Thread: Open Bowling a challenge

Default Open Bowling a challenge

I went open bowling the other day to work on my spare shooting. Everything was going great until the lanes started to fill up and then tons of little kids were running around. Parents with cameras and using the flash. They also would use those ball ramps with 4-5 kids standing there screaming as the ball takes 4 minutes to bounce down there.

It was somewhat nerve racking but I could see it helping with concentration.

I'm sure others have worse stories than this...
    BowlingVids.com -- USBC Tennessee (2204-27181) California (222-32895)

IndexGenie.com -- In The Bag --> Roto Grip Wrecker - Roto Grip Hyper Cell - Storm Polar Ice Hybrid

Ringer
    Chats: 0

I just don't even feel like I belong there under those circumstances. I feel like I am invading on their territory. That's why I prefer to practice Sunday morning when I'm supposed to be in church or after 9pm during the week even though the lanes are pretty toasty then. Plus it's way cheaper during those hours. Does your bowling center have times where practice is cheap?
    Ball speed: 17 - 18.5 mph Rev rate: 400ish
    PAP 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
    13° axis tilt / 30°-60° axis rotation
    Thumbless bowler
    High game: 300 High series: 804 High average: 217

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Iron Work Made ME WHAT I AM TODAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by circlecity View Post
    I went open bowling the other day to work on my spare shooting. Everything was going great until the lanes started to fill up and then tons of little kids were running around. Parents with cameras and using the flash. They also would use those ball ramps with 4-5 kids standing there screaming as the ball takes 4 minutes to bounce down there.

It was somewhat nerve racking but I could see it helping with concentration.

I'm sure others have worse stories than this...
    YOU are right on, in my opinion!!

I think one of the things that helps me in bowling is my incredible amount of focus, and concentration! Having been an Iron Worker for almost 30 years, walking the high Iron, you develop an in creatable amount of focus! Your life depends on it!

Many times while walking the iron hundreds of feet up in the sky, many other things are going on around you! Loud, noises, from all directions at constructions sites

When I bowled my last 300 game, a dork next to me in the 8 frame, walked up and delivered his ball at the same time I did! Almost looked like he was mirror me! All my team mates took a deep breath thinking it would stop my string of strikes.

Funny thing, it didn't faze me at all! I think my years of Iron Work, and the incredible amount of focus, and concentration it took just to keep from falling off a building comes to play in bowling!

You might be right,,, sooooooooo many little things seem to effect most bowlers,,,,, , that don't faze Iron Mike, (as they call me at the bowling lanes) lol

So bowling under those conditions with kids screaming, bouncing balls, ect ect ect... Might pay off!

If fact that might be a great business to get into! (Rent A Distraction) charge according to just how much of a distractions you want,,,, one really annoying kid,,,, or dozens, maybe a loud drunk,,, Or someone dressed up like a clown singing Christmas carols, while blowing soap bubbles!!
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 11-29-2013 at 11:04 AM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
    I just don't even feel like I belong there under those circumstances. I feel like I am invading on their territory. That's why I prefer to practice Sunday morning when I'm supposed to be in church or after 9pm during the week even though the lanes are pretty toasty then. Plus it's way cheaper during those hours. Does your bowling center have times where practice is cheap?
    That day was a special $1.69 a game. I also got 10% off that for being in a league. Most of their usual rates are about par with other centers.

IndexGenie.com -- In The Bag --> Roto Grip Wrecker - Roto Grip Hyper Cell - Storm Polar Ice Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    If fact that might be a great business to get into! (Rent A Distraction) charge according to just how much of a distractions you want,,,, one really annoying kid,,,, or dozens, maybe a loud drunk,,, Or someone dressed up like a clown singing Christmas carols, while blowing soap bubbles!!
    hahah you might be on to something

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Sometimes I ask to be put on a lane next to a ridiculous bunch or some kids when I go into practice just to practice tuning the other lane out.