Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats up dudes??? I'm wanting to purchase a 3rd ball and DEFINITELY need help!

Default Whats up dudes??? I'm wanting to purchase a 3rd ball and DEFINITELY need help!

I've decided I want a 3rd ball. I really love the way my 15lb Storm Street Rod hits, but often times it just hooks to hard and I find my self muscling it down the lane to try to get it further down before it hooks. I also have a 12lb Ebonite Cyclone (**** it could be 13, I'm not sure anymore now that I think of it) that I have a lot less trouble getting down the lane but doesn't break nearly as hard when it hits.

The Ebonite is lighter with a 4000 Grit Abralon Polished finish and has the Cyclone Torque core, while the Storm is heavier with a 2000 Reactor Grit finish and the Turbine core.

The last time I rolled it was the usualy story that least several times I have rolled hitting on the left or to dead on the center and breaking a hole in the middle and leaving a huge split lol Then I was like what the hell and broke out my Ebonite just to see if I could do better with it and ended up with a 239 I think. Jumped up like 100 pins that game. I usually use that ball for my spares, but i'm thinking of making it my main ball for now, unless the lanes are pretty heavy on the oil and it's not hooking.

So which way do you think I should go for a new ball? I should add I'm a two hander.

I just feel more control with the 12lb ball. I only weigh about 135 lbs, 5'4. I workout so, i'm not a weakling or anything really, but I also don't have as much weight or swing to generate the ball speed I need to get that Street Rod to carry far enough.
    I'm kinda considering maybe getting a second Cyclone, but stick with a 15 (or maybe drop to a 14). It would just be nice to not feel like I have to force it to get it to carry far enough before breaking. Like a ball that was still heavy enough to bash the pins, but at the same time I can throw it comfortably and follow the same line or close to the same line as my 12lb Cyclone. I'm wondering if the DV8 Misfit might be a good one to try, if I can keep a 15 and throw it naturally.

I suppose I could try having my Street Rod polished, but then it wouldn't have the bite it still has when the lanes are oily.
    Last edited by LastCallKillit; 12-19-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Chats: 243

I think a 14lb misfit or cyclone would be a good option especially for being a two hander. Might want to check into balls with a pearl coverstock like the hyroad pearl for example. Depending how wet the lanes usually are, you could take the street rod up to 4000 grit and see how it works for you.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Quote Originally Posted by e-tank View Post
    I think a 14lb misfit or cyclone would be a good option especially for being a two hander. Might want to check into balls with a pearl coverstock like the hyroad pearl for example. Depending how wet the lanes usually are, you could take the street rod up to 4000 grit and see how it works for you.
    Thanks for the advice. I haven't polished any of them yet. A soooo when you take it to the pro shop for polishing is that what they are doing, changing the finish? or simply polishing the ball? If I could go 4000 on my Street Rod I would seriously consider it, but it is nice to have the hard snap it has when the lanes are too oily for my taste.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by LastCallKillit View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I haven't polished any of them yet. A soooo when you take it to the pro shop for polishing is that what they are doing, changing the finish? or simply polishing the ball? If I could go 4000 on my Street Rod I would seriously consider it, but it is nice to have the hard snap it has when the lanes are too oily for my taste.
    You can always the ball back to the 2000 grit finish if you don't like the way 4000 works. I think that the more polished finish should still snap when it gets to the dry.

I would definitely get rid of the 12# ball, and get something in 14# that will give you a different look than the Street Rod
    John

Polishing a ball changes the finish from whatever to was to a polished finish. For example with the street rod which is currently 2000 grit sanded, if you had it polished it would be 2000 grit polished. A 4000 grit finish would have more length and be more angular than a 2000 grit finish. I would assume youll still be fine on oily conditions due the the amount of revs put on the ball by two handers.

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Maybe i'll try that, just have it sanded to a 4000 grit and see how I like it before I go buying another ball. I know I'm capable of throwing it comfortably, with less speed. I was practicing it last time, but can't get the carry throwing it like that to hit where it should. At the same time it would be cool to try another ball and weight. I love bowling but I hate how much there is to factor in when you're not trying to own a million balls!

Maybe i'll try that, just have it sanded to a 4000 grit and see how I like it before I go buying another ball. I know I'm capable of throwing it comfortably, with less speed. I was practicing it last time, but can't get the carry throwing it like that to hit where it should. At the same time it would be cool to try another ball and weight. I love bowling but I hate how much there is to factor in when you're not trying to own a million balls!
    Tbh you dont need a ton of balls. Changing speed, revs, hand position, target, lofting etc can all change how the ball reacts.

Quote Originally Posted by e-tank View Post
    Tbh you dont need a ton of balls. Changing speed, revs, hand position, target, lofting etc can all change how the ball reacts.
    Yeah I can adjust speed alright, I have a hard time trying to slow my rev rate. I've slowed it down at ton with better form. At first my hook was ridiculous even when I first got that Cyclone, my right arm would come across my body and absolutely rip it. Then I finally got a straight swing down which helped accuracy and slowed my rev rate alot.

So yeah, that's basically what i'm trying to do now. Is find my go-to ball that isn't difficult for me to control and use proper form... for a 2-hander. Be awesome to have a couch that could teach it, cause traditional just feels so weird to me, especially if I try throwing tradition with that 15. I can do it with my Cyclone but I have very little hook.
    Last edited by LastCallKillit; 12-19-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Yeah I can adjust speed alright, I have a hard time trying to slow my rev rate. I've slowed it down at ton with better form. At first my hook was ridiculous even when I first got that Cyclone, my right arm would come across my body and absolutely rip it. Then I finally got a straight swing down which helped accuracy and slowed my rev rate alot.

So yeah, that's basically what i'm trying to do now. Is find my go-to ball that isn't difficult for me to control and use proper form... for a 2-hander. Be awesome to have a couch that could teach it, cause traditional just feels so weird to me, especially if I try throwing tradition with that 15. I can do it with my Cyclone but I have very little hook.
    I dont know if this applies to all coaches but the ones in my house all have at least one 2 handed student

Oh that's pretty cool, I really should look into it. What is the general going rate for a coach anyways?

Also what is the benefit of getting a pearl coverstock over just going with a 4000 or any other ball rated for light-medium oil.
    Last edited by LastCallKillit; 12-19-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast