Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Creation and Editing Help

Question Video Creation and Editing Help

Iceman has expressed his willingness to help me with this subject one-on-one, but I figured that if I have these questions, there are probably other members of the community that have the same or similar questions.

I'm a goal-oriented person and it helps to know what a person is trying to achieve if you want to help them.

My goal is to be able to edit and post bowling videos to a number of different web sites. At this time, that list of sites includes:
    • Blogspot
    • YouTube
    • My personal web site

There's a need to keep costs down (who doesn't need that?) but I'm willing to spend a couple hundred bucks. I have complete administrative control over my own web site.

I have a Hi-8 Camcorder (Sony CCD-TR700) which records decent video onto Hi-8 tapes. It has S-video and component out, but no video or video capture card on any of my computers that will accept these connections. I can get video out of the camera and onto a DVD in standard format (I believe that's mpeg2?) right now using my DVD recorder.

I mention that because I also have bowling videos (I own the content) on DVDs - for example the videos we purchased on DVD of our teams from the USBC National Open - from which I would like to edit out short clips and post them to the sites above.

Keep in mind that I'm employed as a computer systems administrator I'm computer savvy, but the world of video editing is foreign to me. I understand that there are a bunch of different video formats, but that's about it. I'm equally comfortable in the Windows and Linux worlds.

What do I need? This is where I start guessing and where I need help!

From what I understand, I will need video capture/editing software (some software includes both) and if I want to go straight from the camera to my computer, I will need a video capture card that supports the connections my camera offers. Am I missing anything?

People have recommended Adobe Premiere, but I'm not sure I need the Pro version. There is also Adobe Premiere Elements, but I'm concerned it may not do everything I want it to. It would help a bunch to have a knowledgeable person ask me the series of questions that need to be asked about what I want to do with the editing because I'm certain I don't know what I don't know about it. There are probably all kinds of different bells and whistles I've never heard before.

Feel free to point me at Internet resources you feel are appropriate for a video newbie like me. If we need to break this out into separate smaller subjects, that works fine too.
    JJ "Better than Jello" Anderson - Kill the Back Row

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Have you looked into motionpro software? Ken's had the guy from there on his show a few times and there's a link on the gobowling show site. My not ever doing any of that doesn't help you much, but I seem to recall a few things that were mentioned about it that you might be interested in.

MotionPro Coach Edition has good features - able to frame by frame capture - RPM, etc. It can also make DVD quality lessons. Video editing on this is limited - but does have the option for lines, circles points of interest in each frame. The learning curve on this was a little more than I expected, but after a few times, it's pretty easy to use for quick captures.

I personally use Adobe premiere, only for the advanced frame rate editing - it has more optons than most video's need. Windows XP comes with Movie maker, which is low end editing, but it will get the videos posted in the format you want. Divx and Mpeg4 are great content - able to convert to Blueray HD quality - you do lose FPS, but overall not much difference. Sizes are greater with AVI and Mpeg, but WMV are much smaller and you will have the option to decrease speed within Windows Media Player, if you use other video formats - you can get Media Player Classic, that will manipulate speed in most other formats.

Now - capturing, video capture cards are good if you have Svideo or component cable options from the Camcorder, but it does take patience. My camcorder records in HD, so the sizes are huge for a 10 minute video, and I then have to convert the JVC format of TOD extensions to AVI before I manipulate in Adobe. They do have USB video capture devices that are mucher lower cost and work easily with most Svideo/Component and even Composite cable connections. You can get them at any Computer store, I know Pinnacle has 1 that is highly rated and I've purchased for a client or 2 in the past. The majority of the video editing will come from the computer itself, memory, memory, memory, get as much as you can afford. I have 4 GB memory in mine, and I sometimes wish I had more, just set the options in the program your using (if applicable) for memory or disk - adobe uses scratch disks, so it makes it easier to configure. Otherwise, get some coffee and go bowl a few games while your video is converting or producing.

My advice would be to start little - use Windows Movie Maker, then maybe move up to AutoProducer (more options), and if not enough, get adobe Premiere, there's many others out there, but I'm an Adobe guy,so I stick with what I know works. Also, doesn't matter what extension compression the source is in, you can convert it to any compression extension you want. WinAVI is a great tool for that. Stick with Divx, Mpeg and you'll have many options.

Streaming videos on your own website is best option, low cost - especially if you have your own web server, otherwise, you'll have to obide by the video storage website rules. Youtube is pretty open, but you get a lot of unnecessary comments from others and owning the video is a must - any video that has secondary images or video from unowned content will be removed. I have first hand experience of this. lol I forgot to remove the FoxSports logo on a 5 second video PIP content I added to a homemade video of my daughter when she was playing softball to make it look like she was playing in a major league stadium. It was a neat video, but only lasted 4 days.

Chats: 19

You're over my head on this one, man. The only advise I have for you is recording options. If you don't want to get too crazy, do you own an digital camera? I have the same problem you have. My video camera doesn't have a good way to transfer files to my computer, so if I know I want to transfer a video, I shoot the video with my digital camera's video feature. I have a cannon powershot 10 megapixel camera. It takes decent video, not on par with an actual video camera, but youtube video's quality normally stink anyway, so it works for my purposes.

I have a 4gb memory card, and that covers mostly everything I need it to cover.

It's just a thought.... My camera happens to use SD memory, and my computer has an SD memory slot built right into it. Failing that, I can use a USB cable.
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

MotionPro software - I'll check that out and do the research.

Wow - never thought about using Movie Maker. I've used it to splice together videos before so I'm somewhat familiar with its use. I know Adobe Premiere will do everything I want to do. Growing into that is great advice. Crawl before you walk, Jay and walk before you run. Just keep reminding me, gang

My camera is not a digital camera, it still records to tape. At this point in time, the wife and I have too many other priorities the prevent me from purchasing a digital video camera - especially since I have a perfectly healthy non-digital camera.

Video editing is one of the most CPU and memory intensive thing you can do with a computer.

Iceman, what operating system are you using? I ask because the OS might not be able to use the entire 4gb of memory you have.

Finally found it. The Camera came with MGI VideoWave III software and supposedly has the USB driver I need to pull video through USB. I'll keep you posted

Quote Originally Posted by JAnderson View Post
    Iceman, what operating system are you using? I ask because the OS might not be able to use the entire 4gb of memory you have.
    Funny question, I run Windows 2000 on 1 system, XP on 1, Even Vista on a R&D workstation. Mostly I do all my video or intensive editing (adobe products) on my Windows 2003 Server. It's a rack mount Raid 5, 10k RPM Drives, 4 GB memory (DDR 2 PC2700). I only use this for certain applications, not as a server - but it's a lot easier to tweak performance on Win2K3 for my use. BTW - I own a IT Consulting company so I'm up on the technology

The other workstations are Dual Core P4, 2 GB memory, Raid 10. Vista is a hog, and I don't suggest that even for my worst enemy, XP is alright but has it's memory issues but can use 2+ GB effectively. 2000 is still my workhorse. I run my business clients off of that system - but mostly RDP connections to them remotely.

Since your camera records to tape, lowest cost option will be get a USB video adapter as I mentioned above, the app that came with will work too for editing - better than Movie Maker will. If you can't find the USB adapter cable that came with camera, just get the USB Video adapter by Pinnacle. Easy to use and will work with ANY device that uses Svideo or Component cabling, unless you get the adapter with Svideo and Composite connectors. Just look for the RYW colors for composite and RGBWY colors for Component. Svideo is the funky plug as end users call it, but hell - I've heard USB ports called funky too from some of them. I still love the coffee tray that came with my computer about 8 years ago. I never laughed more at a client calling that time - they never called back after that conversation. Their coffee tray would not work anymore...turned out to be their CDROM tray would not eject after 15 minutes of trying to figure out what they were talking about.

My set up is quite simple and easy. In my opinion, one of the best capture devices on the market is the canopus ADVC110, you can find it doing a google search. Runs about $200. You connect your video/camera/dvd player, whatever to this via the inputs. Then the output connects to your computer via fire wire. I simply edit my videos using windows movie maker....a free software. This produces the video files needed to produce dvd's, our into .wmv to upload to youtube. You can check out my videos on youtube under "mrbowling300"

Good luck!
    www.mrbowling300.net High Game: 300 High Series: 833 (266-267-300), High Average 231 Equipment: Storm Hy-Road, DV8 Brutal Nightmare, DV8 Diva, Columbia White Dot.
    http://mrbowling300.com/mrb300avatar.gif

Quote Originally Posted by kakcpa View Post
    My set up is quite simple and easy. In my opinion, one of the best capture devices on the market is the canopus ADVC110, you can find it doing a google search. Runs about $200. You connect your video/camera/dvd player, whatever to this via the inputs. Then the output connects to your computer via fire wire. I simply edit my videos using windows movie maker....a free software. This produces the video files needed to produce dvd's, our into .wmv to upload to youtube. You can check out my videos on youtube under "mrbowling300"

Good luck!
    Exactly - simple to the point. I'm not known for my lamen terms

I own a IT Consulting company so I'm up on the technology
    Now I know! Otherwise, I wouldn't have mentioned the memory limit on certain OS. Like you, I have several systems at home that I've accumulated over the years of working in IT. Unfortunately, nothing too new, but I'm planning to build a home theater PC (HTPC) down the road with the processing power to do video editing.

Thanks for the help gang. The software that came with the camera includes a USB driver for it. I'm headed over to Fry's Electronics later today to pic up the correct USB cable (mini-connector on one end) for it. I'll see if that works first.

Otherwise, the Canopus looks like a good option if the camera's USB doesn't work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast