Thread: Tournament Average

Default Tournament Average

A few months ago I was talking to the Tulsa association president and he told me there was a change in the rules where you now use your composite average in tournaments.

This is posted on bowl.com
    http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn....ent%206.24.pdf
    4. Entering average:
    a. Previous season's highest of:
    1) A single USBC league average based on a minimum of 21 games.
    2) A composite average of all USBC leagues, including leagues with less than 21 games.
    b. If no average last year, use highest current season USBC average at the time of entry for 21 or more games.
    c. Bowlers with neither of the above averages must bowl scratch.

This is off of the entry form for the state tournament
    http://bowloklahoma.com/forms/20131015113755949.pdf
    8 ENTERING AVERAGE
    a. Highest certified average of either the 2012-2013 winter or summer season with a minimum of 21 games OR the Bowlers 2012-2013 composite average. verifiable by bowl.com

This says OR so can I chose which average goes in.

According to the way I am reading this you would still use the highest average. What I don't understand is why is composite even listed if you are still going to have to use your highest average. I can not see how the composite could possibly be higher then the highest average unless you did some subbing or quit a league and had less then 21 games.
    USBC #9327-540
    In the Bag:
    Storm IQ Tour Fusion, Brunswick Mastermind Genisu, Roto Grip Asylum and Ebonite Maxim
    Final Book Averages for Fall:192 Current averages in Summer: PBA 182, Tuesday 202, Thursday 205

Chats: 506

if u have a high avg of 100 and your other avgs are 99 92 95 but last year you avged 105 104 110 and ur comp avg is 103 these are just numbers out my head prob not right but do u get the idea?
    Last edited by noeymc; 02-16-2014 at 04:51 PM.
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Quote Originally Posted by noeymc View Post
    if u have a high avg of 100 and your other avgs are 99 92 95 but last year you avged 105 104 110 and ur comp avg is 103 these are just numbers out my hate prob not right but do u get the idea?
    Your composite is the average of your averages for each season it dont carry over for additional years.
    This takes in account of every game you have bowled if you sub for one week it is supposed to be submitted and used to calculate your composite
    So last year i bowled 2 leagues
    Rockwell 186 93 games
    PBA experience 168 39 games
    (the PBA wasnt certified as sport)
    so my composite for last year was 181 132 games
    For what is posted so far this year
    Rockwell 186 48 games
    Ultimate 191 54 games
    My third league aint on there yet.
    Composite 189 102 games
    USBC #9327-540
    In the Bag:
    Storm IQ Tour Fusion, Brunswick Mastermind Genisu, Roto Grip Asylum and Ebonite Maxim
    Final Book Averages for Fall:192 Current averages in Summer: PBA 182, Tuesday 202, Thursday 205

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I don't understand the rule change either since only a very few bowlers could possibly have a higher composite average than any single league average.

By the way, sport averages are excluded from the composite because the lane conditions are so much different from the regular ones.

In theory the composite average should be a truer standard since it includes more games, under a variety of 'typical' house conditions.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I would say the rule was probably worded improperly.

Given if your wanting to enter the thing to do would be to contact the tournament director for a clarification of the rule.

Barring that I would go with the highest average regardless of whether it was single league or composite.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post

In theory the composite average should be a truer standard since it includes more games, under a variety of 'typical' house conditions.
    This is exactly what me and the president of our local was talking about when he told me about this rule change.
    USBC #9327-540
    In the Bag:

Just put in 300 for your average - no one will contest that or ask that you be re-rated