Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chris Barnes has no "A" game

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Default Chris Barnes has no "A" game

Chris Barnes has no "A" game and I don't mean that as an insult at all. It's just that I can't think of any other bowler on tour that doesn't appear to have a favorite way of delivering the ball.

I don't think Chris Barnes has a favorite pattern or a favorite way of releasing the ball. He is simple so good at every type of release that it's impossible to say he's better at one thing than another. He can throw the ball hard or soft. He can go up the back of the ball or around it. He can play first arrow or fifth arrow and he can switch from one style to another in one frame with no apparent effort.

I don't know how he does it. How can he be playing fourth arrow with one ball, going around it and throwing with medium speed, and then in one shot change balls, release, speed and line and immediately have a good line to the pocket!

I remember his struggles in closing out matches on TV in the past and I often wondered if it was because he had so many tools in his arsenal that when he got nervous he would accidentally let one of his other "tools" slip in at the wrong time.

Anyway, he seems to have his sh!t together now. He was very impressive on TV today. ANYONE watching him today would have to come away with a new appreciation of just how great the pros are compared to us mere mortals.
    Ball speed: 17 - 18.5 mph Rev rate: 400ish
    PAP 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
    13° axis tilt / 30°-60° axis rotation
    Thumbless bowler
    High game: 300 High series: 804 High average: 217

Cranker

Agreed. One of the best bowlers I've ever seen mechanically speaking and just seems it be able to do everything in the sport well.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
    Chris Barnes has no "A" game and I don't mean that as an insult at all. It's just that I can't think of any other bowler on tour that doesn't appear to have a favorite way of delivering the ball.

I don't think Chris Barnes has a favorite pattern or a favorite way of releasing the ball. He is simple so good at every type of release that it's impossible to say he's better at one thing than another. He can throw the ball hard or soft. He can go up the back of the ball or around it. He can play first arrow or fifth arrow and he can switch from one style to another in one frame with no apparent effort.

I don't know how he does it. How can he be playing fourth arrow with one ball, going around it and throwing with medium speed, and then in one shot change balls, release, speed and line and immediately have a good line to the pocket!

I remember his struggles in closing out matches on TV in the past and I often wondered if it was because he had so many tools in his arsenal that when he got nervous he would accidentally let one of his other "tools" slip in at the wrong time.

Anyway, he seems to have his sh!t together now. He was very impressive on TV today. ANYONE watching him today would have to come away with a new appreciation of just how great the pros are compared to us mere mortals.

Mere mortals.... NOT ICEMAN!!! LOL I am immoral!!! LOL #@^$#@!!!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Cranker

Chris Barnes plays sport patterns though... Advantage: Barnes.

Chats: 39

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
    My guess would be tens of thousands of hours of practice
    Company League Average: 198.1
    City League Average: 186.5
    WTBA Sport pattern League Average: 172.9
    Current Arsenal: Roto Grip Nomad Pearl, Wrecker, and Hyper Cell; Track 920A and 505A; Storm Tropical Breeze; Plastic Spare Ball

Virtually every knowledgeable coach will tell you without hesitation that Chris Barnes is the best bowler on the planet, without question. I tend to agree with the statement questioning his struggles with "closing the deal" and suggesting that he may have so many tools at his disposal that he could have been confusing himself in clutch situations.

At one point when I was working on an article for BTM, I figured out that with my own personal stable of adjustments in combination, it could take me 9 1/2 games to get lined up. Perhaps that's why advocate learning to use ball changes quickly and effectively.

Rob Mautner

Chats: 1

I agree. Chris Barnes is the man. Isn't that the goal? to master every aspect of the art. It is one thing to have a main effective tool that works in most situation with the ability to tweak as needed and quite another to effectively use the right tool for the right situation.

I want to be like him when I grow up.
    I live by three simples rules:

1. Don't ever ask about my business
    2. Never discuss business at the table
    3. Don't ever side with anyone against the family

Chats: 204

I don't know if I agree that everyone should emulate him because he's mechanically superior. Last time I checked there were still 5-10 pro bowlers with better stats in the PBA. I just think his style is "easier" to emulate because there aren't as many "quirks". But emulating is also about body type, etc...

What I like about Chris Barnes (I'd say my 3rd favorite bowler) is he is incredibly smart. His intelligence about the game blows the rest of the PBA out of the water. He can explain every term, every pattern, every motion...and not just explain it...but give very technical advice.

The "downside" to Chris Barnes is the pants. I just can't cheer for a bowler wearing lime green slacks. There's no reason for that unless you lost a bet.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Virtually every knowledgeable coach will tell you without hesitation that Chris Barnes is the best bowler on the planet, without question. I tend to agree with the statement questioning his struggles with "closing the deal" and suggesting that he may have so many tools at his disposal that he could have been confusing himself in clutch situations.

At one point when I was working on an article for BTM, I figured out that with my own personal stable of adjustments in combination, it could take me 9 1/2 games to get lined up. Perhaps that's why advocate learning to use ball changes quickly and effectively.

Rob Mautner
    ^^^^^^ THIS...... but also we don't even need coaches to tell us who is the best bowler in the world. its easy to figure out just by knowing who really is.
    Last edited by YODA; 01-16-2014 at 07:10 PM.
    Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com

I am a proud winner of a Bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by YODA View Post
    ^^^^^^ THIS...... but also we dont even need coaches to tell us that he is the best bowler in the world. its easy to figure out just by knowing who he is.
    I totally don't understand what that means. Isn't the measure of the "best bowler in the world" a matter of lifetime average, titles, earnings, etc...??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast