Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PBA Struggling Heading into 2014

Chats: 204

Agreed. I never watched bowling at all until I actually started bowling.

Thats why I think for the sport to really grow, it's gotta be grown at the youth level. I spend a fair amount of time at the lanes and I see so very few young people bowling. There's the cosmic bowlers and that kinda thing...but you don't see youth teams or even high school teams. And without that "base"...it's virtually impossible to grow the sport.

I'd like to see lanes get together, maybe work through their regional USBC...and work with local elementary schools. Start elementary school "leagues" where once every two weeks during slow times during the week...have elementary school teams play against each other. The schools can win school supplies...the teams can win bolwing balls and shoes. Make it as low cost/free as possible. It's a small price to pay...if you can get even 15% of those kids playing regularly. Pretty soon...you have enough players for a "youth league"....mixed junior/senior doubles....and thats where you make your money back. ot to mention...these kids grow up...they join adult leagues.

If the bowling centers don't get away from the Bowlmor model...where cosmic/casual bowlers and night club atmospheres are seen as the future...and start seeing that leagues are the backbone of any successsful center...it's just never gonna get back to anything near what it used to be. I don't think the PBA matters much. I hate to see it go...but at this point, it's not really drawing anybody to bowling in the US. Maybe outside the US is is, but not in the US.

Chats: 30

Did you know that the first $1 million sports endorsement went to a bowler? (I'll leave the rest of the trivia up for grabs, so to say).

The thing is, the reason we see it as doomed, is it really all does come down to the mighty dollar. The generation of today isn't going to aspire to be a couple a hundred-thousand if you're lucky on tour bowler if you can get drafted into a team, and sit on the bench all season and make the same amount.
    Donna
    Current arsenal: Uproar / Rumble / T-Zone

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    Did you know that the first $1 million sports endorsement went to a bowler? (I'll leave the rest of the trivia up for grabs, so to say).
    Correct. I've made that point many times as I think back to the "good ole days".

I stand on my previous comments. I think the way for bowling to regain at least some of it's "glory" is a long process that involves a huge amount of effort at the elementary school level. I think the USBC, PBA, AMF...these groups that have a vested interest in bowling becoming bigger, need to make a real investment in kids...get those kids rolling better balls, get them their own shoes, and get them in an alley at least once a week.

Here's the economics of it:

Lets say you have 2 alleys in your city and 14 elementary schools. The alleys set up a league and split the cost. Each elementary school fields a team of 6 bowlers (rotating teams of 5). The cost of a ball, bag and shoes for that age group is lets say $100 each. The alleys match that with a $200 donation per team to each school.

Thats $100 * (6 * 14) = $8400 Plus $200 * 14 = $2800. Thats $11,200 split between 2 alleys = $5600 per alley.

24-week league on early mornings on the weekend. We'll assume actual lane time is $0 because the lanes are already there and staff is already there.

The ROI (return on investment) initially is:

Lets assume each team when they bowl spends a mere $35 on food/beverages. Lets say the alley provides free food the 24th/final week...so thats 22 weeks at $490/week. Thats $10,780 just on food/beverages.

Now lets assume that these families spend just ONE more time at the alley because their kid is in a league and wants to practice. A family goes to the lane, $28 in lane rental and shoes, $24 food beverage, times players (6 * 14), times 24 weeks = $104,832.

So just over the course of a 24 week league...each of the alleys puts an investment up front of $5600 and the return on that investment is ($104,832 + $10,780)/2 = $57,806. $57,806 - $5600 = a gross profit of $52,206 or $2175.25/week.

But here's where many, many alleys are short sighted. THAT isn't where the money is. The money is when just 4 of those kids grow up, stay in the area, and become adult bowlers...and bowl in a league each week. Now you're raking in $35 bar tabs and league fees each week with virtually ZERO investment.

And thats how you save bowling. Kids involved = adolescents involved = colleges more involved = greater USBC membership and league players = a greater interest in pro bowling = more advertising = more profits = higher salaries. But it isn't going to happen overnight. Bowling has been in decline for 3 decades...and it'll take at least 3 decades to regain that ground. It's not gonna be some stupid "The League" gimmic or making the players more "aholish" like pro wrestlers and it's not gonna happen by trying to get more adults to play. The PBA/USBC/alleys are attacking the problem at the top of the pyramid...when they NEED to be building the base. Once you get the ball rolling...it'll move itself due to momentum. Thats my take anyways.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Ringer
    Chats: 35

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post

The thing is, the reason we see it as doomed, is it really all does come down to the mighty dollar. The generation of today isn't going to aspire to be a couple a hundred-thousand if you're lucky on tour bowler if you can get drafted into a team, and sit on the bench all season and make the same amount.
    Not just today's generation, I grew up in the 80's and always aspired to be a pro football player. On top of that, I also played many other sports, most notably soccer (where I had the best chance to turn pro although MLS doesn't pay crap). Bowling was just a once every few years thing I did when somebody suggested it, or I just wanted a casual date environment.

I never would've considered pro bowling as something to aspire to, not enough money (which is why I ultimately quit soccer to focus on football), and it doesn't really have the mass media appeal of other sports. To young aspiring athletes, I'm just not sure how you can sell them on that.

Its funny, I didn't even realize there were youth leagues until I picked up the sport a few months ago, I mean who knew? Some of it is geography I think, I was born in Miami, grew up and lived in DC and NYC for almost my entire life. I see there are a lot of posters here from the Midwest so where you grow up probably has a lot to do with starting at a young age too

Chats: 0

On thing that is hurting bowling as a whole is how expensive it has gotten.. I remember when I used to be able to bowl on certain nights for $1 a game, or $10 to bowl all night on friday and sa night. Not to mention the overall fun some of the alleys near me created. Where I grew up there were 3 bowling alleys in my town when I left for the Marines when I was 18. When I returned home at the age of 22 there was only 1 still left.
    Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com

I am a proud winner of a Bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by YODA View Post
    On thing that is hurting bowling as a whole is how expensive it has gotten.. I remember when I used to be able to bowl on certain nights for $1 a game, or $10 to bowl all night on friday and sa night. Not to mention the overall fun some of the alleys near me created. Where I grew up there were 3 bowling alleys in my town when I left for the Marines when I was 18. When I returned home at the age of 22 there was only 1 still left.

So true. A family came in to bowl on Sunday while were playing the monthly tournament. One game each plus shoes $63. Two games plus shoes$93! They got it down to $75 by doing two hours. But still. Yikes!

Luckily, we have quite a few centers in Orange County so we can follow the specials around.

And the whole Cosmic thing has screwed going bowling on Friday or Saturday nights. Some of the centers are doing cosmic all freaking day on the weekends!
    Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums
    14's Deadly Aim, First Blood, HyRoad Pearl, Tropical Breeze, Rising Star, Maxim Spare

Ringer

I still bowl for cheap. $7 after 9pm on weekdays for all you can bowl until closing and $1 per game on Sundays before noon. I bowled 16 games last Sunday. I'm still feeling it.
    Ball speed: 17 - 18.5 mph Rev rate: 400ish
    PAP 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
    13° axis tilt / 30°-60° axis rotation
    Thumbless bowler
    High game: 300 High series: 804 High average: 217

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Luckily, we have quite a few centers in Orange County so we can follow the specials around.
    Agreed. Nice advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    And the whole Cosmic thing has screwed going bowling on Friday or Saturday nights. Some of the centers are doing cosmic all freaking day on the weekends!
    Preaching to the choir there. If it's anywhere NEAR a holiday...where kids are out of school...cosmic bowling all damn day. I went there the Friday after Christmas...got there a little early for league play and thought I would practice....lights were off, cosmic bowling. They turned them on an hour before league play started.

I think bowling when compared to other sports/activities is cheaper than people give it credit for. I practice on Mondays for $2/game. Most weeknights after 9:30PM it's $12 until close unlimited bowling. The other center I used to bowl at, $12 for 2 hours. And when I played league there...I got 2 free games and unlimited games at between $2-$3. I bowl in a clinic some Saturdays...$10 for 2 hours and you get occasional instruction. I even found an alley on a college campus where I bowled for $1 a game. And...I entered a tournament recently...$25 + $5 for optional side pot. And this is CALIFORNIA folks...the land of expensive living.

The "cost" of bowling is league bowling...and it's mostly your bar tab. I may spend $92/month to bowl leagues...and thats a sanctioned, expensive, 24-week, sweeper league. But I'll probably spend another $132/month on food/alcohol during league play.

Other sports I've played?? Hockey was cheaper...but a much higher up front equipment cost. Paintball was ungodly expensive...$50-$120 per day. Running is cheap but it's God awful boring. Biking is cheap except for the $1000-$3000 bicycle. Martial arts was expensive. Just joining a gym is expensive. Shooting isn't too bad except for the cost of bullets/shells. You ever try to get your kids into things like figure skating or horseback riding. You'll pay $35-$125 an hour for those activities. I'd like to try surfing or skiing...but surfboards are $600+ and I've heard skiing is about the priciest possible activity other than skuba diving or learning to fly a plane.

Even on Fridays or Saturdays...I can go to an alley and for $20 bowl for 2 hours. There's not a lot of stuff you can do for 2 hours that only costs $20. A movie ticket is around $10...snacks/drinks?? Forget about it. Even going to the damn beach...pay like $9-$17 to park?? I played poker Sunday and got knocked out of the tournament in just over an hour...that was $45 + gas...coulda bowled most of the day for that money.

Actually...it's not the COST that has annoyed me about bowling...it's when I want to find an open lane to practice and CANNOT find one! So it can't be THAT expensive....because bowling alleys certainly aren't empty anytime after 5PM. 1-4PM...yeah, I've went to alleys that were ghost towns at those hours. But trying to find an open lane in the evening...friggin sucks.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Cosmic bowling can actually be fun, especially for a family with kids.. My kids love Cosmic Bowling. And luckily only $1 a game at one center close to us. Although the way Cosmic bowling has gotten, its way too much IMO as some others stated above. For me Bowling is the most expensive sport I play... For as much as it costs me and my family to bowl on one average price night, I can buy a new bowling ball. Where I live leagues actually make it cheaper, although Bar tabs surely can ring up, but drinking IMO is not part of the sport that is needed

I Bowl, Play Baseball, Basketball, and my kids are in little league, and bowling is still more expensive then those three.
    Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com

I am a proud winner of a Bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

It's pricey enough that I am really struggling over my decision about playing 2 leagues come March. I really, really want to. But even if I can just trim down the bar tab a bit...my daughter is big into horseback riding and there's talk of leasing her a horse this riding season...probably will quit poker first if I have to...but bowling is next on the chopping block if I need the money for horseback riding. Kids come first.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast