Thread: What's your preferred Surface Prep?

Question What's your preferred Surface Prep?

As I get deeper into bowling, I'm learning what surfaces on bowling balls work and don't work for me. I am curious though how others prefer their ball, be it sanded, polished, mixed, etc.

So far, I'm beginning to prefer 4000 sanded or high gloss polish, depending on the lane conditions. Rough buff and I are like fighting siblings. 500 sanded is good when I need the ball to read really early, but doesn't happen a whole lot. I also don't tent to keep OOB surfaces for very long.

Now it is your turn. What is your favorite surface prep. Why? What surface prep would you recommend to someone who couldn't find a good strike line (assuming moving hasn't been working or isn't conducive to the pattern.)?

(I'd do a poll, but there are too many possible combinations...)
    Current Arsenal: Brunswick and Radical Bowling Balls (too many to list)
    Highest 13-14 Avg: ---H -- Highest 12-13 Avg: 155S 198H -- Highest 11-12 Avg: 180H
    Highest Sanctioned Game: 279 -- Highest Sanctioned Series: 798
    Spec Sheet

Chats: 243

i have 2 balls at 2000 grit currently that i love and the other is 1500 polished that good for when things dry out

tried high gloss, and 4000 grit polished. They were a no go lol
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Chats: 16

I have my own ball spinner and Revivor oven, both I've used for over 2 years. I'm a speed dominant tweener, who throws around 15-16 mph. I have to recalculate my rev rate, due to my new release.

A quick history, I normally use sanded/dull balls. I tried a polished ball several years ago, but I was never satisfied with the way it hit. It was very unpredictable. Sometimes, it would go to long, sometimes, it would hook too soon, depending on the how much oil or whether or not it hit a dry spot. Of course, back then, I was not too consistent with my revs, release, and accuracy. I've really been working on my release and got more of a consistent release. I heard about the Hammer 1st Blood (Polished), being a great ball. I figured I would give it a try, though still hesitant. After bowling with it, I was convinced THAT was the ball for me. So I decided to polish one of my Hammer Taboo original to see if it would work.

I've tried the following...
    Hammer Taboo original @2000 grit & Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver @4000 grit - I used the Taboo when the lanes were oily, but it never really hit hard. Eventually, I would switch over to the Hammer B/S when the lanes would dry out. This ball would finish better. I often would try to skip the Taboo original and just play the Taboo B/S, for a better finish.

Hammer 1st Blood @1500 grit with Powerhouse Factory Finish polish, Hammer Blue/Silver @4000, & Hammer Taboo original @2000 grit with Powerhouse Factory Finish polish - Even though I have about 5 bowling balls, I only really like to carry 2. I used the 1st Blood & Taboo original. I used the Taboo when the lanes were oily, but shot Down & In. The ball would finish, but I wasn't really satisfied. When the lanes dried out, I would switch over to the 1st Blood. The 1st Blood would finish strong and allowed me some playing room. I would also often to skip the Taboo and play the 1st Blood whenever possible. Just last night, the lanes were oily, so instead of using my Taboo original, I would try to the Taboo B/S. It worked really well and finished strong. When the lanes dried out, I would go with the 1st Blood the rest of the night. I will probably try this combination (Taboo B/S & 1st Blood) for now to see how the combination works. I will probably like it, since the Taboo B/S was my favorite ball, prior to the 1st Blood.
    - Ed

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Equipment: Hammer 1st Blood (RICO Layout @1500 Polished), Hammer Taboo (RICO Layout @2000 Polished), Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver (RICO Layout @4000), Storm Natural Pearl, Hammer Razyr, Ebonite Maxim

League Average (THS): 207
    High Game Score: 279 (9 in a row)
    High 3 Game Series: 788

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
    Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Tweener)

Cranker
    Chats: 7

Right now my VOW is the first ball out of my bag on THS and it is OOB finish. Sport leagues and tournaments my balls are anywhere from 500 abralon no polish to 3000 with polish. I prefer polish as it has a little more flip in backend as oppose to dull. On oily surfaces I prefer a pourous ball like my neXus Soild at 500 abralon no polish.

Zothen

Blog Entries
    Chats: 6

For me, it has to be polished. With my rev rate, anything matte, or sanded just hooks too early. A little polish helps everything get down lane a little further, and makes it easier to control. With one hand, I'm still experimenting with what surface works best. I m may sand my Marauder a little, to see if I can get a better reaction.
    Trying not to suck, one day at a time.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I have dull, sanded, matte, polished, pearl and urethane. Most have OOB finish as I try to match the ball to the conditions. That way I always know what to expect.
    The exception is my pin up DV8 Hell Raiser Revenge. I have two and wanted one that I could use on our THS. I resurfaced 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 4000 then added 7 coats of high gloss polish. I can generally use it for the first six or seven frames before I run out of room depending on what lines are being played by others and who those others are.

Nights like tonight I will use my DV8 Reckless OOB is 500 with rough buff on a pearl cover to start. Laying down at 30 and breaking at 6 it's more than enough.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 0

The only finish I have on my urethane Blue Hammer is 4000 abralon and after each league night I clean it with Hook-it ball cleaner. After a certain point I have it brought back to out of box finish. At one time I was going to bring down the surface to 3000 abralon but changed my mind because the ball was going to the pocket so good with my rev rate and my speed. Like they say if it ain't broke don't fix it. Maybe somewhere down the line I will take it down to 3000 abralon just to see how it would work with my rev rate and speed. Maybe it would go to the pocket with a stronger hit and pin action.

Chats: 0

Really depends on the ball. On aggressive stuff I like a 500/1000 or 500/1500 surface, on medium balls I like a 500/2000 and my light oil balls I do a 500/1000/4000.

I don't like polished balls. A 4000 grit surface will still skid enough to get me through the oil, but is more controllable for me than polished. Just personal preference, with my style I guess.