Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you don't see much anymore!!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Things you don't see much anymore!!

Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post
    holey crap,,, is that a ,,,, bunny and dog in the bush togerther???
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

lol, it's funny on so many different levels

Chats: 0

I see red x's all the time

Chats: 204

What about the old coin operated ball polishers? I still see them…but they used to be at EVERY alley.

Or what about the single ball bags with the metal frames like this:

I still have one…wood bottom with the metal frame that holds the ball. Classic.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Ringer

I'll tell you what, that old Luster King got me a 300 in a tournament once.
    Ball speed: 17 - 18.5 mph Rev rate: 400ish
    PAP 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
    13° axis tilt / 30°-60° axis rotation
    Thumbless bowler
    High game: 300 High series: 804 High average: 217

Cranker

Pay phones... Nope couldn't tell you where one is nowadays

I got a Brunswick single ball arrier with the metal frame and wood bottom!! Its a Rhino branded bag to go with my old Urethane Rhino...and the lanes I bowl on have a Luster King.....no pay phone though...

Blog Entries

Default Things you don't see much of any more.... sad!!!

Yes, everybody wants CASH $$$$$$$$$! Don't see many trophies any more... so many things we don't see anymore that ICEMAN seen a lot of when he was your age!! Another thing,,, "they don't make em like they use 2, for better in some cases, and worst in others!!

Last edited by MICHAEL; 08-26-2014 at 08:39 AM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 204

The emergence of roller bags is interesting.

Back in the 80s...the vinyl/leather single ball bags started to go away in favor of shoulder bags bad out of the standard material. Same thing happened with hockey bags a bit earlier...they used to be like mostly canvas with just hand loops. But then...emergence of the "shoulder strap" and thats how things were through the 90s.

Somewhere along the lines...as we approached the new millenium...roller suitcases showed up (many youngsters nowadays don't realize all suitcases back in the day just had handles...wheels came much later. And I remember playing hockey and lugging around this massively heavy hockey bag...and thinking, "Why don't they make roller bags for hockey?" Then one day, back in the early 2000s...our goalie (older guy) showed up carrying his hockey bag on a 2-wheel dolly. Nowadays...we have roller bags. Same thing with bowling...went from shoulder straps to eventually roller bags. Paintball? Roller bags.

But here's the negative side effect (besides people becoming weaker from not carrying heavy bags)...the bags got HEAVIER!! We never had a huge issue at airports with heavy bags...until it became so easy to roll them to the airport. You never had bowlers carrying 6-7 balls to the alley...until you had roller bags which made that one trip from the car. And even hockey bags...you used to just take the equipment you needed...nothing more...because it was too God awful heavy...now people carry around their equipment plus a bunch of other equipment and on occasion a case of beer.

It's kinda like the arguement against better protective equipment leading to more reckless play (hockey, football, lacross, etc...)...as we've tried to limit the ergonomic burden by creating things that bear more of the weight (shoulder straps, rollers on bags)...the end user has countered that by adding massively more weight. To the point now...where it may be easier to carry those 6 bowling balls from you car to the alley...but ya nearly throw your back out putting them in and out of you car/truck.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast