Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boomer's Summer 24

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Default Boomer's Summer 24

New team - for summer we're joining another couple. Not quite sure how well that's going to work out. He's pretty chill - good bowler, ONLY down-and-in but if conditions are OK, he makes adjustments and can really score. She is one of those "I hit the pocket, I deserve a strike" kind of persons, with "pocket" defined INCREDIBLY widely. . . LOL We'll see. They're good people. . .

Week 1 - Other team got us to allow a sub for week 1 (kinda strange) because he wanted to bowl with a winter teammate before he left on a cruise or something. THAT was a logistical mistake as the sub went OFF on us . . . it was a fun mistake as that sub is one of THE nice guys so . . .

Not sure what's going on with me. I've been able to get TO the pocket but getting THROUGH the pocket seems to be the issue. Let's start with Mr. Teal . . .

Game 1 - stupid miss first frame, 3-6-7. After that, went OK, couple of heavy hits and missed one 4-pin but otherwise OK for 204. We lost the point by about 20. Their sub was just getting started.
    Game 2 - whiffed a 10. I NEED to change my inserts - way too big. NOT confident in them and it's causing me issues. Game was strike or nothing. . . 188. Lost the point - their sub was hitting it hard now, 259.
    Game 3 - started BAD. I tried to change from Teal to Zen and that was a mistake. I wanted to change to the Trouble-maker but the insert-ring came loose and then I couldn't get the IT in . . . so back to the Teal and clean from 4 on. 184. We lost all four.

Need to get my head in the game or something. . .

Avg: 204
    High Game: 300 (1) -- High Series (785)
    Mr. Teal (Rhino Pro 15#); Zen Master (15#); Trouble Maker (15#); Nova (15#); White Dot (16#)

Kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight

Ringer

Week 2 - nowhere to go but up. Yep - we started this week as the #18 team out of 18. We take on a brand new team with a 4-person average of 427. For perspective, our 4 person average (with a vacancy) is 717. That will change when my wife starts bowling (she took two weeks off to attend a meeting and then to fight a migraine) - we handed them 261 pins per game. :0

Game 1 - missed TWO 10-pins (one in the 12th so . . .) - this is going to be an ongoing theme. 210. I bowled fine, but our leadoff just couldn't get her head out of . . . well. We lost the point and were down 34.
    Game 2 - clean except for another 10-pin (I DID pick up one in the 9th so . . . small victories?) and punched out in the 10th to roll over the punchout pot. 192 and we won the point and just a tad over even for total.
    Game 3 - AGAIN with the 10-pin. Missed in the second frame. C'mon! - I did pick one up in the 6th. Their anchor (avg 149) bowled out his ARSE, hitting 247. Thankfully our leadoff was bowling her average; our second bowled great and it came to me, in the 10th frame. In my brain I was saying, "OK, this is the JOB, this is entirely what it's to be to be ANCHOR - do the job." We were up 4 and both of us were on a double. Head's up, baby! He went first (I was doing the scores so had an excuse, LOL) and struck. OK - I strike. Good. He then leaves a ring-10 and picks it up. I have to strike and get count - which I do, strike and ring-10. We win the point and total.

Felt good to DO MY JOB. Felt good for the team to stand up, overcome 261 pins of handicap and take 3 points. I think we're a good team and have potential to do something this season.

Now - about those 10-pins.

Mr. Teal (Rhino Pro 15#); Zen Master (15#); Trouble Maker (15#); Nova (15#); White Dot (16#)

Ringer

And we slid again - on a good note, I didn't miss any 10-pins. . . on the other hand it's because I didn't LEAVE any 10-pins, except there be a 7 pin to go with it. . .

Bowled a better team, with an even better sub. We still couldn't get out of our own way.

Game 1 - decided to focus on 10-pins during warm-up and since we shoot a full frame, each, I could then get a look at the pocket. Thought I had a good line but first three frames belied that belief. 3-10 (chopped), 4 (just whizzed by) and 3-4-6-7-10 . . . OK, move 2 boards and we're clean from then on. C'mon Boomer, let's bowl, please? We lost the point.

Game 2 - weird split - 3-4-7. Then blew a 3-6-10 in the 8th, ringing 7-10 in the 9th and a 3-7-10 (weird, right?) in the 10th. 154. But. . . we won the point.

Game 3 - start off good. little high for a 4, turkey, little light for a 4-7, double then a pocket 7-10, double and 4-7 again. 207. Game started close but their sub decided to really REALLY find himself. We lost game in the 8th frame and it was tight to total but it was juuuuust out of my reach.

Chats: 204

Given ya had 7 splits, I'd say ya actually did pretty well.

Ringer

Thanks - I could have done without them! LOL

Ringer

Week 4 - We CAN bowl . . .

My wife stayed home again - not feeling well. With all the rain we've been getting, and now the warm sun, allergies are KILLING us - add the seasonal cold and you get prime conditions for sinus infections and crap. Anyway - just the three of us. We bowled a REALLY good team - when Eddie (Leadoff) and Mike (anchor) get going, they're REALLY hard to beat. We got 76 pins. . .

Game 1 - started HOT in practice, continued hot for the first four frames then got slow for the next two. Not sure why. Moved a touch left and finished well at 183. Leadoff bowler went OFF (283 handicap) so we took first game. We beat them SCRATCH by three pins.

Game 2 - continued good - still throwing the Teal - 4 bagger, 3 pin, double then went really slow and left the 3-4-6-7-10. Bah. 220. Leadoff went +20 and her husband shot 250 - we took the point.

Game 3 - stayed good - but I'd been moving left and things were starting to be "squishy" - 4th left the same split (picked it up) then a 2-4, a 6-10, a 2-8-10 (missed) and then whiffed a 2-5. Punched after that for 206. We took the point plus total - going away.

This was a good week. They bowled good, but we were finally able to answer and answer hard. This discouraged them (they're really used to getting out ahead and then pounding it) and we were able to keep them down.

I LOVE bowling these guys. They are a FUN group to bowl with and they always push me to bowl better. I lined up against their anchor (Mike vs. Mike) and he's one of the best bowlers I know so keeping up with him, and beating him (scratch) 2 of the games and tying total is a BIG win for me.

High Roller

Seems odd that so many of us on here all struggle or do good in the same weeks...lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Seems odd that so many of us on here all struggle or do good in the same weeks...lol
    Heck yeah. This score and mine were almost identical (within 20 total pins).
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Ringer

LOL - that's actually kinda funny

Ringer

Finally - a good night for all of us and maybe: "Who needs sleep"

First - we rescued a pup from the shelter on Thursday. A grandpa decided to buy all the grandkids puppies for Easter . . . without talking to the parents first. Dum Dum Duuuuuum. Well, this one was going to go to the shelter if we didn't rescue her so . . . couldn't say no to a beautiful and sweet boxer pup. Now we have three and a half boxers and half a dane. . . it also means we aren't getting a ton of sleep. LOL

Bowling - we bowled another REALLY good team. Their leadoff is one of our best bowlers; his GF is not good but VERY consistent so she gets her HC all the time; their third can be if he gets his line and they have a vacant so he's REALLY consistent . . . we gave them 36.

Game 1 - started HOT with Mr. Teal for the first five, then left a 2-8 and chopped it. Then spared out for a 224. I moved to the Troublemaker to get a better reaction through the pins. We beat them by about 150 pins.
    Game 2 - weird. Things started to get squirrely not only for me but also for my wife. I lost all reaction - I checked that I wasn't chicken-winging it or anything . . . has to be me but I don't know what it was. Whiffed a 10 but otherwise was able to hold things together with a turkey and a ton of spares - 206. I moved to the Zen Master to see if that made a difference . . . No matter, we beat them by about 100 pins.
    Game 3 - You know what? Let's go back to the beginning. I noticed I wasn't posting anymore and . . . IDK. OK - back to Mr. Teal and let's just focus on posting. five-bagger, 7 pin, and out for 233. (did leave the 3-6-10 and whiffed the 3 . . . oh well) and we crushed them again by about 150.

Was a good night. I bet their leadoff a quarter a game plus total . . . loved the extra dollar! LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast