Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: USBC New Awards Policy is POO!

Chats: 204

Thumbs down USBC New Awards Policy is POO!

I checked out the website. It kinda blows that they are going to stop doing the annual thing in favor of a "lifetime" ring. I mean, it's sad for two reasons:

1) It's the final nail in the coffin of the sport being "too easy". Now, even the sports governing body is admitting that the sport has become so much easier…it's really not that much of an accomplishment anymore…so why waste resources rewarding it.
    2) The USBC states it's because, "they want to focus resources elsewhere"…like where?? First they stopped "verifying" 300 games because there were too many. Then they stopped making the rewards as valuable. Then they stopped giving multiple ones per year. Now they are going to one per lifetime. So where are the resources being redirected?

And they are completely getting rid of 11 strikes in a row!!? Why? Were the plastic slabs getting too expensive as well??

Listen, if they want to go to one award per lifetime because it's getting to be too easy…despite the fact that it is ultimately THEIR FAULT it has gotten too easy…fine. Give a gold ring with a diamond in it for the first one and thats that. But to give a $40 metal ring…once…I mean, come on.

The only "good" thing to come of it (in my opinion) is they claim they will still have special recognition for every 300 bowled at a USBC Open…which "might" push more bowlers to get into tournament play.

Any opinions?
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Well!!!

I am not sure its THAT easy! I have had many good bowlers, that have bowled for over 30 years, come up to me and say they have never bowled a 300 game! I will grant you it is easier, but I would not go so far as to say its a (So EASY)!

I think the BIG PROBLEM IS mainly the volume, NUMBER of bowlers has dwindled considerably!!!! The money coming into the USBC is WAY Down!

The Cosmic bowlers are not sanctioned, and that seems to be the trend in many places! So its a double edged sword!

Less bowlers, and of that dwindling number of bowlers, the Cosmic's are not paying USBC sanctioned fees!!

I will believe that it is getting REAL easy, when I turn on my computer, and see your first 300, 800 series! LOL...

Hang in there Aslan!!! I have faith that you WILL GET ONE,,,,, (maybe not before Iceman passes on into a liquid state, but it will happen, (I had a dream with you standing there holding up your left hand, over your head, with a huge ring that went around your wrist, not your finger!) It had a flashing neon 300 in the middle of that wrist-ring. This will happen Aslan!!!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 204

Your lack of confidence in my soon-to-be awesomeness is only allowed…because I will never be as good as you. I may someday be as good as Pete Weber…but not Iceman. Granted, I'll probably win at least 3 USBC open titles before Iceman bowls something other than a THS shot…but thats not the point here.

My point Iceman…is that while it's not "easy"…the USBC itself has stated that it's done 50,000 times per year. Thats more than 10x the amount thrown in the 60s-70s. And add to that…the numbers of sanctioned bowlers are DOWN…so less bowlers, FAR more 300 games = easier.

Is it the balls? Is it the oil patterns? Is it steroids? < ------ have you SEEN Iceman's photo!?? It doesn't matter. It's easier. So now…when the mighty Aslan finally DOES bowl his 300 game…he'll get a plastic ring and a congratulations note scribbled on the back of a bar napkin…and will probably have to pay shipping and handling.

And here's a side-issue. I think the USBC is making league play more expensive because now a lot of the centers/alleys that run the leagues are going to start having to pay for awards that used to be free/paid for by dues. League bowlers are going to still expect the recognition for something like 11-in a row…so the leagues will start buying those things and passing the price on to the members. Hypothetically anyways.

Whatever. I actually hope I DON'T roll a 300…seriously, because if I do…I'd consider it such a momentous occasion…that I'd pay the $875 for the 14k ring, the extra $25 for the different design, and the extra $60 for the diamond-looking pin. And yeah…since I'm not a retired Iron worker…I ain't got that kinda cash. I need my annual bonus to fix my car air conditioner and get my bike a new tire and a tune-up.

And rather than start a whole new thread…since we're talking awards here…does anyone know if you can win the 11 in a row award if you bowl the 11 AFTER the first frame?? Or is it just 11 straight and then <10 in the 12th?
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    And rather than start a whole new thread…since we're talking awards here…does anyone know if you can win the 11 in a row award if you bowl the 11 AFTER the first frame?? Or is it just 11 straight and then <10 in the 12th?
    As far as I know 11 in a row is 11 in a row. It doesn't matter if it's the first 11 or the last 11 as long as they are all in the same game. The USBC does not recognize Varipapa 300s ( any 12 strikes in a row ) so they certainly wouldn't give an award for having 6 in a row at the end of one game followed by 5 in a row at the start of the next.
    John

The 11 in a row honor score is going bye bye There will no longer be a plaque for throwing 11 in a row. I dont think it will even be submitted anymore to go on your bowl.com awards page.

Aslan what you are talking about is called the 11 in a row second ball (as it would be listed on the awards page of bowl.com) yes this was a valid award

Chats: 304

Well to me, I have to agree on the sport being "too easy" with the simple house patterns. I'd prefer to bowl on just sport shot patterns just to get better. I would say they should just have bowling alleys slap sport shot conditions from now on. Or maybe like slap house shots on for like when there are family nights and stuff. For the not so experienced bowlers. Perhaps maybe putting sport shot patterns down for leagues and stuff. Instead of just heavy house patterns. But that's just me, agree or disagree with me if you want. I'm just spreading my word of opinion.
    My bowling balls include:
    Brunswick Brute Strength, Brunswick Mastermind Genius, DV8 Endless Nightmare, DV8 Diva, DV8 Diva Pearl, DV8 Marauder Mutiny, & Brunswick White Viz-A-Ball spare ball

I love bowling on sport shots and some kiegel challenge patterns some of the kiegal shots are too close to house shots for me.

While I love bowling on these shots and everyone says they want to bowl on those shots when it comes time to sign up for these leagues there is generally low enrollment. Most league bowlers want that nice easy just throw it out there and it will automatically come back to the pocket THS. They dont want to join a PBA league cause it will hurt their average too much and actually make them think about their shots.

The fact is with these new balls it has became easier to score and USBC has been taking a hit in recent years by having to give many bowlers a 300 and a 800 ring every year. I can agree to a lifetime award but since it will a lifetime award lets make the rings a little nicer. Taking away all the other awards that are going away I dont agree with. It is now up to the local USBC on whether to give out the key chains or pins anymore if the local wants to order it then you may get them For the experienced bowlers most dont care about these anyways but I think they are needed for the newer bowlers to have something to work up to.
    Last edited by tccstudent; 12-25-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Chats: 891

i hope they don't do this in canada because we are not USBC, we are CTF
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618

It all started with synthetic lanes.

Didn't they also change the pins at some point?
    BowlingVids.com -- USBC Tennessee (2204-27181) California (222-32895)

IndexGenie.com -- In The Bag --> Roto Grip Wrecker - Roto Grip Hyper Cell - Storm Polar Ice Hybrid

Chats: 243

im just posting to comment on the crazy post to view ratio

Replies: 8
    Views: 13,219

The lurkers are strong in this thread lol
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast