Thread: Reign On ball review by staffer Dwyane Da Moude

Default Reign On ball review by staffer Dwyane Da Moude

Storm Reign On
    Layout: Pin center in grip line, ½” down from fingers, CG kicked right at a 45 degree angle.
    PAP:
    4-1/2” -> ½” ^
    Speed: 15 to 16 mph depending on lane play
    Revs: 300 rpm range
    Conditions:
    A. Center A- 38’ house pattern*, Beatn’ Path pattern from Kegel. Kegel Kustodian Lane Walker, 7+ year old Qubica/AMF HPL lane surface and used the new Kegel Ice lane conditioner.
    B. Center B- both 36’ and 39’ house patterns, newest generation Brunswick Anvil Lane surface, Kegel ION machine, type of oil unknown.
    When I first threw this ball I was a little sad. I was expecting an early read with great arching potential. I was mistaken, and I honestly put it back in my bag for a while. It was just not matching up well.
    I week or two later when I was struggling late into a set I decided to grab it back out and give it another run, and WOW, I was truly impressed! The smoothness of its motion down lane was amazing, it was easily 2 to boards of forgiveness with no over-reaction.
    The C.A.M. core prove to be a competitor, matched with the R2S Hybrid coverstock started to shine! I found myself starting to like it more and more.
    I used it in a travel team challenge event over the past weekend and found I had a look out of the gates few others had, and as we moved into the 3rd game, I had the look others wanted. Starting the day standing 21 and throwing 8-9 and eventually finishing up at 27 throwing 13-14 with no extra effort. 231, 259 and 257 for 747.
    The following Monday at a different center throwing on the Beatn’ Path I used it for the first 2 games of a 4 game block for 225 and 236, standing 25 down 13-14. One of the best looks in the league that night. When moving pairs the carry down did affect the roll some and I decided to go to my Byte for a little more backend.
    Honest impression is this; don’t let the initial roll of this ball scare you! It definitely has a place in your arsenal. I feel guys with a higher rev rate will like this even more as they will be able to rev it up without fear of over-reaction and give themselves plenty of ‘fudge’ room on their target path. Highly recommended for lighter volumes and later blocks!

I too like this ball alot, but for different reasons than Dwyane. With its high rg (2.57 @ 15 lbs), it didn't make much sense to me for the ball to have so much surface. The first thing that I did was to change the surface to 2000 abralon plus Powerhouse Factory Finish polish. I had it drilled 60 X 3 1/2 X 40, a very aggressive drilling. On a house shot, this ball is usually the second ball that I go to, once I have to move too far left to let my less aggressive first balls (usually the Lights Out or the Don Carter Wiseman) get back to the pocket. The Reign On has good continuation and plenty of hitting power. I have also used it effectively as my second ball on the PBA Cheetah and Viper patterns, once my initial ball became too aggressive in terms of surface. My style: 16-17 mph, 270 rev rate.

Rob Mautner

I Love this ball as well! I am a high 180's low 190's average bowler and first game out THP I rolled a 255. Really good ball i love it!