Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complete beginner video, any and ALL comments are very welcome!

Ringer
    Chats: 35

Cool Complete beginner video, any and ALL comments are very welcome!

Oh and to note, I'm going very slow in these videos as somewhere along the line I pretty much lost my ability to hook the ball (it does appear to hook a little in these videos but it's significantly less than when I first started trying to throw a hook). I have had a lesson, and some of stuff I'm still working on getting implemented (as I tend to forget sometimes), so I suspect some of the suggestions will be ones that were mentioned to me during my lesson.

(the first video was shot by a teammate during a frustrating league night so the angle is a bit different than the other ones where my phone was just propped up on one of my flipflops).

Ringer

Ringer

Ringer

Chats: 243

What ball are you using? Also how are the lanes at Kearney usually? Never bowled there myself...
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by e-tank View Post
    What ball are you using? Also how are the lanes at Kearney usually? Never bowled there myself...
    It's a used Ebonite Cyclone, so no idea how many games were on it when I bought it. Between league and practice, I probably have put about 120 - 150 games on it myself (gonna give it a bath using the hot water/dish soap method). I know it's an entry level ball so I'm not expecting to hook it 20 boards, but still I was able to get more backend reaction back when I had less of an idea of what I was doing LOL

I'd say the lanes are heavier oil, I've had other people comment to me that the lanes seem very oily, also they were just replaced prior to my league starting (probably in August) so the lanes are pretty new. I've been to your house, and the ball does tend to be easier to hook - it's just that I was able to hook more at KMB a month ago, I wish I had video from back then to see if I was doing something fundamentally different but unfortunately I don't.
    Last edited by zdawg; 11-25-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

You're at a pretty typical plateau/block that lot of the guys I coach hit when first learning to hook a ball correctly. There's a lot to work on but if I was coaching you I'd start with the following:

1) your wrist is breaking - look at your wrist position after you finish in the videos. You can learn proper wrist form with equipment aids. I'd HIGHLY suggest the Mongoose Lifter, I've had 4-5 different braces and got this one last week (from bowlingball.com #shamelessplug) and it was so useful that I barely use it... It just reinforced proper mechanics so well I didn't feel I needed one after a few games with it.

2) your arm swing (along with all of your mechanics really) needs to be MUCH looser. Look at how your arm sticks there. To me that says you're tense, and being tense in bowling is the worse thing you can do... Leads to gripping, being off balance, etc.

3) you're playing terrible lines for your style. Move wayyyyy outside and let your ball get aggressive. You're going up narrow lines where all the oil is like you're Tony Rucco. Move outside and relax - you'll throw faster, have better entry angle, and get more for your money on every shot.

4) either de oil that ball and then put a little surface on it to help it read earlier or alternatively go to an www.ibpsia.com certified pro shop and get fitted properly with a different ball. I'd be willing to bet your thumb is too loose for one thing.

Work with a coach man, you're at that point in the learning curve where it gets harder before it's easier but it DOES get better! Stick with it, you're almost there. Don't quit 5 minutes before the miracle happens.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by dnhoffman View Post
    You're at a pretty typical plateau/block that lot of the guys I coach hit when first learning to hook a ball correctly. There's a lot to work on but if I was coaching you I'd start with the following:

1) your wrist is breaking - look at your wrist position after you finish in the videos. You can learn proper wrist form with equipment aids. I'd HIGHLY suggest the Mongoose Lifter, I've had 4-5 different braces and got this one last week (from bowlingball.com #shamelessplug) and it was so useful that I barely use it... It just reinforced proper mechanics so well I didn't feel I needed one after a few games with it.

2) your arm swing (along with all of your mechanics really) needs to be MUCH looser. Look at how your arm sticks there. To me that says you're tense, and being tense in bowling is the worse thing you can do... Leads to gripping, being off balance, etc.

3) you're playing terrible lines for your style. Move wayyyyy outside and let your ball get aggressive. You're going up narrow lines where all the oil is like you're Tony Rucco. Move outside and relax - you'll throw faster, have better entry angle, and get more for your money on every shot.

4) either de oil that ball and then put a little surface on it to help it read earlier or alternatively go to an www.ibpsia.com certified pro shop and get fitted properly with a different ball. I'd be willing to bet your thumb is too loose for one thing.

Work with a coach man, you're at that point in the learning curve where it gets harder before it's easier but it DOES get better! Stick with it, you're almost there. Don't quit 5 minutes before the miracle happens.
    Thanks very much for the comments!

In response:

I did actually purchase the Mongoose lifter last week I just haven't used it much as I was afraid of becoming reliant on it (but I will now that you've confirmed my wrist issue - and I do purchase most of my stuff from bowlingball.com).

One of the things Mark Baker wanted me to do was increase my backswing which I thought I had done, but looking at this video I see you're right it does appear to be much shorter than it "feels" when I'm actually bowling. It makes sense if I loosen up than the swing should be much more free and most likely the length of the swing should increase?

By moving more outside, you mean more to the left correct? (sorry still learning all the terminology) Not sure who Tony Rucco is but I'll look him up And if I move farther left, should I still aim for my target (the 10 board)?

As for de-oiling, yes I'm gonna do the bucket hot water/soap thing. My league is getting close to the break, I was planning on buying a more reactive ball and going to a highly respected pro shop here in San Diego l chatted with the owner for a while the other day and like his reviews he is VERY knowledgeable and I trust him, and then this ball would then become my spare ball (I might also get a thumb insert because I do feel like the thumb is too big).

And yeah, I'm not a quitter so that's not an option (even if I get a little frustrated now and then) and thanks for all your help
    Last edited by zdawg; 11-25-2013 at 11:58 PM.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I mean moving to the right and letting your ball find dry sooner and read earlier.

On the shot you took the video on (it changes depending on the pattern/conditions) - The 10 board should be your break point but not necessarily your target. Look up some videos on 3 point targeting. I would almost have you throwing on the 7/8 board but that's getting ahead of yourself - your main problem (in my opinion at least) is relaxing your hand and arm swing.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by dnhoffman View Post
    I mean moving to the right and letting your ball find dry sooner and read earlier.

On the shot you took the video on (it changes depending on the pattern/conditions) - The 10 board should be your break point but not necessarily your target. Look up some videos on 3 point targeting. I would almost have you throwing on the 7/8 board but that's getting ahead of yourself - your main problem (in my opinion at least) is relaxing your hand and arm swing.
    Ok thanks, I'll play around a bit tomorrow moving to the right and try to shoot some more video, also I'll try and focus on relaxing my hand and swing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast