Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting out of my slump.

Bowler

Chats: 3

Default Getting out of my slump.

I started the season with a 203 average in 2 different leagues for the first 4 weeks. After that I dropped like a stone. Before Christmas I was at 183 and 181 respectively. I was throwing the ball well, but I could not score. Even on good solid pocket hits I was leaving garbage. I could not get any drive on the ball.

During this time I developed a problem with my left foot at work. It was diagnosed as a bone spur. I spend most of my day walking on concrete. To correct my foot problem I installed a set of orthotics with arch supports in my work boots. After several days, no more pain at work.

On my way to the bowling center before Christmas I had to stop at Walmart for my wife. I purchased a set of inserts with arch supports just on a whim. I put them in my bowling shoes. That night I shot a 705. I have bowled 6 league sessions since and in those 6 sessions I have a 222 average, with my low series at 613. Nothing has changed in my approach and/or release, but I notice with the inserts in my bowling shoes that my balance is much better. Apparently I was falling off the shot and had no leverage. Not now!!!

It’s good to be back.
    I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

If you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

I'm on concrete all day myself. I think I'm going to look into this. My feet get so tired my toes ache. We don't get to Walmart much, but I feel a special trip coming on. Thanks!

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Quote Originally Posted by PSBA10 View Post
    I started the season with a 203 average in 2 different leagues for the first 4 weeks. After that I dropped like a stone. Before Christmas I was at 183 and 181 respectively. I was throwing the ball well, but I could not score. Even on good solid pocket hits I was leaving garbage. I could not get any drive on the ball.

During this time I developed a problem with my left foot at work. It was diagnosed as a bone spur. I spend most of my day walking on concrete. To correct my foot problem I installed a set of orthotics with arch supports in my work boots. After several days, no more pain at work.

On my way to the bowling center before Christmas I had to stop at Walmart for my wife. I purchased a set of inserts with arch supports just on a whim. I put them in my bowling shoes. That night I shot a 705. I have bowled 6 league sessions since and in those 6 sessions I have a 222 average, with my low series at 613. Nothing has changed in my approach and/or release, but I notice with the inserts in my bowling shoes that my balance is much better. Apparently I was falling off the shot and had no leverage. Not now!!!

It’s good to be back.

Wow that is great. I am glad you found a cure for your foot. Great work and keep us posted on your progress.
    Go Broncos!

Chats: 0

I'm doubtful that arch supports would help my game, but it might help my aching feet.

Thanks for the the advice.
    All pins are POSSESSED, I'm just happy to be able to exorcise the poor dears and put them out of their misery.
    It's the least I can do
    High Game: 265
    High Series: 665
    Avg.: 180

I'm a proud member of bowlingboards.com Bowling Forums

That's great, now if I only can figure out how to throw the ball with my toes...........

I picked up some last night on my way home from walgreens, I just remembered others talking about it, so I decided to try it out. I'll see if the fred flinstone twinkle toes phenomenon comes out.
    Visionary Bowling Staff Representative &
    Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

I need to get some when I get a new pair of shoes this year. I think being comfortable bowling is important.
    Go Broncos!

I should check that out.

speaking of slide leg issues....anyone here ever have joint problems with their knee and hip on the slide leg?
    I suffered some track and field injuries back in the day, and I feel like they're coming back to haunt me.
    I practiced twice over the weekend and by the time my tuesday morning league rolled around, I didn't make it to the end of the 1st game without feeling like I had over done it. I'm getting severe pain, and it's keeping me from getting down low...it's throwing my whole release off.

I've been using icy hot and I'm thinking about starting some of those joint health supplements. other than that, I'm clueless.

Is this the type of thing a chiropractor might be able to fix?
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Jord_84 View Post
    I should check that out.

speaking of slide leg issues....anyone here ever have joint problems with their knee and hip on the slide leg?
    I suffered some track and field injuries back in the day, and I feel like they're coming back to haunt me.
    I practiced twice over the weekend and by the time my tuesday morning league rolled around, I didn't make it to the end of the 1st game without feeling like I had over done it. I'm getting severe pain, and it's keeping me from getting down low...it's throwing my whole release off.

I've been using icy hot and I'm thinking about starting some of those joint health supplements. other than that, I'm clueless.

Is this the type of thing a chiropractor might be able to fix?
    If you don't mind a burning sensation before you get used to it, use Capzacin. It's derived from capsaicin which is the substance that give peppers their heat. I have arthritic knees, and hips, and this stuff has really cut down on my pain. Get the roll-on. The creme has a tendency to stay on your hands, even after washing. Not good if you rub your eyes.

thanks, I'll definitely have to give that a try
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast