Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: first tournament

Chats: 204

Default first tournament

Well…I got my first tournament coming up in 6 days!!!

I've been super excited for the last 2 weeks…but now that its approaching…I'm getting kinda nervous. Normally I wouldn't think of competing in a "tournament" after only bowling seriously for 5 months…but this is a small tournament with squads based on averages…so I'll be bowling in the 151-169 division.

Since it'll be on synthetic lanes with heavier oil volumes, my 164 USBC average is probably more like a 138-142 average so I'll likely struggle…but its more for the "experience" than anything.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 55

First off, change your attitude!

So much of this game is mental!!! even sub-conscious thoughts can and will interfere with how you bowl.

Starting thinking positive now for higher scores, better judgments, and you will do well...Kudos for even trying a tournament at this stage of your bowling!
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    First off, change your attitude!

So much of this game is mental!!! even sub-conscious thoughts can and will interfere with how you bowl.

Starting thinking positive now for higher scores, better judgments, and you will do well...Kudos for even trying a tournament at this stage of your bowling!
    I second this Aslan. Nerves and emotions come and go, they aren't right or wrong, they just are. So you're a bit excited or maybe you're nervous, acknowledge it, take a deep breath and bowl.

Attitude, however, is within your control. If you expect to struggle, you will!

The first tournament I entered was in December 2008. I had switched to bowling lefty in August of that year and my entering average was so low that I had the maximum handicap allowed by tournament rules. My attitude was that I was getting slowly better and would most likely bowl over my average. While I started with a 132, my second game was a 263 that shocked my doubles partner and contributed to series good enough for 5th place in the handicapped singles. I followed with a 477 series scratch in the doubles event that was good enough for us to cash in that event as well.

By the way I had signed up for that tournament out of spite since a friend of mine hadn't offered me a spot on the 5 man team he put together for the tournament. That team did not cash, nor did my friend and his doubles partner. My friend did finish 18th in the handicapped singles event.
    John

Whoa…classy granny said something nice to me. What!?

But seriously, you're both right. Sometimes when I'm bowling bad, especially during leagues…the trick is finding a way to convince myself that I'm WAY better than I actually am. Like I've said before…if I'm doing well…and people are impressed…I'm unstoppable. But if I bowl badly…I struggle to snap out of it.

Friday night, I was bowling SO well…that the other team bought me a shot of Tequilla hoping it would disorient me. Little did they know…the more "effective" way to slow me down would have been to ignore me and not pay attention to me. Every time I walked up there…I felt like Pete Weber…like I was SUPPOSED to do well…like it was a "given". And…I threw more strikes in that series than any series I can remember.

However, they also bought shots for 2 of my teammates and in the 3rd game after I threw 2 strikes to start…she said, "You're gonna throw a 300 game." I was like "Nooooo!! You can't say it out LOUD!! Not after 2 frames!!" And, of course…3rd frame was a 6-7-10 split.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Best of luck to you with your upcoming tournament! Strike when you can, but make sure to pick up your spares; basically make every shot count; sorry to sound cliche. Make sure that you bring however many balls that will be able to handle the conditions when the oil is fresh and when it breaks down. Can't wait to hear the results of the tournament!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums
    In the bag: DV8 (Misfit, Zombie), Roto Grip (Disturbed, Wrecker), Storm (Hy-Road Pearl, Ice, IQ Tour Pearl, Sync, Tropical Breeze)
    High league game: 256. High league series: 618 PAP: 3 1/2" over 1" up

Ringer
    Chats: 35

Aslan don't worry no need to be nervous until we meet in March, that's the real event...this is just a warmup LOL

But seriously, good luck man hope to read your report afterwards

I haven't bowled in too many tourneys, just some no taps around the holidays when the house I bowl in hosts them. The past couple no-taps that I've bowled in (I was in handicapped division), I let my nerves get to me after a couple bad shots in the second game, my attitude changed thinking I couldn't come back then completely choked the rest of the night. Yet, back in November I was going to bowl in a different alleys no tap and I didn't realize until the day of that it was all scratch. My average isn't much higher than yours and I wasn't going to go thinking I didn't have a chance..but about an hour before I said screw it, I'm going anyway..treat it like a practice session, have some fun and catch a couple drinks after. That took all of the pressure off, I didn't get into my own head after a bad shot and kept a good attitude and surprisingly I was two places away from being in the money at the end (much better than I've been placing with my handicap at the other no taps). Even if you get nervous, don't let that change your attitude..just stay focused and I'm sure you'll surprise yourself...good luck!

Good luck Aslan. Just think you could win the tourney and find a woman all the while Iceman's perfect day song is playing.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
    Make sure that you bring however many balls that will be able to handle the conditions when the oil is fresh and when it breaks down.
    Hopefully "many" = "2"….because thats how many I have.

Chats: 0

Good luck in it. Remember what people have wrote. Go into it knowing you are gonna beat your average and win it all. Being nervous goes with it but always have the right attitude and you will see that in the end t isn't that bad and you will come out better than ya thought ya would..

Good luck!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast