they're online too. www.bowl4fun.com and look for his archived tips. He talked a little about that on this week's show, too. In the meantime, soak up everything from my friend j. I know I'll be doing the same.

Is Ron a member on here? I just read a lot of his articles on that site, goes in to much detail and easy understandable. Muscle memory is a slow on-going process. I didn't think about breaking it down step by step and staying slow - that's a practice session coming up soon.

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

I don't think he's joined here yet. I'll PM him through br.com and see if he'd care to join us here, too. His screen name there is Magic Carpet. I think he'd like to read what I had to say about his appearance on the LGB show, too. Really, you're a lot closer to NC than we are. Think about joining us at the Gathering this summer. It's a lot of fun, and it's a bowler's house.

Quote Originally Posted by kev3inp View Post
    Really, you're a lot closer to NC than we are. Think about joining us at the Gathering this summer. It's a lot of fun, and it's a bowler's house.

I have it on my calendar, my wife and I own our own IT company, so we just have to make sure our clients our covered by the others, and that's something hard to do, as they are lower end technicians, but we did find a way to get to Florida last year for 4 days - this sounds like fun.

As far as changing muscle memory, does Ron have any drills posted on his site that might help?
    I'm not sure. I must confess that I haven't read too many of the articles posted on Ron's site. It's not for lack of interest. I work with Ron off and on, so as my coach, he addresses the areas of my game that most need improvement. So I get the information most relevant to my game straight from the source.

Thanks for forcing me to admit my ignorance. If I'm going to try to help others, I need to get an understanding of what other, more knowledgeable people have to say about the same topics.

Any drill that makes you feel like you're doing something different is a drill that is changing "muscle memory". Has Ron had you throw the ball while standing at the line on your slide leg with your trailing leg in the air? That's a good drill because we can't engage too many muscles in the swing or else we'll fall over, so it helps promote a free arm swing. It also helps us get the feel of having our slide foot in the center of our body, the most balanced and leveraged position from which we can deliver a ball. This promotes better balance, consistency of release, and a more leveraged release.

You can also do this drill in your living room with a couch and some pillows. If you're worried about damaging your floor, do what I did. Find an office building that is throwing out carpet or buy some scrap pieces of carpet from a carpet store for $3.