Bowler Stats-Ball Speed 15.5 MPH Rev Rate-App 315 Axis of Rotation-30 to 60 degrees Axis Tilt 9 degrees Right Handed PAP-5 over, 1/4" up
The Motiv Sigma Sting is designed for medium patterns according to Motiv. The core is symmetrical (same core used in the Sigma Series), wrapped with the same cover, the Fusion Pearl Reactive used on the Primal Rage, Cruel Intent and the Tribal. The ball is as advertised and more for me. It glides easily through the heads retaining energy for its down lane more. The backend reaction is not nearly as angular as the Tribal but still delivers plenty of recovery and power when friction is encountered. The Sigma Sting covers close to the same number of boards as the Thrash Frenzy, with a different shape. I have already found that if the Frenzy is not carrying but hitting the pocket, the change of motion provides immediate carry benefits.
Once the Sigma Sting finds friction the slowdown/change of direction is quick without being a checkmark. The Sigma Sting then makes a strong move that is less sudden and sharp then the Primal Rage, but a quicker transition then the other balls in the Motive line without the Fusion cover. The Sigma Sting's make a continuous move at the end of the pattern and can cover a lot of boards in on the backend when the volume of the pattern is lighter or the length of the pattern shorter. The core/cover combo has allowed me to play up the boards as well as playing very deep, but almost always the Motiv line has provided me this type of versatility. Getting the ball in the soup (house shot) in the middle of the lane will cause the ball to skate past the breakpoint, however getting it to the friction to early generally does not penalize the reaction as happens with stronger equipment The Sting also has been effective on wood with it not being overly strong, but strong enough to still give me plenty of reaction on the backends. From the box condition of 1500 I had to add a little more shine, getting it to 2000. As usual with this coverstock, changing the surface was easy and the results were immediate.
If you use this ball as designed it will be a very effective ball. To throw it on a burnt condition will require a healthy polish and a longer drill pattern but those will ball speed will be easily able to adjust with this ball. I bowl with a number of athletes who are throwing Cruels or another ball in the Sigma line. I believe this ball will be a great fit for their tournament arsenal. Also, the Sigma Sting Motiv has a piece of equipment that acts as a great arsenal builder working in conjunction with the Cruel Intent, Primal Rage and the Tribal. The coverstock has become very popular with its strong read of the friction and for those that like to keep their arsenal of equipment very linear these will be a great this completes (?) a very competitive grouping.
I'm very colorblind but really see this ball well with the color combinations Motiv used. The Neomark Graphic makes the ball very pleasing to the eye, give it good shelf appeal and make it very easy to see the transitions of the ball on the way down the lanes.
Dug Barker
Motiv Staffer
BTM Youth Writer
Ken Bowl Lanes Youth Director
Positive Coaching Alliance Double Goal Coach
BWAA Member
SWBA Member
USBC Silver
2003 GLBA Youth Coach of the Year