The Sigma Core really put MOTIV on the map a few years ago when it first came out. Due to the core’s versatility and predictability the original Sigma Tour was the “Go To” ball on tough tournament conditions for competitive bowlers. MOTIV took this popular, proven core, and paired it with what most would say is the most successful cover to date (Fusion Pearl Reactive – first seen on the Primal Scream) and you have the best of both worlds.

I drilled my Sigma Sting with my favorite layout, 60* x 5” x 40*. I am a somewhat rev-dominant player, with a rev rate of 400, and a launch ball speed of about 18mph. The first thing I noticed is that the Sting was stronger than I was originally anticipating. In fact, for me, the Sting hooked 3 to 5 boards more than the Primal Rage (The Redball). The difference was in the mid-lane read. The Sting picks up earlier and has more continuation through the back portion of the lane. This difference is no due to the low RG Sigma Core.

Here is a video where I compare the Sigma Sting to several other MOTIV bowling balls on the 39 foot WTBA Seoul Pattern.

The Sigma Sting is a perfect compliment to the other recent MOTIV releases. Even though it has the same cover as the Cruel Intent, Tribal and Primal Rage, the shape of the hook is completely different. This is just what you want – bowling balls that go through the pins in different ways to optimize your carry percentage.

For me the best time to use the Sigma Sting is when I’m looking to blend out the pattern a bit. When the back-ends are a bit unpredictable, the Sting gives me my best look. The tougher the pattern, the more play my Sigma Sting sees. I am able to control the pocket really well on fresh oil with this ball as it seems to stay in the pocket zone longer than the other balls in my arsenal. When I need to make a big jump inside and open up my angles, I’ll switch to my Tribal or Rage.

--Kevin Gallagher—
PBA Member
MOTIV Staff