Thread: How Its Made - Bowling Pins

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default How Its Made - Bowling Pins

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I love these kinds of videos, but she calls the rings on the neck "decorative stripes"... They are there for the camera to determine which pins are still standing.
    Current Arsenal: Brunswick and Radical Bowling Balls (too many to list)
    Highest 13-14 Avg: ---H -- Highest 12-13 Avg: 155S 198H -- Highest 11-12 Avg: 180H
    Highest Sanctioned Game: 279 -- Highest Sanctioned Series: 798
    Spec Sheet

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CeKnauss View Post
    I love these kinds of videos, but she calls the rings on the neck "decorative stripes"... They are there for the camera to determine which pins are still standing.
    I never heard that before (Not to say that's not what they are or were for at some time), But I have seen solid color pins with no stripes and the camera see's them.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

I'm doing some searching to see where I saw it, but as I recall, the paint used in the neck is usually reflective to a certain spectrum of light (usually infrared) that allows the camera to more accurately read which pins are standing.

Edit: It seems as though this only applies to AMF machines. Brunswick machines have a flap that indicates to the machine which pins are still upright.
    Last edited by CeKnauss; 11-17-2013 at 10:23 PM.
    Highest 13-14 Avg: ---H -- Highest 12-13 Avg: 155S 198H -- Highest 11-12 Avg: 180H
    Spec Sheet

I wonder what the average life is for a bowling pin.
    BowlingVids.com -- USBC Tennessee (2204-27181) California (222-32895)

IndexGenie.com -- In The Bag --> Roto Grip Wrecker - Roto Grip Hyper Cell - Storm Polar Ice Hybrid

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CeKnauss View Post
    It seems as though this only applies to AMF machines. Brunswick machines have a flap that indicates to the machine which pins are still upright.
    Most of the modern machines use a infra red ball detector to show when the ball goes into the pin deck and use a CCD scanner camera to see which pins are standing.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by circlecity View Post
    I wonder what the average life is for a bowling pin.
    Most have said about 12-18 months average. The AMFLite Pinnacle pin's have a two-year/10,000 game warranty.

As a comparison Here's from the 1996 Brunswick Pin Care Manual when they used the MAX pins.

"Under normal conditions, with two sets of pins per pinsetter, a pin should last:
    -30 games per day 6 months
    -60 games per day 4 months
    -90 games per day 2 months"

That would be a busy house, that's a lot of games to do in a day.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 11-18-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Most of the modern machines use a infra red ball detector to show when the ball goes into the pin deck and use a CCD scanner camera to see which pins are standing.
    That's probably why I've heard different. Most of the houses here in Oklahoma that I bowl at use much older AMF pinsetters.
    Spec Sheet

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Is there AnYTHING???

Is there anything you haven't covered in the many years you have been here,,, I should have know!! LOL
    I liked mine better!! (
    Very interesting, I had no idea how much work goes into making the pins! I like the fist throw at the end,,, split!!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

very outdated way to manufacture something like a bowling pin - baseballs are the same way. They use 12 dozen per MLB game - 144 baseballs - that is crazy. Every time it touches the dirt = new ball. What a waste.

But these manufacturing facilities are one of the last ones to embrace new technology. I would assume in about 2-5 years they will make bowling pins and baseballs on 3D printers. There is so many possibilities of making these things way more efficient and consistent than they do (that are not 3D printers).