Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Teenage Bowler

Default New Teenage Bowler

Hello everyone,

I'm Taylor, I'm 17 years old, and I just got into bowling. I created a MONSTER when I asked my grandpa about his bowling leagues in Wisconsin before we moved to Indiana. I said I wanted to try bowling, he took me to the bowling alley, and we busted up a few house balls to figure out how I would throw. Turns out I can't throw a conventional ball, I have to use a fingertip, so we went to a store and bought me a decent ball (curse me, can't remember what it is right now), got it drilled...

I'm not exactly the strongest guy in the world, 14 lbs, and i couldn't throw that ball... I was throwing it like I had a conventional ball. Took 2 weeks to figure out how to throw. My average score up until two weeks ago was 80, now, it's 135. The most strikes I've had in one game is 6.

I guess it was a fair turn about. I brought back a monster, and my grandpa created one. He bought a Black Widow, and that thing can FLY.

But that's pretty much my little bowling life right there.

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Let me start by saying Welcome to BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums / Message Boards!!!

It is an honor to have you here and I am sure you will find the help and information that you need here.

And PLEASE TELL A FRIEND ABOUT US!!!
    Go Broncos!

I'll definitely be sure to let a couple friends know. I might even get my 46 year old grandpa on here with you guys. He's always interested in talking about his bowling.

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Quote Originally Posted by TJSieling View Post
    I'll definitely be sure to let a couple friends know. I might even get my 46 year old grandpa on here with you guys. He's always interested in talking about his bowling.
    OMG! He's so old! LOL! Welcome and I hope gramps joins, too. 17, huh? I've got t shirts older than you.

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kev3inp View Post
    OMG! He's so old! LOL! Welcome and I hope gramps joins, too. 17, huh? I've got t shirts older than you.

Wow you keep shirts that long? I have some corduroys pants.
    Go Broncos!

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Yeah, they're from concerts and vacations. My little trips down memory lane.

if you're keeping shirts that are older than me, i would think they would be worth some money and stuck in frames and hung on your wall...

Alright... this was this weekends scores... 156-111-186

so officially, 453 is where i'm at right now... I wouldn't think that was too bad seeing as people are happy with 500, which means i'm not too far off.

And with my tax returns this year, i'm going to start pumping a little bit of money into a new ball...

Do you guys recommend grip tape and any kind of glove to wear when you throw?

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries

You ask some great questions which I would say you need to ask in a bowling section like General Bowling and such for more replies.

But many may still see it here.

I use release tape and I have used wrist guards in the past. If I may ask, what are your goals that you are wanting to accomplish?
    Go Broncos!

My closest goal is to get my average up between 170 and 200. Seeing my average go from 80 to 135 so quickly, it seems like an accomplishable goal to me.

Any goals after that is what any bowler would want. That 300 ring. If I only get one in my lifetime, I would be happy, and I realize that takes a lot of work and i'm willing to practice.

I'll be sure to experiment with a couple tapes, especially the release tape, but I have to put a grip tape in the thumb hole, I can't hold onto the ball very well without holding it too tight and screwing up my throw a little.

but the thing that will help me get my average up that I cannot get down to save my life is how to pickup those big spares. the 10 pin for example... when that's the only one standing, i try so hard to kill the curve on my ball, but it doesn't help, i always miss it by at least 3 inches on the left or hitting the gutter a foot before the pin.

Finally looked at my ball... 14lb Ebonite Magnum blue/gold

not the greatest ball, but it's good enough for what i'm using it for. I'm hoping to aim at a Black Widow or tornado soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast