Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: any one collect sport cards?

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by noeymc View Post
    not sure how you said sanders was better then brown Jim brown is ranked the 1 football player lol even sanders dad said brown was better then him
    1) Barry Sanders's dad is a ****ing moron.

2) Barry played in the modern era, Jim Brown and Walter Peyton did not. They were both great for their time, and could have been stars even in the modern era…but they couldn't do what Barry could do.

Barry Sanders:
    - Won the Heisman trophy in his Junior and final seasons at OKST.
    - Established 34 NCAA records
    - He holds the national college single-season rushing record with 2,628 rushing yards in 1988.
    - In 1988, Sanders won the Heisman Trophy while attending Oklahoma State University.
    - In 2008, Sanders was ranked #2 in ESPN's list of the Top 25 Greatest College Football Players Ever.
    Professional
    - In the 1989 NFL draft, he was selected in the 1st round (3rd overall) by the Detroit Lions.
    - Sanders led the NFL in rushing yards four times. 1990, 1994, 1996, and 1997.
    - Most Seasons, 1,100 or More Yards Rushing (10) tied with Walter Payton
    - Most Consecutive Seasons, 1,100 or More Yards Rushing (10)
    - Most Seasons, 1,300 or More Yards Rushing (9) tied with Walter Payton
    - Most Seasons, 1,400 or More Yards Rushing (7)
    - Most Consecutive Seasons, 1,400 or More Yards Rushing (5) tied with Emmitt Smith, 1991–1995
    - Most Seasons, 1,500 or More Yards Rushing (5)
    - Most Consecutive Seasons, 1,500 or More Yards Rushing (4)
    - In 1997, he set an NFL record by rushing for at least 100 yards in 14 consecutive games and became only the third player to reach 2,000 yards in a single season. He shared the NFL MVP award with Brett Favre.
    - During the final 14 games of the 1997 season Sanders rushed for exactly 2000 yards on 310 carries (6.5 yd./carry), a figure which bears comparison with O.J. Simpson's 14-game mark of 2003 yards on 332 carries (6.0 yd./carry).
    - Each of his 10 years from 1989 through 1998 he was first- or second-team All-Pro and selected to the Pro Bowl.
    - Over his professional football career, he rushed for at least 100 yards in 76 games, just short of Walter Payton's 77 games and Emmitt Smith's 78 games.
    - NFL record 25 games in which Sanders rushed for 150 yards or more. Jim Brown is second with 22 games
    - NFL record 46 games in which Sanders had 150 yards from scrimmage or more. Walter Payton is second with 45.
    - 15 career touchdown runs of 50 yards or more, most in NFL history. Jim Brown is second with 12.
    - At the time of his retirement, Sanders' 15,269 career rushing yards placed him second behind Walter Payton's 16,726 yards. At Sanders' then-current yearly yardage pace, he would have eclipsed Payton within one or two years. Payton died from liver cancer at age 45 just months after Sanders' sudden retirement.
    - His 18,190 career yards from scrimmage place him sixth on the all-time list.
    - His career average of 5.0 yards per rushing attempt (min. 1500 att) is second all-time for running backs. Jim Brown is first with a 5.2 career average.
    - His career rushing yards per game average of 99.8 yards is second in NFL history behind only Jim Brown's 104.3 yards per game.

- In 1999, he was ranked number 12 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players, making him the highest-ranking Lions player and the third highest ranked running back, behind Jim Brown and Walter Payton.
    - On January 31, 2004, he was elected into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
    - On August 8, 2004, he was inducted to the Hall of Fame along with Bob Brown, Carl Eller, and John Elway.

Many people rank him behind Peyton and Brown. I'd put him in the top 5 with those 2 guys, Gayle Sayers, and LaDanian Tomlinson…maybe Emmit Smith somewhere in there as well. Me personally, I think he's #1. Brown and Peyton were harder to stop because they were bigger and stronger and playing against smaller players. But neither of them could do what Barry could do in the open field. He and Jim Brown are top 2 in about 5 records…so it might be semantics…but don't listen to his crack smoking father…Barry is the greatest I've ever seen with a football in the open field.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    1)
    - In 1988, Sanders won the Heisman Trophy while attending Oklahoma State University.
    Thats the most important thing to me OSU where I just happen to be attending right now
    For that reason alone I will have to go with Sanders

Chats: 204

The amazing thing about OKST during that time…was that Barry was the BACK-UP running back to Thurman Thomas. Now, that seems silly NOW…but people need to remember that Thurman Thomas was a top 10 ALL TIME RB as well. That backfield was probably better than any other tandem in college history.

Also…I gotta put an asterisk (*) by ANY RB…Jim Brown or even my Barry Sanders…because all of this needs to be put in the context that "HAD BO JACKSON NOT BEEN INJURED"…Bo Jackson could have easily been better than Barry or Jim Brown. He had the Jim Brown/Walter Peyton body type but the speed of a Sayers, Dorsett, Herschel Walker. He may not have had the lateral moves of a Barry or Emmit…but Bo Jackson was very special. Thats why I say I think Tomlinson "could have been" better than Sanders…because Tomlinson had near Barry moves…but more power and was an much better pass receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Also…I gotta put an asterisk (*) by ANY RB…Jim Brown or even my Barry Sanders…because all of this needs to be put in the context that "HAD BO JACKSON NOT BEEN INJURED"…Bo Jackson could have easily been better than Barry or Jim Brown.
    ok what if jim browns replacement at college ernie davis never got lukemia

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123