Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is PDW a "**ck"?

Chats: 204

Question Is PDW a "**ck"?

I realize that being a celebrity...even if it is a relatively unknown celebrity for those outside of bowling...leads to some serious a wholish tendencies...but the more I watch PDW...the more I think he's really a douchebag.

Belmo is my least favorite because of the water bottle thing...but after watching PDW yell at the camera guy...then yell at a fan repeatedly...then recently I saw the clip where he blamed his bad shot on the "commercial break". I mean, wow...is it just me or is this guy kinda a bunghole?? Geez. Makes me respect guys like Parker Bohn III even more. I like guys that seem like they'd be down to Earth dudes...without mega-egos...maybe with a splash of sportsmanship and respect. I don't even like it when bowlers refuse to watch the other guy bowl...I get it...it's part of their routine...but in most leagues...people are congratulating not just their teammates...but the opponents as well for nice shots, etc... Then you watch the pros and it seems like almost a "hostile environment".

I can understand that sometimes something can mess with your shot...especially screwing around with a water bottle when your opponent is on their approach. But it just seems like PDW always has an "excuse" for every time he messes up...and it's always somebody else's fault.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

I am not a fan of his when he is bowling. very overbearing and 'prima-donna'

But I watched a video of a tourney where he was comenting and it was great seemed like a good guy in that format.

Personally I am not a fan of over the top celebrations (hip thrust chop move thing he does) during the game I understand it after the game.

Also not a fan of the times where guys yell/talk to their opponents. Some people are worse with this(PDW/Rash off the top of my head) but I was surprised to see Chris Barnes do it during the Viper championship over the weekend.
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Chats: 243

I heard hes actually a very nice guy. I dont mind his antics and i find it refreshing considering how uptight bowling tends to be. Not to mention every time he does something controversial, its always in high pressure situations so wouldnt you get mad if something other than yourself screwed you up?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Nah, he's a perfectly nice guy. He takes his bowling very seriously and does expect others to respect the pros and not carelessly cause distractions. And a lot of it is for show. I've seen him in person a few times and he always seemed like a decent guy off the lanes.
    Ball speed: 17 - 18.5 mph Rev rate: 400ish
    PAP 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
    13° axis tilt / 30°-60° axis rotation
    Thumbless bowler
    High game: 300 High series: 804 High average: 217

Chats: 204

I'd like to see pro bowling more like regular bowling where they're having beers and checking out women...maybe watching a football game on the monitors. I don't want it to be "uptight"...hey, do a touchdown dance after every strike if ya want. But man...some of these guys act like their NFL wide receivers or Alan Iverson or something. You're just bowlers!! Go bowl and have fun! And if the guy you are bowling against gets a brooklyn strike...congratulate him on his luck...don't sigh and hold your chin up and make some snide comment.

I mean...I'm still surprised Rash didn't punch Belmo over the water bottle nonsense. I'd have punched him. Or threw my ball at him. Or at least threw a water bottle at him or something. And even if I got fined or suspended....I'd be the first PBA bowler on national tv to punch an opposing player...instant fame!!

I don't know. I think the pros need to find away to add a little emotion and fun...without that emotion fun turning into "pre-madonna" BS. I mean, even if a fan is annoying you...he's a "fan". He actually paid money to sit in some crappy stands at a bowling alley just to watch two guys bowl. Maybe walk over and politely "ask" him if he could not move and explain why it bothers you and offer him an autographed photo as your appreciation. Is that so "crazy"? Doesn't that project better than stopping and staring and pointing and acting like a baby? I think so.

Now...if the fan is doing it on purpose...then he's in the same boat as Belmo. But you're telling me the camera person was intentionally flashing PDW to "mess with him"? Dude needs to chillax.

PDW Rules!! Maybe they should all be like robots with no personality like Chris Barnes.
    BowlingVids.com -- USBC Tennessee (2204-27181) California (222-32895)

IndexGenie.com -- In The Bag --> Roto Grip Wrecker - Roto Grip Hyper Cell - Storm Polar Ice Hybrid

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I realize that being a celebrity...even if it is a relatively unknown celebrity for those outside of bowling...leads to some serious a wholish tendencies...but the more I watch PDW...the more I think he's really a douchebag.

in most leagues...people are congratulating not just their teammates...but the opponents as well for nice shots, etc... Then you watch the pros and it seems like almost a "hostile environment".
    I've heard some people say that Pete is a nice guy off the lanes, and I have a friend who met him at a tournament in 1998 who swears that Pete is a complete a**. I think however that his antics in competition are an act, much the way professional wrestlers take on a ring persona.

As for the professional environment it is hostile. It's a zero sum game where, if you don't make the stepladder, you probably didn't cover all your expenses. Back in the 70s, 80s, & 90s a pro could make a decent living if he cashed most weeks and made a few TV shows.
    John

I personally cannot answer that question about PDW; all I ever seen of PDW is on television. From what I can gather, PDW is an awesome bowler to say the least. He's emotional, vocal, brash, speaks his mind; basically he doesn't have much of a "filter" when he's bowling. Does he irritate some people? Does he seem confrontational to some? Does he rub some people the wrong way? He does what he does and I commend him for that; I may not agree with all of his actions and/or comments; but I can respect his bowling skills and the path he has chosen.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums
    In the bag: DV8 (Misfit, Zombie), Roto Grip (Disturbed, Wrecker), Storm (Hy-Road Pearl, Ice, IQ Tour Pearl, Sync, Tropical Breeze)
    High league game: 256. High league series: 618 PAP: 3 1/2" over 1" up

Cranker
    Chats: 0

No, he's competitive.

Chats: 221

IPete's a good guy on and off the lanes. His antics on tv are just that ,antics. The PBA felt they needed a "bad boy" for ratings and picked PRYR to be it. As for the commercial breaks go see what happens to your rythm if you take a 10 minute break during practice if you're on a string of ftrikes. I'll tell you, IT SUCKS

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast