The Roto Grip Asylum is the third installment to the HP3 line and fits in between the Disturb and the Deranged. The Hybrid coverstock (63MH) provides enough traction in the oil and enough finish in the dry. The Layout that I used for the Asylum is 75 X 5 ½ X 45 or Pin above the fingers with a small weight hole. This layout is one of my favorites and has been a main stay in my arsenal. My coordinates are 5 5/8 over and ¾ up, Ball Speed around 15mph, Rev Rate around 300 and I am right handed. In the next couple of paragraphs I will be comparing the Asylum to the Deranged and the Disturb..

The Asylum out of the box is way too aggressive for any short house pattern (32 feet light oil) but I gave it a whirl and was able to own the pocket! I am naturally a straighter player but with the Asylum I had to move my feet left and project the Asylum to the right. The continuous motion of the Asylum was very readable and strong enough to get through the pocket. However, the extreme angles that I had to play did not leave me any room for error. The drier condition was right in the Deranged wheel house and the length and backend motion was just right. I did polish up the Asylum and I was able to move right with my feet and had a decent look but the Asylum was stronger throughout the lane.

The last pattern that I bowled on was a beat up scorpion condition (47 feet heavy oil). I compared the Asylum to the Disturb and within a couple of shots I realized that the Asylum has a lot more backend than the Disturb. The Disturb for me has a smooth and continuous ball motion and when I have to go around the condition is does not do so well. The Asylum is also continuous but has a more aggressive backend motion and going around the pattern is pretty easy. Actually I think if the pattern was fresh, the Disturb would be the ball to start with and then transfer to the Asylum. Really good one two punch!

The Asylum is a good fit in the HP3 line. With a couple of surface changes the Asylum is a very versatile bowling ball!

Dan Schaden Jr
Storm/ Roto Grip Pro Shop Staff
Vise Grip Staff