Thread: Anyone know the typical dress code for USBC tournaments?

Chats: 204

Question Anyone know the typical dress code for USBC tournaments?

I was thinking of doing a local USBC regional tournament in late January. They have divisions for different averages so I'll at least get thrown in with others with similar averages. I'll probably get my butt kicked given my average is 24 pins lower on synthetics…but it's a cheap tourney, nearby, local, and just for fun/experience.

Anyways, what is the typical dress code? I usually bowl in shorts (it's California for crying out loud!) but I know that most tournaments you have to wear long pants. I don't think I need a shirt with my name on the back or anything, but I figure long pants will likely be a requirement. If I do wear long pants, I usually wear like the athletic zip-up pants (like what basketball players wear in warm-ups). I also have some really loose/baggy tan pants. And I guess I have some jeans that are kinda loose. But would those be "okay"? Or do I need to wear something dressier like Dockers or other khakis?

I know the easy answer is, "call them and ask" or "check the rules for the tournament"…but I can't find it in the rules. I thought maybe the handful of folks on here that have bowled in tournament scene here and there might know.

I know the PBA requires dress pants and a shirt with your name on the back. And I know the ABT has no "long pants" requirement but does have a "name on the back" requirement if you make the finals. But I can't find anything specific in the USBC rules.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Depends on the Tournament Rules, the rules are not the same everywhere. So you have to check that tournaments rules

California USBC Association.
    2014 Open Championships
    April 26 – June 22, 2014
    http://www.calusbc.com/page.asp?id=51

DRESS CODE: All bowlers must wear suitable attire. No sexual or profane advertisements will be allowed on any attire or equipment. NO tank tops, halter tops, sweats, spandex, "cut-off’s" or short shorts of any kind allowed. Walking shorts, "skorts" and skirts are permitted. The tournament chairman shall determine the validity of any complaints.

Suitable attire usually is half sleeve shirts with butterflied collar. Slacks, Dress jeans, Shorts and skirts must come to knee. No caps or headgear. (unless you have a Medical card that say's you have to wear it.)

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default How about This for a Bowling Dress Code

This is my new, bowl off shirt!! Secret Weapon for when I need to bowl OUT of This World!![URL=http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/imagine686868/media/DSC00300_zpsbda2d391.jpg.html][/URL]
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I was thinking of doing a local USBC regional tournament in late January. They have divisions for different averages so I'll at least get thrown in with others with similar averages. I'll probably get my butt kicked given my average is 24 pins lower on synthetics…but it's a cheap tourney, nearby, local, and just for fun/experience.

Anyways, what is the typical dress code? I usually bowl in shorts (it's California for crying out loud!) but I know that most tournaments you have to wear long pants. I don't think I need a shirt with my name on the back or anything, but I figure long pants will likely be a requirement. If I do wear long pants, I usually wear like the athletic zip-up pants (like what basketball players wear in warm-ups). I also have some really loose/baggy tan pants. And I guess I have some jeans that are kinda loose. But would those be "okay"? Or do I need to wear something dressier like Dockers or other khakis?

I know the easy answer is, "call them and ask" or "check the rules for the tournament"…but I can't find it in the rules. I thought maybe the handful of folks on here that have bowled in tournament scene here and there might know.

I know the PBA requires dress pants and a shirt with your name on the back. And I know the ABT has no "long pants" requirement but does have a "name on the back" requirement if you make the finals. But I can't find anything specific in the USBC rules.
    My local association sends out a copy of the dress code with the confirmation of your entry registration. All the other rules are on the entry form. So when you actually show up to bowl you no longer have a copy of the rules regarding handicap, lane courtesy, etc. but by golly you know what you can and cannot wear.
    John

I think I'll just wear the black athletic pants (like basketball warm-ups) and bring the tan pants and blue jeans with me. I doubt they'll be so picky for a Orange County USBC qualifier event that they'd turn down all three pant selections because they don't allow blue jeans and the others are too baggy.

But thanks; I'll look for something in the confirmation from them. I just got a little nervous because it seemed like in the USBC Masters/Seniors AND in PBA events…everyone has khakis with a black dress belt. I guess I could bring a pair of khakis with a dress belt "just in case".

Chats: 256

Any tourney I have bowled in it has been either a pair of slacks/khakis or jeans. No athletic bottoms or tops. No T-shirts(sorry ICEMAN your shirt likely would not make muster). Polo or mock turtle acceptable. Also depending on time of year, shorts an be worn if stated in rules.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Bowling and Dress code could be PART OF THE PROBLEM!!

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Any tourney I have bowled in it has been either a pair of slacks/khakis or jeans. No athletic bottoms or tops. No T-shirts(sorry ICEMAN your shirt likely would not make muster). Polo or mock turtle acceptable. Also depending on time of year, shorts an be worn if stated in rules.
    I think that's a Big Part of the problem with bowling on a tourney level! SQUARE MAN!!!! slacks, khakis,, ect ect,,, no T shirts,,, or sweat paints!!

Come on,,,, you guys running the USBC need to retire, and let guys like Aslan, and Iceman take over! I might be 65, but I don't let that make me OUT OF TOUCH with needs to change!!

TV bowling to the average NON bowler is not exciting to watch! What they wear looks like uniforms all the same, only difference it the sponsors logos... look like nascar drivers with balls!

Look at Duck dynasty!! Does their un-kept appearance keep them from making MILLIONS of bucks,,, or does it actually appeal to the public! More people watch Duck dynasty then PBA Bowling because of the fact that they don't wear KHAKIS, and a Slacks!!

Bowing is WAY to formal for what it is! Rules need to change, or it will become like the dinosaurs X-stink!! LOL

Give us bowlers the FREEDOM to wear ANYTHING within reason!! Or give us medication to help cope with the ramifications of cloths that bore us to death!!!

America is ABOUT FREEDOMS!!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

I don't know Ice…here's the problem. Would a stand-up guy like Iceman be trusted with freedom concerning apparel? Sure.

But what if you get one of those many, many folks…that decide to use their bowling appearance as some kind of political activist advertisement? What about the ladies in my league that like to show off their breast investment?? Do you really want to bowl on a lane next to a guy wearing head-to-toe apparel with images of dead fetuses because he's on an anti-abortion crusade? Believe me…it'll happen. I've seen at least 2 cars with dead fetus pictures taped to nearly every window. Or how about some guy in head to toe Ron Paul garb during election season? Sometimes freedom has the cost that some people don't have the respect for the game or alternative views. You KNOW I'm wearing a "2-handed bowling is for ***s" t-shirt!! Not really…because I have respect for the game.

I don't think the dress code is too problematic. At the amateur and regional USBC level…I have a feeling it's fairly relaxed and it should be. Obviously, at the PBA level…they wear what the owners of the PBA tell them to wear. The jerseys are distracting (almost as much as Chris Barne's green pants)…but I think the new folks like the jerseys over the polos of the 80s. I saw Ernie Schlegel bowl in what looked like an Evil Kenievel costume…so hopefully the 70s don't repeat themselves….eeeek!

The only time I can recall have a dress code for a league or tournament was the one PBA regional I went too. There is one league here in town that has a dress code and thats the MASTERS Traveling League I have subbed on that league several times but I cant afford to join that league at $30 a night
    If some of you older gents if you decide to go to a SASBA tourney I believe they have a dress code. For most of the local open tournaments I have never had a problem bowling in shorts and a tshirt
    Iceman do you plan on bowling Springfield this year if so maybe we can get our teams to bowl the same session