Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Qualified for National Finals (non-US :))

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by Hampe View Post
    The final was this saturday...so here's the update:
    I only finished 7th place out of 10. The pattern on the lanes was super easy, but I went at it the wrong way at first which made it a bit impossible to catch up. All the oil was in the middle and outside of board 10 was super dry. Pretty much the only mistake you could make was getting outside of board 10 too early. I tried to go at it like I normally do on dry conditions, using more forward role/less axis tilt (less hand) which was going Ok, but was not the optimal way to play that pattern.

I also had some trouble with the approaches...I kept slipping on my 2nd step and then getting stuck at the line on my slide (4th step) the first few games. I nearly ended up on the lane a few times, and getting stuck like that kept making me miss my target just left. I corrected that by standing farther back on the approach, and I also started giving the ball more hand and opening up the lane. That was what I should have been doing the whole time. I averaged 214 the last 4 games after I got everything sorted out, but it was too late. The lanes were too easy to be able to catch up....The winner shot 215 avg for the whole 9 games.

It was fun though....the lanes were super easy/fun to play (once I figured out how), but I would have liked to do better. The experience showed me once again that I REALLY need to get some good shoes with switchable soles. It's not the first time I've had issues on approaches in a center that I've never played in before.

I also think this gave me some insight as to how so many people in the States can average 220+, when some of the best players around here who have played their whole lives can't. If the lanes that Iceman plays on are anything like the lanes this weekend, then I can completely understand how someone can average 200+ the first season they start bowling . That might be the first time I've played on a pattern that was that easy.
    Good for you Bud!! In regards to the lanes ICEMAN plays on, easy oil lol,,, I have had many young, middle aged, men and women come up to me and say, I have been bowing here many years, and no 300s,,, how do you do it! That night, James with a 220 average had a 195 game, and struggled that night!

My reply is always, "I am The Iceman! some of them with 200 plus averages, but no 300, or 800! Remember when I bowled that last 300, I also had a 780 series. I really thought that I was going to throw two 300s, and a 800 that evening... 300, 216, and then 8 stirkes in a role, before the series ended, for a 264!
    Its not EASY Lanes,,, come on down and give it a try!! You can stay at my place!! I will pay for your trip, if you throw a 300.... lol ... (

Hampe I have been real close on another bowling alley with a different oil machine, one of the newest by Kegal. It sprays the oil on.... Had a 298, 290, and several 279s there. Only reason I haven't had one there, in my opinon is that I haven't bowled at that alley much because its a longer drive from my place.. I bowl a 279 on the sports pattern called the turnpike there a year or so back easy pattern,,, "I THINK NOT! LOL ... I AM THE ICEMAN!!

Do not try to diminish what Jason, and Iceman have accomplished! Believe me, Its all a matter of
    RAW SKILL, not easy oil! ( Come show Iceman and The Dude how easy American Oil is, my offer stands!

Don't make Iceman and Jason come up to Canada, and unlike the American Hockey team, lose to an Canada!

Science has actually recently discovered that the bowling oil in Canada is MUCH easier to bowl on! They are at a lose as to why averages are lower, but hope to have the answer in the near future! ( Could it be that Americans are the best bowlers in the Fricken World!!) That might be the conclusion they come up with! LOL
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 02-24-2014 at 09:53 AM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 39

Haha.....I get what you're saying Iceman, we've already concluded that you must have special bowling genes, since I'm pretty sure not everybody who bowls at your lanes bowls over 200+ avg. . I guess we'll never know for sure though.....If I were single I'd probably take you up on that offer, but my wife already gets pissed off when I spend a night in Germany for a tourney .

I also don't mean to make it sound like I was just singling out you and Jason.....or even just the members of this board. You hear about people shooting 300s and 800s in the states a lot on the internet....and you almost never see them at the centers I play at....maybe once or twice a year, and 800s maybe once every 3 years or so. Of course, in the early 00's there used to be a lot more, but now there is different people conditioning the lanes, and they are not as easy as they used to be.

It's becoming more and more clear to me though just how much a difference the condition of the lanes makes! Not even just the oil pattern, but the lanes themselves, and the condition of the backends makes a huge difference.

Who knows...maybe one day we'll get to have our international showdown. I might just wait a while till you get a bit older and aren't such a superhero so I have a better chance :P
    Last edited by Hampe; 02-24-2014 at 10:30 AM.
    Company League Average: 198.1
    City League Average: 186.5
    WTBA Sport pattern League Average: 172.9
    Current Arsenal: Roto Grip Nomad Pearl, Wrecker, and Hyper Cell; Track 920A and 505A; Storm Tropical Breeze; Plastic Spare Ball

Blog Entries

Haha.....I get what you're saying Iceman, we've already concluded that you must have special bowling genes, since I'm pretty sure not everybody who bowls at your lanes bowls over 200+ avg. . I guess we'll never know for sure though.....If I were single I'd probably take you up on that offer, but my wife already gets pissed off when I spend a night in Germany for a tourney .

I also don't mean to make it sound like I was just singling out you and Jason.....or even just the members of this board. You hear about people shooting 300s and 800s in the states a lot on the internet....and you almost never see them at the centers I play at....maybe once or twice a year, and 800s maybe once every 3 years or so. Of course, in the early 00's there used to be a lot more, but now there is different people conditioning the lanes, and they are not as easy as they used to be.

It's becoming more and more clear to me though just how much a difference the condition of the lanes makes! Not even just the oil pattern, but the lanes themselves, and the condition of the backends makes a huge difference.

Who knows...maybe one day we'll get to have our international showdown. I might just wait a while till you get a bit older and aren't such a superhero so I have a better chance :P

LOL,,, It's in our DNA Hampe!! Nothing to do with the lanes...! If your going to wait to bowl Iceman, better make that 20 years bud!! I am a finely tuned , working out, bowing machine!!! LOL

My Dad is 87, and goes to the gym, like me, 4 times a week, can bowl 200, and in golf hits in the low 80s to mid 80s! He carries his clubs on his shoulder, (((will not ride, or even use a fricken pull cart))! He is an Animal!! I come form good stuff!!

Might be a long wait hamper, if your waiting for Iceman to melt!! LOL.... LOL!!!!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Blog Entries

Default Back to the subject..lol

Congrats on your 7 place finish!! You mentioned that you were having problems with the slide..... take the slide out of the equation, wear open toe leather sandals with non slide soles! That's what Iceman wears..... sliding is way over rated IMHO!! ( I never wear bowling shoes, find sandals much more comfortable! (They are a dedicated pair, that I keep in my bowling bag) So no damage to the lanes. (
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 02-24-2014 at 11:32 AM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    Congrats on your 7 place finish!!
    Agreed!

Banned
    Chats: 68

Good for you Bud!! In regards to the lanes ICEMAN plays on, easy oil lol,,, I have had many young, middle aged, men and women come up to me and say, I have been bowing here many years, and no 300s,,, how do you do it! That night, James with a 220 average had a 195 game, and struggled that night!

My reply is always, "I am The Iceman! some of them with 200 plus averages, but no 300, or 800! Remember when I bowled that last 300, I also had a 780 series. I really thought that I was going to throw two 300s, and a 800 that evening... 300, 216, and then 8 stirkes in a role, before the series ended, for a 264!
    Its not EASY Lanes,,, come on down and give it a try!! You can stay at my place!! I will pay for your trip, if you throw a 300.... lol ... (

Iceman, here is a guy approximately in your area. Check out his Honor Scores. Member ID: 929-12126

Banned
    Chats: 68

The final was this saturday...so here's the update:
    I only finished 7th place out of 10. The pattern on the lanes was super easy, but I went at it the wrong way at first which made it a bit impossible to catch up. All the oil was in the middle and outside of board 10 was super dry. Pretty much the only mistake you could make was getting outside of board 10 too early. I tried to go at it like I normally do on dry conditions, using more forward role/less axis tilt (less hand) which was going Ok, but was not the optimal way to play that pattern.

I also had some trouble with the approaches...I kept slipping on my 2nd step and then getting stuck at the line on my slide (4th step) the first few games. I nearly ended up on the lane a few times, and getting stuck like that kept making me miss my target just left. I corrected that by standing farther back on the approach, and I also started giving the ball more hand and opening up the lane. That was what I should have been doing the whole time. I averaged 214 the last 4 games after I got everything sorted out, but it was too late. The lanes were too easy to be able to catch up....The winner shot 215 avg for the whole 9 games.

It was fun though....the lanes were super easy/fun to play (once I figured out how), but I would have liked to do better. The experience showed me once again that I REALLY need to get some good shoes with switchable soles. It's not the first time I've had issues on approaches in a center that I've never played in before.

I also think this gave me some insight as to how so many people in the States can average 220+ so quickly, when some of the best players around here who have played their whole lives can't. If the lanes that Iceman plays on are anything like the lanes this weekend, then I can completely understand how someone can average 200+ the first season they start bowling . That might be the first time I've played on a pattern that was that easy.
    What you describe pretty much is the Typical House Shot we see around here.

The proprietors and ball companies in the USA have pretty much raped the sport of bowling.

It sounds like in your area the people in charge still think of bowling as a sport.

Blog Entries

Default Guys first name??

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Iceman, here is a guy approximately in your area. Check out his Honor Scores. Member ID: 929-12126
    Hummmm,, I put the ID number in several times, it keeps asking for at least the persons first name.... strange in the past all I needed was ID number!

I guy I have bowled with here in town and a friend, check this guy out! He is 59 and now has a guy sponsoring him in tournaments.

Pate Henderson, Missouri,,, I might be able to find his number but this guy is in the Missouri Hall of Fame (bowling)
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Blog Entries

Default Here is the guy I mentioned

Patrick Henderson

Member ID: 1335-995 is in the Missouri hall of fame.

I will tell you another one that will be in the Hall of Fame,,, my own nemesis in Me vs Michael (Jason!!) At 24, he is running up some great numbers! He reminds me a lot of that young man that bowled against Belmonte this last week! About the same stature, and same incredible speed, and rev rate!
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 02-25-2014 at 11:01 AM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Hummmm,, I put the ID number in several times, it keeps asking for at least the persons first name.... strange in the past all I needed was ID number!

I guy I have bowled with here in town and a friend, check this guy out! He is 59 and now has a guy sponsoring him in tournaments.

Pate Henderson, Missouri,,, I might be able to find his number but this guy is in the Missouri Hall of Fame (bowling)
    Make sure you check the "By Member ID" button when searching by a member number.
    http://membership.bowl.com/USBCsearch/SearchMembers.jsp

#929-12126 is a Russ S. Wilson

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast