Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: mc_runner's scores

Another poor showing! I'm off on my spares and it's killing my games. Outside of the 5 splits I got, everything I left was makeable. Guess being off for a week and not getting to practice (bachelor party woo) really spells trouble for working on my shots.

On the plus side, I felt much more comfortable on my first ball and had my timing down a LOT better - I was working on my crossover steps and not drifting right on the approach. I felt it was paying immediate dividends as I no longer have to compensate for starting way left. Obviously still have work to do (and really really need to get to practice this week sometime - it's been a challenge with my wedding coming up in less than a month, though), need to get that consistent approach/release down. Also have to rework some of my adjustments as the lanes transition now.

146/158/191, 495 series

Strikes: 37% (12/32). Not so great, want to be >40%
    Spares: 44% (8/18). just pathetic
    - single pin: 71% (5/7) - missed 2 10pins. This summer they've been more of a struggle than in the past, I found I have to start a board further right in the humidity and always forget to do so my first attempt or 2 on the night.
    - multipin, no split: 50% (3/6). All easily makeable
    - splits: 0% (0/5). Including a nice 4/6 in the 10th in the last game when a mark would have won the game for us... and given me a 200 game/500 series. ugh.

Better last night. Brand new pins led to a bunch of lower scores across the board but I can't really complain. I covered most of my single pins... did have 3 chops (all on the right side) but hey. The last game was a big confidence booster as I rolled all 9 counts and a 6 in a row from frames 5-10. The one negative on the night was an "I don't know what happened" gutter ball on my fill frame in game 2 (which naturally 3 pins would have won the game for us).

170/181/234, 585 series

Stats:
    Strikes: 41% ( 14/34)
    Spares: 66% (12/18)
    - Single Pin: 87% (7/8)
    - Multiple Pin, no split: 5/9
    - Splits 0% (0/1)

I will FINALLY get to practice this Friday, these 1-a-week sessions haven't been enough to get confident in my new shot.

Didn't have a great night. I used the Vivid in game 1 and pulled out the Brunswick LT-48 to try it out in league play for the last 2. It held it's line really well but I think I may need to slow my shot just a little to take advantage of it's strengths.

182/181/168, 531 series.

Strikes: 36% (12/33)
    Spares: 65% (13/20)
    - Single pin: 66% (4/6)
    - Multiple pin, no split: 9/11
    - splits: 0% (0/3)

I knew it was going to be a rough night when my second shot in the first game looked beautiful going into the pocket and left a 7-10, then on my next ball after an adjustment right I nearly did it again (late 7 fall).
    Last edited by mc_runner; 08-06-2014 at 09:50 AM. Reason: clarity

Had a pretty lousy last night in summer league but we won all 4 points and finished in second, so there is that!

Game 1 I started outside with the LT-48 (I wanted to see what it would do on the fresh) and it... wasn't very good for my shot. I played the full game with it, made adjustments here and there, and just couldn't find a working line (single pin leaves, a few where I slightly missed my mark by like a half board and paid for it, etc). I finished up the last frame with the byte, and started a couple frames in game 2 with it before I decided to stop messing around and just throw my A game with the Vivid. Game 2 and 3 after that went a lot better outside of a couple splits and a nice gutter-spare.

159/185/189, 531

Stats:
    Strikes 35% (12/34)
    Spares: 63% (12/19)
    Single Pin: 100% (5/5) yay
    Mulitple pin, no split: 67% (6/9). No easy chops at least on this one. Washout, bucket+7 where the 5 moved to the 8 pin spot, etc
    Splits: 20% (1/5). made a 5-10

I still need to work a little on cutting down the splits. The good news is the more I bowl the more automatic this style feels - I've finally been able to stop thinking about it every step on some shots. On to fall leagues after a fun/payout week next week, and wedding next weekend!

Last week of summer league, fun night and wasn't taking it too serious. Knocked the polish off the byte and that helped the reaction a lot. Still got a bunch of splits, I really need to work on that as it appears to be my #1 problem at the moment. I didn't throw the ball badly but got a couple of bad breaks and bad splits. Was debating whether or not to post but I kept track so hey.

170/173/202, 545 series

Strikes: 45% (14/31)
    Spares: 52% (9/17)
    Single Pin: 83% (5/6). Missed a 10, just misthrew it
    Multiple pin, no split: 33% (2/6)
    Splits: 40% (2/5) - picked up a 4-7-9 and a 3-10

Bummer that I won not a single one of the 25+ raffles or prizes. makes up for last year.

I'll be updating this by week to cut down on the posts a little. First week of fall leagues was kind of rough, had some time off and didn't feel entirely comfortable either night.

TUES MEN'S LEAGUE - Team "The Bowl Movements"

179,166,180 - 525 series (175.00 avg)
    Strikes: 35% (12/34)
    Spares: 55% (11/20)
    - Single Pin: 71% (5/7)
    - Multiple Pin: 46% (6/13)
    - Splits: 0% (0/4)

It was one of the hottest/most humid days of the year. 90s and 80% humidity and it was even grosser inside with all the people. Approaches were incredibly sticky and the oil dried out really quickly. Game 1 and 2 I struggled to find a line and even pick up spares, and I couldn't keep either ball right of the headpin regardless of line. Game 3 I pulled out the LT-48 and found a little more consistency - definitely should have played that earlier. All in all I'm not too upset though - my 525 was one of the higher scores across the league (league average is a 190... not the best night for anyone).

THURS MIXED - Team "Livin' on a Spare"

155/165/192 - 512 series (170.67 average)
    Strikes: 28% (9/32)
    Spares: 66% (14/21)
    - Single pin: 88% (8/9)
    - Multiple pin: 50% (6/12)
    - Splits: 14% (1/7)

Not so happy with this one. I was a hair left on all my shots and paid for it with SEVEN splits. I moved all over the first game, all over the second and found nothing... then abandoned my inside game after splitting in frame 1, game 3 and threw hard and fast up the second arrow with my byte. That seemed to fix all my problems, lol. Game 3 was much better, I did leave several single pin spares but picked all but the first 10pin up. I would like my single pins to be at 90% this season overall so I'll hopefully be on the way at least in the mixed league. Gonna keep the shot that worked in mind too - I was the only one hooking the ball so carry down may actually have been a bit of an issue, and I'll play different lines on Tues/Thurs.

Glad that I didn't kill either one of my "all series above 500" goal on the first night in either, although it was close. Hope to rebound next week.

TUES NIGHT MEN'S

201, 166, 210 - 577 series (183.7 working avg)
    Strikes: 42% (14/33)
    Spares: 76% (13/17)
    - Single pin: 100% (7/7)
    - Multiple pin: 60% (6/10)
    - Splits 0% (0/2)

Found my line much better this week. I read the lanes well, but made a bad ball change in game 2 and left a couple of splits. Went back with a lateral adjustment at the end of game 2, kept it for game 3 and was clean. Much better and more comfortable feeling!

THURS NIGHT MIXED:

179, 144, 181 - 504 series (169.3 avg)
    Strikes: 34% (11/32)
    Spares: 50% (10/20)
    - Single Pin: 80% (4/5)
    - Multiple Pin: 40% (6/15)
    - Splits: 0% (0/5)

My line from Tuesday did not work AT ALL last night. I was dumb and tried "forcing" it with minor adjustments for most of the first 2 games. After an abysmal start to game 2 (51 in the 5th) I moved inside and found a much more consistent line, although I left a big split in the 10th after 2 strikes. I did miss a 10 pin in game 3 when I stuck on the approach (was a problem again last night... very humid day. Had the S8's on and still had issues a few times). Squeaked out another 500, but it's a far cry from the 190+ I should be throwing. Oh well, if there's a time to do poorly it's at the start of the season I suppose.

I really need to work on adapting to the lanes. Both weeks on Thursday I've started game 1 great and faded around frame 6... I need to stay ahead of that and adjust if I am not getting the reaction I need - and abandon the line/make a bigger move inside or outside if the angle isn't working at all.
    Last edited by mc_runner; 09-12-2014 at 10:17 AM.

Posting now as my wife is having surgery Thurs, and I am at a conference next Tues so won't be bowling until next Thurs night

TUES NIGHT MEN'S

214, 211, 182 - 607 series (189.89 league avg)

Strikes: 50% (16/32)
    Spares: 73% (11/15)
    Single Pin: 100% (3/3)
    Multiple pin: 55% (8/12)
    Splits: 0% (0/4)

Good night tonight! Was on my mark all 3 games, had to make a big move inside in game 3 after a couple of splits to start then settled down. Only opens on the night were splits. After last Tuesday (excluding the mixed league anomaly which was due to sticky approaches and humidity) I am finally getting the hang of my shot and picking up the consistency. Strikes are coming, carry is good. Played the vivid all night... average is now up to 190 which is my goal... keep working at the single pin spares and cutting down on the splits, and good things will happen!

Surgery went well, back from business trip (exhausted... flew in and went straight to bowling)

THURS MIXED

192, 191, 201 - 584 series (177.78 league avg)

Strikes: 42% (14/33)
    Spares: 66% (12/18)
    Single Pin: 57% (4/7)
    Multiple: 72% (8/11)
    Splits: 25% (1/4)

I didn't bowl as well as the scores indicate. I started the night by covering a 4-7-10 split, but I struggled with carrydown (yes, it happened! 2 people rolling house balls all over the place tonight. And I mean all over - gutter, 10 pins, dead center... every shot was different for them. But hey a new bowler is a new bowler!). I managed to miss 3 of my 5 ten pins on the night. Midway through the second game, I switched balls to the byte as I was getting no carry at all with the vivid, all of a sudden I started leaving weak 10s and a pocket 7-10, and then a washout after an adjustment. Played out the rest with the byte. Would have been a much higher set if I had picked up my 10 pins.

TUES MEN'S

176, 180, 218 - 574 series (190.25 league avg)

Strikes: 41% (14/34)
    Spares: 78% (15/19)
    - Single Pin: 100% (9/9)
    - Multiple pin: 60% (6/10)
    Splits: 0% (0/3)

Struggled a little with carry the first 2 games but found a great line in the third. Ended with a clean game, and got all my 10 pins after making an adjustment in how I'm throwing them! Overall ended up average for the night, pretty happy with where I'm at in this league. Will try to hold my average in the 190s the rest of the way.

THURS NIGHT MIXED

184,171,136 - 491 series (174.25 league avg)

Strikes: 28% (9/32)
    Spares: 65% (15/23)
    - Single pin: 90% (9/10)
    - Multiple pin: 46% (6/13)
    Splits: 0% (0/6)

Oooh boy this was a rough one. I was on the end set of lanes on a rainy, damp day and couldn't find a line to save my life. In game 1 I left 4 10pins and changed balls in game 2 - it didn't go well. I pulled out the LT-48 a few frames in to game 3 since I couldn't keep anything to the right, and promptly threw a 3-4-6-7-9-10 split (yep, a 4 count split) and then on the next ball a flush pocket 7-10 (second of the night). When I left yet another 10 in the last frame I was so frustrated I just threw it without setting properly and whiffed for my lone single pin miss of the night - at the time I didn't realize it also cost the 500 series. I really have to get better about concentrating and plowing through when struggling with the lanes. Have to pick up my performance in this league, really been struggling in general in this one.

Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast