Thread: Storm Byte Review by Dan Schaden Jr

Chats: 0

Default Storm Byte Review by Dan Schaden Jr

Storm’s October Premier release is the Byte which is the 3rd bowling ball in the Premier Line. The Byte compliments the Sync, which was released in February, by clearing the front part of the lane with ease and has a dynamic backend motion. The reason why the Byte has effortless length and tremendous backend motion is from the ERG Pearl Coverstock and G2+ Core. The Byte will be in play when the pattern starts to dry out. This is where the Sync lost energy and could not make the turn… The Byte will be able to make the turn.

The layout that I used on the Byte was 75 X 6 X 55 for the dual angle people or pin over the middle finger with no extra hole and mass bias slightly kicked out. My PAP is 5 5/8 over and ¾ up with my rev rate is around 300 and ball speed around 15MPH. I am right handed. I went with a slightly “weaker layout” was to emphasize the Byte’s length and backend motion especially when I have to move in and go more left to right.

The first pattern I threw the Byte on was a typical house pattern. Early on the Byte was over / under but as the session continued and pattern became more blended the Byte was a striking machine! The Byte really allowed me to open up the lane and gave me recovery that I am not accustomed to. I compared the Byte to two bowling balls in Storm’s arsenal the Sync and HyRoad Pearl. The first comparison was with the Sync. The Sync rolled about 10 feet earlier than the Byte. The Byte also had a stronger backend motion than the Sync. The next ball I compared to the Byte was the HyRoad Pearl. They both gave me about the same length. The difference was in the backend motion… The Byte was about 3 to 4 boards stronger than the HyRoad Pearl.

I also threw the Byte on several sport patterns. The Byte was in play on the short to medium patterns where there was some friction down the lane. I had a lot success on the USBC Open Team pattern when the pattern started to dry out and had to move left and get the ball going to right. The Byte is just effortless through the front part of the lane. I also threw the Byte on a version of the Viper pattern on a hard surface and the Byte’s length was an issue until the pattern broke down some and the friction spot was more evident. The surface on the Byte was out of the box with no modification

The Byte will help you take a Byte out of your competition!

Dan Schaden Jr
    Storm Roto Grip Staff
    Vise Grip Staff

Chats: 204

That is a solid review! Well done!!!
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

I have had two 300's with Storm balls in the last 6 months at the age of 65!! I would love to get one, but I fear my wife would Byte, my right arm off if I did!!

What would be the difference between the Byte, and my Virtual Gravity, that just gave me a 300/780 series.... and the IQ pearl 300 ball? I also have a Lucid that I just resurfaced and will be taking to league tonight!

I want to see the difference between the Virtual Gravity, and Lucid! I did put polish, Reacta shine on the lucid to clear the heads! Both have the same surface, so it will be interesting to see the difference.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 204

More importantly...what does it smell like?? I don't see that in the review. I don't think anyone is going to buy it if you don't focus more on the smell. Well...thats actually not "my" opinion per say...I just want it to smell like "victory".
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Seriously?

Chats: 4

How does this ball compare to the Roto Grip Defiant Soul? I'm dying to get some thoughts on this.

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    I have had two 300's with Storm balls in the last 6 months at the age of 65!! I would love to get one, but I fear my wife would Byte, my right arm off if I did!!

What would be the difference between the Byte, and my Virtual Gravity, that just gave me a 300/780 series.... and the IQ pearl 300 ball? I also have a Lucid that I just resurfaced and will be taking to league tonight!

I want to see the difference between the Virtual Gravity, and Lucid! I did put polish, Reacta shine on the lucid to clear the heads! Both have the same surface, so it will be interesting to see the difference.
    i would also like to know the differene between the byte and gravity nano. thinking of getting a byte. need a nice strong/aggressive ball that get far down lane