Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at ball spinners. What should I look for?

Chats: 4

Default Looking at ball spinners. What should I look for?

I am strongly considering the Innovative Bowling Personal Ball Spinner, but I've also come across similar spinners from Donkee and Vertex. They are in the same price range ~$200-220 + shipping. Anybody have any insight to share about these brands/models? Any others?

Also, the Innovative spinner has a $20 option to use a 1/2HP motor instead of 1/3HP. Is there a practical difference? I could see it if we were talking power tools that cut wood, but the extra power seems a little unnecessary for surfacing. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Any other features to consider? Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Ball spinner is worth its weight in GOLD!

I have had mine now for over a year! I have a several threads on the subject, check them out if you like! I use mine to not only resurface balls, but to do a hell of a job of cleaning them, and putting polish on.

Help keep your balls in great condition!! Get a spin!

http://www.bowlingball.com/products/...rse-Power.html

this is the one I purchased, and its fantastic!!!!
    http://shop.innovativeballspinner.co...oot-Switch.htm
    http://www.innovativeballspinner.com/videos.htmlhttp://www.innovativeballspinner.com/videos.html

also get the foot switch,,, it makes the whole process much,, MUCH easier,, I have one!
    I purchased the 1/3 and it fulfills my needs! very happy with the quality!
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 11-30-2013 at 09:15 AM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Innovative makes about the best spinner going.

Mines a tub mount with a 1/3HP motor. I've had it for 17 years and it's still going strong.

If you were doing a proshop I'd get 1/2HP, but at home 1/3hp would be fine.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Just get a 1/3 hp, non-tub mount and put it in a big Rubbermaid-like storage bin (that's what I did, works fine).

You'll also need a spray bottle for water and a Home Depot/lowes bucket ($3).

Innovative and Vertex both make great products at comparable price points, but I found the Donkee to be too expensive when I researched them about six months ago.

I went with a package from Vertex, with no foot pedal. If you want a foot pedal there are cheaper places online to buy one.

I'd say from my experience with Vertex and others with Innovative, you can't go wrong with either one. I love having one at home and use it all the time. Between that and my cheap and easy DIY de-oiler, I keep my teammates and my gear in great shape. Highly recommend!

Buying the spinner and putting it in a good size Rubbermaid is a good idea if you want to save some money without getting the tub option with it. I was thinking about putting it in a good size cardboard box but it depends on if you will be using some kind of liquid on your ball. If it is just dry work like sanding the cardboard would be okay. Keeps the dust and grime from getting on you and your work area.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Buying the spinner and putting it in a good size Rubbermaid is a good idea if you want to save some money without getting the tub option with it. I was thinking about putting it in a good size cardboard box but it depends on if you will be using some kind of liquid on your ball. If it is just dry work like sanding the cardboard would be okay. Keeps the dust and grime from getting on you and your work area.
    ESP your LUNGS!! Keep things wet, when sanding for that reason alone!! Good ventilation is important for chemical uses also!
    Last edited by bowl1820; 11-30-2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Fix bb code
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Wearing a dust mask while sanding is something you can't forget about.

Chats: 4

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like they are all about equal for the money.

I completely forgot about the dust that comes from working on the ball. The pro shop guys are always wearing good respirators or dust masks. Good tip!

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Wearing a dust mask while sanding is something you can't forget about.
    I never do this and have trouble breathing afterwards when I resurface a ball. REALLY need to grab one and throw it down in my shop.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

respirators and dust masks? What's with all the dry sanding?

Every pro shop I've been in used wet sanding. beside keeping the dust down, your pads and paper will last longer and cut better.

And most all home spinner instructions with tell you to use a spray bottle or at least dunk your pad/papers in a bucket of water as you sand.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast